Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
hes sad horny proud cant connect with other people on a meaningful level and really hes just kind of a shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Same, OP

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

scott pilgrim sucks and is dumb poo poo for idiots

probably

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

scott pilgrim sucks and is dumb poo poo for idiots

probably

You must love him then.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

knives chow is very problimatic imho

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nah, not seeing it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this gave me pause but, thinking about it, he's not cynical, self-aware, or driven enough imo

there isn't a romance to his characterization, he doesn't have strong principles

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

this gave me pause but, thinking about it, he's not cynical, self-aware, or driven enough imo

there isn't a romance to his characterization, he doesn't have strong principles

that was the point to his character, subverting those expectations

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

iirc that movie came out the same weekend as The Expendables and a bunch of goons were crying that their nerd movie got blown out by cool testosterone dudes

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Cubone posted:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
no cares ever because the movie adaptation ended up creating sick music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiLjTIeosBk

dat disgustingly awful sounding, broken, distorted bass tho

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scott Pilgrim had way too many pop cultural references for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Scott Pilgrim exposed more people to the blessing that is Metric, and for this I will always be grateful.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't a 16 year old girl when it was popular so I just never got into it, okay? :shrug:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

super sweet best pal posted:

Scott Pilgrim had way too many pop cultural references for me.

It's the thinking man's Ready Player One.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dantes inferno is the thinking mans ready player one

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Not enough anime in Dante's Inferno IMO.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The Hobbit was written as an encouragement campaign for agoraphobic Dungeons & Dragons players to get out there and play

It worked!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

esperterra posted:

Scott Pilgrim exposed more people to the blessing that is Metric, and for this I will always be grateful.

hell yeah Metric owns

also

Catastrophe posted:

this and like half the rest of the soundtrack was written by Beck

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i love lamb biryani

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Catastrophe posted:

Is the name "Sex Bob-Ombs" a reference to something?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

End of Shoelace posted:

Is the name "Sex Bob-Ombs" a reference to something?

Yeah, intercourse.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Gritty reboot where Scott Pilgrim kills his ex-girlfriend's current boyfriend in an alleyway with a hammer while high on methamphetamine and heroin. Soundtrack by Nick Cave.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Everyone should just move on and forget any of this poo poo ever happened. Maybe and definitely including Edgar Wright stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember when I saw it with friends and one of my friends said it was “the movie of our generation”.

Even at the time, I thought it tried too hard with all the references. It’s basically The Big Bang Theory.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Where is that “friend” now?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

naem posted:

that was the point to his character, subverting those expectations
hm... disagree

there's no metatextual element to the disconnect, those traits are just absent
he doesn't fancy himself as embodying those traits, nor do any other characters, and he doesn't embody the other byronic traits strongly enough for their absence to be notable as anything other than absent

you might just as well say he's a hooker with a heart of gold who's not a hooker and doesn't have a heart of gold

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Scott's a wishy-washy insecure kid, the star of the movie is really "I get that reference!"
It's a solid 3/5.

As an aside, I got into an argument with a friend of mine about the Clash at Demonheads scene, and he swore up and down that Bree Larson couldn't sing, so they had to use the lead singer of Metric to do voice-over, and I was like 'That sounds nothing like Emily Haines, though?' and a couple of days later I learned on these very forums that Bree Larson actually is also an accomplished vocalist and has released a few albums, so I guess I won.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For all of its faults, I appreciate that Scott Pilgrim's message is, basically, "you're not the Main Character, your actions have consequences and effects on other people. You loving tool."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Obsidianheart posted:

Scott's a wishy-washy insecure kid, the star of the movie is really "I get that reference!"
It's a solid 3/5.

As an aside, I got into an argument with a friend of mine about the Clash at Demonheads scene, and he swore up and down that Bree Larson couldn't sing, so they had to use the lead singer of Metric to do voice-over, and I was like 'That sounds nothing like Emily Haines, though?' and a couple of days later I learned on these very forums that Bree Larson actually is also an accomplished vocalist and has released a few albums, so I guess I won.

I really dig Brie Larson's version, but the Emily Haines one on the OST is just too drat good.

Fun fact, Clash at Demonhead was always based on Metric and Haines, which makes them doing the band's music that much better tbqh

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

PMush Perfect posted:

For all of its faults, I appreciate that Scott Pilgrim's message is, basically, "you're not the Main Character, your actions have consequences and effects on other people. You loving tool."

Right, Scott's an aimless man-child who hurts some people and by the end realizes that hey, maybe that makes him the rear end in a top hat. I think it's actually a pretty reasonable character arc, because lots of people go take way too long to grow up. Maybe that's why people don't like it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It was a trojan horse of pop culture references addressed "hey, gamers!" and inside of it was a piece of paper that said "Stop being a dick."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like the comic gets across the whole 'Scott is a loving rear end in a top hat' point way better than the movie did. This has a lot to do with the casting of Cera imo, tho the diff ending as well.

That said I think Cera is really good as the movie's much more awkwardly clueless Scott.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Nerds just seem awful.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

it's good for what it is, I like it. not perfect or poignant but it's cool. I'm shocked, shocked that this film is hated by many goons.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i think kieran culkin is delightful

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GolfHole posted:

i think kieran culkin is delightful

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

The_Continental posted:

Gritty reboot where Scott Pilgrim kills his ex-girlfriend's current boyfriend in an alleyway with a hammer while high on methamphetamine and heroin. Soundtrack by Nick Cave.

The rare case where the reboot is better than the original.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Kieran Culkin and Alison Pill were the best parts of the movie apart from the sick music. Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sjSzVkqPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I saw the movie at the same time as I discovered SA, so of course I associate Scott Pilgrim with only good and happy memories of a very functional time in my life