Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not enough love in here for Fatal Frame since we're talking recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BiggerBoat posted:

I forgot about the Fatal Frame games. Looks like they're on PS3 through PSN, and it looks like they emulate fairly well. I've not seen that much of them, but I remember the main thing you do is photograph ghosts.

-

I started Resident Evil 2 last night with Leon, and made to the point where you get the golden gear in the press room.

Moving from RE1 to RE2, I find that the game is a lot faster with everything; you move faster, menus and dialog messages animate faster, and zombies seem to move faster.

Zombies seem like they're a lot harder to deal with. They seem to tank handgun bullets a lot more than in RE1, and there's a lot more of them to deal with. What I do like, though, is that you can wrestle out of their grasp faster, and when you knock one over, it can potentially knock down a whole group of them. Shotgun shots don't seem to score headshots at close range, but maybe you have to aim up or something.

I ended up checking a guide not too far into the police station (seems like you waste time and supplies by not taking the route past the storage box first). I am glad I did, because I found out that choices between the machine gun/item pack affect the game when you move on to play as Claire. From what I gleaned, it sounds like most of the game takes place in the police station, which is a little disappointing, as I thought the game would be spread out through more locations in the city.

I'm absolutely sure this joke has been made before, but I find it funny that seemingly few people at the Racoon City Police Department thought it was odd that that the police headquarters is based out of three-story, building with a clock tower and an oddly labyrinthine layout, situated adjacent to the sewage treatment plant. At least a couple of people (based on the files I've found so far) found it odd that the decor is made up of weird statues and artwork that work on mechanisms.

Just to be clear, I'm not really putting that forth as a criticism; I get that it's set up like that so that the game has puzzles and obstacles that are creative, and the police station is basically RE2's version of the Spencer Mansion. I dunno, the police station just seems a bit more out there in comparison.

I will say that at this point, I'm real interested to see how RE2Make replicates everything, but since I'm trying to play the games in release order, it'll be a while before I get to it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Experiment with aiming up for shotgun decapitations, it might vary from game to game but seems to be good advice for classic REs. And the police station set up is a long running series in-joke, you usually find files depending on Classic or Remake that the Chief is eccentric/crazy and it was formerly a museum.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aiming up with a shotgun at close range is an instant decapitation on all zombies in the original RE games. Don’t remember if it applied in CV.

However I think just shooting RE1 zombies at close range at middle height with a shotgun just exploded their heads anyways. Probably just a way to do something cool and gross for letting a zombie get really close to kill them in one shot. RE2 upgraded that to occasionally cutting a zombie in half at the waist but leaving their top half alive. You have to aim up at close range to get the guaranteed instant kill in RE2.

There’s just so much ammo in RE2 (or maybe I’ve just memorized where all of it is) that I don’t ever remembering noticing if the zombies were tougher or not. Being able to stumble them backwards also helps to maintain distance.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Experiment with aiming up for shotgun decapitations, it might vary from game to game but seems to be good advice for classic REs. And the police station set up is a long running series in-joke, you usually find files depending on Classic or Remake that the Chief is eccentric/crazy and it was formerly a museum.

I do like that there's a file that gives a justification as to why ammo is scattered all around.

I didn't pick up on the museum thing, but maybe it's in one of the later files. It does sort of explain why the layout is like it is, and the statues.

Kibayasu posted:

Aiming up with a shotgun at close range is an instant decapitation on all zombies in the original RE games. Don’t remember if it applied in CV.

However I think just shooting RE1 zombies at close range at middle height with a shotgun just exploded their heads anyways. Probably just a way to do something cool and gross for letting a zombie get really close to kill them in one shot. RE2 upgraded that to occasionally cutting a zombie in half at the waist but leaving their top half alive. You have to aim up at close range to get the guaranteed instant kill in RE2.

There’s just so much ammo in RE2 (or maybe I’ve just memorized where all of it is) that I don’t ever remembering noticing if the zombies were tougher or not. Being able to stumble them backwards also helps to maintain distance.

RE1 did let me decapitate zombies with the shotgun at level-stance in a single shot at close range, which was fun (seemed like it was easier with Jill than Chris, but :shrug:).

The issue I have with aiming up is that it always seems like I'm aiming above the head and missing my shots. I tried it with the pistol, but maybe you can't get headshots with the pistol (would make dealing with groups of zombies a lot less wasteful). I'll have to try it with the shotgun next time I play.

That something else I meant to bring up: there doesn't seem to be auto-aim in the same way as RE1:DC. It seems like you just have to be pointing in the general direction of the enemy, and you can score hits. I actually took out the two lickers in the basement because of how the shots register.

Ammo and ink ribbons seems to be hidden about in the rooms more than they were in RE1, sometimes in places you wouldn't think to look (like behind the statue upstairs from the dark room, or by those crates in the storage room with the statutes on the wall). I dunno if the walkthrough I'm following outlines every pickup, so I could be missing a few things. I know wasted a bunch of shots trying to take out the dogs down in the basement.

-

Moving outside of RE2 for a moment, I'm writing down a checklist of RE games in chronological order. Apart from debating whether or not I should play RE: Survivor or not, I realized I had forgotten about Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2. Are those two worth checking out? I was under the impression they were purely online games.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Also there's no bathrooms in the RPD. Unless they too are locked behind some absurd hidden puzzle we're not privy to in our playthrough.

Doomykins posted:

This is a really solid idea, because if you fire between aiming up and aiming right ahead at a zombie you can sometimes bisect them. It's annoying to deal with but a really cool feature for a 1998 PSOne game to have that sort of attention to detail.

Max Wilco posted:

That something else I meant to bring up: there doesn't seem to be auto-aim in the same way as RE1:DC. It seems like you just have to be pointing in the general direction of the enemy, and you can score hits. I actually took out the two lickers in the basement because of how the shots register.

I think controller Type C has the auto-aim function enabled. It's been a while since I touched RE2 vanilla though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Max Wilco posted:

I do like that there's a file that gives a justification as to why ammo is scattered all around.

I didn't pick up on the museum thing, but maybe it's in one of the later files. It does sort of explain why the layout is like it is, and the statues.

I think it's in the secretary's diary in the office on the east side of the second floor. OG '98 Irons was a dual classed art fanatic/serial killer, which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the RPD set up shop in a decommissioned museum in the first place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also there's no bathrooms in the RPD. Unless they too are locked behind some absurd hidden puzzle we're not privy to in our playthrough.

"For God's sake Chief, I don't have time to move paintings around to open the door every time I have to poo poo!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BiggerBoat posted:

I love the Fatal Frame games but for the life of me, I never could get good enough at the "combat" aspect of taking pictures of ghosts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

RE1 did let me decapitate zombies with the shotgun at level-stance in a single shot at close range, which was fun (seemed like it was easier with Jill than Chris, but :shrug:).

The issue I have with aiming up is that it always seems like I'm aiming above the head and missing my shots. I tried it with the pistol, but maybe you can't get headshots with the pistol (would make dealing with groups of zombies a lot less wasteful). I'll have to try it with the shotgun next time I play.

Ammo and ink ribbons seems to be hidden about in the rooms more than they were in RE1, sometimes in places you wouldn't think to look (like behind the statue upstairs from the dark room, or by those crates in the storage room with the statutes on the wall). I dunno if the walkthrough I'm following outlines every pickup, so I could be missing a few things. I know wasted a bunch of shots trying to take out the dogs down in the basement.

-

Moving outside of RE2 for a moment, I'm writing down a checklist of RE games in chronological order. Apart from debating whether or not I should play RE: Survivor or not, I realized I had forgotten about Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2. Are those two worth checking out? I was under the impression they were purely online games.

Aiming up in RE has almost always just been for enemies like the Chimera or Licker when they’re on the ceiling, crows when they’re above you, and some bosses. Pistols can’t really “headshot” outside of some dice roll stuff in certain games. Aiming up with pistols against zombies would definitely just make you miss a lot even at close range, just aim straight or down with pistols.

Zombie heads exploding in RE1 wasn’t you landing a “headshot” because you let the zombie get close, that’s how the RE1 zombies die if you kill them in one hit with something other than the grenade launcher (also when you play as Claire in RE2 let zombies get close when using the standard grenade rounds).

And yeah it’s dumb but auto-aim exists in RE2 but it just isn’t the default. Scroll through the control options until you see something that says “auto” or something instead of manual. You’ll auto lock onto the closest enemy and I think you tap L1 to scroll targets. The later releases of RE2 made auto aim the default.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I think it's in the secretary's diary in the office on the east side of the second floor. OG '98 Irons was a dual classed art fanatic/serial killer, which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the RPD set up shop in a decommissioned museum in the first place.

I found that one, which mentioned all his weird art collecting, and questions how he's able to pay for it. I missed the museum part in it, though.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I think controller Type C has the auto-aim function enabled. It's been a while since I touched RE2 vanilla though.
I'll have to check to see which controller type I have enabled. It's probably the default. I haven't really missed shots.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Medullah posted:

"For God's sake Chief, I don't have time to move paintings around to open the door every time I have to poo poo!"

See, that's what gets me, because in the Spencer Mansion, I can buy that architect was some weirdo who designed it with weird locking mechanisms, secret passages, deathtraps, etc. (There are mansions in real-life that are like that, though maybe sans the deathtraps). It's still not clear why Umbrella chose the mansion to operate out of, or how they functioned daily (the files make it seem like there was staff living in the mansion and guardhouse, but how they got down to the lab frequently isn't really clear when the only entrance seems to be the fountain. At least the guardhouse had multiple bathrooms.) Still, it's not something that really clicks until you stop and think about it.

With the police station, though, you've got to find the keys scattered throughout the station (and over in the sewer) to make it into areas like the press room, the interrogation room, the lounge, etc. It's like, was it always like this, or did the chief go, "oh poo poo" when he realized S.T.A.R.S was onto him, and so he set the whole thing up like a week before the game starts to try and impede people?

Again, I'm not trying to tear the game down with this. If the game was just set up where you shot like one zombie and got a keyring with everything you needed to get everywhere, it'd be boring. It's just kind of funny to think about.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 21, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Umbrella isn't really known for making great decisions. I mean, you'd think after the 5th monster that had giant eyes all over it that were easily exploded they'd invest in ballistic sunglasses.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Medullah posted:

Umbrella isn't really known for making great decisions. I mean, you'd think after the 5th monster that had giant eyes all over it that were easily exploded they'd invest in ballistic sunglasses.

thats some real three head thinking dawg, if you make your monsters too hard to kill how are you gonna sell more monsters. umbrellas planned obsolescence is by design

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Max Wilco posted:

With the police station, though, you've got to find the keys scattered throughout the station (and over in the sewer) to make it into areas like the press room, the interrogation room, the lounge, etc. It's like, was it always like this, or did the chief go, "oh poo poo" when he realized S.T.A.R.S was onto him, and so he set the whole thing up like a week before the game starts to try and impede people?

That's exactly it, and it's also the reason why the RPD fell so easily - nobody could find the key to the armoury.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BiggerBoat posted:

Fatal Frame is sadly a pretty mediocre series with only one or two stand-out titles that I would recommend to people without reservations. It also has the problem that every game except for the original trilogy basically appeared on a different console each, so nobody can really be recommended more than one of it unless they have a long-standing habit of hoarding consoles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardiovorax posted:

Fatal Frame is sadly a pretty mediocre series with only one or two stand-out titles that I would recommend to people without reservations. It also has the problem that every game except for the original trilogy basically appeared on a different console each, so nobody can really be recommended more than one of it unless they have a long-standing habit of hoarding consoles.

Nah. The first two games are classics, the third was a stretch, and everything after that has been an increasingly weak attempt to milk a series that was self-evidently over.

It does have an issue with inconsistent access, though. There aren't many other series that pinball between platforms as often as Fatal Frame does, and it's got a different name in every territory. (UK goons: he's talking about Project Zero.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wanderer posted:

Nah. The first two games are classics, the third was a stretch, and everything after that has been an increasingly weak attempt to milk a series that was self-evidently over.
Yeah, that was my point, really. :confused: The first two PS2 games are great, but the series has been on a more or less slow decline ever since, even without accounting for the fact that it has been basically one game per console generation. It's sort of like the Silent Hill series that way, where people remember it a lot more fondly than what the series has turned into really deserves at this point.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 22, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just got a new laptop (admittedly it's not designed for gaming) and it's having some trouble with HD Remaster. The game seems to run in slow motion sometimes.

I searched around and found some unofficial patches, but I'm a little hesitant because I'm new to PC games.

Anyone have this issue with the port? Any recommended settings to fiddle with?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What kind of specs does your laptop have? If it's because your hardware just can't run the game any faster, there's not a lot anyone can do for you.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

What kind of specs does your laptop have? If it's because your hardware just can't run the game any faster, there's not a lot anyone can do for you.

Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 10
RAM: 16 GB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that's above the minimum requirement for the HD remake, if only barely, so it might be that or it might be a weird driver issue. You say it's a real slowdown, so the game gets slower but the framerate doesn't drop? Or is there any choppiness to it. If you get frame drops in certain scenes, then it's likely that your hardware is simply reaching its limit in those situations. If there isn't, then I honestly don't know what might be causing it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I just got a new laptop (admittedly it's not designed for gaming) and it's having some trouble with HD Remaster. The game seems to run in slow motion sometimes.

I searched around and found some unofficial patches, but I'm a little hesitant because I'm new to PC games.

Anyone have this issue with the port? Any recommended settings to fiddle with?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 10
RAM: 16 GB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7

Is your laptop plugged in? I know that sounds like a patronizing question, but if you're running off of battery power, that can sometimes affect game performance (at least it did on mine.)

I don't know much about AMD hardware (or Intel hardware, for that matter), but the specs sound pretty solid. Maybe try disabling shadows if you can. I think rendering shadows is what takes up a lot of performance power.

There's a Bug Report thread for HD Remaster on Steam, so you could ask there, or maybe check to see if someone else has a similar issue. https://steamcommunity.com/app/304240/discussions/0/622955136053857025/

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That is actually entirely possible. Not every laptop goes into performance mode automatically when you plug it in. When you click the battery icon in your task bar, there should be a slider that lets you set up how much performance the system should attempt to squeeze out of your hardware. If it isn't dialled up to max yet, do so. It makes a real difference.

In addition to shadows, getting rid of anti-aliasing is also a good idea. It's usually the other big performance hog.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

through some combination of performance mode and disabling AA and shadows, it seems much smoother! I can see myself playing this!

Thank you both so much, sincerely. This is my first Windows PC and my first computer game in around 10 years and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Now to download the randomizer...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No problem, glad to help. Careful with that randomizer, if you're playing as Chris, it even randomizes away your starting gun. :v:

Enjoy the land sharks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Make sure you have it set to variable frame rate, iirc if you set it to 60 the game slows down when it can't maintain it

E: also there's some fixes on pcgamingwiki that might help

site fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 22, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
So, dusk golen says re8 is back on for cross gen and pete (yeah that pete) even liked someones tweet about it when somekne asked him. Meant to be announced very soon.

Gonna be interesting if they do vr on ps4 or not...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Max Wilco posted:

Zombies seem like they're a lot harder to deal with. They seem to tank handgun bullets a lot more than in RE1, and there's a lot more of them to deal with. What I do like, though, is that you can wrestle out of their grasp faster, and when you knock one over, it can potentially knock down a whole group of them. Shotgun shots don't seem to score headshots at close range, but maybe you have to aim up or something.
You can take out multiple zombies with a single blast, if you do it right. Basically, if a zombie’s head is within like 2 feet of the end of your barrel when its pointing up, it’s gonna explode when you fire. The hallway just to the right of the entrance let’s you take out five like that. (Depending on the scenario IIRC)

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 23, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's always how I kill Marvin. You have just enough time to point your gun up and immediately fire

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1308831789239226369

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Life without Resident Evil means... black people? Huh?

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
lmao
https://twitter.com/jkblndfrd/status/1308834237882269699

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Life without Resident Evil means... black people? Huh?

uhh its more "life is fun and sweet because CVX IS OUR MOST SICKIST FILTH YET"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Oh, okay. Sorry, there's that strange-looking line in the middle and it makes me think of "before/after" collages. I just really had no idea what else to take away from that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s....not a good ad

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

*Capcom USA's Marketing Department, circa 2001*
"We need to make an ad for Code Veronica X. What do we have for a budget and materials?"
"Uh, we've got fifteen dollars, an un-finalized thumbnail of the game's cover and a couple of stock photos we took from K-Mart frames."
"Hmmm...okay, I think I can make this work."

Seriously, though, was that cover actually used? Just an intense close-up up Claire's face?

Vikar Jerome posted:

"You wanna do wussy crap like hang out with you dad and blow bubbles on a bright sunny day? #@$& NO! You wanna play some screwed-up and hardcore, like Resident Evil: Code Veronica X! It's got zombies, prisons, mutant insects, and a Canadian guy with two golden Lugers."

It must have been fun to be a copy writer for gaming magazines back then. :allears:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
1) What the gently caress is goin on in Darkside Chronicles
2) Where is the game about communist guerrillas battling monster-wrangling traficantes in the jungle

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Vikar Jerome posted:

No, it's "This is life without resident evil. Our game is super hosed up, play it."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Right, the ad is missing a second frame where the same characters in similar poses are getting eaten by zombies and the title says "LIFE WITH RESIDENT EVIL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anonymous Robot posted:

1) What the gently caress is goin on in Darkside Chronicles

It added shaky cam to a loving on rails shooter and whoever thought that up should be shot into the sun