Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that October 30th and 31st are a Friday and Saturday is gonna be great. I'll probably do like an overnight marathon on the 30th into the 31st, then nap for a few hours and do another marathon all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Van Wilder is horror because it's about the horror of being tricked into eating dog semen

Wait so do the Garfield movies count if the horror part was done in the strip?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
There's prizes???

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

There's prizes???

Sometimes. Like, last year we all got the gang tags.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

we all got the gang tags.

:colbert: :smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Here's now Kvlt! can get a gang tag:

1. Go into the October Challenge thread
2. Watch Lords of Salem and post something like this:

Lords of Salem: Rob Zombie is my favorite director, we're best friends in real life. I love Lords of Salem, it's a really interesting direction for Rob and I hope he makes more movies like it in the future. Great performance by Sherri in this one!

3. Rinse and repeat 30 more times.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Here's now Kvlt! can get a gang tag:

1. Go into the October Challenge thread
2. Watch Lords of Salem and post something like this:

Lords of Salem: Rob Zombie is my favorite director, we're best friends in real life. I love Lords of Salem, it's a really interesting direction for Rob and I hope he makes more movies like it in the future. Great performance by Sherri in this one!

3. Rinse and repeat 30 more times.

FINE FINE ILL DO IT IM IN

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

FINE FINE ILL DO IT IM IN

Yessss

To be clear you can't just watch Lords of Salem 31 times in a row.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it can be just any 30 horror movies right

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Last year a bunch of people counted Joker for the challenge, so I don't think the rules are very strict

Imo that was silly

Kvlt! posted:

Yurp

Fran does awesome things like coming up with specific challenges as well, but those are voluntary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

You need a total of 31, but yea it's totally your choice. Some people limit themselves to only movies they haven't seen before, but I don't like to do that. For me October is all about nostalgia so typically like half of my selections are the same every single year.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Since when has it been 31? I've always just set my limit to 13, then extended for as much as I wanted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Since when has it been 31? I've always just set my limit to 13, then extended for as much as I wanted.

I've always thought that 13 is for the May Challenge, because it's not October so we're trying to keep things more relaxed. October is 31.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you have to watch 31, 31 times

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched Random Acts of Violence and Color Out of Space recently. You're right about Random Acts. Pretty lame.

Color Out of Space has some merits, but I found it kinda weak. It's basically 100 minutes of bizarre things happening and characters reacting to them. When everything is weird, nothing is weird.

A true OP has returned. You were missed

Now if only slasherfan were still around

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What a great movie, I wish I could go back and see that for the first time again.

I still haven't seen the remake.

It was a wild ride, which was what I was expecting but a lot of it was different to how I was expecting it. Definitely a film of two halves for me, and personally I preferred the first half where you're wondering if her delusions have caused her to mess up and target the wrong people, how they were going to get out of the situation, discovering she wasn't in fact wrong and then having a whole new set of questions... but almost immediately we're then thrown into a secret cabal plot with "reasoning" and ehhhh I'm always disappointed when it's a cabal thing. Like, I get it - the film was barely an hour in and it needed to do something big to keep going, and at least the cabal stuff had more purpose and idea than most do. During the torture scenes I felt like they were just running down the clock and showing me things I didn't really need to see, as I already knew the results which were horrifying enough. But I quite liked the actual ending, so I can't complain.

Yeah I doubt I'll bother with the remake, I read the plot overview on Wiki and I know it was generally despised by everyone who saw it. That's enough for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

I've always thought that 13 is for the May Challenge, because it's not October so we're trying to keep things more relaxed. October is 31.

You can set your own goal. I think I did 31 once, but I'm more likely to aim for 13 while promising to watch at least one movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I started early, without really meaning to but then it became a conscious effort, because 1. the mood took me and it's the same way as dieting and saying "I'll start tomorrow" and now it's been 3 years and I'm still fat, and 2. I know I'm away a ton in October so I won't make a particularly big dent in my list if I left it til then.

Here's my pool/watches so far, I added the Hooptober criteria in so I'll be adding to the pool to cover those but I'm not going to do the reviews because I'm super lazy. https://letterboxd.com/jayx/list/october-horror-film-pool-and-hooptober-attempt/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you're not watching The Third Day on HBOmax you are missing out on some good folk horror. It's only 3 episodes long so its more of a movie , but its got real Wicker Man etc.. vibe to it. Very good so far.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Technically no but nothing is really stopping you from watching movies now and logging them after the thread goes up.

The "rules" are pretty loose and nobody really takes them all that seriously, it's just a chance to challenge yourself and watch a ton of horror during the best month of the year.

I don't start watching movies until I see the thread's gone live. I will start looking for poster art once I've started making my viewing list so if someone reviews a movie I'm also doing, I can use a different poster than what they use. This go since I'm also going to be reviewing some silents, while I have them on DVD, those might be out of print so I'm tracking down if they're also online to include a link if people want to watch them too.

Basebf555 posted:

13 for the May Challenge because it's the halfway point to Octoberpalooza which is 31.

There's prizes???

Gang tags are the most recent one, another time it was t-shirts.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's been a while since it's been mentioned but Lovecraft Country is really a remarkable show.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

graventy posted:

It's been a while since it's been mentioned but Lovecraft Country is really a remarkable show.

it's got some pacing issues, but yea, great show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The thing I like about Lovecraft Country is that the horror is really wide variety from body horror to cosmic its just all around great. This latest episode was also fantastic with some spooky spiritual horror.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the thing I love about Lovecraft Country is that so much is that so much prestige TV just spin their wheels and really don't shake up the status quo until the series finale.And then even then, often revert back to the status quo by the end of the series premiere.

Each episode of Lovecraft Country feels like an individual movie where they really go for it. Like there is a moment towards the end of the second episode (I'm going to talk very, very vaguely, but spoiler just in case) in which a character does something that you think will put the characters in stalemate for a few episodes. But nope the show doesn't just rip through and burn everything to the ground.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I try and wait until October 1st because September isn't October. :colbert:

But I'm always tempted away. I'm keeping the Bracketology stuff separate and hopefully that feeds my horror itch while I watch non-horror to cleanse the palette and not burn out. If I do get the itch maybe I'll hit up Lovecraft Country or finally watch The Outsider or The Terror S2 or something.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm slowly ramping up my horror intake. In the past I've gotten the urge as early as August and burned myself out by mid-October but I have my To Do List handy. But I'm ready.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Do movies like Threads and Where the Wind Blows count for the October Challenge?

Threads is for-sure horror, Where the Wind Blows is a dark historical drama, as mentioned, so it shouldn't count.

Last year a bunch of people counted Joker for the challenge, so I don't think the rules are very strict

I let Joker slide because, while it's more actiony-than-psychological, it's still a thriller, it still has a lunatic dressing up in a costume to terrorize people, and it incorporated enough gun horror. It was recent and topical, so I let it slide. Sometimes seeing people justify how a movie is actually a horror movie is interesting; sometimes it's interesting to see people say "It wasn't really horror related and I wish I had watched something else", cuz I get to do a :hmmyes: "I told you so" to myself.

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes. Like, last year we all got the gang tags.

And I raffled off Arrow's Limited Edition An American Werewolf in London blu ray from a list of everyone that completed the challenge.

married but discreet posted:

Prizes like the raffle and gang tags are always gonna be for people who watched a minimum of 31 movies. Even before I inherited the Challenge thread, it was 31 movies. But we also clearly always let people make their own goals and minimums, with knowing they just probably won't get in on a prize.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Gang tags are the most recent one, another time it was t-shirts.

I actually really hosed that one up and never got it to work out. I had a deal to get a bunch made and shipped and then the deal fell through. I still get hot in the face with embarrassment when I remember it got hosed up. :smith:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 22, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Joker is a psychological horror movie about mental illness.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no its just a remake of taxi driver with some batman references slapped in so nerds will go see it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a spook a doodle.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I haven't seen it because its not a spookadoodle, I think that's all the proof you need.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does stuff like the British A Ghost Story for Christmas tv movies from the 70s count for the challenge?

Because they're generally only about 30-40 minutes long so I'm guessing they don't.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

no its just a remake of taxi driver with some batman references slapped in so nerds will go see it

Nah, it's very blatantly The King of Comedy, which is better in every way.

Except I guess it doesn't tell Batman's origin story for the 20th time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

graventy posted:

Except I guess it doesn't tell Batman's origin story for the 20th time.

I guess you didn’t see the movie....

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does stuff like the British A Ghost Story for Christmas tv movies from the 70s count for the challenge?

Because they're generally only about 30-40 minutes long so I'm guessing they don't.

Yeah, it has to crack an hour at the very least.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Bruce is in the movie pre-Batman, and it does set up tension between Joker and the Waynes. You could argue then that it's a Batman's origin's origins story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never really know what to do come October because I watch horror and horror related stuff year round, and I'm really bad about jumping on something as soon as it releases, so putting together a list of things I haven't seen is difficult.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Bruce is in the movie pre-Batman, and it does set up tension between Joker and the Waynes. You could argue then that it's a Batman's origin's origins story.

Batman’s parents die lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CelticPredator posted:

Batman’s parents die lol

Teen Titans Go to the Movies did it best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I got the complete wrong end of the stick of that conversation, I misread doesn't as does. I did forget that they died though, and I only watched the film a couple of months ago.