Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Has anyone looked into the Note 20 promo in detail because it seems like a ridiculously good deal, almost too good to be true:

quote:

UP TO $1000 OFF SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE20 5G & NOTE20 ULTRA 5G SMARTPHONES

Get up to $1000 off an eligible Samsung Galaxy smartphone when you add a new line or upgrade an existing line.

5G req’s compatible plan. 5G may not be in your area. See att.com/5Gforyou for 5G coverage details.

Limited time offer. Available in select locations.

You’ll need to:

Purchase eligible device on a qualifying installment agreement, including taxes on full retail price (up front) and $30 activation/upgrade fee.
Activate a new line or upgrade an existing line of service on an eligible AT&T unlimited wireless plan (min. $75/mo. before discounts for new customers). AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy.
Trade-in an eligible Smartphone in good working condition with a minimum trade-in value of $60 within 30 days of activation.
Then you’ll get:

The Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G for free after up to $1000 in bill credits
Up to $1000 in bill credits on the Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G.
Important notes:

Credits start within 3 bills after trade-in is completed and will be applied over 30 months. You will receive catch-up credits once bill credits start. Credit will not exceed the lower of the device cost or $1000. Other installment options may be available and credit will be applied in equal amounts over the term of the installment.
If you cancel wireless service, your credits will end and you’ll owe the balance of up to $1450.
If you cancel service on any other line on your account within 90 days of activating the line under this offer, device credits will stop.
Qualifying Installment Plan:

Requires a qualifying 0% APR installment agreement (30-mo. term at up to $48.33/mo.) Other installment options may be available and vary by location. $0 down for well-qualified customers only, or down payment may be required and depends on a variety of factors.
If buying on the AT&T Installment Plan with Next Up, customer is responsible and will not receive any credits for an additional $5/mo. for the Next Up upgrade feature.
Business customers:

As long as you have a qualified wireless service agreement for Corporate Responsibility User line of service, you can also buy on an Equipment Installment Plan (24-mo. at up to $60.42/mo. or 36-mo. at up to $40.28/mo.) and credits are applied over term of installment agreement.
You’ll need a qualified wireless plan (minimum $60/mo. for new AT&T Mobile Share Plus for Business plan before discount), but do not need an unlimited plan. Other qual. plans available. Existing customers can add to eligible current plans.
Eligible Devices:

Eligible Purchased Smartphones
Eligible Purchased Smartphones (max Credit $1000):
Samsung Galaxy: Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra 5G, (Priced up to $1450)
Eligible Trade-in Smartphones:
Minimum Trade-In value must be $60 after device condition questions have been answered
Eligible devices:
Apple: iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max
Samsung: Galaxy A50, A8+, Note8, Note 9, Note 10, Note 10+, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Active, Galaxy S8 Duos, Galaxy S8+, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Galaxy S9+ Duos, Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10 5G, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10E
Google: Pixel 2, 2XL, 3, 3 XL, 3a, 3a XL
LG: G8 ThinQ, V40 ThinQ, V50 ThinQ
Motorola: Z4
Other: RED Hydrogen One, Razer 2, OnePlus 5
Additional Terms:

See att.com/unlimited for current unlimited plans. Retired unlimited plans may also qualify (excluding prepaid, session-based, and Data Unlimited at $45/mo. plans). Speed, usage & other restr's apply. For plans available to business customers, see https://www.business.att.com/categories/mobile-rate-plans.html.
This is not an early upgrade program. Trade-in device may not be on existing installment plan.
Trade-in does not relieve obligations under any AT&T installment agreement program or other AT&T Return and Exchange programs including recently-purchased device returns, Warranty, or Extended Warranty. Devices to be returned through these AT&T programs should not be traded in via this credit.
If trade-in value of device is greater than the credit you are eligible for, you may receive a one-time trade-in credit (value via instant credit or promo card) in lieu of this bill credit. See att.com/tradein for terms.
To qualify for bill credits, wireless line must be on an installment agreement, and remain active & in good standing for 30 days.
Installment agreement starts when device is shipped.
To get all the credits, the discounted device must remain on installment agreement and you must keep eligible service for entire installment term.
If you upgrade or pay up/off the installment agreement on the discounted device early, your credits may cease.
You have 14 days to exchange or return the smartphone; a restocking fee of up to $55 may apply.
Pricing, promotions, programming, terms & restrictions subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice.

My iPhone XS is off of it's installment contract this month and I have had no intention of replacing it, but I'm finding myself very tempted to picking up a used "$60 valued qualifying phone" and ordering one because it appears AT&T is offering people $900 for free so they can jerk off about 5G conversion rates to investors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a map or way to search for AT&T WiFi Hot Spots around the US?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Has anyone looked into the Note 20 promo in detail because it seems like a ridiculously good deal, almost too good to be true:

My iPhone XS is off of it's installment contract this month and I have had no intention of replacing it, but I'm finding myself very tempted to picking up a used "$60 valued qualifying phone" and ordering one because it appears AT&T is offering people $900 for free so they can jerk off about 5G conversion rates to investors.

I doubt I could ever move over to Android, but a friend of mine who used to have a Pixel took advantage of this promo and he's really happy with it. If you don't mind the giant sized screen, it seems like a great deal.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last December, we got my wife an iPhone 8 from a guy on Nextdoor. The IMEI was fine (i.e. not blacklisted). Fast-forward to now and she's ready to ditch AT&T and join me on Mint Mobile. Unfortunately, AT&T says the phone can't be unlocked (yet). They told me that the previous owner still has a balance ("It'll be cleared by the end of the year, < $100"). I contacted the seller who left AT&T at the time and he claims AT&T told him the phone can't be unlocked for 18 months after he disconnected from them. We got the phone cheaply enough that I'd be willing to pay whatever's left, but AT&T says I can't do that since I don't have the guy's account info. Is there any way we can get this drat thing unlocked?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Last December, we got my wife an iPhone 8 from a guy on Nextdoor. The IMEI was fine (i.e. not blacklisted). Fast-forward to now and she's ready to ditch AT&T and join me on Mint Mobile. Unfortunately, AT&T says the phone can't be unlocked (yet). They told me that the previous owner still has a balance ("It'll be cleared by the end of the year, < $100"). I contacted the seller who left AT&T at the time and he claims AT&T told him the phone can't be unlocked for 18 months after he disconnected from them. We got the phone cheaply enough that I'd be willing to pay whatever's left, but AT&T says I can't do that since I don't have the guy's account info. Is there any way we can get this drat thing unlocked?

Other than that guy somehow being nice enough to do it (unlikely) no. Check to see if there is a switcher trade in, there have been some pretty good trade ins for new customers buying a phone (mileage varies).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Duckman2008 posted:

Other than that guy somehow being nice enough to do it (unlikely) no. Check to see if there is a switcher trade in, there have been some pretty good trade ins for new customers buying a phone (mileage varies).

What's a switcher trade in?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

What's a switcher trade in?

Right now a lot of carriers offer big promos for new customers. Sometimes the promo is a trade in. So, if you are switching to ATT, maybe they offer $500+ for your iPhone 8 to trade in for an iPhone pro, whereas a normal trade is like, $150.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Duckman2008 posted:

Right now a lot of carriers offer big promos for new customers. Sometimes the promo is a trade in. So, if you are switching to ATT, maybe they offer $500+ for your iPhone 8 to trade in for an iPhone pro, whereas a normal trade is like, $150.

No, we're switching her away from AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

No, we're switching her away from AT&T.

Oh sorry. Well, same thing assuming you’re going to postpaid Verizon or T-Mobile. They usually offer either a big trade in switcher or a Buy One get one free. Mileage may vary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When AT&T says my phone is upgrade eligible, but I still have 4 months of payments, does that mean if I get the new phone I will be paying for two phones at once?

I am planning on selling my XS and seemingly will get more than I still owe so I am not that worried but figured I should check.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Rick posted:

When AT&T says my phone is upgrade eligible, but I still have 4 months of payments, does that mean if I get the new phone I will be paying for two phones at once?

I am planning on selling my XS and seemingly will get more than I still owe so I am not that worried but figured I should check.

Late, but this depends on the terms of your device payment plan. You should get a copy of that or ask. Back in 2015 when AT&T was moving to subsidies they were doinog AT&T Next plans where they were 12/20 18/24 and 24/30 month plans, with the first number being the number of months until you could upgrade (thus ending payments), and the second number being the actual number of payments that was in your phone purchase contract (unless you upgraded by or after the upgrade date but before the last payment date).

Now it looks like you either get a full contract at 30 months or you get the full contract + AT&T Next Up for an additional $5 per month which allows you to upgrade half way through your contract (dropping the rest of your contract payments). So you pay $5 extra for a 15/30 kind of contract.

I don't know what your contract is, or how these plans changed over time. You should inquire about that, ask for details.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah 30 months is some bullshit. $800 subsidy in exchange for locking you onto ATT for 2.5 years.

That said, I took the deal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah 30 months is some bullshit. $800 subsidy in exchange for locking you onto ATT for 2.5 years.

That said, I took the deal.
How is it a subsidy? Aren’t you still making payments on the phone? So it’s basically a 0% interest loan?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BeAuMaN posted:

Late, but this depends on the terms of your device payment plan. You should get a copy of that or ask. Back in 2015 when AT&T was moving to subsidies they were doinog AT&T Next plans where they were 12/20 18/24 and 24/30 month plans, with the first number being the number of months until you could upgrade (thus ending payments), and the second number being the actual number of payments that was in your phone purchase contract (unless you upgraded by or after the upgrade date but before the last payment date).

Now it looks like you either get a full contract at 30 months or you get the full contract + AT&T Next Up for an additional $5 per month which allows you to upgrade half way through your contract (dropping the rest of your contract payments). So you pay $5 extra for a 15/30 kind of contract.

I don't know what your contract is, or how these plans changed over time. You should inquire about that, ask for details.

Yeah that $5 thing is what ended up happening.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

How is it a subsidy? Aren’t you still making payments on the phone? So it’s basically a 0% interest loan?

They’re giving you a $800 over 30-month discount on your 12 if you trade in a $2-300 phone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, the new Unlimited Your Way plans are almost competitive to our ancient seven device 30 GB Mobile Share Value plan.

$15 more to lose hotspot and HD video and gain unlimited and 5G. But almost no one uses hotspot.

With current lockdowns we are only using half our data but might be tempting when things open up.

Other big downside is that we have a few lines for older relatives who are only paying their line charge now ($20 including taxes.) New plan would be $30 + taxes, unless we explicitly subsidized them.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I know next to nothing about the ins and outs of cell phone contracts but my S7 Edge is finally on its last legs and I need to upgrade. Since it doesn't appear to qualify for any sort of trade in discount am I better off just looking for the best deal I can find for the phone I want on Amazon or wherever and swapping the sim card instead of going through AT&T? Or is there something I am missing?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’m an iPhone 11 Pro owner who recently upgraded my line to an iPhone 12 Pro using the $700 trade-in offer. My goal is to give my wife the 12 Pro and continue using the 11 Pro indefinitely, but she’s still on her mom’s Verizon plan, so it would have to be unlocked to work for her.

I didn’t want to miss out on the offer, so our plan was to trade in her unlocked iPhone 8 for the bill credits, wait for the credit to show up on my statement, and then pay the phone off in full and submit an unlock request at a later date.

I realized this was a weird squirrelly situation, so I called AT&T before placing the order just to make sure it would work. I explained each step to the customer service rep and she assured me the bill credits would continue (even if I paid off and then unlocked the phone) as long as I waited until the first one showed up on the bill.

Of course, today I decide to read the fine print and realize that might not be the case, and that the bill credits “could cease” if the phone is paid off. It’s obviously on me, but I feel a little misled by the customer service rep. Any thoughts on whether this still might work?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can’t help you per se but I’m on Xfinity Mobile and similar promotions work the same way and I was led to believe that’s how most carriers do it. That way you have to stay with them for 2 years or you’ll lose out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Yeah, I crossposted on Reddit and an AT&T employee told me my little scheme won’t work. Right now my plan is to just stay with the 12 Pro and have my wife use the 11 Pro. It’s an upgrade for both of us in the meantime. I like having an unlocked phone for when I travel internationally for work but that’s obviously off the table for the immediate future. If the time comes in six months that I need to unlock, I’ll pay off the plan having received the bill credits in the interim.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

I have the $65 unlimited prepaid plan with a budget Android right now. I'm thinking of switching to an iPhone XR for upgraded camera and ease of compatibility with family members. If I get an unlocked on all carriers iPhone can I just pop the SIM in and go or do I need a new iPhone compatible plan, upgrades, contract and all that garbage?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hi, I decided that I want to use my trumpbux to buy my kid brother a new phone because he's dirt floor poor and his iPhone7+ is barely limping along.

He wants to stick with Apple because he has an Apple watch, so I was looking at the iPhone 12.

I should preface this with the following: I don't know anything about iPhones, At&T, or very much about cell phones in general. He's on a family plan with my parents and my parents are a goddamn nightmare.

So, I called At&T and pretended to be my dad to see what the options are and they helpfully let me reset his account passcode and answered a bunch of questions, a thing I'm sure he's going to berate me later for.

So, here's where I'm at:
#1 - They wanted to sell me an iPhone12 at full retail. They offered to have him trade in his 7+ for a $350 credit, and have all this done by a convoluted series of payment plans and statement credits, which all seems like a scummy anti-consuner way to lock people in, and I hate it.

#2 - My family apparently had an old-rear end family plan grandfathered in from before my dad retired from the government, and it's... I think a 20gb plan w/ 3 lines and tethering for $155/mo. The trade-in offer doesn't apply to this plan.

#3 - Their first offer was to upgrade to a no-tethering (how is this even a thing) unlimited plan at $165/mo with auto-pay and paperless billing (neither of which the current plan is eligible for) reducing it to $140.

#4 - When I asked about tethering (because I'm pretty sure my dad and brother both do it infrequently), they said it was an extra $5/line/mo which brings the total to $150, still below current.

#5 - Getting buy-in from my dad to do all these changes and raise the price of the bill and then lower it and then raise it and add a credit because the phone needs to be in installments will be awful for me for years and while I'm ok spending $1000 on this, I'm not looking to have to deal with my dad on it on a regular basis until either the phone is paid off or he dies.

So.... Does this all track? Is the only way to get the phone down to a "normal" price to do the garbage payment plan/trade-in thing? Do I really need to get my dad to do all these account changes to make this work? Is there a better option?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The issue is that the iPhone 7+ isn’t actually worth $350, it’s worth $140. So yeah, they make you jump through a lot of hoops to get the extra $200. If you don’t care, just buy it from Apple and trade it in to them and you can keep the same plan and get the $140 now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

smackfu posted:

The issue is that the iPhone 7+ isn’t actually worth $350, it’s worth $140. So yeah, they make you jump through a lot of hoops to get the extra $200. If you don’t care, just buy it from Apple and trade it in to them and you can keep the same plan and get the $140 now.

Honestly, if they were just offering me the $140, I probably would have pulled the trigger. They offered me nothing on the phone, and $70 on the website, and I think even that would have required the plan upgrade. I guess I'll consider just doing the Apple direct thing. $200 to not have to deal with my dumb family poo poo might be worthwhile.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
dumb question maybe but can I turn off AT&T transmitting name data via Caller ID, because apple in their infinite wisdom won't show a phone number if a name is sent

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Man it can really depend on what CSR you draw from Advanced support. I had one agent try to deny my warranty claim based on an unrelated issue and shove me off onto Asurion, and the other just go "Yeah that sounds bad. let's replace your device". The latter guy was pretty cool and we also talked about playing Deep Rock Galactic and learning to type.

So just remember HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again) if you get an agent that is trying to deny your claim.

Edit: Oh, so you can avoid sorting agent on 611, here's the Advanced Tech Support number: 1-866-344-6217

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 26, 2021

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

You wanna hear some poo poo? I have two brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB gold colors that were ordered by someone posing as my fiancé and now ATT is in like retard mode over it. I do need two lines cause I want a pixel 5 to play with and a pacific blue pro Max 12 but they can’t seem to figure out what to do about the phones I can’t return because the place they sent them to is my old address and I’m not allowed over there.

Fraud is on the case but this has been over a week ordeal now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Randabis posted:

You wanna hear some poo poo? I have two brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB gold colors that were ordered by someone posing as my fiancé and now ATT is in like retard mode over it. I do need two lines cause I want a pixel 5 to play with and a pacific blue pro Max 12 but they can’t seem to figure out what to do about the phones I can’t return because the place they sent them to is my old address and I’m not allowed over there.

Fraud is on the case but this has been over a week ordeal now.

Ok, so to read you right: her info was stolen, they ordered two pro Max 12s , shipped them to the wrong address, but you somehow have them? Or is the issue that you do not have them?

Your info was stolen, so for those phones, whether you have them or not, ATT is gonna just wipe out that account and the balance with it and if they’re lucky get the phones back. Even if you have those phones, they aren’t yours because it was fraud, so you want them back to ATT. And if you don’t have them, yeah, it just takes time for ATT to investigate and write off the balances.

So if you want to upgrade, that’s entirely different than this fraud case, and is essentially two different transactions / occurrences. And if the order has it where you cannot upgrade because those phones are blocking it, then you just have to wait for them to fix it unfortunately.

I’m assuming you’re now looking into it, but you and everyone , it’s a good reminder to always, always have your credit locked / frozen. This sadly is a very very common occurrence in phones, and it’s a very difficult cat and mouse game to catch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What's the deal with iPhones? My cousin is on my plan (and she was an authorized user) and just bought an iPhone outright. She's saying she needs some pin to be able to use it. Is it not just a matter of dropping in a SIM? I just want to make sure she's not getting tied down in a contract (in my account) and get the phone working.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so to read you right: her info was stolen, they ordered two pro Max 12s , shipped them to the wrong address, but you somehow have them? Or is the issue that you do not have them?

Your info was stolen, so for those phones, whether you have them or not, ATT is gonna just wipe out that account and the balance with it and if they’re lucky get the phones back. Even if you have those phones, they aren’t yours because it was fraud, so you want them back to ATT. And if you don’t have them, yeah, it just takes time for ATT to investigate and write off the balances.

So if you want to upgrade, that’s entirely different than this fraud case, and is essentially two different transactions / occurrences. And if the order has it where you cannot upgrade because those phones are blocking it, then you just have to wait for them to fix it unfortunately.

I’m assuming you’re now looking into it, but you and everyone , it’s a good reminder to always, always have your credit locked / frozen. This sadly is a very very common occurrence in phones, and it’s a very difficult cat and mouse game to catch.
She figured out my PIN, ordered the phones to a residence I don't live at (but did prior to her ordering them) and the people that own the property claim they never got the phones delivered, but Fedex confirmed their driver left them there without getting a signature. So I've never seen the phones and don't want to call the laws to that residence because they are related to me. It's frustrating as hell especially when the "relatives" are con artists themselves so they could be lying that they never received the phones.

They currently have the two new lines tied to my account and won't remove them because they say it's technically not fraud since I was in an online relationship with the bitch who ordered them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

carticket posted:

What's the deal with iPhones? My cousin is on my plan (and she was an authorized user) and just bought an iPhone outright. She's saying she needs some pin to be able to use it. Is it not just a matter of dropping in a SIM? I just want to make sure she's not getting tied down in a contract (in my account) and get the phone working.

The correct answer is: idiots. Best Buy was probably trying to get her on a new line or something. Apple was just overcomplicating things. I made a quick stop at the AT&T store on the way home to ask them quickly and it is literally like any other phone. Just swap the sim over.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Hi, I decided that I want to use my trumpbux to buy my kid brother a new phone because he's dirt floor poor and his iPhone7+ is barely limping along.

He wants to stick with Apple because he has an Apple watch, so I was looking at the iPhone 12.

I should preface this with the following: I don't know anything about iPhones, At&T, or very much about cell phones in general. He's on a family plan with my parents and my parents are a goddamn nightmare.

So, I called At&T and pretended to be my dad to see what the options are and they helpfully let me reset his account passcode and answered a bunch of questions, a thing I'm sure he's going to berate me later for.

So, here's where I'm at:
#1 - They wanted to sell me an iPhone12 at full retail. They offered to have him trade in his 7+ for a $350 credit, and have all this done by a convoluted series of payment plans and statement credits, which all seems like a scummy anti-consuner way to lock people in, and I hate it.

#2 - My family apparently had an old-rear end family plan grandfathered in from before my dad retired from the government, and it's... I think a 20gb plan w/ 3 lines and tethering for $155/mo. The trade-in offer doesn't apply to this plan.

#3 - Their first offer was to upgrade to a no-tethering (how is this even a thing) unlimited plan at $165/mo with auto-pay and paperless billing (neither of which the current plan is eligible for) reducing it to $140.

#4 - When I asked about tethering (because I'm pretty sure my dad and brother both do it infrequently), they said it was an extra $5/line/mo which brings the total to $150, still below current.

#5 - Getting buy-in from my dad to do all these changes and raise the price of the bill and then lower it and then raise it and add a credit because the phone needs to be in installments will be awful for me for years and while I'm ok spending $1000 on this, I'm not looking to have to deal with my dad on it on a regular basis until either the phone is paid off or he dies.

So.... Does this all track? Is the only way to get the phone down to a "normal" price to do the garbage payment plan/trade-in thing? Do I really need to get my dad to do all these account changes to make this work? Is there a better option?

You can just buy an unlocked iPhone 12 outright from Apple if you don’t want to deal with any carrier BS. The SIM card will slot right into the new phone without issue and Apple will give you $130 for the iPhone 7+ trade-in.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

illcendiary posted:

You can just buy an unlocked iPhone 12 outright from Apple if you don’t want to deal with any carrier BS. The SIM card will slot right into the new phone without issue and Apple will give you $130 for the iPhone 7+ trade-in.

They also have eSIM which makes it even simpler than having to take the little paper clip thingy to open the SIM slot.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Randabis posted:

They also have eSIM which makes it even simpler than having to take the little paper clip thingy to open the SIM slot.

The eSIM sucks balls. I have two lines on my iPhone 11 and the eSIM rarely works properly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

The eSIM sucks balls. I have two lines on my iPhone 11 and the eSIM rarely works properly.

What? My esim is my main line, it works fine

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I got text messages on both of our devices today, "Your phone won't work once 3g goes away by Febrary 2022 and you'll need to change it".

edit: this was because our accounts had been activated on IMEIs corresponding to old devices, and we'd never bothered to actually update the IMEI information with AT&T. Fixed with a phone call.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 19, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I got text messages on both of our devices today, "Your phone won't work once 3g goes away by Febrary 2022 and you'll need to change it".

edit: this was because our accounts had been activated on IMEIs corresponding to old devices, and we'd never bothered to actually update the IMEI information with AT&T. Fixed with a phone call.

I got this recently as well. They are even making me listen to a voice message when I call someone. What number did you call? My phone, Nokia Lumia 520, has a 4G symbol next to the reception bars so I assume it should be good.

Also, I got a text saying that AT&T was forcing an arbitration agreement on me as part of me service agreement? Is this for real? I was forced to sign an arbitration agreement to keep my job so I know what complete and utterly vile bullshit they are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lumia 520 appears to be hspa and not LTE so I think you're screwed. See what it says when you call someone too.

Also how do I force at&t to enable voLTE?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

I got this recently as well. They are even making me listen to a voice message when I call someone. What number did you call? My phone, Nokia Lumia 520, has a 4G symbol next to the reception bars so I assume it should be good.

Also, I got a text saying that AT&T was forcing an arbitration agreement on me as part of me service agreement? Is this for real? I was forced to sign an arbitration agreement to keep my job so I know what complete and utterly vile bullshit they are.

drat you still have a Lumia 520. That phone came out like, 8 years ago. Both impressed , and honestly; upgrade, you deserve a better phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

drat you still have a Lumia 520. That phone came out like, 8 years ago. Both impressed , and honestly; upgrade, you deserve a better phone.

I know a dr who has a Windows phone and absolutely refuses to upgrade. He loves it so much.