Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks people. I wasn't able to afford an Xbox at launch in 2013, so i got it a few months later in February 2014. What's the level of excitement like surrounding these new consoles compared with 2013?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you go by the playstation thread the only game released in last seven years was Bloodborne.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks people. I wasn't able to afford an Xbox at launch in 2013, so i got it a few months later in February 2014. What's the level of excitement like surrounding these new consoles compared with 2013?

It seems a lot lower IMO, I think launching in such awful worldwide circumstances has put a damper on things. Also so many of the new games are cross gen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barudak posted:

If you go by the playstation thread the only game released in last seven years was Bloodborne.

Well, the only one that mattered.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Either excitement is higher, or stock is lower and it's not clear exactly which, probably both? COVID has, obviously, given people reason to have a shiny new console at home.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
When I saw there were 110 posts when I woke up I thought maybe Microsoft really did buy Sega.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also can I get a quick confirmation - the Series X will play pretty much all Xbox One-era games from launch day, is that right?

One caveat that probably won't matter to you: Kinect is not supported so those games are unplayable.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zerot posted:

When I saw there were 110 posts when I woke up I thought maybe Microsoft really did buy Sega.

One caveat that probably won't matter to you: Kinect is not supported so those games are unplayable.

Kinect was a piece of poo poo that rarely worked for me, even with voice commands. The gesturing bollocks to navigate the UI etc. was just embarrassingly poorly implemented. I was glad when it died in a fire (in the marketplace, I didn't have a fire at home).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I only used my 360 Kinect to yell QUICKSAVE every 10 seconds when I played Skyrim.

It was pretty cool!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remember when I said don't aim products at me?

Oh yeah, I was deep in on the kinect

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the only cool kinect feature was when you called the tv a cheating motherfucker in fifa13 and you would get ingame sanctions against you for abusing match officials

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hear Alien Isolation with a Kinect was good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you know that microsoft gave refunds to people who bought xbox fitness stuff? I got a biiiiiig refund

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak, you got a problem.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I liked Dance Central a lot even though I am awful at it and I liked using voice commands for media playback. I did not like everyone in every multiplayer game having a mic on at all times.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Barudak posted:

Did you know that microsoft gave refunds to people who bought xbox fitness stuff? I got a biiiiiig refund

Are you one of these?
https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/12/certain-customers-spell-doom-for-new-products/

quote:

A recent paper in the Journal of Marketing Research has identified a group of customers whose support for a product is a “harbinger of failure,” a signal that the product will eventually flop. “Increased sales of a new product by some customers can actually be a strong signal of future failure,” researchers write. So who are these people?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I misread Barudak's post but it reminded me of Microsoft Rewards and somehow I have nearly 100,000 points there :confuoot: wow, $100 store credit or like 15 months Game Pass. And Bing isn't even that bad!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

ps+ since ps3 has obviously needed to do online validation but that validation lasts for a month.

Actually on every PlayStation console with digital downloads (PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4), the timer you get on PS+ games lasts until whenever your PS+ subscription expires at the time you activate the installation. The PS4 will check in periodically and refresh it if you extend your PS+ sub, and there are ways to force this refresh on the other consoles. I've had installations that didn't expire for like 2 years in the past. PS Now downloaded games give you a time limit of 14 days without checking in (or less if it'll expire sooner).

In fact if you have a game fully preloaded and take your PlayStation completely offline, it will still unlock and be playable when it releases when the unlock time rolls over (midnight or whatever), it doesn't have to pull a key from the server or anything like that.

I've heard that Xbox Ones do still have some form of internal timer and if your console is offline for a very long time it will eventually no longer work until you bring it online, which affects things like children's hospitals, but I don't know the specifics behind that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the PlayStation thread as mental as this one?

I managed to grab two Series X consoles, one for me on launch day from Amazon, one from Microsoft directly for my stepson for Christmas (which is arriving lauch day too). What's Microsoft's customer service like generally? Amazon's is pretty much second to none, but I'm just a bit worried if something goes wrong with the one from Microsoft it's a hassle to deal with.

Also can I get a quick confirmation - the Series X will play pretty much all Xbox One-era games from launch day, is that right?

The ps4 thread is unreadable

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Real hurthling! posted:

The ps4 thread is unreadable

The ps4 thread is a bit toxic at times and people shout a lot. This thread has just the enjoyable amount of insane, in a good way.

I don't know about the ps5 thread, maybe that one will be more fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had to pull the data sets for this for work and no, Im not one of these officially but for videogames yes, I would say I usually am.

Shirkelton posted:

Barudak, you got a problem.

Does it make it worse that I had some top leaderboard scores for some of the routines?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Does it make it worse that I had some top leaderboard scores for some of the routines?

From what I remember, that fitness thing was cool as hell, one of the few unfortunate casualties of Don Mattrick's professional murder.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

From what I remember, that fitness thing was cool as hell, one of the few unfortunate casualties of Don Mattrick's professional murder.

Apple's Fitness+ service is basically the same thing, just with a watch instead of a camera.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zerot posted:

Apple's Fitness+ service is basically the same thing, just with a watch instead of a camera.

If someone absolutely goblinoid little freak in the Xbox Palantir division isn't watching me get sweaty, what's the point.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

John F Bennett posted:

The ps4 thread is a bit toxic at times and people shout a lot. This thread has just the enjoyable amount of insane, in a good way.

I don't know about the ps5 thread, maybe that one will be more fun.

I liked the ps4 thread for the first year or so, then the weebs took over and shouted down anyone who talked about anything other than the same couple Japanese games over and over.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/sega_official/status/1294438674675851264?s=21

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Until Comcast stops with their forced dogshit bandwidth caps I'm nervous about getting any all digital console to be honest. The connection stability hasn't been great during the whole covid thing either, but probably good enough to handle check in junk. American internet loving sucks.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

uvar posted:

Climate refugee console comparison:
This thread was worth it for this post

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the level of excitement like surrounding these new consoles compared with 2013?

Xbox console excitement was not high back then (even I had to fake it). Xbox was HUGE and had an additional external power supply, it was the weaker console and the concentration on the TV passthrough and the kinect put basically everybody off. The launch games were decent though, I really liked dead rising 3, forza 5 was good, and you could play 60 player battlefield rather than 30 players on previous gen - so it was worth it for that game alone. The PS4 looked a lot nicer, smaller design with the power supply included inside the console. It was more powerful but the launch games weren’t as interesting to me. Knack is awful (don’t let anyone tell you otherwise), infamous second son and killzone looked nice but were average. Resogun was the best title at launch IMO, an indie game that came for free with ps+.

It’s kind of the opposite this time. The PS5 is GIGANTIC and disgustingly ugly (even compared to an original Xbox one) and it’s also supposedly weaker than Xbox series X - but It does have the only next gen launch title I actually want to play in Demons souls remake.

The one major benefit of this launch VS last time is the Xbox is completely backwards compatible (with benefits like higher resolutions/ quicker loading times) and with games pass you will have a ton of great games you’ve never played. With PS5 you get a selection of some of the best PS4 titles with PS+ for free too.

The Bethesda announcement has put a bit of a dampener on PS5s vibe I think, but I’d say overall excitement is higher this time than last time due to the backwards compatibility and the Xbox actually looking good. Overall the launch line ups aren’t massively inspiring.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the level of excitement like surrounding these new consoles compared with 2013?

I didn't care at all about either the PS4 or Bone in 2013 but knew that I would end up buying a PS4 later on but probably never the Bone. Indeed, I got the PS4 with BB and that was it.

This time I'm pretty sure I'll end up with both, already pre-ordered the PS5 but since the Xbox is back at being the better console I'll probably get one sooner or later. Depends on how large the difference in crossplat games is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im willing to say all of you reading tea leaves are absolutely cuckoo banana bread crazy and simultaneously that if it happens I will be super excited to have my eventual PC with gamepass to have access to 47 different games with Total War in the title.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Crafty posted:

The one major benefit of this launch VS last time is the Xbox is completely backwards compatible (with benefits like higher resolutions/ quicker loading times)

With PS5 you get a selection of some of the best PS4 titles with PS+ for free too.

The PS5 disc edition is also completely backwards compatible but only with PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Storm One posted:

The PS5 disc edition is also completely backwards compatible but only with PS4.

The no disc one is too unless by "completely" u mean disc and digital

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

Im willing to say all of you reading tea leaves are absolutely cuckoo banana bread crazy and simultaneously that if it happens I will be super excited to have my eventual PC with gamepass to have access to 47 different games with Total War in the title.

No, you see, there's a black spoon representing the Series X and the white spoon represents Series S. This is basically 10000% confirmed at this point.

(At most it's a Game Pass deal but this is my favorite thing happening in the world right now so I'm just rolling with it)

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Backwards compatability is definitely a nice feature for both consoles to launch with. Will help with the inevitable new generation drought. I hope PS5 owners say a prayer of thanks to Phil Spencer for forcing Sonys hand here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crafty posted:

Backwards compatability is definitely a nice feature for both consoles to launch with. Will help with the inevitable new generation drought. I hope PS5 owners say a prayer of thanks to Phil Spencer for forcing Sonys hand here.

It’s the reason I’m getting a PS5 first tbh. I didn’t get the PS4 pro I got a one X.

I’ll get the series X eventually though.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the PlayStation thread as mental as this one?

I managed to grab two Series X consoles, one for me on launch day from Amazon, one from Microsoft directly for my stepson for Christmas (which is arriving lauch day too). What's Microsoft's customer service like generally? Amazon's is pretty much second to none, but I'm just a bit worried if something goes wrong with the one from Microsoft it's a hassle to deal with.

I’ve had a red ringed 360 and a launch day Xbox One that I had ordered from their store and which turned out to be defective pretty quickly after it arrived. Dealing with them was no problem and not particularly slow, unpleasant or anything.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Can you imagine what paperweights these would be without back compat

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

The no disc one is too unless by "completely" u mean disc and digital

Yes, that's it. The no dics PS5 obviously can't play PS4 discs so one would have to buy the game again at the PSN store despite having already payed for the disc version.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

tbf at least there's one whole game I'm interested in this time, unlike in 2013, though it can be argued it's sorta "back compat" too

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zerot posted:

No, you see, there's a black spoon representing the Series X and the white spoon represents Series S. This is basically 10000% confirmed at this point.

(At most it's a Game Pass deal but this is my favorite thing happening in the world right now so I'm just rolling with it)

Now that xbox posted the "the Series S was in the background all along!" Tweet... This poo poo will never end. It's like a Nick Jr. QAnon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah it's pretty shameful. I mean you've got Demon's Souls on the PS5 side but that's not a very long game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Mischievous Mink posted:

Until Comcast stops with their forced dogshit bandwidth caps I'm nervous about getting any all digital console to be honest. The connection stability hasn't been great during the whole covid thing either, but probably good enough to handle check in junk. American internet loving sucks.

Comcast gives me 1.2TB's a month, how much do they give you?