Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
explains a lot about marklogic then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

interesting call with recruiter that brought me this position

they actually wanted to give me a coaching session so that I can be better prepared going in to the interview tomorrow

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Fool posted:

they actually wanted to give me a coaching session so that I can be better prepared going in to the interview tomorrow
recruiters who are actually good at their jobs, who see their function as working to get you placed in a good position, are rare but they do exist

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

explains a lot about marklogic then

previous

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Fool posted:

you have found one of the rare but existent Good Recruiters. keep them in your contacts list until one of you retires. if you’re in nyc refer me to them, i don’t even need a new job right now but recruiters like that are invaluable.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i had to google this and this seems pretty good

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/08/09/the-joel-test-12-steps-to-better-code/

my previous employer gets a whopping score of 1 based on this test, and even then it's hard to give them the full point

those 12 points are fairly good, but I've been reading his ideas about interviewing, and, well, this bit seems a bit dodgy.:

quote:

You’re going to see three types of people in your interviews. At one end of the scale, there are the unwashed masses, lacking even the most basic skills for this job. They are easy to ferret out and eliminate, often just by asking two or three quick questions. At the other extreme you’ve got your brilliant superstars who write lisp compilers for fun, in a weekend, in Assembler for the Nintendo DS. And in the middle, you have a large number of “maybes” who seem like they might just be able to contribute something.

The trick is telling the difference between the superstars and the maybes, because the secret is that you don’t want to hire any of the maybes. Ever.

maybe if you're hiring at FAANGS that is workable, but I don't think that makes sense for 90% of the companies out there

unless there's a massive surplus of qualified programmers I missed somehow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

every superstar itt feel free to post your thoughts (mere rockstars not welcome tho)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Joel test is twenty years old and was written by a guy at a very small company. It was good advice for that time and situation, but it shouldn't be taken as a universal prescription for how to do things.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

The Joel test is twenty years old and was written by a guy at a very small company. It was good advice for that time and situation, but it shouldn't be taken as a universal prescription for how to do things.

almost everything in that list except the hallway test is applicable to every shop

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

quote:

For this example, lets put two programmers, Jeff and Mutt, in open cubicles next to each other in a standard Dilbert veal-fattening farm. Mutt can’t remember the name of the Unicode version of the strcpy function. He could look it up, which takes 30 seconds, or he could ask Jeff, which takes 15 seconds. Since he’s sitting right next to Jeff, he asks Jeff. Jeff gets distracted and loses 15 minutes of productivity (to save Mutt 15 seconds).

I feel like this is a personal attack.

Maybe Mutt just wanted to have a conversation and wasn't thinking of productivity like that. gently caress you Jeff, we're no longer friends.

But yeah, I do feel that a lot of this applies to the modern environment with some slight updates needed. Like, does any company not use version control? Isn't that just kind of a given in this day in age; like even non-technical manager types know what it is at this point and know something is wrong if it isn't there?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

recruiters are messy bitches who love drama.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

drunk mutt posted:

I feel like this is a personal attack.

Maybe Mutt just wanted to have a conversation and wasn't thinking of productivity like that. gently caress you Jeff, we're no longer friends.

But yeah, I do feel that a lot of this applies to the modern environment with some slight updates needed. Like, does any company not use version control? Isn't that just kind of a given in this day in age; like even non-technical manager types know what it is at this point and know something is wrong if it isn't there?

the only point i’m giving my previous employer is for having a bug database. only half the engineering teams used it though

there was a big initiative to try to start using source control while i was there though. it was because an entire customer’s code was lost when an employee left and they wiped his hard drive. woopsy.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 22, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo lmao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

almost everything in that list except the hallway test is applicable to every shop

see at my current employer that's the only one we unequivocally do, well that and fixing bugs before anything else

some of the other ones are debatable - there's source control but commits only come every few months and it's cvs, there's build scripts of sorts, there's definitely specifications but not exactly up-to-date (barely for the current year if that), there's a vague schedule, there was a bug tracker at one point but nobody used it, and the working environment is fairly quiet, probably more than any other place I've seen, though my coworker still keeps chatting with me but he's a bit junior so whatever

then again that's the same place with a custom standard library and stuff, so could be worse

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Why do you ppl work at these places? I would 180 out of any place that doesn't have version control and proper CI set up.

The list is not great though, and lol at all the "read my series of posts on how to X" crosslinks.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the list is good and using hyperlinks to add to a written text in a natural way is a sadly lost art.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the only point i’m giving my previous employer is for having a bug database. only half the engineering teams used it though

there was a big initiative to try to start using source control while i was there though. it was because an entire customer’s code was lost when an employee left and they wiped his hard drive. woopsy.

I'm not sure a bug tracker is useful without the ability to refer to a specific version of the software so I'm not sure you can even hand them that one

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Xarn posted:

Why do you ppl work at these places? I would 180 out of any place that doesn't have version control and proper CI set up.

The list is not great though, and lol at all the "read my series of posts on how to X" crosslinks.

one of my standard interview questions (as the prospective hire) is "What kind of CI do you have?". If they answer with anything other than 1-click builds I don't want to work there. To me it's the canary in the coalmine. If they don't care about how the code gets into the codebase at a software company, what else are they shortchanging / not bothering with?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

I lean towards providing a simple curl | md5 example and a show off tf example.

nice to have something that can run w/o aws creds

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this would be the pro move, yeah

This was indeed the pro move and thank you guys for the advice.

I ended up doing a powershell example, a curl | md5 example, and a tf/azure function(python) example

They specifically called it out as one of the best submissions they've had, I was the only candidate to submit multiple languages, and one of two candidates to submit a complete application (not just for this position, but for overall hiring for this team)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you did too much

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Management posted:

you did too much

maybe, but it was like 2 hours of work while watching tv, not really worried about it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

maybe, but it was like 2 hours of work while watching tv, not really worried about it

whats tf here? tensorflow?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
terraform, i bet

the next step is you gotta confirm that all the other candidates weren't sucky cuz the company is sucky or bad at sales

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, two interviews today from same company, both of them almost entirely useless. just wanted to shoot the poo poo, tell me about stuff they did when they started a long time ago, and asked me no technical questions at all. I can yak with these guys all day but it’s just a waste of time and probably a red flag.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

ugh, two interviews today from same company, both of them almost entirely useless. just wanted to shoot the poo poo, tell me about stuff they did when they started a long time ago, and asked me no technical questions at all. I can yak with these guys all day but it’s just a waste of time and probably a red flag.
interviews where 50% of the session is spent by the interviewer telling his life story are so goddamn infuriating

i assume its a position that theyve already decided who they want to hire (probably an internal candidate) so you get all dressed up and take time off and something that is a literal waste of your time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres also they just decided on you based on resume and projects

i once did that when i was a complete noob to givin interviews and just decided to hire a dude cuz he had real good gh projects. it was a great hire but i prolly shouldnt have done that

uhh i actually read peeps code on github every time to procrastinate on doin actual work so i am basically a weirdo monster and you should pretend i dont exist

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had people shoot the poo poo with me and I usually just take it as an informal behavioral interview. do you want to work with someone who can't have a conversation? if there's no technical questions at all for the whole loop it's pretty bad but if it's just one or two people then eh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

same. shooting the poo poo lets me know a lot more than an algo interview about the company interviewing me. best is when we shoot the poo poo while I solve the thing I guess but that's hard to pull off

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I always take it as them checking if you are a psycho TBH. people start talking about the most sexist and awful poo poo when they sense the conversation is no longer ‘formal’.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Economy must be recovering. After a few months of silence I got two pieces of recruiter spam today. I guess it's nice to feel wanted.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the recruiter spam never stops because when the pickings get slimmer they have fewer warm leads so to make quota and eat they spam harder

when pickings are fat they still spam to get while the getting is easy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that reminds me of one of my favorite hr/recruiting phenomena - the booth at the job fair for a company that isnt hiring

(they booked that booth a year ago, before the downturn, and the hr team needs to justify its continued budget and headcount, so the show goes on)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

whats tf here? tensorflow?

team fortress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

that reminds me of one of my favorite hr/recruiting phenomena - the booth at the job fair for a company that isnt hiring

(they booked that booth a year ago, before the downturn, and the hr team needs to justify its continued budget and headcount, so the show goes on)

also seemingly every person at every company in a hiring freeze deludes themselves that it is ending next month.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also seemingly every person at every company in a hiring freeze deludes themselves that it is ending next month.

and all those people that just left, we will totally get new headcount to replace them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i will repeat

programmers act like you are not allowed to lie in business

you are totally allowed to lie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah all the laws are just about which very specific lies you can’t tell, and even those are feeling pretty soft these days, eg tesla

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

is linkedin still the place I should be pressing the jobs button or is there a newer site with an even dumber name I should be using?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've had better luck with Indeed. I think it depends on where you are and what your specialty is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ultrafilter posted:

I've had better luck with Indeed. I think it depends on where you are and what your specialty is.

i got my current job through indeed