Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

didn't protestantism only happen because henry viii wanted to divorce his wife

no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

now that's a snipe right there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: buddhism there's earth and a bunch of hells and a bunch of heavens. it's good to be a human bc you can hear the dharma and escape samsara. it's good to be a god and/or in heaven because obviously it rules but a lot of the time you'll just end up indulging yourself so it's prob better to be a human that can end your suffering but I mean don't worry too much. definitely better to be a buddhist on the path to eliminating suffering than an indulgent god. some buddhists think that earth is too hosed up to allow proper practice so our only hope to eliminate our suffering is to be reborn in the pure land (one of the heavens) where a particular bodhisatva will teach you and help you become enlightened.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

re: buddhism there's earth and a bunch of hells and a bunch of heavens. it's good to be a human bc you can hear the dharma and escape samsara. it's good to be a god and/or in heaven because obviously it rules but a lot of the time you'll just end up indulging yourself so it's prob better to be a human that can end your suffering but I mean don't worry too much. definitely better to be a buddhist on the path to eliminating suffering than an indulgent god. some buddhists think that earth is too hosed up to allow proper practice so our only hope to eliminate our suffering is to be reborn in the pure land (one of the heavens) where a particular bodhisatva will teach you and help you become enlightened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Achmed Jones posted:

I have chanted the nembutsu the minimum number of required times to get into the pure land just in case

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

sounds like a scam

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

anyway Jonny290 have you seent he anime Death Parade? it's like a buddhist version of The Good Place

neato. queued

also commenting on the 40k ref above: big agree

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a RBW question
why did Mother blindfold herself when she went in the snow nursery with all the kids

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

a RBW question
why did Mother blindfold herself when she went in the snow nursery with all the kids

watch the next episode and you'll find out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jabor posted:

you could probably rile up dr. who nerds by telling them that the best episodes are the ones they'll never be able to watch, because the bbc recorded other stuff over the master tapes.

nah, that won't work because it's actually true

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
e2 watched. hell fuckin yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

watched s01e01 of Raised By Wolves last night. holy poo poo. not what i expected at all. looking forward to continuing

we've seen all the episodes so far. i like it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just hope they have the entire show planned out and not just like, s1 and they'll wing it later if it picks up steam.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its already signed for s2 so yeah i hope they can hold it together

---

https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm

this is a dumb little podcast with garrett wang and robert mcneill (harry kim and tom paris on voyager). its technically an episode recap type show but they spend most of their time just talking about what it was like to work on the show. its not edgy or super enlightening, just two nice guys remembering the old tv show days. pretty pure

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Casual Encountess posted:

I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space.

dune?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a dumb little podcast with garrett wang and robert mcneill (harry kim and tom paris on voyager). its technically an episode recap type show but they spend most of their time just talking about what it was like to work on the show. its not edgy or super enlightening, just two nice guys remembering the old tv show days. pretty pure

this is extremely good and I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. garrett wang always seemed like a super awesome guy so hearing him and robert mcneill shoot the poo poo is awesome

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what's dune?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dune uses fictional religions that are remixes of real-life sources. in pitch black they literally identify as followers of the same islam that exists in the real world

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

why is it always space catholics? every now and again there's like space mormons in the expanse or like in ender's game, but nobody else. I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space. where the space protestants at???

going back to this they are literal mithraics and they dress like the sun worshipper from dork souls

but yeah unsurprisingly osc had multiple religions in space and since lds is a form of protestantism I can’t believe no one mentioned the expanse either?

probably someone did idk

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

haveblue posted:

dune uses fictional religions that are remixes of real-life sources. in pitch black they literally identify as followers of the same islam that exists in the real world

yeah its not really islam in the terrestrial sense its more the halloween costume "mystical desert people religion" version.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

but yeah unsurprisingly osc had multiple religions in space and since lds is a form of protestantism I can’t believe no one mentioned the expanse either?

why is it always space catholics? every now and again there's like space mormons in the expanse or like in ender's game, but nobody else. I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space. where the space protestants at???

i mean, the op did

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

i mean, the op did

:coffeepal:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

its already signed for s2 so yeah i hope they can hold it together

---

i would love to have this for the only good trek (tng)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it annoyed me that the plot of altered carbon hinged on space catholics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

it annoyed me that the plot of altered carbon hinged on space catholics

Mass Effect

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

Mass Effect

xD

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

Mass Effect
:mmmhmm:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
posting to bookmark

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bump_fn posted:

posting to bookmark

please vote 5 ... to lure!!!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

rotor posted:

please vote 5 ... to lure!!!
Vot acepteed^ thinks aot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i've been watching joe pera talks with you

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Improbable Lobster posted:

it’s so loving good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

i’ve only seen the one off the air segment but it was good and i should watch the actual show

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/walkingjalopy/status/1308253832212701184

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i will probably never watch the nurse ratched show because why. why would anyone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i will probably never watch the nurse ratched show because why. why would anyone

did they really do a grimdark gritty nurse ratched origin story

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

did they really do a grimdark gritty nurse ratched origin story
what does your heart tell you jonny?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1308532659027685376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?