Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Howdy friends, and welcome to the Good Vibes Politics Postin' Hole! (or the GVPP'H! for short)

So as an American it's hard to not notice how hosed things kinda are and it's real easy to convince yourself it'll only get worse from here. And hell maybe that's right! But I keep seeing chatter about how folks wish poo poo weren't so negative all the time and gently caress if I haven't felt that way too sometimes, so I figured it might be fun to have a space to discuss politics things that are actually good and helping people. Let's chat about how some local government works their asses off to get poo poo done or how we don't yet have roving street gangs headed by a man named Clodius who used a magic spell to make himself a commoner to further his political agenda. Think of this as the Thread of the Red Death. Let's just have us a good old posting masque we can dip into from time to time and remind ourselves that just because everything is awful, not everything is awful.

To kick this off I'd like to talk about how building communities ain't got to be some big complicated and planned out impossible thing. Sometimes it's just about extending a hand to the public service folks that too many of us don't even think to say hi to. For as long as I can remember my parents have kept a fridge outside and snacks and such waiting so they could lure in the postman and the waste management folks and talk with them for a bit. They built some important friendships that way just by extending basic human warmth and kindness in the form of a yoohoo and talking about hiphop and glam metal. It ain't much, but I thought that was a pretty good first step in actually building communities out here in our shattered living centers in the country and the burbs. I been trying to work up the courage to follow their example now that I'm not in an apartment any more, but anxiety's a hell of a thing!

So please feel free to post about your own examples of things going decently or ok or even good; even poo poo you take for granted. Also feel free to call me a naive self-deluding fool as well, because that may be true and it'd be better for me to hear that sooner than later!

Lastly, here's a picture of one of my cats exploring a towel:

I like to think he found what he was looking for. I hope we all do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've got a sourdough starter that's really hitting its stride and making some really delicious poo poo.

Also I recently discovered the Duck Tails reboot and it's surprisingly good and fun to watch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m going camping this weekend for the first time. Like tent camping. Unfortunately my friend wants to do 11 mile hikes and I think I’m gonna wheeze out and a bear may try to eat me but I got the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt book, some weenies, snacks, alcohol so I’ve got a nice weekend to look forward to.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Hey OP!

This girl has been getting me through this year with good vibes. She just finished up a round of radiation treatments for nasal cancer and is feeling a lot better. Going through her diagnosis in the middle of the world today was certainly rough, but her oncologist and care team has showed so much compassion for her as well as me when things seemed so dire. It helped bring me back to refocus on the smaller things in life and taking everything a day at a time.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I bought my buddy some treats today because I haven't been able to get him to the park recently. Covid restrictions are coming down slightly in our outdoor areas so I might take him this weekend. Its nice getting back outside, even for just a little bit :D

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Well dang I'll be honest I'd about given up on this so I'm glad to see some nice vibes here!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got a sourdough starter that's really hitting its stride and making some really delicious poo poo.

Also I recently discovered the Duck Tails reboot and it's surprisingly good and fun to watch.

Well hey that's all right. I wonder what is it about the lockdown that seems to have made bread baking so appealing! Hope that works out for ya, pal!

Gatts posted:

I'm going camping this weekend for the first time. Like tent camping. Unfortunately my friend wants to do 11 mile hikes and I think I'm gonna wheeze out and a bear may try to eat me but I got the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt book, some weenies, snacks, alcohol so I've got a nice weekend to look forward to.

I hope that even if it winds up being a wheezy time that y'all have a good one. 11 miles seems kind of ambitious considering how cooped up so many of us are these days, but nothing ventured nothing gained! Glad you got something to look forward to! It's important to maintain social links right now.

Pragmatica posted:

Hey OP!

This girl has been getting me through this year with good vibes. She just finished up a round of radiation treatments for nasal cancer and is feeling a lot better. Going through her diagnosis in the middle of the world today was certainly rough, but her oncologist and care team has showed so much compassion for her as well as me when things seemed so dire. It helped bring me back to refocus on the smaller things in life and taking everything a day at a time.

Howdy there. She's just gorgeous and thanks for sharing. Hopin your lady keeps doin good and I'm glad you got a good team. Small things in life are more important than ever.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I bought my buddy some treats today because I haven't been able to get him to the park recently. Covid restrictions are coming down slightly in our outdoor areas so I might take him this weekend. Its nice getting back outside, even for just a little bit :D

Well drat if he ain't a fun lookin' friend. Hope y'all stay safe out there when you can finally take him out to play!

These were some excellent vibes, y'all. Thanks kindly!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Good morning! Here's my dingo/kelpie/brick bobbert

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Hi Bobbert, pleased to meet you!

Here's my baby girl. She's less interested in towels than her brother. More of a blanket person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Your cat is gorgeous