Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah but I only think briefly. I kinda zoned out on the mytharc ones for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Reyes was in the season 11 opener, but it'd been such a long time since I saw her I wasn't sure if it was her until Skinner called her "Monica". And now she's working for CSM? WTF?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when they were filming the second movie, they released a lot of fake "leaks" and blurry "set photos" to throw bloggers off the scent, and all the fakes made it seem like the movie was going to be about a werewolf or wendigo or something like that, and I still wish it actually had been that instead.

I just remember the second movie feeling like the villain was tailor-made to incorporate every right-wing bogeyman of 2008. From what I recall, he was a Russian stem-cell researcher who illegally immigrated so he could get a gay marriage in Massachusetts. I think that was the first time when I actively thought, maybe Chris Carter is a bit more right-wing than I thought....

It goes a step further:

not just a gay marriage, but also kidnapping and killing young girls to steal their bodies to implant the head of the lover to become a woman.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
My extremely slow rewatch has finally made it to S2 and in S2 EP2 Mulder is pulled off the generic mobster wiretap hes assigned to to investigate a sewer murder (that turns out to be the blood worm monster man) and hes very pissy about this and interprets it as Skinner punishing him by making him literally wade through poo poo. It's a good episode overall but shoutout to an early scene where he's at the hospital talking to a nurse and does the most exaggerated heavy sigh and looking at his watch like hes a teenager throwing a fit, it's so good

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It truly is astounding how awful a subordinate Mulder is. Skinner puts up with so much poo poo.

Do you remember the time he punched Skinner in the face right in the office, and then passed it off as no big deal because "shadow government agents were lacing my water with LSD"?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Skinner really did have the patience of a saint. Low-key best X-Files character aside from Scully, IMO.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'll give you a pass on that because Jose Chung's second appearance was on Millennium.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

I'll give you a pass on that because Jose Chung's second appearance was on Millennium.

Well, okay, best non-guest character.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mossyfisk posted:

It truly is astounding how awful a subordinate Mulder is. Skinner puts up with so much poo poo.

Do you remember the time he punched Skinner in the face right in the office, and then passed it off as no big deal because "shadow government agents were lacing my water with LSD"?

And amphetamine. To be fair that's a pretty airtight reason

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I remembered the SKINNER ALMOST DIES episode as just some random x-filesey illness that Skinner got and almost died from, but I totally forgot that he was like, infected with nano-machines that Krycek controls so of course then Skinner has to do Krycek's bidding for half a season.

The guy could never catch a break. He also had hard evidence of aliens stolen from him when two dudes jumped him and beat him up in a stair well lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yess this is now the Sinner appreciation moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skinner was the best. The fact that they tried to deliberately engineer Krycek as a perfect nemesis for Mulder but couldn't resist the magnetic pull of Skinner's completely organic and natural hatred of him, even though Skinner is just a supporting character and Mulder is the main character of the show, testifies to the power of Skinner's character. You can see Krycek flying into the show set up to be a lifetime nemesis for Mulder as like a dark reflection of him who immediately betrays him and creates a personal desire for revenge in causing Scully to get abducted and in killing Scully's sister, but one savage beating involving Skinner just makes it the most natural thing in the world that Mulder's hulking, scary work dad would just want to walk over and choke the guy to death every time he sees him after that.

It's completely organic character and plot development that really strengthens the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember that Kumail Nanjiani once described him as the kind of dad that all your friends are a little afraid of who makes you call him sir and would make you smoke a whole pack of cigarettes or dig holes in the back yard as punishment, and that really fits. He also described Deep Throat as like a permissive liberal dad who would never yell at you and just trusts that you'll come to the right decision on your own, which I still have to think about.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Skinner dad would lock you on the balcony for the night

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That makes me miss The X-Files Files. Though it does suck that Devin Faraci was on all the Mytharc episodes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like when X and Skinner beat the poo poo out of each other. Probably my two favorite characters on the show going at it. Yyeaaah.

Seriously though X was a badass and I wish they kept him around longer. I never liked the way he went out. And only to be replaced by Marita Covarubius who was kinda boring.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

After The War posted:

Unless this has changed, to my knowledge, you actually get less of the original image with the Blu-Rays, at least for the first four seasons. Rather than just keeping it in the 4:3 aspect ratio (as ST:TNG did with their remaster), X-Files (and a lot of other shows, too, tbf) just had the top and bottom of the chopped off so the middle will fit in widescreen. From season five on, they were shooting with the expectation of moving to HD at some point, but in the early years they didn't even know if they would be getting more seasons, let alone upgraded presentation. Three and four apparently kind of a mixed bag, as they had wider footage to work from, but it wasn't meant for viewing and you apparently catch a lot of "intended to be just offscreen" stuff.

People seem to be okay with the actual picture quality, but as someone who seriously considered going into cinematography specifically because of X-Files, I'll be guarding the hell out of my DVD sets.

Hmm, I watched up to Season 3 on the HD remasters and didn't really have a major problem issues you mentioned. There were some issues with shots using CG effects as these have had to be cropped/zoomed, this affects a couple of sequences like the opening monologue of Little Green Men, but on the whole the show doesn't use VFX to the extent where this becomes a major problem (unlike, say, Babylon 5). There are also a few stock footage shots that are sourced from the original video edits as there's no HD source for them. On the whole I think they did a decent job - although like you I have kept hold of my DVD sets, because I want to remember how the series is supposed to look.

You only have to look at the Buffy HD remasters to see what an utterly ham-fisted disaster Fox made of those by comparison. Incorrect colour grading(scenes shot day-for-night now take place during the day), VFX overlays missing, horrible excessive DNR used to remove film grain on the early seasons, crew visible in shots where they've removed the 4:3 masking, it just goes on and on.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Nearing the end of season 11, so a question about the end of season 10: since 'My Struggle II' (the only previous episode I haven't seen) was effectively retconned into a dream/vision by 'My Struggle III', is there anything about it that makes it worth watching?

Also, I loved the very left-field, almost experimental episode with the pissed-off AI hassling Mulder and Scully for a tip, while my wife hated it. :haw:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Payndz posted:

Nearing the end of season 11, so a question about the end of season 10: since 'My Struggle II' (the only previous episode I haven't seen) was effectively retconned into a dream/vision by 'My Struggle III', is there anything about it that makes it worth watching?

Also, I loved the very left-field, almost experimental episode with the pissed-off AI hassling Mulder and Scully for a tip, while my wife hated it. :haw:

Completely ignore "My Struggle II", I'll also suggest that you avoid "My Struggle IV", despite the fact that it's the season (and most likely series) finale. It's just going to make you very, very angry when it ends.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Payndz posted:

I love this episode too. I remember it was very divisive on this forum as well. But to me, it's the only other truly good part of the revival outside the Darin Morgan episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Another thing I completely forgot about until this rewatch, when Doggett is investigating Mulder's disappearance we find out that apparently Mulder had a terminal brain disease and he cured it by allowing himself to be eaten and regurgitated by a Native American mythical creature called a Soul-Eater.

So when you throw that in with Scully's disease curing alien microchip, I think we can confidently say that Mulder and Scully are both immortal.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Season 11 watch: reached 'Familiar'.

My wife: "Nobody would ever let their kid watch a TV show that had something as creepy-looking as Mr Chuckleteeth."
Me: shows her a GIS of Mr Noseybonk (look him up. Or, er, don't), from popular 1980s BBC kids' show Jigsaw.
My wife: :stonk:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Payndz posted:

Me: shows her a GIS of Mr Noseybonk...from popular 1980s BBC kids' show Jigsaw.

the gently caress?

ok I just looked him up and what the gently caress.

why did they do this??

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

piratepilates posted:

the gently caress?

ok I just looked him up and what the gently caress.

why did they do this??
Sisko's quote in your avatar seems somehow appropriate.

Edit: I have a son the same age as Andrew from this episode, and holy loving poo poo was the opening utterly horrifying. Even without the terrifying clown character, it's every parent's worst nightmare. (Yet it also shows the changes in what's acceptable viewing over 20+ years. 'The Calusari', in which a small child was killed off-screen, earned the entire season boxset an 18-rating in the UK. This actually shows a child's corpse - two children, in fact! - and is rated 15.)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally reached 'My Struggle IV'. After being primed to expect that it was the worst thing ever and would retroactively poison my view of the entire show before it, I... didn't hate it? It just felt surprisingly inconsequential. Doing a small-scale finale is one thing if it's personal for the main characters, but despite everything that happened for/to Mulder and Scully, it didn't come across as the culmination of their story.

The flashback/forward/back structure was just complication for complication's sake, and way too much time was spent on people running back and forth (and up and down and round and round). C'mon, it's the end - don't blatantly pad it out!

Still, at least it was as happy an ending for Mulder and Scully as we were ever likely to get. They're alive, together, the world's been saved, they don't have to take any more poo poo from Kersch, and CSM is finally dead. For, er, the third? Fourth time? Also miracle baby outta nowhere to replace William.

Sucked for Skinner, though. :smith:

Anyway, godspeed, X-Files.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Still slooowly going through this and S2x13 episode Irresistible is so weirdly mundane. It feels more like a Law & Order episode than X-Files, it has no real supernatural elements, and it really plays up "Scully is super shaken up by a serial killer who hacks up bodies". But like....even at this point she's already seen the victims of Tooms, the victims of that leech monster man, the leech monster man himself. It's just so dissonant and underwhelming and the local sheriff who helps them plays it so flat. If 3 didn't exist it would be the worst episode of the season, easily.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just wait until you watch Hell Money.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Still slooowly going through this and S2x13 episode Irresistible is so weirdly mundane. It feels more like a Law & Order episode than X-Files, it has no real supernatural elements, and it really plays up "Scully is super shaken up by a serial killer who hacks up bodies". But like....even at this point she's already seen the victims of Tooms, the victims of that leech monster man, the leech monster man himself. It's just so dissonant and underwhelming and the local sheriff who helps them plays it so flat. If 3 didn't exist it would be the worst episode of the season, easily.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Irresistable loving sucked but Fresh bones is so goddamn good :shrug:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dean Norris in F Emasculata which I'm watching now. Calusari was a good if no frills episode. So far it's Irresistible that's the stinker of the season. It's even worse than the invisible rape episode!

Octy posted:

Just wait until you watch Hell Money.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The hell money episode doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't mean in a "this is what chinese people actually think or do" sort of way, I mean once that crowd of gamblers found out they were being cheated (and murdered as a consequence!) I can't imagine there would be any force in the universe capable of stopping them from ripping the organizers limb from limb. Also BD Wong did NOT deserve the fate he got, seeing as he at least had a change of heart, however late.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fresh Bones mention
'Fresh Bones' is one of those episodes that's generally considered middling at best (according to the numerous 'every X Files episode RANKED!' lists), but I genuinely love. That and 'Our Town' from the same season. I don't even know why - maybe the common factor of "Mulder and Scully rock up somewhere insular to investigate a crime and get in massively over their heads" strikes a horror chord somehow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's an our town alabama. I stayed far away because it is in Alabama

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As a bit of meta commentary, I love how this story essentially repeatedly calls Chris Carter full of poo poo

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files-chris-carter-season-12-unresolved-storylines/

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fresh Bones has the best scare in the series, bar none.

Speaking of BEST EVER EPISODES OF THE X-FILES DEFINITIVE DEFINITE TRUE RANKINGS Irresistible has always scored fairly highly, despite the lack of love for it in this thread.

I think it's fine, with a good guest performance from Nick Chinlund, but of the show's serial killer episodes, Aubrey from that season is already better.

They're both blatantly prototypes for Millennium, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My fiancée never really watched the show and I haven’t in a long time so we’ve spent all day jumping around to random episodes. I’ve basically been clicking on seasons and scrolling until I recognized an episode I love and hitting play. Plus reading through this thread. Goddamn I almost forgot how good this show is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of BEST EVER EPISODES OF THE X-FILES DEFINITIVE DEFINITE TRUE RANKINGS Irresistible has always scored fairly highly, despite the lack of love for it in this thread.

Oh man I'm gonna need some sources for this

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I dunno, I always liked it as an episode, but mostly for Nick Chinlund. The follow-up Orison sucked, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching the Stephen King written episode Chinga. What is up with Mulder being instantly like “no, haunted dolls are bullshit from movies”? It’s one of the most common tropes he should at least reference the Warrens even though they were full of poo poo

It also really feels like a story King wrote and then crammed Mulder and Scully into. They’re barely in the episode. Carter is also credited as a writer so maybe King just sent him an old short and he slid some X-Files into it where he could.

EDIT:
Holy poo poo I’ve somehow never seen Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man or saw it when I was young enough that I don’t remember it and this episode OWNS

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 19, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Unmature posted:

It also really feels like a story King wrote and then crammed Mulder and Scully into. They’re barely in the episode. Carter is also credited as a writer so maybe King just sent him an old short and he slid some X-Files into it where he could.

I may be misremembering this but I thought it was that they asked King to write an episode, he did but it wasn't very "X-Filesy", and then Carter had to rewrite a lot of it at the last minute to make it fit a bit better.

Still wish we had gotten the Tarantino-directed episode, speaking of big guest names.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Unmature posted:

Holy poo poo I’ve somehow never seen Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man or saw it when I was young enough that I don’t remember it and this episode OWNS
It's brilliant in that people were questioning why shadowy governments were rigging football games and sort of missed the joke that implies CSM is leading TLG on by writing elaborate fiction that feeds into their conspiracy yearnings.

But you're left to decide what is truth or fiction at the end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BogDew posted:

It's brilliant in that people were questioning why shadowy governments were rigging football games and sort of missed the joke that implies CSM is leading TLG on by writing elaborate fiction that feeds into their conspiracy yearnings.

But you're left to decide what is truth or fiction at the end.

I think it works with him just being a petty bureaucrat who wasted his life pointlessly rising in an organization at the cost of his true self. The part with him finally selling the story and finding out that the editors changed it all couldn’t have been in his manuscript, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just ordered a couple of the extended universe paperbacks. Any recommendations? Seems like they all might just be pretty standard tv show tie-in books but that’s good enough for me. Do any of them rise above that?