Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Edinburgh fluff another knock out game, though Darcy Graham's efforts to put Hoyland away for a try were amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh fluff another knock out game, though Darcy Graham's efforts to put Hoyland away for a try were amazing.

Leinster are doing the same at the moment. What is it about the Pro14 ?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

No idea, Leinster have walked through every team this year so they're totally undercooked for a side like Saracens.

Sarries resting players last week while Leinster played a final probably not helping either.

Edinburgh just lack self belief and kill themselves with really stupid errors.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 19, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

No idea, Leinster have walked through every team this year so they're totally undercooked for a side like Saracens.

Sarries resting players last week while Leinster played a final probably not helping either.

Edinburgh just lack self belief and kill themselves with really stupid errors.

Leinster are struggling to get back into the game at the moment.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

At least they're making a game of it. Might be a tight finish.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Saracens were worth the win in the end.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, can't give a side like that such a big lead.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Poite's constant coughing coming through on the mic. :staredog:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Poite's constant coughing coming through on the mic. :staredog:

Yeah if Racing can't field a side next match then people will know who to blame.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Yeah if Racing can't field a side next match then people will know who to blame.

Leicester - Castre game already cancelled too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Leicester - Castre game already cancelled too.

How are the French games handling fans?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

How are the French games handling fans?

I think it's 5000 at the Clermont game, 1000 at the Bordeaux game. I think it depends on the stadium size but seem to be pretty well spaced out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

I think it's 5000 at the Clermont game, 1000 at the Bordeaux game. I think it depends on the stadium size but seem to be pretty well spaced out.

At least they're doing that. Are they changing venue for the Leicester/Castres game do you know?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

At least they're doing that. Are they changing venue for the Leicester/Castres game do you know?

Game is cancelled with Castre forfeiting after too many players were testing positive for COVID.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Game is cancelled with Castre forfeiting after too many players were testing positive for COVID.

Do you know what, I just remembered that's what happened and came to edit my post. That decision was for the best.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, absolutely. It's just not worth the risk and I'm glad people are being sensible about it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Be interesting to see how it effects next season.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pro14 nominally starts in a couple of weeks assuming we don't have another lockdown so we're going to see if anyone has learned anything soon. I suspect a few games will have to be postponed or cancelled through the year though.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Goon Player Of The Year 2016 James Davies has used the £1000 that Rhys Priestland owed him, to launch an exciting business venture.

James Davies has invented a suitcase for dogs.

https://www.mycubbycase.com/our-story

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My god. He could make millions.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

How long before the WRU demand a share?

In other news, rugby union in totally corrupt shocker, Bernard Laporte of the FRU has been brought in for questioning after pressuring the appeals board to reduce Montpelier's fine for financial misconduct.

https://apnews.com/aa6598a93ef04048a68c798b3e9f7c2d

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Celtic League is going to restart with two week's notice.

Is it worth making a larger effort post? This seems like it'll be a trainwreck of amazing proportions.

-

The 2020 Guinness Pro 14 13 12 17
"gently caress this, we're going to wing it"

The competition is once again a single division, made up of 12 teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy, who will all play against each other once. The concept of "Home" or "Away" games is a moot point, because most teams leased their stadiums to the NHS, and can't get them back in time.

Most games now take place on Sunday and Monday evenings. Most seem to think that this is so soccer stadiums can be used to host matches, and can be deep cleaned and left sterile for 24 hours, before being used on Monday. It may also be a time zone thing, to appease our new South African overlords.

In Stage 2 (December), any teams who are contractually obliged by TV deals to play additional derby matches will play each other, to earn Mega Bucks. Nobody's worked out yet whether these games will count towards league points, or if they'll have spectators.

In Stage 3 (January), The Natal Sharks, Vodacom Bulls, DHL Stormers, Free State Cheetahs and Emirates Lions will join the league. All of the European teams will play against them once (?) or twice (?) in countries that haven't been decided yet.

Stage 4 will be some sort of play-off system. Will the South African teams be eligable to qualify for this, after winning all 11 of their matches? Will they carry over points from their own Aotearoa? Can they qualify for the Heineken Cup? Who the gently caress knows? Let's just play rugby, and work it out later!

All kick-off times are subject to change. Broadcasters are subject to change. Venues are not only subject to change, but haven't even been negotiated yet. Expect every match to take place at either Parc Y Scarlets, Rodney Parade, Scotstoun or The WWE Thunderdome.

Friday, 2 October
Zebre v Cardiff Blues, Stadio Lanfranchi, 18:00 BST
Ulster v Benetton, Kingspan Stadium, 20:15 BST
Leinster v Dragons, RDS Arena, 20:15 BST

Saturday, 3 October
Scarlets v Munster, Parc y Scarlets, 15:00 BST
Connacht v Glasgow, The Sportsground, 17:15 BST
Edinburgh v Ospreys, BT Murrayfield, 19:35 BST

Friday, 9 October
Dragons v Zebre, Rodney Parade, 20:15 BST

Saturday, 10 October
Benetton v Leinster, Stadio Monigo, 17:15 BST
Ospreys v Ulster, Liberty Stadium, 17:15 BST
Munster v Edinburgh, Thomond Park, 19:35 BST
Cardiff Blues v Connacht, tbc, 19:35 BST

Sunday, 11 October
Glasgow v Scarlets, Scotstoun, 17:15 BST

Friday, 23 October
Leinster v Zebre, RDS Arena, 19:35 BST
Benetton v Scarlets, Stadio Monigo, 20:15 BST

Saturday, 24 October
Ospreys v Glasgow, Liberty Stadium, 17:30 BST
Sunday, 25 October
Ulster v Dragons, Kingspan Stadium, 15:00 BST
Edinburgh v Connacht, BT Murrayfield, 19:35 BST

Monday, 26 October
Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park, 20:15 BST

Sunday, 1 November
Dragons v Munster, Rodney Parade, 14:00 GMT
Connacht v Benetton, The Sportsground, 16:30 GMT
Scarlets v Edinburgh, Parc y Scarlets, 18:45 GMT

Monday, 2 November
Cardiff Blues v Ulster, tbc, 18:00 GMT
Zebre v Ospreys, Stadio Lanfranchi, 19:15 GMT
Glasgow v Leinster, Scotstoun, 20:15 GMT

Round five
Saturday, 7 November
Benetton v Munster, Stadio Monigo, 14:00 GMT
Dragons v Connacht, Rodney Parade, 17:15 GMT

Sunday, 8 November
Ospreys v Leinster, Liberty Stadium, 15:00 GMT
Scarlets v Zebre, Parc y Scarlets, 17:15 GMT

Monday, 9 November
Edinburgh v Cardiff Blues, BT Murrayfield, 20:15 GMT
Ulster v Glasgow, Kingspan Stadium, 20:15 GMT

Saturday, 14 November
Connacht v Scarlets, The Sportsground, 19:35 GMT

Sunday, 15 November
Munster v Ospreys, Thomond Park, 14:45 GMT
Glasgow v Dragons, Scotstoun, 18:30 GMT

Monday, 16 November
Zebre v Ulster, Stadio Lanfranchi, 18:00 GMT
Cardiff Blues v Benetton, tbc, 20:15 GMT
Leinster v Edinburgh, RDS Arena, 20:15 GMT

Sunday, 22 November
Zebre v Connacht, Stadio Lanfranchi, 14:30 GMT
Ospreys v Benetton, Liberty Stadium, 15:00 GMT
Leinster v Cardiff Blues, RDS Arena, 17:15 GMT
Ulster v Scarlets, Kingspan Stadium, 19:35 GMT

Monday, 23 November
Dragons v Edinburgh, Rodney Parade, 18:00 GMT
Glasgow v Munster, Scotstoun, 20:15 GMT

Saturday, 28 November
Connacht v Ospreys, The Sportsground, 19:35 GMT

Sunday, 29 November
Scarlets v Leinster, Parc y Scarlets, 17:15 GMT
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow, tbc, 19:35 GMT

Monday, 30 November
Benetton v Dragons, Stadio Monigo, 18:00 GMT
Munster v Zebre, Thomond Park, 20:15 GMT
Edinburgh v Ulster, BT Murrayfield, 20:15 GMT.

December 26/27
Connacht v Ulster
Munster v Leinster
Zebre v Benetton
Glasgow v Edinburgh
Dragons v Cardiff Blues
Ospreys v Scarlets

January 2/3, 2021
Leinster v Connacht
Ulster v Munster
Benneton v Zebre
Edinburgh v Glasgow
Cardiff Blues v Ospreys
Scarlets v Dragons

January 9/10
Connacht v Munster
Leinster v Ulster
Zebre v Edinburgh
Glasgow v Benetton
Cardiff Blues v Scarlets
Dragons v Ospreys

Tyma fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 23, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a bit of a cluster, innit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

quote:

Leinster v Dragons, RDS Arena, 20:15 BST

Can't wait, just buzzing about the prospect of the kicking the Dragons will get.

Blues might be down Rodney again.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 23, 2020

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bessantj posted:

Can't wait, just buzzing about the prospect of the kicking the Dragons will get.

I hope they get kicked so hard, that the hamster running The Dragons online store finally wakes up, and I can finally buy a years' worth of VX3 shorts for £3 each >_<

bessantj posted:

Blues might be down Rodney again.

I assume that Blues play at Rodney Parade, and The Ospreys play at either St Helens or Parc y Scarlets. Their pre-season games are being played at PYS.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

I assume that Blues play at Rodney Parade, and The Ospreys play at either St Helens or Parc y Scarlets. Their pre-season games are being played at PYS.

It's nice to see Welsh rugby teams helping each other out.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bessantj posted:

It's nice to see Welsh rugby teams helping each other out.

Both teams donated all of their unsold 2020 merchandise and unused training gear to amateur teams, and sent out free face masks to disabled supporters registered in both regions. I can't believe we're only a year removed from the two regions stubbornly refusing to merge into a Saracens-esque super team.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

What a mess.

At this stage I'm just looking forward to Glasgow fans weird QAnon style conspiracy theories about how the SRU hate them when they get pumped by Zebre or something.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

Both teams donated all of their unsold 2020 merchandise and unused training gear to amateur teams, and sent out free face masks to disabled supporters registered in both regions. I can't believe we're only a year removed from the two regions stubbornly refusing to merge into a Saracens-esque super team.

These are interesting times. Which is more than can be said for the rugby.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I knew things were going to be different but :psyduck:

Anyone planning/attempting to go to games? Ulster were selling a £60 fan membership that gets you entered into a raffle that allows you to buy a ticket, season ticket holders got partial refunds for last season and were gently encouraged to use the credit on the membership instead of any new tickets - I've held off so far but I'd love to get back :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bath were supposed to be trialling fans at the game last night but it got called off on six hours notice. I do not think there is any chance I will be able to attend a sporting event for six months.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Gloucester let 1000 people in to the quins game a couple of weeks back but ticket priority was given to the people who are members of the VIP club and season ticket holders who waived the chance of a pro-rata refund, of which I am neither.

And since the rules have recently tightened I'm assuming there will be even fewer games where they let people in in the near future.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I renewed my Glasgow season ticket at a reduced rate.

The first game is behind closed doors, but they might have something in place for November.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I signed up for the SRU membership and let Edinburgh keep the money from my ticket, mostly because I suspect that everything is up in the air and I'd rather see rugby in Scotland survive at some level rather than worry about physically going to games.

Hopefully there will be some scope for fans at Murrayfield because it's so big so social distancing is possible but if not, such is life in these weird COVID times.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I knew things were going to be different but :psyduck:

The weirdest change is going to be whatever the gently caress the kits look like. I'm hope everyone has something along the lines of that horrific Scarlets shirt with 20 different obscure local sponsors on it, rather than everyone shirt just saying "DIOLCH NHS".

Vaders Jester posted:

I signed up for the SRU membership and let Edinburgh keep the money from my ticket, mostly because I suspect that everything is up in the air and I'd rather see rugby in Scotland survive at some level rather than worry about physically going to games.

I have a match against Stirling County in February, and the WRU and SRU both think it's still on track, so you'll at least be able to watch -some- rugby, even if it's just me getting hammered by Scottish props who haven't tackled anyone in 12 months.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I go to uni up in Stirling just now so if it's on, I'll come along as a witness.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

:siren: Terrible Kits Sponsored By Local Gas Stations And Pubs Are Finally Here :siren:

Meanwhile, Zebre have gone with the interesting strategy of not having ANY sponsors, but producing two kits that are so loving cool that every rugby fan will buy both.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I prefer the black one. It pops more.

Odd to see Doom Bar (slightly askew?) sponsoring a Welsh team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mmm, a legend is born.