Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Is Ultra Q streaming anywhere. I really wanna watch it.

November it will be. Most of Ultraman and related programs are going up in November across several platforms, including Tubi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Burkion posted:

November it will be. Most of Ultraman and related programs are going up in November across several platforms, including Tubi.

I'll have to remember to check it out then.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
where can one stream Troll II for free? I already used that Cinemax free trial on Prime.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

where can one stream Troll II for free? I already used that Cinemax free trial on Prime.

Check youtube , I don't know of it streaming anywhere other than rental on Amazon Prime , or other purchase options. The only thing I'd say is that to not pay money to see it lol.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does Shudder through amazon prime have the same movies? I know it doesn’t have live-streams but I can live without those. Want to resubscribe for the challenge but I find it kind of a pain through the app, I’d rather use the amazon channel since I can access that right from my set top

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Shudder Amazon has all the same movies as the web version.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok awesome, I kept reading mixed things. Sounds like it has all of them but I may need to build a watchlist on the website as it’s all accessible on the tv app, but not listed. I can live with that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I had the Amazon Shudder for a bit but decided against it because it was difficult to search for movies.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Fright Night is one of those movies whose covers I always noticed at the video rental store when I was 10 (because it has a pretty noticeable cover) and I'm only 5 minutes into it and it's already one of the most unintentionally hilarious horror movies I've ever seen

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure it's mostly intentional.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Interesting fact about the cover for Fright Night VHS is that the design for the vampire in the film was based on the cover and not vise versa. So they had this awesome looking cover art and they were like " We should actually make that". There' a really good documentary on the making of Fright Night called You're So Cool, Brewster.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Well I know nothing whatsoever about this except what I assumed from its cover as a kid so this is actually really cool. It's dumb as hell and I like it!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Psychomania is good fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo The Loved Ones

I went in blind and had no idea what to expect and was pretty blown away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Decided to finally bite the bullet and do Martyrs tonight. Also half way through I decided to bite the bullet and do the washing up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like Shudder is getting a bunch of Vincent Price stuff on October 1st. That's gonna save me at least a few rentals.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Awww yes, that's a heck of a blind watch. Glad you enjoyed it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

Decided to finally bite the bullet and do Martyrs tonight. Also half way through I decided to bite the bullet and do the washing up.

What a great movie, I wish I could go back and see that for the first time again.

I still haven't seen the remake.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hell yes, TLO is one of my all time faves. Easily makes my top 10, maybe top 5.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Where is the October horror marathon thread?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Where is the October horror marathon thread?

Check back in 3 days

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

What a great movie, I wish I could go back and see that for the first time again.

I still haven't seen the remake.

The original Martyrs is one of my favourite movies for various reasons.
The remake didn't do much for me. I strangely barely remember it.

Also, I miss French Extremity. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My willpower is getting weak, I have to admit. I'm at the "obsessive scheduling" phase, which is a good distraction but it's no substitute for real spook a doodles.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm watching anime to avoid horror burnout. This is what it's come to (although Haikyuu! is adorable)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've already started on my challenge but I've been sick for a few days (hopefully not the plague) so it's not like I had many better things to do with my time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can start before the thread goes up?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

You can start before the thread goes up?

Technically no but nothing is really stopping you from watching movies now and logging them after the thread goes up.

The "rules" are pretty loose and nobody really takes them all that seriously, it's just a chance to challenge yourself and watch a ton of horror during the best month of the year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You can watch a spook-a-doodle whenever you want, it's not illegal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

My willpower is getting weak, I have to admit. I'm at the "obsessive scheduling" phase, which is a good distraction but it's no substitute for real spook a doodles.

My rule for this year is I'm going to watch movies in order. Which I think is a good idea but it does require some pre-planning. I've already got like ten movies from the thirties but I'm still like, "oh jeez what if I get into the forties and wish I had watched the Invisible Man movies?! I'll be screwed!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do movies like Threads and Where the Wind Blows count for the October Challenge?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Technically no but nothing is really stopping you from watching movies now and logging them after the thread goes up.

The "rules" are pretty loose and nobody really takes them all that seriously, it's just a chance to challenge yourself and watch a ton of horror during the best month of the year.

Sounds like the only person I'd be cheating is myself!

MacheteZombie posted:

Do movies like Threads and Where the Wind Blows count for the October Challenge?

Threads is on Shudder and is a feature length movie full of horror and people being horrified, so I'd be amazed if it's not.

Where the Wind Blows I'm less sure about but if you log that, I'll log Grave of the Fireflies and we can present a united front for cute-looking animated horrors

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I dont know how Grave of the Fireflies is a horror movie. That's like saying Schindler's list is a horror movie. They're both historical dramas.

They only count as horror if you use the "anything bad or horrific happening makes it a horror movie" argument which is the lamest argument.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

My rule for this year is I'm going to watch movies in order. Which I think is a good idea but it does require some pre-planning. I've already got like ten movies from the thirties but I'm still like, "oh jeez what if I get into the forties and wish I had watched the Invisible Man movies?! I'll be screwed!"

Instead of just watching all ten movies from a given decade in a row, you could instead put together cycles where you go from decade to decade throughout the month. That way you have opportunities to insert stuff if you change your mind throughout the month.

For example, you could watch Frankenstein(1931), House of Frankenstein(1944), The Curse of Frankenstein(1957), Frankenstein Created Woman(1967), Flesh for Frankenstein(1973), Re-Animator(1985), and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein(1994), that sort of thing. It would give you more wiggle room to make changes.

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't want to speak for Fran but usually nobody is very strict about the definition of horror.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I don't want to speak for Fran but usually nobody is very strict about the definition of horror.

I feel like the October challenge is the one time where a more defined idea of "horror" is fine. Since its a challenge with a prizes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like the October challenge is the one time where a more defined idea of "horror" is fine. Since its a challenge with a prizes.

Eh, nobody really is in it for the prizes either. And Fran doesn't need to be spending his time ruling on whether Movie X is horror ten times a day.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I suppose the difference between When the Wind Blows and Grave of the Fireflies is that the latter e:former is at least speculative fiction which pushes it more towards horror.

I'd put Grave and Schindler's List in the same category as The Devils

e: from last year's OP, for reference

Franchescanado posted:

What Movies Can I Watch?
:ghost: Horror Movies
:ghost: Thrillers
:ghost: Horror Comedies (Tucker & Dale vs. Evil)
:ghost: Horror Musicals (Rocky Horror, Phantom of the Paradise)
:ghost: Movies Set During or Around Halloween (Hocus Pocus, The Guest)
:ghost: Documentaries
- about Halloween (The American Scream)
- about the supernatural
- about the horror genre (Horror Noire)
- about horror movies (Never Sleep Again)
-about a subject that is justifiably horror-related (The Act of Seeing with One’s Own Eyes, Cropsey)
:ghost: Family Friendly movies that meet the above requirements (Alvin & The Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein)

(If you have questions about whether or not a movie counts, feel free to ask me.)

What DOESN'T Count
:ghost: TV Shows
:ghost: mini-series
:ghost: Masters of Horror episodes

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 22, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Last year a bunch of people counted Joker for the challenge, so I don't think the rules are very strict

Kvlt! posted:

They only count as horror if you use the "anything bad or horrific happening makes it a horror movie" argument which is the lamest argument.

Van Wilder is horror because it's about the horror of being tricked into eating dog semen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

And Fran doesn't need to be spending his time ruling on whether Movie X is horror ten times a day.

I'll do it. If anybody has a question about whether or not a movie is horror, PM me and I'll decide.

Thread: horror. It's a fictional story about Britain turning into a crazy rubble strewn rape country.

When The Wind Blows: Not horror. It's just a sad movie about a nice old couple.

Grave of the Fireflies: Not horror. Once again, not horror just sad.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

You can watch a spook-a-doodle whenever you want, it's not illegal

new thread title?

Also lol if you wouldnt be a lawbreaker extraordinaire if spookadoodles were illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been doing the Hooptober thing over on Letterboxd for the past week which will carry me into the SA spookadoodle marathon. Just drown me in the spookaroos to distract from the horrible world we live in