Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
G1 Climax Night 1 [9/19]
MOTYC
Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi - The weakest of their 3 matches over the last year and change is still an excellent main event with two of the best wrestlers in the world. The Money Clip doesn't dock it enough points to knock it down to HM but loving hell Okada get over it already.
Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii - gently caress YEAH

HM
Shingo Takagi vs Jay White - Very good match but didn't quite hit third gear for me. Not enough of Shingo lariating the gently caress out of everything that moves for my taste, I think.
Taichi vs Jeff Cobb - By the end this was really fun but it started off pretty weak and, again, Jeff Cobb should not be selling even half as much as he does in New Japan, so I don't know why they book him like that.

I'm not going to rate Ospreay's matches. Not that he and Yujiro were actually going to make the list, mind you. Maybe if I were feeling extra generous, but, gently caress Ospreay.

G1 Climax Night 2 [9/20]
MOTYC
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito - Fantastic. With how absolutely destroyed these two are they should not be able to put on a match this good at this point, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.
Zack Sabre Jr. vs EVIL - This G1 is a chance for EVIL to prove that no, he is actually still a really good wrestler when he's not awkwardly forced into wrestling 30 minute Okada/Tanahashi style epics with 5 minutes of interference at the end where a finish is supposed to go. Zack is one of his best opponents so if anyone was going to pull a good one out of him it would be Zack.
Juice Robinson vs YOSHI-HASHI - The in-ring of this one is probably on the border of MOTYC and HM, and normally I'd go HM to be safe but the crowd absolutely put this one over the edge. They were clearly very happy to see Juice back in action, even with as loving weird as his new look is.

HM
KENTA vs Hirooki Goto - Not quite on the level of their Tokyo Dome match but still pretty much what you'd expect out of these two.
SANADA vs Toru Yano - Again, this is basically exactly what you expect, outside of the finish. loving Uemura heel turn. Absolute bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
20th September
NOAH N-1 Victory Night 3
Manabu Soya vs Masa Kitamiya

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1307594394489565184?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

This next month, Ishii is probably gonna end up with at least twice the total number of MOTYCs that WWE gets all year.

Need someone to give Taichi/Cobb one more MOTYC nomination for Taichi to equal the WWE main roster's MOTYC count

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
On reflection I'd like upgrade my Juice/Y-H nomination to MOTYC. I let the fact it was YOSHI-HASHI keep me from giving it enough praise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
20th September
NOAH N-1 Victory Night 3
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Maasaki Mochizuki

Felt like a fairly short match but Saku did his grappling & Mochi did his kicking & it gave me exactly what I wanted.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

HM
20th September
NOAH N-1 Victory Night 3
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Maasaki Mochizuki

Felt like a fairly short match but Saku did his grappling & Mochi did his kicking & it gave me exactly what I wanted.

2nd

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HM - Noah N-1 Victory 20th September
Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kazushi Sakuraba
Takashi Sugiura vs Shuhei Taniguchi

Nothing groundbreaking when compared to the NJ card earlier, but some good to great matches that just flew by.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

HM - N1 Victory 20th September

Nothing groundbreaking when compared to the NJ card earlier, but some good to great matches that just flew by.

2nd that. Nice little match. God the whole show was over so quickly. Not having an intermission rules

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Neodoomium posted:

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs. Yunamon, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro Live 49, 9/19

Nth, it was good.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

HM
20th September
NOAH N-1 Victory Night 3

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1307594394489565184?s=20

Technically Manabu Soya is a substitute for Manabu Beef.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

After a nice night's sleep:

G1 Climax Night 2 (9/20)
MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs EVIL

Waffled on this a bit but sentiment, significance, and the obsessive excellence of ZSJ pushed it over the edge for me. Also Milano going nuts for the finish. Also ZSJ getting the gently caress out of the ring because he knows EVIL is going to need to beat up someone and he'd rather it was Red Shoes.

MOTYC: KENTA vs Hirooki Goto

Goto is never anything other than solid, and KENTA really found his groove. Now that I'm seeing him back in Japan, I think the time off was a nice additional chance to heal some more. This may be the secret sauce for this G1 -- *everyone* had some chance to rest up.

HM: Juice Robinson vs YOSHI-HASHI

Good but not great in-ring work. YOSHI-HASHI clearly is going to give it his all this year. Juice needs to start bringing a toothpick to his matches.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Thanlis posted:

After a nice night's sleep:

G1 Climax Night 2 (9/20)
MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs EVIL

MOTYC: KENTA vs Hirooki Goto

HM: Juice Robinson vs YOSHI-HASHI

Good but not great in-ring work. YOSHI-HASHI clearly is going to give it his all this year. Juice needs to start bringing a toothpick to his matches.

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW G1 Climax Night 2, 20/09

SG Bamboo posted:

HM - Noah N-1 Victory 20th September
Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kazushi Sakuraba

nth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would HM everything from this morning except for YTR/Sanada and the finish to that ruled.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
scrolling past all of the match recs for the g1 i haven't started on yet so i can post

HM: Chris Dickinson vs Matt Makowski, Beyond 9/20

american indie wrestling has had a loving terrible time of it as of late (outside of deathmatch feds taking advantage of the extremely grimey aestheic they can pull off in no-ring/no-crowd/random barn fights) and this is definitely the best singles match I've seen since shows started coming back

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 20, 2020

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Best Friends vs. Proud N Powerful in a Parking Lot Fight - AEW Dynamite 9/16

Ahem, in the words of a Japanese commentator..... "AHHHH! DANGEROUS! DANGEROUSSSSSS!"

Belated and unneeded but holy nth.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Unnecessary G1 Nth-ing now that I've caught up:

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

Rarity posted:

HM: Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

Rarity posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. EVIL, NJPW G1 Climax Night 2, 20/09

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax 30 Night 2 9/20

Match of the weekend was Tanahashi/Naito. Just a great story and Tana looked GREAT trimmed down.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

HM: Maki Itoh/Mizuki vs Shoko Nakajima/Yuka Sakazaki, Tokyo Joshi 9/21

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

this is probably gona be lost in the G1 nominations buuuuut

MOTYC: Maki Itoh & Mizuki vs Yuka Sakazaki and Shoko Nakajima, TJPW Live With Your Time 21/09

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: ZSJ vs Evil, KENTA vs GOTO

MOTYC: Tanahashi vs Naito - All Night 2 of the G1

Tanahashi vs Naito is the most a panademic era match has felt like a big time New Japan main event

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
21st September
Dragongate Dangerous Gate 2020
Open the Brave Gate
Kaito Ishida(c) vs Yosuke♡Santa Maria

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

Nth

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
21st September
Open the Brave Gate

Will 2nd that. They could have cut some time from the old men do comedy match to give this some extra time to get to MOTYC status, but as is, near perfect mid-card title match.

And might as well get these down while they set up the cage for the main event. Also from Dangerous Gate

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Dragon Gate (Ben-K, Dragon Dia, and Strong Machine J) vs. R.E.D. (Kazma Sakamoto, Takeshi Yoshida, and Diamante)

A great trios sprint, with a surprising amount of story going on for such a match, with SMJ being rusty from returning from injury, Dia attempting to overcome his slump against R.E.D. and Ben-K injuring his shoulder taking stupid bumps. Kazma continues his inexplicably great Dragon Gate run.

MOTYC: Naruki Doi vs. Kzy

This match could have fit seamlessly next to any number of classic G1 sprints, with both guys attempting and throwing bombs early and often and going right into finishing stretch territory.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Jason Lee & Kota Minoura vs. Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokuska

This match just straight whipped rear end. Best tag division in wrestling.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 26, 2020

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

forkboy84 posted:

HM
21st September
Open the Brave Gate

Dimebags Brain posted:

Also from Dangerous Gate

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Dragon Gate (Ben-K, Dragon Dia, and Strong Machine J) vs. R.E.D. (Kazma Sakamoto, Takeshi Yoshida, and Diamante)

A great trios sprint, with a surprising amount of story going on for such a match, with SMJ being rusty from returning from injury, Dia attempting to overcome his slump against R.E.D. and Ben-K injuring his shoulder taking stupid bumps. Kazma continues his inexplicably great Dragon Gate run.

MOTYC: Naruki Doi vs. Kzy

This match could have fit seamlessly next to any number of classic G1 sprints, with both guys attempting and throwing bombs early and often and going right into finishing stretch territory.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Jason Lee & Kota Minoru vs. Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokuska

nthing these. Dangerous Gate delivered from top to bottom once again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Will 2nd that. They could have cut some time from the old men do comedy match to give this some extra time to get to MOTYC status, but as is, near perfect mid-card title match.

And might as well get these down while they set up the cage for the main event. Also from Dangerous Gate

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Jason Lee & Kota Minoru vs. Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokuska

nth these and

HM
21st September
Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate 2020
Clusterfuck Apuesta Cagematch
Big R Shimizu vs KAI vs BxB Hulk vs YAMATO vs Masato Yoshino vs Eita

This is a super hard match to compare to anything but previous DG multiman cagematches, it's a ludicrous spectacle, very silly, very enjoyable. It hit all the points it needed to, it was very satisfying and a great topper to a great show. And I missed my bus because I was watching the promos at the end despite not understanding what was said which was loving dumb of me

Held off on voting for Doi vs Kzy until I rewatch it. I kind of hate not MOTYCing this because not splitting the vote is the only way DG stuff will get enough votes but I just felt on first watch through it didn't hit the heights I'd expect from a MOTYC. But part of that could be on me waking up at 6am after not enough sleep and kind of zoning out on it, so rather than going with HM like my gut says I'm going to watch it back later in the hope that the fault lies with me. Definitely think it was hurt by the stakes being non-existent though, relative to a G1 match for example.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 21, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

nth these and

HM
21st September
Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate 2020
Clusterfuck Apuesta Cagematch
Big R Shimizu vs KAI vs BxB Hulk vs YAMATO vs Masato Yoshino vs Eita

This is a super hard match to compare to anything but previous DG multiman cagematches, it's a ludicrous spectacle, very silly, very enjoyable. It hit all the points it needed to, it was very satisfying and a great topper to a great show. And I missed my bus because I was watching the promos at the end despite not understanding what was said which was loving dumb of me

I'll go MOTYC on the cage match. In ring stuff was only HM quality but the character and booking stuff, plus the post match, pushed it up to MOTYC for me. Just a big dumb grin on my face for most of the match. If you've been invested in the build and following along since the return in August, this match had a lot to sink your teeth into. KAI was an absolute delight Everything from YAMATO's entrance to KAI's escape was perfect pro-wrestling.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Neodoomium posted:

Nth, Maki Itoh is the modern Shibata.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
22nd September
Pro Wrestling NOAH N-1 Victory
Kaito Kiyomiya vs Masa Kitamiya

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
22nd September
Go Shiozaki vs Kazushi Sakuraba

This was all about Go's right arm, Saku trying to tip it off to take away the chops and the lariats.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Both of these are HMs from Ring of Honor Wrestling TV 470.

David Finlay vs. Rocky Romero
Delirious vs. Matt Sydal

Both were really solid technical matches with great storytelling from the intro videos and the announcers, especially Ian Riccaboni.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

HM
22nd September
Go Shiozaki vs Kazushi Sakuraba

forkboy84 posted:

HM
22nd September
Kaito Kiyomiya vs Masa Kitamiya

Nth to both of these, and also

HM - NOAH N-1 Victory 22/09/20
Kenoh vs Shuhei Taniguchi

Really cool ten minute match, both guys looked great. Thought the main event was pretty good too, but considering it was Suigiura vs Marufuji I expected a bit more. A good closing stretch but the middle was too slow for me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Nth to both of these, and also

HM - NOAH N-1 Victory 22/09/20
Kenoh vs Shuhei Taniguchi

Really cool ten minute match, both guys looked great. Thought the main event was pretty good too, but considering it was Suigiura vs Marufuji I expected a bit more. A good closing stretch but the middle was too slow for me.

Yeah, I was bummed by the first half or so of Sugi vs Marufuji but when it going it was very fun. I was borderline on it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

HM Ben Carter vs Lee Johnson - AEW Dark 09/22/20

Go watch this if you haven't.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

HM: Ben Carter vs. Lee Johnson AEW Dark 9/22/20

Enthralling. Best way to describe. It felt like some sort of old school Ospreay and Ricochet match with the athleticism.

The chemistry was incredibly solid by two young talents. I couldn’t turn away. Loved it!

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Akileese posted:

nth

that's what i call a two contract match

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Akileese posted:

Nthed

Great back and forth match that made both wrestlers look like stars. They should be the future of AEW.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Akileese posted:

nth. Just amazing.

Also nominating Kilynn King vs Serena Deeb for HM from the same show

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ICR posted:

HM: Ben Carter vs. Lee Johnson AEW Dark 9/22/20

Enthralling. Best way to describe. It felt like some sort of old school Ospreay and Ricochet match with the athleticism.

The chemistry was incredibly solid by two young talents. I couldn’t turn away. Loved it!

I think most of the Dark nominations are a bit much but this was genuinely a very good match that would get over on any Dynamite or top tier indie show. Nth.

Both guys looked great.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Akileese posted:

Nth. These two, in their early 20s, put on a match that rivals Omega vs. Janela in a Lights Out match for the best match that's been on Dark.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 23, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
23rd September
Pro Wrestling NOAH N-1 Victory Afternoon Show
Kenoh vs Yoshiki Inamura

Kongo have been holding nothing back in all these matches against each other in this tournament. Here the group leader battered the group young boy, brutally. Very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Punch McLightning posted:

Both of these are HMs from Ring of Honor Wrestling TV 470.

David Finlay vs. Rocky Romero
Delirious vs. Matt Sydal

Both were really solid technical matches with great storytelling from the intro videos and the announcers, especially Ian Riccaboni.

Do you have an airdate for these, please?