Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What is Among Us?

It's a social deduction style game in the vein of Mafia or Town of Salem. There's 10 players that are working to fix a spaceship while 1-3 impostors sabotage systems and kill off players. Players can report a dead body that starts the real meat of the game: the discussion. You get a minute or two to discuss what happened and accuse players followed by a vote. Whoever gets the majority of the votes is ejected off of the ship. Crewmates can win by ejecting all the impostors or by completely fixing the ship. Impostors win by killing all the crewmates but there also a couple of mission-critical sabotage targets that have to be fixed within a certain timeframe.

Why is it so popular all of a sudden?

Among Us is currently third in the top player count on Steam, below CSGO and DOTA 2. It's actually 2 years old but got picked up by streamers recently, possibly due to a game bundle from the devs, and just exploded. Playing with pubs sucks, there's random accusations and people DCing if they're not the impostor but when it works, the game is tons of fun. There's a lot of strategy going on from both sides and successfully convincing your friends to kick someone off is amazing.

So how do you play?

As a crewmate, your most basic job is just to complete your tasks. Everybody gets a list of tasks to do that once completed, fixes the ship and wins the game for the crew. Tasks can vary widely in what they require, some just make you sit for a length of time while others are more akin to really easy minigames. Take note of how long certain tasks take because the most important job is looking out for the impostor. Did someone "finish" a task too quickly? Are they avoiding the mission-critical tasks like fixing o2 or the reactor? Are they following you around? Going off by yourself to do tasks can be less important because it makes you a target and also makes it harder to gain information. Moving around and taking note of which players are where can help you narrow down the suspects when a body is discovered.

As an impostor, your job is to kill everyone. Impostors can kill, vent and sabotage. Kill is self-explanatory, you immediately kill a crewmember, leaving their gruesome corpse on the ground but kill has a cooldown before it can be done again. Vent lets you hop into a vent and emerge in a different room, great for getting away unseen although obviously it's suspicious if you enter a room and aren't seen leaving. Sabotage lets you break various items around the ship. Breaking o2 or reactor forces players to fix them within 30 seconds or they lose, lights makes it harder to see and sabotaging a room closes the doors for a short period of time. You also get a list of fake tasks so that you have some plausible deniability during discussion but you can't actually do them. You can just hang around near the task item for the appropriate length of time to throw crewmembers off the scent but some tasks have a clear visual component that can't be faked, like medbay and shooting asteroids. During discussion, you can try to accuse people who were alone or turn the tables on your accusers.

Overall, the game is super fun but much more so with friends. It's super cheap on Steam and free (with ads) on mobile, it even supports PC crossplay. Oh and I also recommend turning on mouse + keyboard controls so that you can sabotage and move at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just picked it up this game looks funny as gently caress

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I loving love mungus.

Pro-tip: beyond just ensuring mouse and keyboard is enabled, there are quick key commands for things:

WASD - movement
Q - kill (impostor only)
E - Use (activate a task, open doors, etc)
R - Report body (impostors can do this too)
Space - Use
Tab - Toggle map (you can move with the map up with mouse and keyboard controls, but you can’t use/kill/report)

Pretty sus not to mention the keyboard commands, Red.

Empere
Dec 30, 2008
Although I’m sure their workload is unenviable now, I am really glad that InnerSloth got a huge hit with this after they stuck with improving the game after it released to modest numbers. Among Us is super cute and fun to play. I’m always happy when an indie hits it big.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, it's quite fun and it sounds like they're working on Among Us 2. I tried to join their discord but it was full which I didn't even know was a thing. 620k members!

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

if anyone wants to try to get some groups together we have a discord and stuff set up here
https://discord.gg/eCSNM8u

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think my favorite thing so far about this game is that you're still allowed to do tasks even as a ghost, that way you have something to do for the rest of the round

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I had a fantastic game tonight as the sole impostor in a crew of seven total on Polus.

The first I took out on my way through communications, heading straight for the sensors and then vitals so I could be seen far enough away. I pointed out that I saw 3 of us on the sensors near O2, with a lone crew person in the lab and a final unaccounted for somewhere in the map. Among the three near O2 was the discoverer of the body. A good friend, Red, blundered in the final seconds of voting by changing his story about which task he had supposedly been completing, and was voted off. The game continues, two crew members lost.

We split into two groups, which was a very bad move for my cyan partner. I cut the lights, snapped his neck as he played Simon Says in the Specimen Room, and quickly made my way back through Admin to check sensors and form a cover story. By the time lights were back on, the remaining 3 had all grouped in Electrical and Security, so I vented my way to the outside of the lab.

Knowing there was probably someone watching cams, I made sure to walk toward the outside of the office window and then back to the right to be seen crossing the camera from that direction and entering the Office from that side. Cyan and I had run to respond to lights together but got separated in the dark somewhere in the lab, I’d say. A red light glows on the wall. My “task” is swiping my boarding pass. I’ll check vitals while I’m here again. I’ve built a reputation tonight for being deductive and inquisitive and have yet to play impostor. I’m golden if I sell it well. I take a quick trip to sensors for a picture of things, and I see my remaining prey have also spread out, as Cyan and I did. My cover thickens.

There’s a crew member in the lab. Another in Weapons—we had upload/download so that’s my next task. A lone crew member appears to be on cameras.

I move toward the left exit, sabotaging the seismic stabilizers on my way out. There’s three of us nearby, and it’ll be perfect if I time it to be seen responding to the crisis. I pick right, so does Blue. I move left, alarms still blaring. I catch a glimpse of Black near Storage. I keep moving left, spotting White almost at the catwalk.

The risks are high, but I make a move. Trapping White on the cat walk, I plunge my knife in his back repeatedly and beat a hasty retreat. I gamble on the vent and make it just in time to see Black running to the left accompanied by the constant beat of the emergency alert. I move right through the vent and pop out next to the lab. I run quickly down around Storage before Black reports the body.

Black has now stumbled on two corpses, and everyone sees that Cyan has been dead for some time. Red’s
unjust demise still fresh in everyone’s minds, mistakes cannot be made.

“I saw White heading toward the left stabilizer, so I broke to cover cams,” I state. “I saw Black vent out on the left side, this is absolutely a self-report.”

“Yeah, you were with me at the right side at first, I haven’t seen Black since I fixed lights,” added Blue.

Blue votes. I vote. Black pleads at first but realizing the fix is in, she laughs hysterically.

It’s defeat for many, but victory for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The one major issue I've had with this game(aside from some minor connection issues) is that there's a tendancy once the amount of living crew is down to five or less for everyone to just clump together in a big ball to go finish their tasks and at that point there's really not much the Imposter can do to try and win, hopefully Among Us 2 will add some features to make that a much less viable strategy cause it's kinda boring(especially if you're a dead crewmember who finished all of their tasks like ten minutes ago)

Also there's a part of me that thinks maybe it should be changed so that whenever a meeting gets called that rather than it possibly ending with no one getting ejected(a lot of the games I've played we'll have like ten meetings and maybe 3 of those will result in an actual vote), instead it always has to end with someone getting the boot(and if it's a tie than everyone who tied gets booted), among other things it makes reporting a body or calling an emergency meeting much riskier for the Crew and also makes it riskier to use to abort a crisis event

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Started playing this evening. It's surprisingly fun even with randos and without voice chat. Just had my first round as a solitary imposter in a 10 man game and I won. My heart is still racing 15 minutes later. Played them like a goddamn fiddle lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I think my favorite thing so far about this game is that you're still allowed to do tasks even as a ghost, that way you have something to do for the rest of the round

I wish that wasnt the case. I like muting my mic, listening to the drama, and giggling while playing something else.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The one major issue I've had with this game(aside from some minor connection issues) is that there's a tendancy once the amount of living crew is down to five or less for everyone to just clump together in a big ball to go finish their tasks and at that point there's really not much the Imposter can do to try and win, hopefully Among Us 2 will add some features to make that a much less viable strategy cause it's kinda boring(especially if you're a dead crewmember who finished all of their tasks like ten minutes ago)

Also there's a part of me that thinks maybe it should be changed so that whenever a meeting gets called that rather than it possibly ending with no one getting ejected(a lot of the games I've played we'll have like ten meetings and maybe 3 of those will result in an actual vote), instead it always has to end with someone getting the boot(and if it's a tie than everyone who tied gets booted), among other things it makes reporting a body or calling an emergency meeting much riskier for the Crew and also makes it riskier to use to abort a crisis event

If people stay grouped up you can sabotage the lights and kill while everyone is clumped up in a "stack." No one will be able to see who did it.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

The one major issue I've had with this game(aside from some minor connection issues) is that there's a tendancy once the amount of living crew is down to five or less for everyone to just clump together in a big ball to go finish their tasks and at that point there's really not much the Imposter can do to try and win)

A big part of this game is unfortunately finding a good collection of players to lobby with, since its really only tenuously held together by manners and sportsmanship, its really easy to break the game as crew even accidentally.

Intentionally grouping with 5 total crew alive (so up to 7 players) is basically griefing, you should leave lobbies that consistently do this.

Intentionally grouping with 5 total players alive though is normal. Expecting crew to not do this is expecting them to lose the game on purpose. It's important that you play with visual tasks and confirm ejections off as well, and that even as imposter you leave some doubt when you get voted off.

Mira (cloud map) is really bad for this because there's basically nowhere to be except in a big group, and the logs station heavily limits imposters' ability to vent around. The other two maps are pretty good though.

Another note for imposters is that it'a suspicious to push for votes with 7 or 4 players left unless you have basically eyewitness proof. The game ends as an imposter victory when the crew and imposter counts are equal, so, if you vote wrong on either 4 or 7 you will lose the game next round to either a single or double kill respectively.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also there's the oxygen or seismic sabotage that forces the group to split up, although you have to be careful with that one.

e:

municipal shrimp posted:

if anyone wants to try to get some groups together we have a discord and stuff set up here
https://discord.gg/eCSNM8u

I had some great games with goons earlier this evening. Join us!

Taeke fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 23, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah get in the discord. I didn't even use voice chat and I had a great time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Are we keen to start some goon games? Is there a discord for this already?

e: Durr, nevermind

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I was playing with a Discord group(several different ones on the same channel in fact)

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Good games goons!

I especially loved how Ineffable got stuck and we voted them off the ship to fix it :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Among Us 2 cancelled! Because it's getting rolled into Among Us 1

https://innersloth.itch.io/among-us/devlog/181107/the-future-of-among-us

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 24, 2020

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Awesome, a friend list would really help this game a lot. Being able to stay in touch with cool randos you enjoyed playing with and eventually building a list of people you play with regularly would really help. A new map would be cool, but Henry Stickmin doesn't appeal to me at all.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Those updates sound good, looking forward to it.

I had a good time yesterday too, even though I've cemented myself as the worst imposter ever lol. Voice chat is a whole different beast.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I played this in August as a game night thing for my birthday and honestly I haven't stopped playing it since that night. A piece of advice for people wanting to play with voice chat but not having a friend group big enough: there are a few streamers that have discords with fairly active lobbies to play in. I've had decent experiences in both 5up (usually 2-3 lobbies, but very clique-y) and Jellypeanut (at least 5 lobbies going in off hours) discords for matchmaking. I've never used the actual Innersloth discord for finding games, but it is also extremely active (50+ lobbies).

And remember: ghosts do your tasks! One of the first games I played with randoms we had a guy die round 1, get in his car, and drive somewhere to do something. He was still in voice chat, because he's 20 and dumb, but left his computer and lost us the game because we could not complete tasks and none of the votes came close to getting off the last impostor. If you absolutely have to go somewhere or be afk after dying, just quit the game!!! It takes your tasks away from the total to complete.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I just downloaded this game last night. It is hilarious and fun. The first time I was the Impostor, I murdered a guy, then reported the corpse. Immediately I starting stating that I saw Cyan leaving the room where I found the body. Everyone unanimously votes them off. Upon seeing that they weren't the Impostor, I was immediately found out and voted off / lost upon restart.

With that, the next game round was all the same 10 people. And somehow I was the Impostor again! This time around I played it normal, walking about, got 2 kills off, then just waited for a report to happen. Someone mentions that the report is suspect, and everyone gang-piles on the vote, so 3 are gone and no one suspects me. At restart I again play it normal, get a kill off, and then group up with another player, 'completing tasks'. Someone reports the body, and 2 players accuse each other. No one is voted off but everyone suspects those 2 players. Game continues and I made sure to kill one of those players. I report the kill and the other player gets voted off. At restart White immediately calls a meeting. Everyone is discussing who it could be. White suspects me, but then I'm defended by the other remaining 2 players, both claiming that, Green was just the Impostor last round though! - Everyone turns on White because they called the meeting and were vocal about it being me. White is thus voted off. At restart I immediately kill one of two the remaining players and claim victory. It was hilarious and man this game is loving fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tzen posted:

I just downloaded this game last night. It is hilarious and fun. The first time I was the Impostor, I murdered a guy, then reported the corpse. Immediately I starting stating that I saw Cyan leaving the room where I found the body. Everyone unanimously votes them off. Upon seeing that they weren't the Impostor, I was immediately found out and voted off / lost upon restart.

With that, the next game round was all the same 10 people. And somehow I was the Impostor again! This time around I played it normal, walking about, got 2 kills off, then just waited for a report to happen. Someone mentions that the report is suspect, and everyone gang-piles on the vote, so 3 are gone and no one suspects me. At restart I again play it normal, get a kill off, and then group up with another player, 'completing tasks'. Someone reports the body, and 2 players accuse each other. No one is voted off but everyone suspects those 2 players. Game continues and I made sure to kill one of those players. I report the kill and the other player gets voted off. At restart White immediately calls a meeting. Everyone is discussing who it could be. White suspects me, but then I'm defended by the other remaining 2 players, both claiming that, Green was just the Impostor last round though! - Everyone turns on White because they called the meeting and were vocal about it being me. White is thus voted off. At restart I immediately kill one of two the remaining players and claim victory. It was hilarious and man this game is loving fun.

poo poo, I gotta get in on this game. drat. :stare:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's not like a masterpiece of scum play, especially given it was in a five-person lobby (player speed at 1.75), but I managed to get the win without a single vote being called. Kill on the far side of decontamination, kill in a random spot in the middle of the map because he caught me trying to sabotage, kill by the seismic stabilizers to finish things off. A wonderfully clean feeling.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i had a game where i popped out of a vent and chased a guy down and murdered him at my friends feet and then accused him. but since nobody else saw they just said well it’s a 50/50. next round i killed a different person directly in front of him and did the same thing and people threw him off the ship. he was not happy

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Managed to win my second game ever as the imposter... Other imposter got caught venting so it was just me. Innocent called a vote early and I managed to convince everyone that was sus. Thought I had lost when the last couple of survivors realised it had to be me, but the sabotage prevented them from getting to call a meeting and it ended with me chasing them around screaming "let me stab you ok!!!" while they frantically tried to get to the button. Play with friends on voice it's great.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Game owns. It would definitely be fun to do some games with goons who wont leave, as opposed to the revolving door of random.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I scooped this up and have been working the reverse-psychology angle. Whenever I'm the impostor I confess to every murder in chat and get met with "no it's not Tyler Too, he's just trollling."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
they should just kill you every time because if you do that as a villager you're just trying to lose the game and then if you do it as a villager they should boot you from the game

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

I played this game with some friends today. Must recommend.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Verviticus posted:

they should just kill you every time because if you do that as a villager you're just trying to lose the game and then if you do it as a villager they should boot you from the game

My point was that nobody votes for me whenever I fess up. I'll stop doing it when it stops working. The only real grief potential this game has is offing someone in broad daylight and then telling everyone who the other imposter is in chat.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

My point was that nobody votes for me whenever I fess up. I'll stop doing it when it stops working. The only real grief potential this game has is offing someone in broad daylight and then telling everyone who the other imposter is in chat.

Offing someone when a bunch of people are grouped together is pretty fun.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lenins Potato posted:

Offing someone when a bunch of people are grouped together is pretty fun.

The first time it happened was a group of about 5 who had finished their tasks following one guy who hadn't. loving blew my mind that noone saw who did it. I didn't see who did it either.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How is the cross-platform play? I'm going to try and get some RL friends into a playgroup, but not all of them are Gamers, so if we can have a mix of phone folks and PC folks that will be easier on me logistically.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
How good are you at lying

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ss13 has so much to answer for.

Glazzy
May 3, 2007

Vinyl is pretty groovy

whydirt posted:

How is the cross-platform play? I'm going to try and get some RL friends into a playgroup, but not all of them are Gamers, so if we can have a mix of phone folks and PC folks that will be easier on me logistically.

This seems to work pretty fine assuming they can load voice chat on their phone as well and have it open while they play the game. Or use a laptop with discord or something. But, otherwise seamless in my experience.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's very good on voice with friends, but playing with typing is also good. It's a very different experience, for sure. I think you'd have to adjust the settings to match the shifting in where the challenge lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This game is an absolute blast with a good group and miserable with a bad one. It rules.