Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic posted:

This is gonna be one of the best albums of the year.

Yeah man I am all in on it. So good.

edit: lovely page snipe so have the non-music-video version which is 3 minutes longer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOstc1ZfDN4

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New HEALTH album DISCO4 :: PART I out 10/16. Press release:

quote:

In the past each HEALTH LP has been accompanied by a corresponding remix record. This time, despite being called DISCO 4 in the interest of continuity, we offer you a collection of original collaborations with artists we admire. Also, gently caress 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYf_GNIX3Y

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been on a BIG Arcade Fire kick this last week - first time I've really gotten into listening them since, uh.... Well, probably 7 or 8 years? I remember feeling relatively disappointed by Reflektor when it came out, but I think my expectations were unreasonably high given their track record plus the James Murphy involvement, I like the album a lot more now - and I really quite liked Everything Now (which I listened to for the first time recently) even with all very obvious ABBA/euro-disc influences worn on its sleeve.

Mostly I've just been watching/listening to live sets - AF is one of those bands where almost all of their songs just sound better with that amazing live energy. The best show I ever went to was an Arcade Fire show, too - I was lucky enough to see them perform in a little club in Boston with The Hidden Cameras (which was the band I actually went to see that night and they were fantastically amazing too, tough to say who was better. But I've never gone to see them since, because the idea of seeing them in some gigantic stadium does not really.... yeah.

It's funny how my opinion of them has developed, though. 10 years ago I felt a bit embarrassed to have been such a big fan of theirs for so long, since they sorta epitomized trendy indie music for a while there. But now I honestly feel lucky to have gotten in on the "ground floor" with them. I still remember the very first time I listened to Funeral the week it came out (like a lot of people I read pitchfork every day back then and their review called it to my attention) and just being IMMEDIATELY blown away by how powerful and amazing songs like "Power Out" and "Rebellion" were. And they still sound amazing today.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm really getting pissed off at HAIM. I did their preorder for their vinyl album Women in Music Part III. It's mid-September, and nothing has shipped. The last email from Livenation was that they'll be shipping in 2-3 weeks, which was sent on August 4th.

Like, I understand that the pandemic hosed things up. But they charged my credit card. Don't take my money if you can't get the goods out there. And at the very least, send the occasional email explaining what's going on. I can accept that supply chains are hosed up. I can accept that even deliveries might be backed up even by a pretty large amount. That's all cool. But at least tell me. Give me an idea of what's going on. Because I've ordered from other bands and labels, and I've gotten a decent turn-around. So it's just radio silence.

And when it's your website, you better loving own it. I know, they're on a major label so once again, they don't run the show. But still. They could issue an apology or something and say "Yeah, we know that this poo poo is hosed, and we're going to fix it."

In contrast, there's a similar delay for My Morning Jacket's the Waterfall Pt 2, but they were like "Yeah, it's going to be late September before we get them." That's totally cool. If there's another delay, it'll be cool, as long as they tell me.

I just hate how customer service has become this loving commodity. I'm sorry. I am owed an explanation when you take my money, you say you're going to do something, and then you don't do it.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 20, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

kaworu posted:

I've been on a BIG Arcade Fire kick this last week

Arcade Fire is one of my favorite bands. I agree that Reflektor and Everything Now aren't necessarily their best work, but both albums are still above and beyond better than what most musicians put out. Both albums could probably lose a track or two and be better for it (Flashbulb Eyes, looking at you), but they both have some really killer tracks on it.

They give phenomenal live performances, and every single time they exude so much energy. I've seen them like 7 or 8 times, and I've never seen them phone it in. Last time I saw them they entered the stage by going through the crowd with a marching band. At one point Win got off the stage and laid on the ground right in front of me and sang an entire song. Regine came down and danced right in front of me for another song.

And to top it off, they're nice people and great towards their fans. They often sell tickets for after shows with all proceeds going to their Haiti charity, and they will actually engage with the fans.

They deserve all of their success and I'm happy for them.

It's also looking like they are working on a new album. I kind hope they go back to more traditional rock and less disco.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kaworu posted:

I've been on a BIG Arcade Fire kick this last week - first time I've really gotten into listening them since, uh.... Well, probably 7 or 8 years? I remember feeling relatively disappointed by Reflektor when it came out, but I think my expectations were unreasonably high given their track record plus the James Murphy involvement, I like the album a lot more now - and I really quite liked Everything Now (which I listened to for the first time recently) even with all very obvious ABBA/euro-disc influences worn on its sleeve.

Mostly I've just been watching/listening to live sets - AF is one of those bands where almost all of their songs just sound better with that amazing live energy. The best show I ever went to was an Arcade Fire show, too - I was lucky enough to see them perform in a little club in Boston with The Hidden Cameras (which was the band I actually went to see that night and they were fantastically amazing too, tough to say who was better. But I've never gone to see them since, because the idea of seeing them in some gigantic stadium does not really.... yeah.

It's funny how my opinion of them has developed, though. 10 years ago I felt a bit embarrassed to have been such a big fan of theirs for so long, since they sorta epitomized trendy indie music for a while there. But now I honestly feel lucky to have gotten in on the "ground floor" with them. I still remember the very first time I listened to Funeral the week it came out (like a lot of people I read pitchfork every day back then and their review called it to my attention) and just being IMMEDIATELY blown away by how powerful and amazing songs like "Power Out" and "Rebellion" were. And they still sound amazing today.

Weird I've been on a big AF kick lately too and they're just as good to me as they were 10 years ago. I'm not sure I understand the dad rock title they've been given. Their stuff holds up against any indie rock today.

Any word on new music from them?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm really getting pissed off at HAIM. I did their preorder for their vinyl album Women in Music Part III. It's mid-September, and nothing has shipped. The last email from Livenation was that they'll be shipping in 2-3 weeks, which was sent on August 4th.

Like, I understand that the pandemic hosed things up. But they charged my credit card. Don't take my money if you can't get the goods out there. And at the very least, send the occasional email explaining what's going on. I can accept that supply chains are hosed up. I can accept that even deliveries might be backed up even by a pretty large amount. That's all cool. But at least tell me. Give me an idea of what's going on. Because I've ordered from other bands and labels, and I've gotten a decent turn-around. So it's just radio silence.

And when it's your website, you better loving own it. I know, they're on a major label so once again, they don't run the show. But still. They could issue an apology or something and say "Yeah, we know that this poo poo is hosed, and we're going to fix it."

In contrast, there's a similar delay for My Morning Jacket's the Waterfall Pt 2, but they were like "Yeah, it's going to be late September before we get them." That's totally cool. If there's another delay, it'll be cool, as long as they tell me.

I just hate how customer service has become this loving commodity. I'm sorry. I am owed an explanation when you take my money, you say you're going to do something, and then you don't do it.

This is why I stopped listening to frank ocean. Dude has straight up hosed his fans on every physical release he’s done since going indie and his customer support people are less than useless. The whole insane Reddit thread about making a consumer complaint against him was rightfully mocked because the guy who started it was saying stuff like “sorry frank....forgive me senpai.....gonna delete this for daddy frank” but that kind of poo poo doesn’t happen if you give a poo poo about your fans to any degree, imo

He announced two singles on 7” in October and most people have gotten them...this month. Total embarrassment

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

Any word on new music from them?

Yeah, I posted about it just above. Win has been hinting for months that they're working on a new album, posting brief clips of songs to his instagram. They've also always released new albums every 3-4 years, and the last album came out in 2017, so we're about due for a new one.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Prince is the bargain brand Michael Jackson

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

BonoMan posted:

Weird I've been on a big AF kick lately too and they're just as good to me as they were 10 years ago. I'm not sure I understand the dad rock title they've been given. Their stuff holds up against any indie rock today.

Fwiw I feel like the National has similarly been dad rock for most of the last decade but they're still great, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I think part of it is just when a band first becomes popular in the mid-2000's at this point it's kind of inevitably gonna be a lot of dads listening to it at this point.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

foutre posted:

Fwiw I feel like the National has similarly been dad rock for most of the last decade but they're still great, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I think part of it is just when a band first becomes popular in the mid-2000's at this point it's kind of inevitably gonna be a lot of dads listening to it at this point.

Yeeeeah. I went to a Broken Social Scene show a couple years back, and I was shocked to see that most of the crowd was men in their late 30s, early 40s. Then I remembered that I'm a man in my late 30s, and that the band is all in their 40s and 50s.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

excellent bird guy posted:

Get out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

foutre posted:

Yeah I went to a National show last year (or the year before) and almost the entire crowd was over 50. Not even like 30s and 40s...but more in their 50s. Still a good show.

zenhead
Sep 21, 2020
Here's a band most people probably don't know about (not trying to sound pretentious or anything, they're genuinely super obscure to most people):
https://okchampion.bandcamp.com/
Their name's Ok (also known as okchampion), they're a folk band from Paris under the Carton Records label who were active for a bit, although I don't think they play anymore. They released 2 EPs and one album (I could only find the album on spotify, it's called "Shards")
At first I confused them with the British band "Ok", a pop group who made some prominently-featured-on-stickfigure-animations songs. But despite being under the same Spotify page, they're a separate band. They have a few live videos on YouTube that I'll link in the bottom of this post.
They originally consisted of one guitarrist and two drummers, but I think they booted one of the drummers and added a bassist by the end of their career. A major bummer because the 2 drummers added a good amount of flavor to their music.
Their first 2 EPs are really good, but honestly their debut album kinda sucks.
Overall, listen to EP #1 and WET, and if you want disappointment listen to Shards (the album, the song is actually good).
Live stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTY1y8hZ4nA
An entire playlist full of live footage and Music Videos by their label:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13A66F4CAA8D1DD3
Enjoy!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I went to a Hand Crushers show (100 gecs cover band) and all the people there were at least 85 moshing to stupid horse

nobody will ever love you

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 21, 2020

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

shut the gently caress up

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Dirty Mind [Warner Bros., 1980]
After going gold in 1979 as an utterly uncrossedover falsetto love man, he takes care of the songwriting, transmutes the persona, revs up the guitar, muscles into the vocals, leans down hard on a rock-steady, funk-tinged four-four, and conceptualizes--about sex, mostly. Thus he becomes the first commercially viable artist in a decade to claim the visionary high ground of Lennon and Dylan and Hendrix (and Jim Morrison), whose rebel turf has been ceded to such marginal heroes-by-fiat as Patti Smith and John Rotten-Lydon. Brashly lubricious where the typical love man plays the lead in "He's So Shy," he specializes here in full-fledged fuckbook fantasies--the kid sleeps with his sister and digs it, sleeps with his girlfriend's boyfriend and doesn't, stops a wedding by gamahuching the bride on her way to church. Mick Jagger should fold up his penis and go home. A

The last line of this review is the moment when god’s finger touches adam’s.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Cemetry Gator posted:

Your post and the Arcade Fire reminiscing reminded me of when I tried to order the deluxe version of Neon Bible after release directly from their website, basically because I wanted to support the band rather than Best Buy (even though it's actually a band merch ecommerce site they contracted). So I go on there and order the first ep, the first album, and Neon Bible. I get a email a day later saying my stuff has shipped, it shows all three items are coming and even had a tracking number. Two days later I get this email:

Customer Service Rep posted:

This email is regarding your recent Arcade Fire order. Unfortunately, we lost all of the Neon Bible CDs we had in an electrical fire here a few weeks ago. We will no longer be carrying Arcade Fire’s merchandise, so this CD will not be available in the future with us. I have applied a 20% discount to your order to apologize for the inconvenience. Your order was sent with the remaining item. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

I remember being so angry. I would have bought it from their merch table at a show, but they weren't playing LA any time soon back then. Like why can't you cancel the order before shipping me anything. I finally bought it at Fry's up in Oregon a year later for like $8.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
While I agree with the principle of reporting bird guy for his bad Prince take, I am not actually going to mod people for having bad musical opinions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

While I agree with the principle of reporting bird guy for his bad Prince take, I am not actually going to mod people for having bad musical opinions.

Lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

IMO Funeral, Neon Bible and Suburbs is among the best first 3 full length album releases in indie history

Other contenders:
Modest Mouse
LCD Soundsystem

Close but not quite:
Built to Spill (UAW not up to snuff)
Radiohead (PH not up to snuff)
Fiona Apple (too long a gap between WTP and EM, and also I think EM not up to snuff but honestly would need to listen more to really assess)
Phoenix (United not up to snuff)
TV on the Radio (DYBTB and DS both just a little too inconsistent)

This is just off the top of my head, who’s missing?

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

IMO Funeral, Neon Bible and Suburbs is among the best first 3 full length album releases in indie history

Other contenders:
Modest Mouse
LCD Soundsystem

Close but not quite:
Fiona Apple (too long a gap between WTP and EM, and also I think EM not up to snuff but honestly would need to listen more to really assess)

Interpol? Or is that more turn of the century dad rock?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I mean, the first Fleet Foxes LP is held in pretty high regard and oh hey they just dropped LP #4 out of virtually nowhere

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1308398630613782530?s=20

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

How was Crack Up? I never listened.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Real Name Grover posted:

I mean, the first Fleet Foxes LP is held in pretty high regard and oh hey they just dropped LP #4 out of virtually nowhere

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1308398630613782530?s=20

It's pretty good!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nateron posted:

Interpol? Or is that more turn of the century dad rock?

I think they qualify, but I don't know if OLTA is up to snuff... honestly I don't think I've listened to it in probably over a decade so I can't really say

I was also thinking the Pixies could be on the list, but I don't really think of the Pixies as an indie band. I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't qualify, they just feel like proto-indie rock or something :shrug:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

They really are great, I'm not as into their output post Suburbs but it really could just be I haven't listened to them enough.

I think for me I'd add Purity Ring to the runner-ups (if they count), although I know their second album was less universally liked.

Maybe it's kind of basic but Vampire Weekend honestly had 3 very good first albums as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

foutre posted:

I think for me I'd add Purity Ring to the runner-ups (if they count), although I know their second album was less universally liked.
Purity Ring's second album is great. Their third, though...I haven't listened to it since it came out. Really didn't grab me :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I would, for me personally, add Hinds.

But I've been on a different musical journey and only just listened to Neon Bible for the first time earlier today so

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

foutre posted:

Maybe it's kind of basic but Vampire Weekend honestly had 3 very good first albums as well.

Yeah, this is a really good answer. They followed the perfect arc of "good first album that shows promise, second album that builds on the strength of the first, third major breakthrough"

Too bad they stopped making music after that, though. :pseudo:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Brock Samson posted:

How was Crack Up? I never listened.

I personally enjoyed it more than Helplessness Blues — a bit tighter — but I've thoroughly enjoyed all their stuff. Still absorbing the new one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, this is a really good answer. They followed the perfect arc of "good first album that shows promise, second album that builds on the strength of the first, third major breakthrough"

Too bad they stopped making music after that, though. :pseudo:

Excuse me, Father of the Bride is fantastic. Sure, maybe a little bloated. But there's too many good songs.

I saw them live last year, and it was a fantastic show. They did a super jammy version of Sunflower that was amazing. Only thing missing was Hannah Hunt.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Hannah hunt is transcendent but I feel like it would be real real boring live right up until the good part so I get why they wouldn’t play it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Other contenders:
Modest Mouse
LCD Soundsystem

Close but not quite:

Deerhunter’s Cryptograms, Microcastle/Weird Era Cont, and Halcyon Digest.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this is very subjective but my personal indie trifectas also would include

Bright Eyes - Lifted/I’m Wide Awake/Digital Ash
Portugal. the Man - Satanic Satanists/American Ghetto/In The Mountains
Elliott Smith - Either/Or/XO/Figure 8

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cool I’ll have to revisit Purity Ring, only have listened to a couple songs of theirs with any regularity.

Others to consider:
Gorillaz. PB is cuspy for me, but I’m inclined to include them in the top tier

Royksopp. Maybe slightly different stylistically than the rest of the list but I feel like this band gets slept on these days

Others I had considered:
Pavement. I’m not a diehard fan so maybe I’m a lost cause, but to me WZ is not up to snuff

The Shins. WtNA not quite up to snuff

Beach House. Honestly haven’t listened to s/t more than once or twice and don’t remember much about it, but Devotion, Teen Dream and Bloom are excellent

Sunset Rubdown. Too much of a love hate relationship with this band for me

Paperback Writer posted:

this is very subjective but my personal indie trifectas also would include

Bright Eyes - Lifted/I’m Wide Awake/Digital Ash
Portugal. the Man - Satanic Satanists/American Ghetto/In The Mountains
Elliott Smith - Either/Or/XO/Figure 8

I’m asking for first 3 albums. Elliott has s/t and RC, neither quite up to snuff. Agreed your 3 is a perfect trifecta though

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Hannah hunt is transcendent but I feel like it would be real real boring live right up until the good part so I get why they wouldn’t play it.

And yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38ld7jN6L0

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I’m asking for first 3 albums. Elliott has s/t and RC, neither quite up to snuff. Agreed your 3 is a perfect trifecta though
doh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Does Nick Drake count? Big Star?