Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'll only buy Akira if it's got that 80s ninja turtle-sounding dub where they keep screaming their names at each other.

The current blu-ray has that dub as one of the audio tracks you can select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I just found this thread today and am hoping some goons can help me.

I have a bunch of UK DVDs that I usually play with a laptop, and a Region B Blu-Ray I just bought that I would like to play. I just noticed last night that my PS4 only plays Region A.

Can anyone recommend a regionless DVD/Blu-ray player that works well, or a Euro player that works on 120V/60Hz?

I’ve been on Amazon and the comments aren’t very inspiring.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
220 Electronics has a really good selection of region-free blu-ray/dvd players, that's where I got mine: https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Almost Blue posted:

220 Electronics has a really good selection of region-free blu-ray/dvd players, that's where I got mine: https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

Awesome, I’ll have a look. I really didn’t want to take a chance on one that can be converted, and find out it can’t. Or spend £30 on shipping trying to buy a Euro version.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had a small Amazon gift card to burn so I bought the old 8-movie Friday the 13th set since I don’t like the movies enough to spend the $$$ on that new set. I am dying laughing at how incredibly dumb and obvious every single 3D effect is in Part 3. It’s like if someone made a movie entirely out of Fozzie’s cheap gags in MuppetVision 3D.

It’s honestly kinda endearing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, I'd pay top dollar for a copy of Muppetvision 3D, though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had a small Amazon gift card to burn so I bought the old 8-movie Friday the 13th set since I don’t like the movies enough to spend the $$$ on that new set. I am dying laughing at how incredibly dumb and obvious every single 3D effect is in Part 3. It’s like if someone made a movie entirely out of Fozzie’s cheap gags in MuppetVision 3D.

It’s honestly kinda endearing.

My favorite is the baseball bat that just hovers in front of your nose for like five seconds as the hero teens park their van.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Splint Chesthair posted:

My favorite is the baseball bat that just hovers in front of your nose for like five seconds as the hero teens park their van.

I still have half the movie to go, but the current MVP is the overhead shot of the two idiot kids having a juggling contest for no reason, followed by the yo-yo scene that goes on for what feels like five minutes.

ed: also the one girl just handing a joint to the camera for like ten seconds

ed 2: Ok now it’s the hippie making popcorn. I think I love this movie.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 20, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really wanna see Jaws 3-D in 3-D someday. Not quite enough to buy a 3D TV and player but who knows.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The 8-disc set has Part 3D with the original anaglyph 3D version right? I was bummed that they didn't include the anaglyph version with the new set, it's just the non-3D plus a 3D blu ray version that requires a 3D player, 3D-ready TV and glasses.

I have pretty much everything I need to watch the 3D version though, I think. Don't you basically just need a 3D blu ray player (have), 3D-ready TV (have), glasses (don't have) and high speed HDMI (don't have)? I'm also not 100% sure which HDMI port to use for 3D or if you can use 3D with an HDMI switch.

vv Well I have a HMD, but not a blu ray drive for my PC :doh:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 20, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've watched a 3D Blu Ray (Creature from the Black Lagoon) on a PSVR headset and it worked great. I assume there's ways to do that on PC VR setups too. That almost seems like a more accessible way to watch them these days than having a 3D TV.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, I'd pay top dollar for a copy of Muppetvision 3D, though.

Not unlike the two 3-D Rarities Blu-rays (from Flicker Alley), I'd jump for a disc of just theme park, expo, world's fair films that aren't shown anymore.

Just with Disney, there's that, Captain EO, original Star Tours, the Circle-Vision films, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and others.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Not unlike the two 3-D Rarities Blu-rays (from Flicker Alley), I'd jump for a disc of just theme park, expo, world's fair films that aren't shown anymore.

Just with Disney, there's that, Captain EO, original Star Tours, the Circle-Vision films, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and others.

Extremely :same:, although MuppetVision still exists in the WDW park (for now).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

Golden Dreams over in California Adventure was a real howler about equality and no matter what your background is, you can make it in America.

Except those Chinese railroad workers, which they kill explode with dynamite in the movie. Those guys get loving merked.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 21, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't that also have Whoopi Goldberg in it?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Roth posted:

Didn't that also have Whoopi Goldberg in it?
I believe the giant banner with Whoopi's face on it was on the opposite side of the building and there were, like, two giant Whoopi statues (that had Whoopi's live action face projected onto them) on both sides of the screen.

Also a real good montage at the end that featured footage of things like kids in the special olympics crossing the finish line with a white hand and a black hand shaking superimposed over it.

I miss it very much.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
In less than a year, they release the Beverly Hills Cop movies on BluRay in January and now are releasing the first on 4K in December.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

In less than a year, they release the Beverly Hills Cop movies on BluRay in January and now are releasing the first on 4K in December.

gently caress that poo poo. Call me when part III is on 4K. Bronson Pinochot doing whatever the gently caress vague European stereotype thing again AND a George Lucas cameo? It doesn't get better than that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
BHC II is a good looking movie - much moreso than the original. That's the one I'd really like to see in 4K

RIP Tony Scott

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TheScott2K posted:

RIP Tony Scott
Wrong kid died.

(Domino is a masterpiece)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you missed out, apparently Amazon is getting a pile of copies of Scream's out-of-print Manhunter Blu-ray on the 26th.

EDIT: gone.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 22, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would rather have Beverley Hills Ninja on 4K

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:sickos:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

waiting on Neon Demon and Only God Forgives 4K. If buying Drive helps me get there, so be it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I still need to see Neon Demon but I like Only God Forgives.

Also, when is it coming out? Not finding any news or press release about it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

No clean what

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why is every company that releases movies allergic to covers that don't look like absolute trash. That looks like one of those lovely airbrush t-shirts people use to sell at flea markets.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
that cover loving blows lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You mean the movie isn't about that time Commissioner Gordon's car melted while he was trying not to hit that mannequin someone got ketchup on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NOoOo CLEAN

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FMJ 4K looks loving great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least that lazy-rear end trend toward minimalism in covers is over. I think I even prefer actor face collages to the cover of the Matrix just being a duracell on a white background or whatever.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Peter Stormare? And what the hell is on his face?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

At least that lazy-rear end trend toward minimalism in covers is over. I think I even prefer actor face collages to the cover of the Matrix just being a duracell on a white background or whatever.

I honestly miss that trend because it was just a competition for pathetic nerds to try and be as esoteric as possible.

Like, imagine if those dopes had any say. Some normal person is browsing the DVD section at Walmart and sees the cover of The Big Lebowski and passes over it because they don't want to see some lovely rug movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So let’s say I bought a DVD not realizing it’s Region 4, how do I play this thing on a Blu-ray player?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

So let’s say I bought a DVD not realizing it’s Region 4, how do I play this thing on a Blu-ray player?

Your player might be equipped to play any region of DVD without any extra hassle. Test it first and go from there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

My region free Blu-ray player doesn't make you do anything special for DVDs (unlike BDs where you have to select the region first). You just pop it in and go.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

My region free Blu-ray player doesn't make you do anything special for DVDs (unlike BDs where you have to select the region first). You just pop it in and go.

:same:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also sometimes things have a region stamp when ehhh they never bothered putting the encoding on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also sometimes things have a region stamp when ehhh they never bothered putting the encoding on.

I know arrow does this a lot, I got a blu of One Cut of the Dead from them that had a r2 badge but played fine in my American ps4.