Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is anyone else have an issue with IFR flight where the ATC asks you to verify the squawk code but there's no option to do so? I end up having to just wait it out until the IFR flight plan is cancelled and then I can request a retry, and then it works. It's functional, but annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is anyone else have an issue with IFR flight where the ATC asks you to verify the squawk code but there's no option to do so? I end up having to just wait it out until the IFR flight plan is cancelled and then I can request a retry, and then it works. It's functional, but annoying.

Make sure your transponder is on that code and set to ALT. You don't need to reply if you set it. I noticed on the a320 it gets cleared if you change the com frequencies on the left of the pedestal.

The transponder on a320 is on the right near the flaps lever I believe.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Charles posted:

Make sure your transponder is on that code and set to ALT. You don't need to reply if you set it. I noticed on the a320 it gets cleared if you change the com frequencies on the left of the pedestal.

The transponder on a320 is on the right near the flaps lever I believe.

aha the issue was I don't know how to fly an a320! Thank you!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

100 degrees Calcium posted:

aha the issue was I don't know how to fly an a320! Thank you!

I don't think it's supposed to clear itself! Just another new bug haha.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Weed Wolf posted:

It's fun digging through the game files for the checklists and seeing that yes, every plane was going to have a full stopped to stopped checklist, but a good deal is just commented out because they couldn't get it ready for their MVP release.

lol yeah

Yenko's right. It's not an excuse and I think it's more broken than FSX but honestly I can't remember because I just used payware from the jump.

I do think about the x-plane stock baron.... my preferred GA that had an easy panel, GPS if you reallllllly wanted it, but otherwise easy to use layout of the cockpit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's an addon for FSX in my Steam wishlist for Los Angeles scenery,. 18 bux.

Next sale for sure, right guys? :rip:

Got an MFS license for my birthday from MY GIRLFRIEND, and my Gamepass expired 20 minutes ago, so perfect.
By the way, IDK if anyone posted it but Best Buy is selling MFS standard edition for 45 bucks. You get emailed/presented with a license key on the spot.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

skooma512 posted:

There's an addon for FSX in my Steam wishlist for Los Angeles scenery,. 18 bux.

Next sale for sure, right guys? :rip:

Got an MFS license for my birthday from MY GIRLFRIEND, and my Gamepass expired 20 minutes ago, so perfect.
By the way, IDK if anyone posted it but Best Buy is selling MFS standard edition for 45 bucks. You get emailed/presented with a license key on the spot.

MSFS is also on sale on the microsoft store if you have gamepass. The super primo edition is like $96 now, slightly less fancy is $72.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly, as a $120 Fancy Pass holder, probably don’t.

The variety of planes has been cool but unless you’re hyper attached to one, miss it. Especially if it’s one of the jets, they’re all pretty bad quality.

Once some mid/lower price payware comes out that’s decent, the default planes will be utterly forgotten about unless we get projects like the A320 improvement for others. (I don’t think that’s realistic to expect.)

I guess maybe the airports could be worth it to you but you’re probably better off spending the cash on third party Orbx/etc poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, but it looks like you face the same issues I'm having with just setting everything to a keyboard control and binding those to the Streamdeck, that there's certain actions which just don't have binds. I just found out in the menus that there's no "Toggle Avionics Bus" binds, you can only set them so they flip back off automatically. Also not having any way interface with the GPS or COMS via bindings seems like a major oversight. I guess one day... we'll get there. With the Stream XL I was hoping to have all of the GPS buttons to a page but so much for that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Old school 172 is nice, longitude is nice, 787 is maybe interesting? Other than that I can't think of any dlc planes worth mentioning, maybe that really hover-y bush plane?

Way too many of the planes can be summed up as "like plane X except shittier" unfortunately. Is there a single person who has used those Robin pieces of crap for more than five minutes? Maybe somebody who has trained on one in real life because I just cannot see the appeal otherwise.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Honestly, as a $120 Fancy Pass holder, probably don’t.

The variety of planes has been cool but unless you’re hyper attached to one, miss it. Especially if it’s one of the jets, they’re all pretty bad quality.

Once some mid/lower price payware comes out that’s decent, the default planes will be utterly forgotten about unless we get projects like the A320 improvement for others. (I don’t think that’s realistic to expect.)

I guess maybe the airports could be worth it to you but you’re probably better off spending the cash on third party Orbx/etc poo poo.

Yeah both the jets are broken as gently caress lmao.

I would totally be tempted to shell out too if it weren't for that. Well, wouldn't we be more pissed if the premium plane were all sweet and worked flawlessly and the standard ones were what they are now?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Old school 172 is nice, longitude is nice, 787 is maybe interesting? Other than that I can't think of any dlc planes worth mentioning, maybe that really hover-y bush plane?

Way too many of the planes can be summed up as "like plane X except shittier" unfortunately. Is there a single person who has used those Robin pieces of crap for more than five minutes? Maybe somebody who has trained on one in real life because I just cannot see the appeal otherwise.

The Old 172 is fine, the Longitude is broken beyond belief (Sellouts just woke up in a cold sweat when you said it was nice), and the 787 is okay but honestly lacking enough detail that it’s not really fun to fly. I don’t mind a good tube liner but part of what makes those fun (imo) is fairly accurate true to life complexity. The stock 787 feels more or less like setting up the stock TBM, except it can cruise for 16 hours or whatever.

I still stand by my point - unless you’re super attached to an airframe and don’t think you want to wait/pay for a better version (and/or learn some crazy in depth payware version), just skip it.

I’ve flown I think almost every variant (okay you’re right, I’m sure it’s the Robins I’ve missed) and they’re just really not worth the $120 considering how similar they are to the $60/game pass offering.

YMMV of course. I wouldn’t say I’m regretting my purchase considering the hours I already have invested, but I could probably do without the $120 version content and have little difference other than a vague and misguided FOMO.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's wrong with the Robins?

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The Old 172 is fine, the Longitude is broken beyond belief (Sellouts just woke up in a cold sweat when you said it was nice), and the 787 is okay but honestly lacking enough detail that it’s not really fun to fly. I don’t mind a good tube liner but part of what makes those fun (imo) is fairly accurate true to life complexity. The stock 787 feels more or less like setting up the stock TBM, except it can cruise for 16 hours or whatever.

I still stand by my point - unless you’re super attached to an airframe and don’t think you want to wait/pay for a better version (and/or learn some crazy in depth payware version), just skip it.

I’ve flown I think almost every variant (okay you’re right, I’m sure it’s the Robins I’ve missed) and they’re just really not worth the $120 considering how similar they are to the $60/game pass offering.

YMMV of course. I wouldn’t say I’m regretting my purchase considering the hours I already have invested, but I could probably do without the $120 version content and have little difference other than a vague and misguided FOMO.

I like the additional airports! Taking off from Cairo, SFO, Denver or Heathrow is all very nice. Definitely agreed on the jets being broken; they need to fix the fuel consumption on those fuckers stat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There were some community fuel flow cfg fixes prepatch, I bet somebody has updated them though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles posted:

What's wrong with the Robins?

Nothing really wrong with their implementation from what I can tell, though it's not like I'd really know. I have noticed that the DR400 is really quite slow. I wasn't paying too close attention to my actual speeds, but I noticed that I was barely able to go beyond the white tape in straight and level flight at 6000 feet (and I was at full throttle with the correct mixture setting to max out RPM). I dunno how true to life that is. The CAP 10 is what you'd expect from an older tandem-seat acrobatic trainer. It's not as fast and agile as the Extra or Pitts, but you can still pull some maneuvers with it.

The planes seem fine if you want to fly those specific planes for whatever reason, but if you're choosing a plane suited for a specific role, there are better picks for both. Though the DR400 is an interesting alternative to the 152 if you want to fly with steam gauges but only have the standard edition of MSFS.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 23, 2020

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I can confirm that turning ground aircraft density to zero made the A320 flyable for me. Live traffic was still on, just turned off the ground stuff. Tried five times with it on, from the same gate at KLAS, and couldn't even turn on the battery, switched ground traffic off and boom...whole thing came to life instantly. Really weird. Did a flight from KLAS to KLAX and it went smooth as hell, even using managed modes (though I doubt my passengers will forget that climb out any time soon). While the rate of climb/descent on managed mode is still insane, it does actually do all the things it's supposed to. Like leveling off around 10.000 to slow down.

It all went great right up to the point where ATC tried to have me descent into a mountain though. But that was kinda my own fault as my flightplan went direct to the 7L ILS without an approach, which would've taken me around those mountains to begin with. Nothing turned off at any point, screens kept working all the way to the gate. I'm also using the A320 mod, which is awesome and now also has some voices for the cabin check, and which also fixes the engine switching off when you turn off the APU.

It does seem as though the AI going through its process affects the player's plane, which is a really odd bug. Probably something to do with models getting instanced from the same pool the player's plane comes from and not being made unique. I wonder if it would help to set the AI planes to generic models instead of the real ones, so that maybe their button calls don't overlap with mine. But yeah if you're experiencing things randomly turning off, especially screens and avionics, try setting ground aircraft density to zero and see if that helps.

All in all I finally had fun in the A320 again, so I'm happy :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Unless you set very specific and rare weather conditions or you’re doing noise abatement 12a-6a, should really be doing 24/25 arrivals into lax.

Still really weird to have any mountains come into play

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

sellouts posted:

Unless you set very specific and rare weather conditions or you’re doing noise abatement 12a-6a, should really be doing 24/25 arrivals into lax.

Still really weird to have any mountains come into play
Yeah I just went with what the flight planner assigned me, thought it was a bit odd. And like I said, the mountains was purely because I didn't put in an arrival, just went direct to the approach from my last waypoint on the KLAS departure. That just happened to put me over the mountains north of LAX during the ATC assigned descent, my own fault really.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't think the game cares about usual operations for airports that might always run a particular runway. It just picks the best one based on wind.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If that’s the case there is no way it’s ever picking 7L from April to about December or February. East ops at LAX is exceedingly rare.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Tried FSX Steam edition since I've had it for a long time and I got it before I had a TrackIR.

I didn't realize it even had virtual cockpits and that I didn't have to fly with the 2D panel. It's actually pretty fun still, even if it's not as pretty. The Steam edition even modded the stock aircraft a bit. I didn't know there was a grand caravan in there the whole time. Generous amount of missions too, and that's before I go look for 3rd party ones.

The F-18 flies like poo poo though, I'm spoiled by DCS (rare sentence there). Tried to do a carrier landing but it felt like a toy. Too fast and too floaty, like an Arma 3 plane lol. I'll stick to lumbering airliners and Cessnas in this one.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

JayKay posted:

AOPA Air Safety Institute did a case study on a flight that crashed due to the pilot's reliance on NEXRAD. Basically like you posted, NEXRAD isn't real-time as there's a bit of delay.

Honestly, watching videos like this and a ton of other plane crash related videos and reading about such crashes really helps you get in the frame of mind of how mindful you need to be flying. And I realize whatever sim you're playing is just a sim, it can't recreate true forces on your body and most yokes and sticks don't have force feedback but its very cool that in say, the newest flight sim game here we have great cloud coverage graphics and effects and it really hits home how important know how to read your instruments is when you have to go from VFR to IFR.

I feel like in the last month I've learned a lot just by watching videos like this. I even before this game came out was very interested in reading about commercial airliner crashes and it just hits home how much learning from experience/disaster has been instituted by the FAA. About how many safety nets are in place to avoid disasters and then when you watch a video like the above how you see how private pilots who don't have copilots or maybe just have too much pride and not enough hours lend themselves to disaster. And also you see that often a commercial airliner is beset by a cascading amount of very unlikely failures that lead to problems...and even then you see how very experience pilots are able to overcome insanely difficult scenarios to keep people alive.

American Air 232 comes to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Flying around in the sim has made me realize how on top of your poo poo you need to be when flying. I was doing a flight in new Zealand. Just flying from one airport to another to test out my framerate in an area I've never been to before. I was several miles away from my destination airport and was trying to figure out how I was going to head in and getting things sorted. Then I looked up from what I was doing and I was suddenly directly over the airport.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Flying around in the sim has made me realize how on top of your poo poo you need to be when flying. I was doing a flight in new Zealand. Just flying from one airport to another to test out my framerate in an area I've never been to before. I was several miles away from my destination airport and was trying to figure out how I was going to head in and getting things sorted. Then I looked up from what I was doing and I was suddenly directly over the airport.

Seriously, this game makes me want to try out some flight lessons but then I get terrified as I space out for a second during a long leg and whoops

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
MSFS made me realize I should never fly a plane when I flew VFR into a cloud in mountainous terrain and told my self don't worry, the artificial ground on the GPS will keep me out of trouble.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Anyone else having this super fun 787 bug? A few times now I’ve been coming in to land and take over from AP and basically lose all pitch control unless I ram the throttles to max. Trim is neutral, everything is off (including AT) and it just does not respond to pitch input.

Same thing has happened a few times on take off where I can pitch up off the runway but then level off like 200ft off the ground and cannot ascend unless I throw on AP and set VS mode.

Real fun when I finished up a 1000mi flight in on air by nosediving into the runway. God drat it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

zedprime posted:

MSFS made me realize I should never fly a plane when I flew VFR into a cloud in mountainous terrain and told my self don't worry, the artificial ground on the GPS will keep me out of trouble.

Rip Kobe :(

Speaking of CFIT can I switch to a radar altimeter on any of these planes?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

One of the aviation threads is titled "SVFR means fly as you CFIT" and, after looking up what those acronyms mean, it makes me laugh every time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

skooma512 posted:

The G1000 equipped ones will just say RA +altitude on the screen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

Civilian aircraft with radar altimeters almost never switch inputs like some pointy jets. You’ll have a separate indicator, or an overlay like the G1000.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

skooma512 posted:

The altimeter tape will always show barometric altitude. If your plane has a radar altimeter (not all of them do), it's a separate number in your PFD (usually prefaced by RA) and comes on within 2500 feet of the ground.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

extremely true. that was one of the things i really noticed when i started flying in real life. you're usually going at least a hundred miles an hour and you can't just slow down or pull over or stop for a breather. things can come at you fast even in a slow plane and you have to be able to respond to them in seconds. planning ahead is really important. the ability to divide your attention and task-switch without getting bogged down is critical.

Kunabomber posted:

Seriously, this game makes me want to try out some flight lessons but then I get terrified as I space out for a second during a long leg and whoops

do it anyway. you won't be flying solo for at least your first 10 or 15 flights

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK so like, how delayed is the real-time weather? What is their source? I took off from SeaTac where it's raining and gusty IRL but surface winds were 2 knots, although got quite heavy around 1,000 feet, but overcast, no rain. Pressure in game is 29.84in, real life metar from 30 minutes ago is

quote:

Conditions at: KSEA (SEATTLE/METRO , WA, US) observed 2253 UTC 23 September 2020
Temperature: 17.2°C (63°F)
Dewpoint: 15.0°C (59°F) [RH = 87%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.75 inches Hg (1007.5 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1007.9 mb]
Winds: from the S (170 degrees) at 17 MPH (15 knots; 7.7 m/s)
gusting to 24 MPH (21 knots; 10.8 m/s)
Visibility: 6 miles (10 km)
Ceiling: 9000 feet AGL
Clouds: few clouds at 4400 feet AGL
overcast cloud deck at 9000 feet AGL
Weather: -RA BR (light rain, mist)
It's been raining all day already but the main menu map still only had precipitation off shore. So is it super delayed or what?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Charles posted:

OK so like, how delayed is the real-time weather? What is their source? I took off from SeaTac where it's raining and gusty IRL but surface winds were 2 knots, although got quite heavy around 1,000 feet, but overcast, no rain. Pressure in game is 29.84in, real life metar from 30 minutes ago is

It's been raining all day already but the main menu map still only had precipitation off shore. So is it super delayed or what?

The joke being that this was the guy explaining the meteoblue weather in an MSFS video. It's probably just some mix of delayed + bad estimation based on which way the battery rolled, I guess.

e: also I think the surface winds not really materializing until 1000ft AGL or so is just another bug. I wonder if they tried to fudge some "stuff on ground blocks wind" or something bizarre, because even taking off in what was immediately 40-50kt winds during the last hurricane, the ground was reasonably calm at 10kts.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 24, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I kinda want to take lessons irl but I kinda don't want to huff 100LL fumes and I think I can find better uses for ten to twenty thousand dollars.

Tempting though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I will definitely buy MSFS2030, because it's been really enjoyable learning about aviation and then having a place to put it into practice. I still haven't hit the point where I'm making GBS threads my pants in rage because a button doesn't work, but I'm pretty confident I won't go bankrupt on OnAir. The TBM was the first non-Cessna I tried and it remains easily my favorite.

There is no way in hell you'd ever get me up in an aircraft. Having to remember rules, checklists, how to actually fly, watch all the gauges, watch for other planes, watch the ground, possibly be flying something with no forward visibility, fuel mixture and rpm settings, radios, wind, landing... there's like a 98% chance I'd die solo and a 100% chance if I did land they'd immediately tear up whatever the equivalent of a learner's permit is. While I'd never do it in-game I totally get the landing videos where the aspiring pilot panics and is suddenly driving with their rear end while frantically pushing every button.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I've been playing since launch and now I'm p. sure I can land a cessna if I needed to.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
same

it might need some time in the shop afterwards tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When I'm rich I'm still buying a plane with Garmin Autoland and a chute too maybe, haha.