Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I've been trying to stay positive and hope that they have a solution for storage this generation, but I'm becoming a little more worried as we get closer to release.

Some install sizes have been revealed, and it's looking like we're getting 50GB-ish plus for a AAA game. The 825GB SSD will get chewed up pretty quickly at that rate! (Rest In Peace COD players)

My solution to that for the PS4 was a relatively cheap 4TB HDD, but that is of course not an option here as a HDD won't be fast enough to run games, and a 4TB external SSD would cost about as much as the system.

I'm still looking forward to the new system but not looking forward to the potential game juggling.

Part of the hopes of the SSD being mandatory is that games can cut down on all the unecessary data duplication they do in order to be fast on platter discs 0 like uncompressed audio (which also might be changed by the new audio processor).

I hope this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VideoGames posted:

Part of the hopes of the SSD being mandatory is that games can cut down on all the unecessary data duplication they do in order to be fast on platter discs 0 like uncompressed audio (which also might be changed by the new audio processor).

I hope this is the case.

The Spider-Man Remaster is ten or fifteen gigs smaller than the PS4 game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

:getin: my hopes are being realised!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Practically speaking I only need the thing to be able to hold 7-8 games on it at the most. Ive never had space issues with my 500gb ps4, I think the ps5 hd has more than enough space

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Part of the hopes of the SSD being mandatory is that games can cut down on all the unecessary data duplication they do in order to be fast on platter discs

The savings from lack of duplication will be mostly eaten and then some by higher quality assets if games target 4K.

Juggling is not so bad compared to re-downloading or installing from optical; if these consoles let you conveniently transfer game packages to an external HDD and back again then it's a solved problem as far as I'm concerned, even USB2 speeds are an order of magnitude faster than downloading. And the slowness in the PS4 installs was not from downloading only, but also defragmenting the game package in the HDD, that is totally gone with the PS5.

I'd place more hope in the SSbox's smaller RAM pool restraining developers' urge to baloon their assets than the SSD. AAA titles are all but guaranteed to have 4K quality assets for XSX and PS5 and reduced quality versions for the SS but hopefully lower budget games might be forced to cater for the series S and leave it at that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I've been trying to stay positive and hope that they have a solution for storage this generation, but I'm becoming a little more worried as we get closer to release.

Some install sizes have been revealed, and it's looking like we're getting 50GB-ish plus for a AAA game. The 825GB SSD will get chewed up pretty quickly at that rate! (Rest In Peace COD players)

My solution to that for the PS4 was a relatively cheap 4TB HDD, but that is of course not an option here as a HDD won't be fast enough to run games, and a 4TB external SSD would cost about as much as the system.

I'm still looking forward to the new system but not looking forward to the potential game juggling.

Reminder that you can use an external hard drive to keep/play ps4 games off on and a regular external hard drive can keep ps5 games in archive mode. They just have to be moved back to internal storage to run.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

a regular external hard drive can keep ps5 games in archive mode. They just have to be moved back to internal storage to run.

Sweet, is this actually confirmed then? No internet checks required, just move back and forth?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to buying the Sony Playstation 5 in 2022.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shirkelton posted:

It's a weird case though. Yes, it's smaller if you do the obvious calculation, but it's probably sharing assets with Miles Morales because (as I understand it) you can't install it separately, so you can't just subtract the lone install of Miles Morales to get the size of the original game with the DLCs. So I don't think it's a good test case.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It is a separate download code, why do you think you can't install it independently?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shirkelton posted:

It is a separate download code, why do you think you can't install it independently?

I swear I read that somewhere! I'm probably just wrong then!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You could be right, I just have seen that it's a downloadable code included, so I don't know why it would be the same SKU.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Do we know yet if the 825 GB means 825 GB usable storage space? If not it seems kind of an odd size for a drive.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Nail Rat you heathen I posted this on the discord last week.

12 channel,512Gib Nand Chip / channel

512 x 12 = 6,144 Gib = 768 GiB = 824.633720832‬ GB = 825GB

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for anyone playing COD

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Sorry this post better explained it with more than just numbers.

Sony's SSD has twelve lanes and uses twelve flash chips (one per lane) if I recall correctly. Normally SSDs use 16 chips with fewer lanes. Each chip that Sony is using is presumably 512 Gib (Gibi bits, not giga bits) as is presumably Microsoft. Gibi is a multiple of 1024 whereas Giga is a multiple of 1000. Thus you have 1024 bits × 1024 kilobits × 1024 megabits in a gigabit. Multiply that by 512 Gigabits × 12 chips and then divide by 8 to convert from bits to bytes. This gives you a not unusual 768 GiB (gibi bytes) but ~825 GB (giga bytes).

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

So to answer Nail Rat's question, I would assume based on those calculations that 825GB does not mean 825GB of usable storage space, if the OS and other required stuff is put onto that same storage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In PS+ can you register a new title of the month they put in there without actually downloading it?

My understanding is you have it and can redownload forever as long as you are a subscriber but it is only available for initial download to the end of the month.
Or is it automatic if you are a subscriber?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
You claim them each month to put in your library and can then download them when you please as long as you are subscribed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In PS+ can you register a new title of the month they put in there without actually downloading it?

My understanding is you have it and can redownload forever as long as you are a subscriber but it is only available for initial download to the end of the month.

Yes. You just go into the store to get the licence buy clicking add to library on the PS+ game page. You then have access to it whenever you have an active PS+ subscription. No need to actually download it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yes, just "purchase" the free game on PSN store (either on PS4 or on your computer web browser) and you don't have to download it. The game will be available on your account as long as you're an active subscriber, and will be available again if your subscription lapses and then you reactivate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm assuming there's still no word of controller battery life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CottonWolf posted:

Yes. You just go into the store to get the licence buy clicking add to library on the PS+ game page. You then have access to it whenever you have an active PS+ subscription. No need to actually download it.

Ah good, thanks

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rad Valtar posted:

Whoops, I'm sorry, I missed that there.

So I'm guessing usable is gonna be more like 700 GB then.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not as of yet.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Detective No. 27 posted:

gonna have to wait for real public use for that kinda info

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also it will invariably be a lot less than reviewers report, and it will be a lot less than *that* a month or so later.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I’m gonna just get all the accessories at launch and a second controller in the hopes that I end up like all the goons who’s bought in at PS4 launch and are still rolling with their launch model on their first controller.

Something about seeing that low battery warning and just swapping paddles seems really luxurious to me, an adult with very specific values.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Question. The TV I’m getting supports HDMI 2.1 and VRR and all that poo poo and I guess so does the PS5. Should I go ahead and pick up a corresponding cable? If so, what’s a good brand or whatever, or does it even matter and I should just find one for cheap?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m gonna play my ps5 on my 7 year old non-HDR 1080p tv unless it breaks and then I’m gonna buy whatever 55” tv is cheapest because that’s what fits in the space on my tv stand.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

man nurse posted:

Question. The TV I’m getting supports HDMI 2.1 and VRR and all that poo poo and I guess so does the PS5. Should I go ahead and pick up a corresponding cable? If so, what’s a good brand or whatever, or does it even matter and I should just find one for cheap?

It doesn't really matter, just hit monoprice and buy whatever it says is HDMI 2.1 capable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So is Sony just done selling PlayStation 5s? No more systems are going to be made, just that first pre-order batch last week was it?

Yes, I am being hyperbolic here, just frustrated that Sony continues to royally gently caress up getting more systems available for pre-order. I wish they would stop making announcements about this that they cant confirm are going to be true or not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

So is Sony just done selling PlayStation 5s? No more systems are going to be made, just that first pre-order batch last week was it?

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1307364082341740544

:confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what i'm referring to, its been 5 days since that tweet and there hasnt been a single new batch of pre-orders.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

It doesn't really matter, just hit monoprice and buy whatever it says is HDMI 2.1 capable

Yeah this or Cable Matters ones from Amazon.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

man nurse posted:

Good read:

quote:

When You Do NOT Need a New HDMI Cable, Summarized:

Before we finally get to the issue of when you do need a new HDMI cable, let's review. These are the three important points above:

(1) You do NOT need a new HDMI cable simply because your gear supports a new version of the HDMI spec. If you see something advertised as an "HDMI 1.4 cable," "HDMI 2.0 cable," or "HDMI 2.1 cable," this is dishonesty, pure and simple.

(2) You do NOT need a new HDMI cable because your gear supports some new feature or protocol, with the (very unlikely) exception of Ethernet over HDMI. If you see a cable advertised as supporting some new standard or other for digital audio or some such thing, that claim isn't "false," but it's misleading and meaningless -- your existing HDMI cable supports that, too.

(3) You do NOT need a new HDMI cable because the new cable makes some claim about stated bandwidth. The only need (and maybe not a need, as we'll discuss) is for a "high-speed" Category 2 cable if your signal will exceed Category 1 bandwidth limits, and you can identify that cable very easily: does it say "High Speed HDMI Cable" on the box? If it does, you're good. Other claims of bandwidth are meaningless. (There will also be a new tier of cables, for HDMI 2.1 Category 3, but we don't yet know how those will be labeled or when the first will hit the market).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

man nurse posted:

Unfortunately, different cables are rated for different bandwidths, and not all manufacturers list the rated bandwidth. Since your TV and the PS5 will both support 4K at 120hz, you are going to want a cable rated for HDMI 2.1's full 48Gbps bandwidth.

There is a chance your old cables might not be able to handle this bandwidth. Luckily, new cables are cheap and most listings will state their bandwidth right in the listing title.

You don't need to worry about name brands or whatever. Just get whatever cable is cheap and is rated for 48Gbps.

FWIW, the article posted above was from before HDMI 2.1 became a thing. There now exists a third category of cable rating for 48Gbps cables (previously there only existed standard and high speed cables, which high speed being rated for 10Gbps).

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 23, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Unfortunately, different cables are rated for different bandwidths, and not all manufacturers list the rated bandwidth. Since your TV and the PS5 will both support 4K at 120hz, you are going to want a cable rated for HDMI 2.1's full 48Gbps bandwidth.

There is a chance your old cables might not be able to handle this bandwidth. Luckily, new cables are cheap and most listings will state their bandwidth right in the listing title.

Yeah this.

The old cable might work and then again it might not. It’s cheap enough to just get a new one and not have to worry about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

man nurse posted:

Wait surely the console comes with one doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wait surely the console comes with one doesn't it?

It will