Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ruflux posted:

Korra had excellent ratings in its first season, it's why it got renewed. They had dips in season two, probably thanks to it being kind of bad but also because Nick kept messing with the scheduling, it premiered a year after season one, and it occupied the infamous Friday night deathslot for a while. Evidently Nick was feeling pretty confident even after season two since that's when they got renewed for three and four. Three was when they really sank, but half the season did leak and Nick decided to air the first three episodes with a week's worth of warning as a result, so it's not like it's the show's fault.

Apparently they were happy with its online performance, so that's where it ended up premiering after S3's ratings failed to recover. Funnily enough you could argue Korra was a trailblazer in that sense since from what I hear, Disney for example doesn't give a rat's rear end about ratings on their channel (they're good for a niche cable channel in 2020, abysmal by any other measure) and instead look for performance on on-demand services and also social media buzz. I imagine CN's situation is similar.

One would hope so, since when your business is cartoons for kids (and nerds) you need to keep up with how the kids get their media or you're dead before you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh? I remember the creators announcing during production of S1 that they were greenlit for a second one, and then on the world premiere, they got signed on for another two seasons after that. Hence why early Korra was so janky: they’d originally only been planning for a mini-series sequel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just wanted to say about Korra something I'd forgotten - Bumi owns. He's a really fun character. And Tenzen is a great foil for him. I like that Tenzen generally is a very single-minded person, he has a lot of passion for the air nomads, but not much interest in other matters, which can lead him to miss obvious problems or social missteps. He acts wise, and he has the most spiritual knowledge, but he's very blind when it comes to people outside his culture.

I also like that at the start of Season 4, the events of season 3 have had a lasting impact on korra both physically and mentally.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2020

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto the two parter in Korra with the First Avatar and it seems to completely retcon where bending comes from. The Last Airbender says that it came when the first human benders observed the movements of the animals who'd evolved to use them (Namely the seaserpents, dragons, badgermoles and flying bisons) and figured out how to manipulate them that way, while Korra shows the first Avatar getting it given to him by a Lion Turtle.

OK got a bit further in, he at least learned to better control the fire via a dragon, I guess the Lion Turtle just allowed his bloodline to bend fire generally, and his descendants learned from the dragons later how to refine it.

Thank you!

The Lion Turtles gave the power, but the bending arts were learned by observing animals. Unless you think those people hurling fireballs like rocks were anything close to using a martial art.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Ju Li's heel turn in season 4 of Korra. She proves to be a total badass when trying to help Verrick escape, then when he screws everything up and she abandons him, she echoes his catchphrase with "Guards! Do the thing!" Also Toph's personality is still great. Despite her mistakes parenting, she's still a lot of fun on screen.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Toph being a lovely parent as a response to her own lovely parents is pretty great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the recap episode in season 4, just for the joke with all the prior villains conference calling and taking the piss out of how unpopular season 2 was Also I liked the subplot in season 2 with Bo Lin's mover career, that was really funny to me.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 21, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's Bolin, not Bo Lin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

season 4 is pretty solid. and yeah varrick and ju li are great in s4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love how amoral Varrick is, he's completely unapologetic for the poo poo he pulled. I love moments like this one:

Varrick: Well it makes sense, if I were gonna do a conspiracy I'd plant a bunch of evidence on a patsy and let them take the fall for me!
Mako: You mean like you did to me?
Varrick: Yeah, and do you remember how well that worked!?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So apparently there's a Big Hero Six season 3? Season 2 ended in a pretty definite way, so I wasn't expecting that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is the Big Hero Six cartoon worth watching?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's fun. Don't know if I'd consider it good though. They are kind of awful at being heroes. They don't even use codenames.
But some story arcs are actually quite well done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

They are kind of awful at being heroes. They don't even use codenames.

That was THEIR mistake!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I liked that the season 1 Big Bad's henchmen remained a real threat throughout the season. Especially when two of the four are as goofy and entertaining as Globby and Noodle Burger Boy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finished Legend of Korra now. Something I'd forgotten to mention about season 3's villains:

I like that each of them have mastered an aspect of bending unique to themselves for the most part, although the combustion bender doesn't really fit, because they are a weird type of bender anyway that are very divorced from the rest of the universe. Zahir completely masters Airbending's spiritual component, becoming able to literally move like the wind after unlocking flight by letting go of all material things. The waterbender literally uses bending as an extension of her body, using it in place of her missing arms, so the most pure version of that aspect, and the lavabender has mastered a very unusual form of earth bending that behaves like every other form of bending - lava flows like water, it consumes everything it touches like fire, and I guess it can make air currents via updrafts but that last bit is a stretch :P

Also something interesting about Last Airbender that I'd not cottoned onto is that Roku and Kyoshi are both very different from how you'd expect given their elements, however it still fits in a way - due to elemental stereotypes, you'd assume that Kyoshi would be patient, kind and reserved as an Earth-based avatar with Roku the fire master being more violent, however Roku was the patient one (too patient and kind for his own good) and Kyoshi was the more violent one, being the only one of Aang's past lives that was like "Nah, I murdered the earth tyrant and he deserved it", and having a warrior sect named for her that are basically green berets. This does however also fit their elements in an unexpected way - Kyoshi was colder, more stoic and completely unmoving - if you do wrong, she would take you down no questions asked. She'd come down on you like a landslide. However Roku was emotional, less predictable and more willing to be flexible in trying to negotiate with Tenzen, which are more firey traits. His more emotional nature let his friendship with Tenzen cloud his perception of him, and by the time he'd realised how bad Tenzen had got it was too late for his clarity to be of use.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I felt like everyone having a special unique bending gimmick that nobody else can emulate (unless they're somehow "fated" to be able to learn that form of bending by some kind of divine providence) kinda cheapened the whole concept. Like it's not about having to really figure something out to do it or put effort into it, it's just, bam, here's your gimmick, and it's all you got.

Also Zahir's special superpower is incredibly stupid because Aang could already goddamn fly, so it's not even that special or unique of a gimmick that he can do it without moving his body in a way that is much less visually interesting. They reduced bending skill to gimmicks, and then the main bad guy didn't really have an interesting gimmick.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, Zaheer serves as a decent foil to what we knew about airbenders up to that point. They were all about order and harmony, while he’s slightly eloquent but brutish in his methods. His duel with Tenzin really drives it home: his style consists of quick, graceless, and instinctive bursts, while Tenzin’s is all about wind-up blows that easily overpowered him because he took the time to think his movements through.

Plus I just love the irony of how the guy who’s almost the complete antithesis of mainstream airbending culture ultimately wound up being the most spiritually enlightened one of them in the end. And that he’s the first villain who has to live with the consequences of his plans, and then realizes how horribly wrong it went by creating exactly the kind of authoritarian government that he was fighting against.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

and the lavabender has mastered a very unusual form of earth bending that behaves like every other form of bending - lava flows like water, it consumes everything it touches like fire, and I guess it can make air currents via updrafts but that last bit is a stretch :P
I find lavabenders to be also interesting in how they uniquely screw over masters of their own art who aren't metalbenders or lavabenders themselves by transforming their bending "ammo" into something that they can't touch or manipulate. It's like they have all this stuff they can work with... and suddenly it's become hazardous and unbendable. That's nasty.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Zahir's special superpower is incredibly stupid because Aang could already goddamn fly, so it's not even that special or unique of a gimmick that he can do it without moving his body in a way that is much less visually interesting. They reduced bending skill to gimmicks, and then the main bad guy didn't really have an interesting gimmick.
There is a difference between flying using the staff and flying by your own will. Even Asami's suits in season 4 offer less range of movement than what Zaheer got. And I thought that the animators managed to make Zaheer's flying rather unique, he really feels lighter than air rather than a flying brick.

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, Zaheer serves as a decent foil to what we knew about airbenders up to that point. They were all about order and harmony, while he’s slightly eloquent but brutish in his methods. His duel with Tenzin really drives it home: his style consists of quick, graceless, and instinctive bursts, while Tenzin’s is all about wind-up blows that easily overpowered him because he took the time to think his movements through.
I don't know, I thought that Zaheer was the most stereotypically airbender-like in that fight, focusing on avoiding and evading Tenzin's onslaught while he gained time waiting for his cohorts to come and save him.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 22, 2020

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finished Legend of Korra now. Something I'd forgotten to mention about season 3's villains:

I like that each of them have mastered an aspect of bending unique to themselves for the most part, although the combustion bender doesn't really fit, because they are a weird type of bender anyway that are very divorced from the rest of the universe. Zahir completely masters Airbending's spiritual component, becoming able to literally move like the wind after unlocking flight by letting go of all material things. The waterbender literally uses bending as an extension of her body, using it in place of her missing arms, so the most pure version of that aspect, and the lavabender has mastered a very unusual form of earth bending that behaves like every other form of bending - lava flows like water, it consumes everything it touches like fire, and I guess it can make air currents via updrafts but that last bit is a stretch :P

Also something interesting about Last Airbender that I'd not cottoned onto is that Roku and Kyoshi are both very different from how you'd expect given their elements, however it still fits in a way - due to elemental stereotypes, you'd assume that Kyoshi would be patient, kind and reserved as an Earth-based avatar with Roku the fire master being more violent, however Roku was the patient one (too patient and kind for his own good) and Kyoshi was the more violent one, being the only one of Aang's past lives that was like "Nah, I murdered the earth tyrant and he deserved it", and having a warrior sect named for her that are basically green berets. This does however also fit their elements in an unexpected way - Kyoshi was colder, more stoic and completely unmoving - if you do wrong, she would take you down no questions asked. She'd come down on you like a landslide. However Roku was emotional, less predictable and more willing to be flexible in trying to negotiate with Tenzen, which are more firey traits. His more emotional nature let his friendship with Tenzen cloud his perception of him, and by the time he'd realised how bad Tenzen had got it was too late for his clarity to be of use.

Did you mean Sozin?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yes, I hosed up the names. I'm a doofus.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zaheer's flight has a weird uncanny valley-ness to it compared to other forms of bending-powered flight we see and I like that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would've liked lava bending a lot more if they went into how someone learns to do it and how it's an extension of earth bending, like the did with metal bending, rather than it just kinda being a thing that a couple of characters randomly get to do

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Maybe it's actually kinda common and people just don't hang around lava enough to notice? It's just hot rock after all. Water benders don't really differentiate between water and ice either.
But I always assumed there was some genetic disposition involved. Bolin got a slight bit of the fire bender side of his family, which makes him a bit more capable of handling melty rocks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean it's not like there's ever mixed benders otherwise. I'd have liked it a lot more as an "any earth bender can do it, it's just really hard so everyone assumes it's impossible" kind of thing like metal bending

Though really I'd like the setting a lot more if bending wasn't genetic period tbh

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I like to think that an earthbender needs a "lava moment" like Bolin had in the temple in order to become a lavabender. Which makes me wonder what was Ghazan's lava moment.

Not a fan of the idea that Bolin's family tree might be at play in him being a lavabender. I am, however, much more amenable to the idea that it is somehow linked to personality and fighting style, considering how similar he and Ghazan are in those areas.

Speaking of Bolin, and going into the comics, anyone else believe that a rather natural occupation for him would be to just join the Air Nomads ? They've become a humanitarian organization, which is something that would suit him, and he's pretty much hitched to an airbender already. Plus that could be a good motivation for him to finally learn metalbending, what with the cables providing the kind of mobility he would need to move around a flying bison.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think bending was explicitly supposed to not be genetic from the twins who one could bend and one couldn't, but once you get into trying to portray cultural mixing while still using elemental affiliation as a proxy for culture, it starts going weird. Especially when they drop the veneer of mysticism around bending. Not that they even really addressed interculturalism much after season 1.

Also I've still been watching Amphibia, and now it seems pretty clear that Hop-Pop is gonna end up on the wrong side of the king. He had that book that said that the Calamity Box was bad, and now here's the king saying that the box was something his family once used regularly. Presumably to do whatever earned them the position of royalty in the first place, as well as making him so very large. The big central tower of the castle sure does look like it's made of metal totally unlike any of the architecture of the rest of Amphibia, like it's some kind of ancient sci-fi machine the castle was built around. And the royal family probably didn't lose the calamity box by choice or accident.

Presumably there was some kind of uprising at some point that got rid of the box but left the monarchy. Although since there was a CD player, there must've been some other kind of dimension-hopping within the last 36 years.

Also there's apparently a bit of a class order with frogs down low and salamanders up high in the ruling class, and toads kind of in the middle above the frogs. I wonder where axolotls fit in. There's been a lot in Newtopia, but not in any senior positions, and that could just be because they're better suited to live in the water that surrounds the city.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wonder if we'll see any Caecillians in Amphibia in the future?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Back in the original series, there's that scene where Roku and Sozin fight a volcano, and Sozin uses firebending to, like, siphon heat directly out of the lava? It doesn't really bear any resemblance to how lavabending works in Korra, and it honestly feels vaguely plausible as a niche application of firebending even in a world where lava is explicitly under the purview of earthbending, but it's still kind of weird to think about in hindsight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That reminds me, I really liked (Korra plot stuff) Avatar Wan's ending to his backstory. Him trying in vain to fix the mess he'd accidentally made and dying in despair after the world broke out into an endless war that he'd failed to stop, with his only hope being that he'd reincarnate so he could keep trying was an interesting idea.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wonder if that was meant to be the Boiling Isles on that map of the many worlds in Amphibia.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Back in the original series, there's that scene where Roku and Sozin fight a volcano, and Sozin uses firebending to, like, siphon heat directly out of the lava? It doesn't really bear any resemblance to how lavabending works in Korra, and it honestly feels vaguely plausible as a niche application of firebending even in a world where lava is explicitly under the purview of earthbending, but it's still kind of weird to think about in hindsight.

Toph and Katara could both mudbend; I imagine it's similar.

I've always had this thought that in the distant future, people would forget that there was a whole 4 element distinction, and that bending would eventually evolve to be much more niche, like for example, some people would just be lavabenders or mudbenders, etc. It could even get a specific as, like, siliconbending computer engineers, and the knowledge that their skills actually reduced to a more fundamental ability to bend fire/earth/water/etc would be lost to history. We already see some semblance of this starting with the sandbenders and swampbenders!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, airbenders could sandband as well. After all, they'd just need to manipulate the air currents holding the sand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Korra tricks a villain into fighting in the desert and waterbends cactus juice into him making him loopy :P

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

‘Anybody else watch Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous on Netflix? It’s a lot better than I thought it would be.

Are we entering a new era of cartoons made from adult movies? There’s this and that Fast and Furious cartoon, at least. I know the 80’s had stuff like that, but they usually had adults as the characters, while these have mostly kids.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think bending was explicitly supposed to not be genetic from the twins who one could bend and one couldn't,

It's totally genetic. It's just like a recessive gene in most cases.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I figure it's genetic in as much as having bender relatives and ancestors does increase the odds of being one too and what kind they were also heavily influences what kind you'll be, but more than anything there's a spiritual component to it(which is kinda obvious considering where Bending comes from in the first place but needed saying)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I assumed that showing two twins, one of whom wasn't a bender, was just their way of confirming that it's not wholly genetic, and like nobody else in Katara's family could bend, and none of the Bei Fongs seem to be benders either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I assumed that showing two twins, one of whom wasn't a bender, was just their way of confirming that it's not wholly genetic, and like nobody else in Katara's family could bend, and none of the Bei Fongs seem to be benders either.

Or in the opposite direction how the only non bender in the Fire Nation royal family that we see is Zuko's mom(whose name I can't remember right now) even though she has an Avatar as a direct ancestor(and that being a likely reason why Azula was such a prodigy even taking into account having Ozai for a father too)

Or of course Aang only having one Airbender kid(honestly him having so few kids will always bewilder me, Tenzin was much better about it than his dad)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

isn't lava bending, mud bending, sand bending, etc. not specifically separate kinds of bending but just regular elemental bending under certain circumstances?

like, lava is just molten rock, which makes sense that earth benders can use it because they're bending the rocks it's made up of, which just happens to be really hot. they're carrying the heat along with it just because it's already apart of it, but they're not bending the heat itself like a fire bender presumably would.

same thing with mud bending/swamp bending being done by water benders. the mud and vines are being moved due to water. if there was no water involved, then no bending of mud/vines/etc. is involved either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, since it contains trace amounts of iron (among other metals present in the body), couldn't an earthbender theoretically bloodbend as well?