Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Seriously what the hell is a gold card company? Google only points right back to the Costco uk requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Are memberships shareable overseas? I'd be happy to offer the available spots in my Executive Membership provided you are from a respected family (landed gentry only pls).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hakimashou posted:

Qualifying Employment Groups
Current or Retired Employee of:
Banking / Finance
Local Government
Fire / Rescue Service
Post Office
Airlines
Education
Police Force
Civil Service / Armed Forces
Medical / Health Service
Insurance
OR
Qualified as:

Qualified / Certified / Chartered Accountant
Chartered Architect
Doctors (MD) / Dentist / Optician / Pharmacist
Chartered Surveyor
Solicitor / Barrister / Magistrate / Advocate
Chartered Engineer / Civil etc
OR
Current or Retired employees of a UK or USA Gold Company.

:thunk:

What on earth? Those aren't like, civil service type positions. In the US it's generally military, veterans, and first responders who qualify for whatever exclusive thing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:thunk:

What on earth? Those aren't like, civil service type positions. In the US it's generally military, veterans, and first responders who qualify for whatever exclusive thing.

this isnt even a special thing its the basic requirements to get a costco membership period

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Blue Collars KEEP OUT

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get your shop towels somewhere else

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to Costco UK. No poors please.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Offical slogan of the Tory party.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Costco should be available to all...liberation...revolution is needed in the UK

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Disagree with a lot of the thread:
1- kimchi is ok but so bland.
2- shoyo ramen , ok with egg but I can’t seem to make it in microwave without getting the noodles way too soft.
3-Korean style frozen dumplings in a bag, not bad but the same brand as Kroger without a big price difference.
4-fresh sweet Italian sausages so loving bland. Don’t remember the brand, they made me pine for the aggressive flavor profile of loving Wisconsin’s Jonsonville.
5-box of trayed individual 6pc dumpling servings- above average and extra plastic waste makes them work well in microwave.
6- polar seltzer- same as any other brand and dirt cheap a+++ will buy again. Last case had some leaky half-empty cans so I will prolly bring back case upc to get a refund.
7- honeycrisp apples, asparagus, peaches, gently caress yes. Always perfect.

Hmmm, maybe I’ll take the rest of the crappy sausages out of the freezer and return those with the seltzer upc.

Finally, gently caress COVID food court. No combo, or even special order veggie or sausage pizza, only yellow mustard and CATSUP for dogs? Garbage. Utter loving bullshit.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Remulak posted:

5-box of trayed individual 6pc dumpling servings- above average and extra plastic waste makes them work well in microwave.

You really want to steam these instead of using the microwave, unless you're referring to the taste.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I made a monster trip today, and the cashier was super in to packing my cart like it was tetris.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You really want to steam these instead of using the microwave, unless you're referring to the taste.

Steamed is better I'm sure, but they are perfect for keeping at work and microwaving there for a kick rear end lunch.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Heffer posted:

I made a monster trip today, and the cashier was super in to packing my cart like it was tetris.

A blessed cart, well done.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Heffer posted:

Look at this scrub who only gets a single cart.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Gravitee posted:

New thread title

Yay thanks mod! I've never got a thread title change before!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Do they recognize US memberships? I haven't been to the UK since '08, shamefully before I had a Costco membership.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RoastBeef posted:

Do they recognize US memberships? I haven't been to the UK since '08, shamefully before I had a Costco membership.

They do, I've used my US membership at every Costco country except China and Iceland, because I haven't been back to either for work since they opened.

I remember reading about the UK membership requirements at some point, and the trade license requirements were because of UK law in order for them to actually charge a membership fee.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Heffer posted:

My past cashiering self is looking at this and is deeply disappointed by the rotisserie chickens under the cart and paper towels in the basket.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Costco's continual failure to weld on a flipdown three row rotisserie chicken holder to its carts its its greatest shame.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

Disagree with a lot of the thread:
1- kimchi is ok but so bland.
2- shoyo ramen , ok with egg but I can’t seem to make it in microwave without getting the noodles way too soft.
3-Korean style frozen dumplings in a bag, not bad but the same brand as Kroger without a big price difference.
4-fresh sweet Italian sausages so loving bland. Don’t remember the brand, they made me pine for the aggressive flavor profile of loving Wisconsin’s Jonsonville.
6- polar seltzer- same as any other brand and dirt cheap a+++ will buy again. Last case had some leaky half-empty cans so I will prolly bring back case upc to get a refund.
7- honeycrisp apples, asparagus, peaches, gently caress yes. Always perfect.

Hmmm, maybe I’ll take the rest of the crappy sausages out of the freezer and return those with the seltzer upc.

Finally, gently caress COVID food court. No combo, or even special order veggie or sausage pizza, only yellow mustard and CATSUP for dogs? Garbage. Utter loving bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xOxXmyPD0I

WE DON'T SPEAK ILL OF COSTCO

I've had one or two bad apples from Costco and it made me immensely sad. And the honeycrisps are too big. There, I said it. The honeycrisp apples are too goddamn big.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Fellas the organic probiotic sauerkraut in a tub with a green label sold in the refrigerated section is incredible.

I have put it on two Costco dogs so far and I am making reubens later this week with it.

Very sad that I couldn't find the Red's street corn dip last time I went. Please tell me it's not gone forever

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Finally had a steak as per this thread's advice. That is, once you go Prime you never go back.

Oh good lord do I hate you guys. It tasted halfway between butter and the Platonic ideal of steak. I guess $40 for 6 steaks isn't too bad if I have one per month, but I still feel like a dweeb for needing this in my life.

As for cook style, I'm kind of lazy so I just seared/cooked it in butter with a couple sprigs of thyme in a cast iron skillet. Nice crust, nice cook, nice flavor, fine by me.

PS: I'm sorry, Britain. :britain:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That's not lazy. Add some garlic cloves and you have god's method of cooking steak.

And by some garlic, I of course mean two entire heads per person.

e: and of course, enough salt that the surface is basically a salt lick.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a confession. My wife is a degenerate who only eats well done steak. I almost exclusively buy the Costco filet mignon because it's so god drat good that it doesn't turn into shoe leather when you cook it well done. It's not my favorite type of steak, but it's still extremely satisfying.

Plus, what I do for her steak, is that I'll cook it alongside mine to a nice medium rare. Then (after resting) I'll slice her steak into thin strips and throw it back into the cast iron filled with butter so each slice gets to sear again. It cooks through to well done in a matter of minutes but not so long that it dries out. For as much as I think well done steaks are an abomination, it actually comes out incredibly good this way. She won't eat the fatty tips so those are my special treat that I get to look forward to. She has no idea what she's missing.

I could do with a nice, thick ribeye sometime soon though. The filet is nice and tender but it's just not as beefy tasting.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

(No joke, my mom requires shoe leather and it drives me nuts, that's a great solution.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Renegret posted:

I have a confession. My wife is a degenerate who only eats well done steak. I almost exclusively buy the Costco filet mignon because it's so god drat good that it doesn't turn into shoe leather when you cook it well done. It's not my favorite type of steak, but it's still extremely satisfying.

Plus, what I do for her steak, is that I'll cook it alongside mine to a nice medium rare. Then (after resting) I'll slice her steak into thin strips and throw it back into the cast iron filled with butter so each slice gets to sear again. It cooks through to well done in a matter of minutes but not so long that it dries out. For as much as I think well done steaks are an abomination, it actually comes out incredibly good this way. She won't eat the fatty tips so those are my special treat that I get to look forward to. She has no idea what she's missing.

I could do with a nice, thick ribeye sometime soon though. The filet is nice and tender but it's just not as beefy tasting.

I’ve found the Costco NY strip to be more beefy/steak flavored than the RibEye, but both are very good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bought a 20lb prime packer brisket yesterday, chili season is going to be amazing this year.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Does anyone else speedrun Costco during the pandemic or is it just my weird brain?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

Does anyone else speedrun Costco during the pandemic or is it just my weird brain?

I do the same thing, only what's on the list, avoid the center isles and the electronics. GTFO.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

I'm right there with you. I'm ashamed to admit that I avoid as much of the food section as I can due to the sheer number of people zombie-shuffling around with their masks under their chin. I cannot wait for this to pass so I may go back to browsing The Church in peace.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

Yep. Costco used to be my wife and me and our two kids browsing for a long time, then eating.

Now it's a solo run, head down, just get what's on the list, ignore the entire middle section, and go. It's sad.

Also, I had a Taiwanese Costco membership, but it couldn't be used here in the US. Different systems, they didn't have a way to look up my information at all.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Fellas the organic probiotic sauerkraut in a tub with a green label sold in the refrigerated section is incredible.

I have put it on two Costco dogs so far and I am making reubens later this week with it.

Is it tangy, with a little bite to it? That's how I like my 'kraut.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

fischtick posted:

WE DON'T SPEAK ILL OF COSTCO
Well I had a weird one last week.

My son is turning 5 so we're getting him a "big boy" bed. We have the frame and since we've been happy with the mattress we use that was ordered from Costco.com (and the washer and the stove) I tried to order a new full-sized mattress.

First, the site complained that my membership had expired on 8/31. We were last there that week and so I was slightly miffed that they notify me then. I know in 25 years they've never pre-emptively notified me or my parents, but I wish they would. No big deal, I'll just renew online.

NOPE. I'm on my parents business account and it wouldn't let me renew because I wasn't in as my parents name. That seemed odd to not be able renew since I routinely renew in the store without any complaint.

I was allowed to order the mattress with a 5% "non-member charge" which didn't seem unreasonable to me (my Costco is about 40 min away and I didn't have an immediate plan to go there). So I ordered and got a confirmation email. Twenty minutes later I received a cancellation with no explanation at all. Thinking maybe I'd mistyped my credit card, I tried again with the same result.

It seemed obvious to me that despite no explicit explanation, the explanation was in fact due to my expired membership.

So I made a trip, renewed in person, and re-ordered the mattress the other day without incident.

Kind of speaking ill here.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cheesus posted:

Well I had a weird one last week.

My son is turning 5 so we're getting him a "big boy" bed. We have the frame and since we've been happy with the mattress we use that was ordered from Costco.com (and the washer and the stove) I tried to order a new full-sized mattress.

First, the site complained that my membership had expired on 8/31. We were last there that week and so I was slightly miffed that they notify me then. I know in 25 years they've never pre-emptively notified me or my parents, but I wish they would. No big deal, I'll just renew online.

NOPE. I'm on my parents business account and it wouldn't let me renew because I wasn't in as my parents name. That seemed odd to not be able renew since I routinely renew in the store without any complaint.

I was allowed to order the mattress with a 5% "non-member charge" which didn't seem unreasonable to me (my Costco is about 40 min away and I didn't have an immediate plan to go there). So I ordered and got a confirmation email. Twenty minutes later I received a cancellation with no explanation at all. Thinking maybe I'd mistyped my credit card, I tried again with the same result.

It seemed obvious to me that despite no explicit explanation, the explanation was in fact due to my expired membership.

So I made a trip, renewed in person, and re-ordered the mattress the other day without incident.

Kind of speaking ill here.

The website sucks, no one argues about that

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It is acceptable to speak ill of the costco dot com.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1308764062906544128

quote:

In reaction to the murder of two local residents, Brian Henry, founder of Palmetto Cheese and mayor of Pawleys Island, South Carolina, took to Facebook on Aug. 25 with a message many residents considered to be racist in nature."I am sickened by the senseless killings in Georgetown last night. 2 [sic] innocent people murdered. Not 2 thugs or people wanted on multiple warrants. 2 white people defenselessly gunned down by a black man," Henry wrote. "So why do we stand by and allow BLM to lawlessly destroy great American cities and threaten their citizens on a daily basis ... this has gone on too long. Rise up America. This BLM and Antifa movement must be treated like the terror organizations they are."

quote:

Henry was unreachable for comment Tuesday, but on Sept. 3, the mayor issued an apology for the Facebook post at a press conference at the Pawleys Island Sea View Inn, which Henry and his wife, Sassy, own and operate. He did not address the NAACP's call for his mayoral resignation, but did ask that people consider the hundreds of South Carolina workers Palmetto employs before boycotting the brand.

Edit: Sassy looks pissed

Waterbed Wendy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Naw that's the look of "white woman mad she's being called out for being racist/married to a racist." Good on the 'co for dropping them.