Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was thinking i'd finish with Origin because it's the other game i've seen people call the best one.

That's actually very reasonable, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s just imho of course, but if you’re new to Falcom playing Origins alongside Ys 1/2 makes for a pretty cool experience since you see all the little boss Origin has to the OG story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eggnogium posted:

It’s wild that the cold open of Zero just omits that Estelle and Joshua are with you for the final act. I wish they just didn’t have these, the one in CS1 is also kind of bad since it’s immediate character overload.

Almost done with Zero and going to have Trails withdrawal while I wait for the Azure geofront release. Might end up biting the bullet and just finishing CS1 (which I dropped halfway through to play the prior series) in the meantime.

Erpy posted:

The reason they did this doesn't become clear until Azure.
In hindsight it really does paint Cold Steel's (especially 1's) intros in a lamer light where people immediately assumed they were doing something fun like that again but the answer just wound up being "we didn't want to introduce Crow/Millium yet".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My friends, I have reached the end of chapter 4 in CS3, and things are going wild. It was 1am and I needed to get up early, but I though "gently caress that" and went two more hours into chapter 5 because I had to know the immediate consequences. Very few works of fiction get me like this, so kudos to Falcom. In fact, I imagine very few works of fiction would ever get me interested in checking out with such ridiculous number of tiny minor NPCs to know their feelings, but this one sure does and it was worth every minute of it.

Heck yeah, do I love this series so drat much.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just looking at the walkthrough, looks like CS2 is shorter than CS1, in terms of the main story. Is it really though? just started Act 1

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CS2 is somewhat shorter yes, but it's not as short as it might eventually seem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just looking at the walkthrough, looks like CS2 is shorter than CS1, in terms of the main story. Is it really though? just started Act 1

My first playthroughs came out to 65 hours for CS1, and 80 for CS2.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my CS2 playthrough was like 10 hours shorter but i didn't do all the side content. it's got a very long epilogue though so it's not as short as it may seem

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drat, it took me over a hundred just to finish cs1 (technically 130+ but apparently turbo fucks with the counter and PS4 doesn't stop the clock if you minimize the game or the ps4 goes into rest mode, also some of it was because I left the game on while making dinner and chores)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Erpy posted:

Oh my. I really need to stay out of this thread until I’ve caught up with the series (in 5 years...)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You can bumrush CS2 faster, but they both equal 95 hours to 100% with all npcs thoroughly harassed.
Still can't replicate the sleep mode= play time issue, thats a Gust thing.

Altering Reality isn't localized, Kea's actions effect the rest of the world too. And CS1 is at the same time, so there's a very very strong argument for CS1's intro being effected too.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 21, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Altering Reality isn't localized, Kea's actions effect the rest of the world too. And CS1 is at the same time, so there's a very very strong argument for CS1's intro being effected too.

Hello, major spoilers!

Also, wasn't joking about that part above about the NPC's, tiny minor characters in such vast games, making so much a difference to the whole setting. This is like what Shenmue sort of tried to do. Like, in CS3 chapter 5, you find this postman dude who was just an rear end in a top hat to you if you ever talked with him at any time in the city, and you now sort of feel bad for him while also going "see, you rear end in a top hat, this is what you get for being such a hardass about your job that you couldn't even greet someone properly".

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 21, 2020

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

Hello, major spoilers!

Also, wasn't joking about that part above about the NPC's, tiny minor characters in such vast games, making so much a difference to the whole setting. This is like what Shenmue sort of tried to do. Like, in CS3 chapter 5, you find this postman dude who was just an rear end in a top hat to you if you ever talked with him at any time in the city, and you now sort of feel bad for him while also going "see, you rear end in a top hat, this is what you get for being such a hardass about your job that you couldn't even greet someone properly".

My bad I guess, I actively despise that concept, so it'll never be something I really think about. Can someone remind me how to use the black bars, since [s] didnt work.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

My bad I guess, I actively despise that concept, so it'll never be something I really think about. Can someone remind me how to use the black bars, since [s] didnt work.

it's "spoiler" not "s", like this

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Aight, fixed, feel feel to tell me I need to add that stuff if I ever say something I shouldnt and I'll try to remember it's different than bold and italics next time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

The one thing that's particularly a shame IMO about where the CS series went (and the overall Trails series is likely to continue) is that it still retains a lot of the reasons it's good - the detail involved in the setting and NPCs is still great, even if some core plot and character beats are bad. Regarding the plot, I think the broadest plot beats are fine (like "what is happens at the macro-level in each game"), but the individual things that happen along the way can be pretty bad and predictable.

infraboy posted:

Theres a pretty good translation sheet from Kitsune on CSIV, been out for a while if you wanted to finish IV, i've played through it about 3 times and really love it, it's a great conclusion to Erebonia, still leaves some mystery for the future titles. I still have the NA version on pre-order

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16KL-SmZrdqxirjd9p4W01ErXY-3oiE6w/view

I've played through the intro of Hajimari and a bit of Lloyd and Rean's first chapters, story is pretty awesome so far, the game seems to have ratcheted up the difficulty a bit especially the bosses aren't really pushovers now. Waiting on Kitsune's translation which should be out this week and then i'll really dive into the game, I wish I knew more Japanese to understand more of the Kanji characters.

This new-fangled technology confuses me. It mentions using a controller, but the game is on PS4 and the app is on PC. Back in my day we read translations on blog posts while playing Fate/Extra CCC and liked it

I'm thinking I might actually just play through the NA CS3 in the meanwhile. I definitely got lazy about a lot of side-conversations when playing through the Japanese version (my Japanese is at a level where a combination of voiced lines and Japanese text is fairly easy for me to understand, but with text alone I often just end up getting "the gist" of what's being said, so it'd be nice to be able to freely read it without getting a headache).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 21, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It’s just imho of course, but if you’re new to Falcom playing Origins alongside Ys 1/2 makes for a pretty cool experience since you see all the little boss Origin has to the OG story.

I ended up playing FC alongside CSI and that was probably a worse idea so I think I'll give this a shot after I play 6 and 7.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So after starting the NA CS3 I'm realizing that I actually forgot a lot about these games (which isn't surprising since it's been a couple years since I played any).

Is there anything that's good to know gameplay-wise? I'm trying to play on hard difficulty, since I did it in normal on my JP playthrough. From what I can recall, fights in this game are often the sort of thing where you either wreck the enemy or get wrecked yourself.

I know the basic mechanics fine, but I'm thinking more in terms of useful quartz set-ups and crafts (like how Rean had that one totally broken ability in CS2).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm in the middle of catch up for cs4, which includes playing Zero and Ao for the first time. The Geofront version of Zero was fantastic but what's out there presently for Ao isn't that bad. It could probably have used another pass in places but I thought it was pretty good overall combined with all the other fixes and stuff people have made. There's one thing in the game, though, that I'm really curious to see how Geofront will handle. It seems so culturally tinged I cannot personally figure out a way to translate it better. I'm referring to the new ranks when the State Guard is formed. . I thought about it and cannot think of any comparison that works in English.

Erpy posted:

gently caress me. I didn't put that together at all.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 22, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

So after starting the NA CS3 I'm realizing that I actually forgot a lot about these games (which isn't surprising since it's been a couple years since I played any).

Is there anything that's good to know gameplay-wise? I'm trying to play on hard difficulty, since I did it in normal on my JP playthrough. From what I can recall, fights in this game are often the sort of thing where you either wreck the enemy or get wrecked yourself.

I know the basic mechanics fine, but I'm thinking more in terms of useful quartz set-ups and crafts (like how Rean had that one totally broken ability in CS2).
if you want to be optimal, just abuse juna's sledgehammer order. there's no real tactic other than that for cheesing the game, everything flows from easily breaking bosses.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sankis posted:

There's one thing in the game, though, that I'm really curious to see how Geofront will handle. It seems so culturally tinged I cannot personally figure out a way to translate it better. I'm referring to the new ranks when the State Guard is formed. . I thought about it and cannot think of any comparison that works in English.

I don't remember that part very well. What about it makes it especially tricky to translate?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CS2:

I should poopsock playing with sharon when they show up for their item in act 2, huh? The other ones don't seem as good.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

CS2:

I should poopsock playing with sharon when they show up for their item in act 2, huh? The other ones don't seem as good.

yeah, that's the best of the three. i went for that accessory too and i didn't have to devote any time to grinding her or anything, iirc. i just did her bonding events and stopped using the others in battle

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't remember that part very well. What about it makes it especially tricky to translate?

I don't remember the specifics myself either but I did a little bit of searching and I think the gist is that they just made up new ranks by combining certain kanji from existing ranks.

e: Whoops, looks like I was reading an article about the Crossbell Military Police, which is is who that actually applies to.

Bland fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 23, 2020

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

CS2:

It depends on whether you feel delay stacking is cheap or not. It stacks with impede quartz and any master quartz that adds a delay to your physicals and together they allow you to brute-force your way past enemies' AT-delay resistence. In addition, if one delay attempt procs, the sum of all delay-inflicting stuff you have on is added up. It allows you to cheese any boss except one relatively minor miniboss and the very final one.

Otherwise, if you don't like cheese royale, the other accessory mimics casting quartz (not to the degree of the one equipped on the original owner though) and it stacks with existing cast quartz, so it allows your casters to rapid-fire arts, especially if you also equip bells.

The final one's just a 100% accuracy boost and a boost to your crit%. Not really worth giving up any of the other options for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sankis posted:

gently caress me. I didn't put that together at all.

You didn't? It's explicitly told to you in the main storyline of Azure.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think for CS3 the delay tactic doesnt really work for bosses, the cheesiest tactic was basically to break/stagger a boss with full BP and use Sara’s brave order before the boss recovers and repeat if necessary.

They kinda fixed this for IV but I found a party of 4 that can beat just about every boss with relative ease anyways.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Delay got nerfed big time in CS3, though they kinda replaced it with the break mechanic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Valimar is such a good AI knight thingy

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

U-DO Burger posted:

The CGF -> State Guard transition moves them from using the ranks of the JSDF to ones from the Japanese Imperial Army. Same ranks, just different pronunciations I think. At least, this is what a friend and I seemed to figure out after we looked it up.

Tesseraction posted:

You didn't? It's explicitly told to you in the main storyline of Azure.

Well, yeah. I got that bit obviously.. I just didn't connect that I played one of them during the intro of Zero. I just assumed, when I did remember it, that it was them not wanting to spoil anything.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 23, 2020

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Just got to the Dark Dragon's Den in chapter 3 of CS III. Absolutely killer music both in the dungeon and battle.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Okay, I'm pissed off, for a number of reasons. I have reached the end of CS3, so don't hover the spoilers below if you haven't.

First, I'm pissed off that none of those monsters of a people got slayed by devil Rean. That loving prick Cedric who just got his brother murdered and, of course, the motherfucking Chancellor. And this being anime, they aren't going to suffer any actual consequences for their bullshit. I guess that's like real life these days anyway where no consequences happen to the truly evil, but it still boils my blood that none of those fictional assholes are gonna get cut into pieces by a giant sword.

Second, what in the actual gently caress is even going on anymore. It starts with "we are going to war with Calvard, the Chancellor and his people have been working non-stop for this to happen" and I'm like "dang, this is serious", but then it turns out all they had to do was getting their buddies together and kill some cursed holy beast to unleash their crazy plan and clashing with Calvard wasn't even necessary. But worse, their whole plan is not even to break the curse which would be reasonable and at least make them less mustache twirling maniacs, but instead it's to spread it across the entire world. Because!

Third, this is how it ends. You get the bad ending. The curse is now spread across the entire world and everyone is just punching each other in the street and mobs are out there killing minorities and so and on. How do you even fix this? It's a done deal. What is CS4 even going to be about? Is Rean going to headpat everyone in the whole world until they become good people? Of course not. It's going to be some stupid deus ex machina that will fix things somehow. I can't imagine it's going to get a satisfying resolution in the upcoming game and I need to be proven wrong. Please.

Someone please tell me CS4 is good and cool.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, I'm pissed off, for a number of reasons. I have reached the end of CS3, so don't hover the spoilers below if you haven't.

First, I'm pissed off that none of those monsters of a people got slayed by devil Rean. That loving prick Cedric who just got his brother murdered and, of course, the motherfucking Chancellor. And this being anime, they aren't going to suffer any actual consequences for their bullshit. I guess that's like real life these days anyway where no consequences happen to the truly evil, but it still boils my blood that none of those fictional assholes are gonna get cut into pieces by a giant sword.

Second, what in the actual gently caress is even going on anymore. It starts with "we are going to war with Calvard, the Chancellor and his people have been working non-stop for this to happen" and I'm like "dang, this is serious", but then it turns out all they had to do was getting their buddies together and kill some cursed holy beast to unleash their crazy plan and clashing with Calvard wasn't even necessary. But worse, their whole plan is not even to break the curse which would be reasonable and at least make them less mustache twirling maniacs, but instead it's to spread it across the entire world. Because!

Third, this is how it ends. You get the bad ending. The curse is now spread across the entire world and everyone is just punching each other in the street and mobs are out there killing minorities and so and on. How do you even fix this? It's a done deal. What is CS4 even going to be about? Is Rean going to headpat everyone in the whole world until they become good people? Of course not. It's going to be some stupid deus ex machina that will fix things somehow. I can't imagine it's going to get a satisfying resolution in the upcoming game and I need to be proven wrong. Please.

This post is a good reminder of why I wish Cold Steel as a subseries was paced better. I agree with almost everything you've said, but this shouldn't be at the end of three 75-100 hour long JRPGs. This should be the end of CS2, the "dark middle chapter" of a trilogy. I have no idea what CS4 is going to be, but considering they've been building to this point since Sky Third, I like to think they have a decent conclusion in mind.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I have heard vague mixed reviews on CS4 but a lot of that was the same complaints I saw about CS2 (feeling like the missing “final” chapter of CS1/3 respectively stretched over an entire game).

That said I’ve heard much better impressions of Hajimari.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't played CS4 yet but...

CS3 END
This is Trails, not Final fantasy 6. Osborne is not a cartoon vilain and there's no way he is doing all of this just for evil's sake. Also, I wouldn't buy a headstone for Olivert until we see a body, which we didn't. Cedric IS a complete shithead for trying to kill Altina and I agree that the cliffhanger ending was insulting after such a long game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Love the ending myself, it absolutely destroyed me emotionally and I'm hype as poo poo for 4.

And you gotta remember one very important detail about CS3 and 4, they are not functionally games 3 and 4 of Arc 3, they are games 1 and 2 of Arc 4 in all but name.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is the CS3 cliffhanger the greatest dick move in video game history? If not I'd like to know what beats it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anything with a cliffhanger that never got a sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sankis posted:

The CGF -> State Guard transition moves them from using the ranks of the JSDF to ones from the Japanese Imperial Army. Same ranks, just different pronunciations I think. At least, this is what a friend and I seemed to figure out after we looked it up.

dang, that's subtle, I love these little details