Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

The potential (if a bit bonkers cause of this) is that for whatever reason, the plane you're flying has the init values of a traffic plane shoved into it whenever traffic spawns. This is why PFDs keep shutting off and stuff

It's been noticed (anecdotally) that weird random poo poo happening to your plane occurs a lot more in multiplayer group flights, so I wonder if that also occurs between player planes. Stuff like your throttle going haywire, your light knobs readjusting, fuel switches flipping, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think all of that is done via satellite for an SR-22. The data is put together and sent to some service that pieces it together, then the satellite, then the plane. I watched a video (maybe of the same guy) and he looked at weather versus the radar and given the wind direction and speed, he estimated there was about a 15 minute delay between the actual weather and his readout.

Then again that guy could be wrong. I assume this is different for the TBM, which has (what I think, at least) is a radar pod on it's left wing.

AOPA Air Safety Institute did a case study on a flight that crashed due to the pilot's reliance on NEXRAD. Basically like you posted, NEXRAD isn't real-time as there's a bit of delay.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Like, yes, I would love for the game to work perfectly right now, but given the choice between a gorgeous modern engine with lots of potential and a lot of technical bugs, or an ugly, old-fashioned engine that runs like poo poo but comes with half a dozen extremely detailed airliners -- which is the status quo of X-Plane and FSX and Prepar3D -- I know which one I'm picking.

This is such a lovely argument. You aren’t being given this choice and no one is demanding perfection.

I could easily being up the handful of problems with bugsmasher autopilot, corruption of nav databases, fuel consumption, center of gravity or the really hard stuff like aircraft performance, how weather affects that, winds aloft, FPS performance of things like lovely glass panels, icing, how that affects model and systems, the copilot as a whole, the ATC as a whole, etc. I’m literally using the most basic example, something that anyone who does a modicum of research about would see.

I don’t need or want perfection. Basic competency. This game lacks it and they don’t give a poo poo about fixing it in the short or medium term.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's been noticed (anecdotally) that weird random poo poo happening to your plane occurs a lot more in multiplayer group flights, so I wonder if that also occurs between player planes. Stuff like your throttle going haywire, your light knobs readjusting, fuel switches flipping, etc.
I have noticed that you occasionally hear the very distinct sound of buttons being clicked and dials being...uh, well dialled. having gotten used to the TBM's automatic tank switching I didn't really pay it much mind until I heard it happening in other planes too...ghost planes are real...:stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JayKay posted:

AOPA Air Safety Institute did a case study on a flight that crashed due to the pilot's reliance on NEXRAD. Basically like you posted, NEXRAD isn't real-time as there's a bit of delay.

At the center, our primary weather source is NEXRAD, and it was only a few years ago that we got a more direct feed. We’re down to something like a 2 minute refresh rate, but for a long time, we were using the same 5-7 minute refresh that commercial customers receive. It was a blastie-blast shoving airliners through holes with that much display lag.

We can also display the direct-sensing weather from the search radars, but that suffers many of the same problems as aircraft-mounted radars. It can’t see through weather to display weather on the far side of a storm, and it’s prone to false positive displays. It is a bit more sensitive than NEXRAD, but due to the aforementioned issues, it’s seldom used anymore.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

sellouts posted:

This is such a lovely argument. You aren’t being given this choice and no one is demanding perfection.

I could easily being up the handful of problems with bugsmasher autopilot, corruption of nav databases, fuel consumption, center of gravity or the really hard stuff like aircraft performance, how weather affects that, winds aloft, FPS performance of things like lovely glass panels, icing, how that affects model and systems, the copilot as a whole, the ATC as a whole, etc. I’m literally using the most basic example, something that anyone who does a modicum of research about would see.

I don’t need or want perfection. Basic competency. This game lacks it and they don’t give a poo poo about fixing it in the short or medium term.

I’m with you on this, I don’t think it gets a pass because it’s the first actually new thing in a decade, especially when they had the better part of a year’s worth of ample opportunity to get poo poo together. Having been in this hobby for most of my life I’m well aware that flight sims are poo poo software but the sheer breadth and scale of lovely things in this launch are as staggering as the beautiful scenery.

The whole alpha/beta thing was just a hype machine because they did very little to address anything that was a problem then and carried forward into a release that frankly they’re doing very little to fix now. I don’t expect them to move mountains in a few days because lol forcing that kind of work schedule on anyone, but they definitely need to get better about acknowledging problems at a minimum, putting forth planned solutions would be a plus.

I know that they’ll eventually get it right but I think salt is very justified considering the above. They made overtures toward perfecting the launch but they absolutely tripped all over it and are making it worse with their communication skills. Basic stuff is pretty broken and has been through several alpha cycles but here we are with a purchasable product and the same things are wrong or wronger. The bones are there, but they aren’t remotely in a viable state right now 1 month post launch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lol never buy a release day game or preorder something. This has been true forever. You could even have paid a small amount to try it on game pass.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Charles posted:

Lol never buy a release day game or preorder something. This has been true forever. You could even have paid a small amount to try it on game pass.

The problem is that most of the things that were working just fine on release are broken now. Should this be more of never buy a game until it is abandoned by the publisher and stops updating?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Had I not spent money it still doesn't change the fact that it's broken and incomplete, yo. The crux of the issue is that they released it when they did, I was going to buy it anyway as a sim sperg.

They could've continued the testing period and responded to the huge amount of feedback they were getting and ignoring, but they didn't and just dropped it in the market as yet another in the epic of bad flight sim releases. I'm doing fine ignoring it until it's fixed, but honestly it's pretty bad the things that are broken and missing and I believe that deserves acknowledgement.

If you're enjoying it that's fine, it's enjoyable to many even how it is now. But to many others it's not and it's just as valid a view point.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

cmpterjones posted:

Had I not spent money it still doesn't change the fact that it's broken and incomplete, yo. The crux of the issue is that they released it when they did, I was going to buy it anyway as a sim sperg.

They could've continued the testing period and responded to the huge amount of feedback they were getting and ignoring, but they didn't and just dropped it in the market as yet another in the epic of bad flight sim releases. I'm doing fine ignoring it until it's fixed, but honestly it's pretty bad the things that are broken and missing and I believe that deserves acknowledgement.

If you're enjoying it that's fine, it's enjoyable to many even how it is now. But to many others it's not and it's just as valid a view point.
I don't think MS gave them the option of holding back the release dude

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Soy Division posted:

And MS deserves criticism for that.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

cmpterjones posted:

And MS deserves criticism for that.

The part that gets me is who in their right mind would think releasing this in August was a good idea, with a French development team in charge?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

razak posted:

The part that gets me is who in their right mind would think releasing this in August was a good idea, with a French development team in charge?

American executives who are used to dealing with employees with no rights or leverage.

Charles posted:

Fast internets is a double edge sword. Software as a service can be good, but most often people just use it to make production into a permanent test branch. I've had like 5 different games become unplayable this year because of this strategy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do miss the days when a game had to be fully playable and complete at release because it was going out on a CD and buyers might not even have an internet connection, let alone one fast enough to download an entire new version of the software.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

I do miss the days when a game had to be fully playable and complete at release because it was going out on a CD and buyers might not even have an internet connection, let alone one fast enough to download an entire new version of the software.
Ahh yes the days when you can buy a game, decide it's buggy and want to return it, uninstall it, then completely forget about returning it because your C drive was wiped at root because a dynamic directory address accidentally pointed one directory up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Outpost

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Charles posted:

I was and am the biggest champion of game pass and I do think the game benefitted from alpha and beta. It runs. Scenery is incredible. It’s usable with more hardware and prettier than alternatives.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Frontier First Encounters

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Soy Division posted:

You don’t need to push back release date to get number of fuel tanks or an uncorrupted nav database in.

Again, if I’m like “the complex ice modeling on engines at altitude isn’t accurate as the anti ice doesn’t affect thrust or egt!” Or whatever, that’s probably a pretty complex problem to solve. I get not pushing back for that.

It’s poor development to not hit a deadline with basics put in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zedprime posted:

Ahh yes the days when you can buy a game, decide it's buggy and want to return it, uninstall it, then completely forget about returning it because your C drive was wiped at root because a dynamic directory address accidentally pointed one directory up.

Bad example; that particular problem still happens in 2020 (this year alone I recall an Adobe uninstaller, a Windows update and a Mac OS update that all risked wiping your drive)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

Bad example; that particular problem still happens in 2020 (this year alone I recall an Adobe uninstaller, a Windows update and a Mac OS update that all risked wiping your drive)
I guess the contrast I was trying to make is if you have anything of an update pulse you can at least stop it in 2020 when it's 50 people instead of 5000.

Not that an update pulse really describes what is happening to MSFS since it took 2 weeks to fix hard stop install errors.

I have had generally smooth sailing myself but having not played a flight sim for 20 years I have noticeably lower standards than some. I had multiplanes turned off first for performance, but kept off for gamey but still vaguely working ATC so if the ghost switches are tied to outside plane state I've just dodged a bullet. But multiplanes is kind of the big deal for a lot of folks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

These days never existed. They're a myth. Games were frequently very buggy on release back then and patches were not as common and harder to obtain.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

still waiting on that usable road system

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

These days never existed. They're a myth. Games were frequently very buggy on release back then and patches were not as common and harder to obtain.

Stop fogging up my rose tinted glasses!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress this hits so hard such a good basically unplayable game.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

also holy poo poo how much did it loving suck having 6 CDs to install one game? 2020 rules (4 gamerz)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

gently caress this hits so hard such a good basically unplayable game.

I must have been a dumb kid because I enjoyed playing that game and maybe wasn't bright enough to figure out why the manual was wrong. Still would love to see like an indie remake of it with the same gameplay with the name filed off.

I think that's still a trend to this day tbh, judging by the complaints I see in this thread about the game being unplayable. If there's any killer bugs, I certainly haven't noticed them post-patch. Haven't had autopilot try to kill me or anything even when I walk away from the game on a long flight. If anything, I think the 787's FMS is a bit weird because it appears to simply not even have a page for the landing procedures and apparently doesn't want to pre-load the ILS frequency when you load a flight plan with the world map.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Now that Microsoft owns Bethesda they should turn patch development over to them. If we're gonna have bugs they ought to range from strange to oddly awe inspiring instead of all being mundanely game breaking.

*Whistles while smoothly maintaining level flight in a Cessna 172 going backwards and inverted while watching several distant 747s spawn into the world at 30,000 feet in flat spins and crashing*

*Places bucket over the ATC's head to shut them up permanently*

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 22, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Filling my 747 with millions of cheese wheels

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lol yeah Bethesda games are already a million times better by community patches and maybe Flight Simulator too? I mean it's great they left the aircraft ini files unencrypted.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not excusing the state of FS at all, but Asobo has already delivered more post-release support than MS did over the entire length of FSX’s lifetime.

I agree they desperately need a community management team though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

waiting with baited breath for my horse armor dlc pack for flight sim

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone have the quick cheat sheet for all of the keyboard controls for MSFS2020? I just got a Streamdeck and want to set as much as I can to it but it looks like I need to set all of the bindings to keyboard inputs for it to work, since it doesn't show up as a gamepad or anything in-game.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fabulousity posted:

*Places bucket over the ATC's head to shut them up permanently*
*Takes bucket, stands on it, repeatedly hits the use key on one side, rises to ten thousand feet with bucket, declares, "I am an airplane!"*

Edit: Requests landing clearance from ATC. Is told "never should have come here!"

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
edit: i misread

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sigher posted:

Does anyone have the quick cheat sheet for all of the keyboard controls for MSFS2020? I just got a Streamdeck and want to set as much as I can to it but it looks like I need to set all of the bindings to keyboard inputs for it to work, since it doesn't show up as a gamepad or anything in-game.

:eng99:

Look here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928&userid=144076&perpage=20&pagenumber=4#post508181997

I explain how to make a streamdeck into a joystick.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

sigher posted:

There's also this plugin: https://github.com/nguyenquyhy/Flight-Tracker-StreamDeck

Which should directly interface with the game. Haven't tested it though.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So on the a320, there's a wing light. I assume it's for monitoring icing (the GA planes label it as such). I can view the wings because I'm an ethereal being possessing the pilot, but in the real deal, do the flight attendants or co-pilot go look out the cabin windows every so often?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

There's supposed to be a small stick in front of the central pillar to check icing on so they know when to activate wing anti-ice. Pic
But yeah, they can have someone manually check the wings if they need to know. Even mark the right windows, according to a random search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

sellouts posted:

You don’t need to push back release date to get number of fuel tanks or an uncorrupted nav database in.

Again, if I’m like “the complex ice modeling on engines at altitude isn’t accurate as the anti ice doesn’t affect thrust or egt!” Or whatever, that’s probably a pretty complex problem to solve. I get not pushing back for that.

It’s poor development to not hit a deadline with basics put in.

It's fun digging through the game files for the checklists and seeing that yes, every plane was going to have a full stopped to stopped checklist, but a good deal is just commented out because they couldn't get it ready for their MVP release.