Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Buddy, Alisa Bosconovich is like, mega gay.

The Gay Agenda is installing chainsaws in your arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Victory Position posted:

Geiger's power is that of clockwork because he is a character that takes patience to play. "Take your time," he would probably say.

Somehow, the endless repetitive little character barks in Fantasy Strike are even more grating than usual. That's the radical genius of David Sirlin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

Sol and Ky don't have the vibe gay angst in denial.

However, Sol and Ky absolutely have the vibe of that couple that hooked up once, didn't wind up digging it, then has to keep dealing with the fallout as life keeps conspiring to make every future moment between the two as awkward as possible.
yeah this is absolutely the vibe i get from every interaction they have

my greatest wish for strive's story mode is for ky to call sol dad once

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ky breaking down over realising Sol is his father-in-law was an extremely good joke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only fighting game story I ever tried to get into was Blaz Blue and that broke me utterly so I have to believe all of you are just making up stories about these characters.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Barudak posted:

The only fighting game story I ever tried to get into was Blaz Blue and that broke me utterly so I have to believe all of you are just making up stories about these characters.

guilty gears story is somehow less comprehensible than like the first half of blazblue's which is an amazing feat honestly

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chev posted:

Eh, american or not, claims they're fixing the genre mostly make me think of how MVCI or Fantasy Strike were gonna fix the fighting game genre.

Fantasy Strike will help fix the genre in the sense that Sirlin will eventually have to concede that it's not working and go do something else

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will fix the fighting game genre.

1) One button moves on cooldown so everyone can do it
2) Reduce specials to three and supers to 1 to make it easier
3) make it 5v5 so everyone plays
4) Add leveling
6) Add a shop to buy gear mid match
7) Make the fight area bigger so you can surprise other people but not so big you can't just have all 5 people clump up
8) Since characters are simpler make way way more of them
9) Free to play, duh
10) Let people use mouse and keyboard to play, no fightstick needed
11) Change the perspective form x/y to a sort of offset x/y/z overhead orientation to better see the whole arena
12) Make lots of lore noone will ever read about the tensile strength of characters bust support garments

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i really do think there's room for a game sort of like SF2 but with some modern layers applied over it. inputs that arent nearly as hard but balanced around that. character gimmicks/meters and maybe even no supers (but i guess to sell copies you need some kind of cinematics, so stealing krushing blows wouldnt be a bad idea). i think basic games with good walkspeed and fun buttons and major character differences are cool, but i think fantasy strike is mad jank and too simplified.

one really dumb thought ive had about making fighting games more accessible to idiots and making so good players can play bad players is some sort of custom wind condition mode that can be randomized and even weighted -- and each round has a completely different win condition. this would allow idiots to blame the roulette on their loss, but also teach players new fundamental skills on how to Land A Thing because it's now the win condition to land 5 shoryukens this round. it would also add a lot of replayability to players who dont feel like getting good bc each experience is new. it'd have tooltips for some of the lesser known mechanics like:

land 5 counter hits
counter hits are when you hit someone out of the startup animation of their move, here's a picture of a startup animation vs an active frame.

then people only have to focus on learning one major mechanic at a time and kind of integrate it into their brain when they're playing vs other randos.

euphemism fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 23, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Giving players a tangible reward even when they're losing helps keep people engaged, see: battle passes. Note that I am not saying fighting games should have paid battle passes, because they suck, but the principle is there. People want to feel like they're progressing in some measurable way. I don't think anybody would like randomly chosen win conditions or penalties.

Also, you know, online functionality that isn't poo poo, between better netcode, better matchmaking, better lobbies, endless rematch, and reducing tedious stuff like menus between matches.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite thing about fg lesbians is the insanely low-res poster i saw for carnival phantasm once that showed riesbyfe from melty blood hitting on sakura from fate/unlimited codes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Endorph posted:

yeah this is absolutely the vibe i get from every interaction they have

my greatest wish for strive's story mode is for ky to call sol dad once

does this somehow detract from Sin

I'm not sure if a monkey paw curls or if some far-off thing is smiling with delight

edit: what about ROBO-KY

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
SC Yoshi is a human ninja and Tekken Yoshi is a bizarre alien and I like to think they are completely unrelated and it's all a coincidence that they both lead the Manji clan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Fuckin yeah

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

yoshimitsu is the name of the sword, if you wield it you become the next yoshimitsu. the only way to get it is to kill the previous yoshimitsu

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

This

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

ah. this is why people choose the Bosconovich lifestyle.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wait back the gently caress up

Was Ryu a bodyguard for Bruce loving Banner

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gutter Owl posted:

Somehow, the endless repetitive little character barks in Fantasy Strike are even more grating than usual. That's the radical genius of David Sirlin.

YELLOW

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

euphemism posted:

i really do think there's room for a game sort of like SF2 but with some modern layers applied over it. inputs that arent nearly as hard but balanced around that. character gimmicks/meters and maybe even no supers (but i guess to sell copies you need some kind of cinematics, so stealing krushing blows wouldnt be a bad idea). i think basic games with good walkspeed and fun buttons and major character differences are cool, but i think fantasy strike is mad jank and too simplified.

FEXL, but that ship has sailed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xand_Man posted:

Wait back the gently caress up

Was Ryu a bodyguard for Bruce loving Banner

look if you need science done it's better to try and put a danger shield in front of bruce so you don't end up with the opposite of science getting done

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Im being whooshed because their name is Alisa Bosconovitch

deets
Apr 20, 2015

euphemism posted:

This sounds like Granblue to me but I haven't been paying attention, did the thread decide they hated it 100 pages ago

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Late to the party but Gunbuster and Diebuster are the bad-rear end grandma of the mecha genre and are gay as hell

euphemism posted:

guilty gears story is somehow less comprehensible than like the first half of blazblue's which is an amazing feat honestly

i do love that it literally all starts with 'Scientists invented magic'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

deets posted:

did the thread decide they hated it 100 pages ago

You know in your heart that the answer is obviously yes. Remember what thread this is.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

deets posted:

This sounds like Granblue to me but I haven't been paying attention, did the thread decide they hated it 100 pages ago

Granblue is cool but has traditional arcsys delay netcode and some basic lobby functionality inexplicably doesn't work properly so I feel like it never got rolling.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

I feel like Im being whooshed because their name is Alisa Bosconovitch

I'm sorry, I have chainsaws for arms, I can't fix this srorororosaroosaroarosaorisoroasriusoriuwso wo

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

FEXL, but that ship has sailed

The simple elegance of GOUGI

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

there is no place for sf2-likes in a world where being unable to dash or run is unfathomable. in this respect bbtag may be closest to the mark because it gave up the pretense of walking being a valid movement option

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Koihime Enbu

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

chumbler posted:

You know in your heart that the answer is obviously yes. Remember what thread this is.

Granblue is a fine idea held back by awful netcode and how utterly unfun was at/near launch to play either the Katalina or Ferry matchup as most of the cast (especially online.) I have no idea if either the Djeeta or Zooey patches helped with any of that because I'd stopped playing by then. Maybe if Granblue has the kind of post-launch light FighterZ got maybe it'll be a good game someday, but with the game being DOA competitively between the whole pandemic killing the in-person scene weeks after launch and how bad the game feels to play online for both netcode and character design reasons, it'd probably take a miracle for GBVS to keep getting support past Season 2 unless there's just nothing else upcoming on ArkSys' plate besides Strive.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

euphemism posted:

one really dumb thought ive had about making fighting games more accessible to idiots and making so good players can play bad players is some sort of custom wind condition mode that can be randomized and even weighted -- and each round has a completely different win condition. this would allow idiots to blame the roulette on their loss, but also teach players new fundamental skills on how to Land A Thing because it's now the win condition to land 5 shoryukens this round. it would also add a lot of replayability to players who dont feel like getting good bc each experience is new. it'd have tooltips for some of the lesser known mechanics like:

land 5 counter hits
counter hits are when you hit someone out of the startup animation of their move, here's a picture of a startup animation vs an active frame.

then people only have to focus on learning one major mechanic at a time and kind of integrate it into their brain when they're playing vs other randos.

Speaking as an absolute scrub, i kinda enjoy fantasy strike because you can play the whole game without having to muscle memory qcf while you think about what you're trying to do and there's generally enough players around so that i can play against people in my skill range.

I tried getting into tekken 7 but found i couldn't really get to the point where i felt like i was actually playing the game, just figuring out how to actually do the moves in a way that worked.

Also david sirloin sucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Flicking through the translation of the GBVS 2.01 notes and I see that Ladiva's Work the Crowd buffs the next Screwdriver or Leg Drop. Yes, good. Work more wrestling mechanics in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Arzachel posted:

Granblue is cool but has traditional arcsys delay netcode and some basic lobby functionality inexplicably doesn't work properly so I feel like it never got rolling.

It also was released right before shutdown and killed all momentum the game had going. It's a super fun game that I wish to play again in person one day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That fighting games put more emphasis than most genres on intrinsic motivation is a good thing, not a problem to be fixed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Given that they probably won't retrofit roll back into it, Granblue's only hope at this point is that the Japanese scene can keep it afloat long enough for it to recover when/if corona dies down substantially.

Like, you got people like Jiyuna constantly like "Granblue's not dead!" and then 100 people comment "bruh what about everywhere outside of Japan given you loving live there" and he's just like "yeah true, but" Granblue is pretty loving dire outside of Japan right now

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pretty sure this is explicitly untrue of the Soul Calibur Yoshimitsu because he’s the ancestor of the Tekken Yoshimitsu.

To be fair, he might learn about it in the future relative to the time period of the games.

Yoshimitsu is a title the leader of the Manji Clan takes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like granblue will be fine. its a big ip and its still getting updates/characters and probably will for the foreseeable future. that can create new interest as soon as its possible to have physical tournaments again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Whatever even happen to that Kill la Kill game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If we're talking about outside of Japan, that's going to really depend on how much of an interest tomorrow's 2nd Season Pass really brings in terms of bringing back old players. New players are still going to face a big hurdle because the game is still full price and taking a plunge for $60 (or $90 with one pass, or $120 with both passes) is not reasonable. And it's not like "is this game dead?" questions and affirmative answers since summer aren't littered throughout basic google, reddit, or steam community page searches.

If it can't bring back old players, then the game will be back to having either completely empty lobbies even during prime time (except maybe 10-20 SSS Rank players in the East Coast lobby only) and dead ranked if you're above mid-B or A rank, and very slow ranked even below that. You're back to Discord only and that's... not fine right now. And this is just the PS4 version; the PC version is a lot worse.

It would be great if the game could limp to the coronovirus finish line, whenever that is, and push a pretty big revival