Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Kvlt! posted:

also for my first October Challenge I want my theme to be "recommended by my friends" so if you have a recommendation for a movie you think I'd like or want me to check out/hear my thoughts on feel free to post it here or PM me and I will add it to the list for my challenge

The Abominable Doctor Phibes is my recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I SEEN IT. But havent in a while so it will be #1.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

also for my first October Challenge I want my theme to be "recommended by my friends" so if you have a recommendation for a movie you think I'd like or want me to check out/hear my thoughts on feel free to post it here or PM me and I will add it to the list for my challenge

Bag
Boy
Lover
Boy

edit-- I can't remember if you've seen The Golden Glove

edit2-- oh, definitely Splatter: Naked Blood was fantastic

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

does The Strange Thing About The Johnsons count as horror?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Yes, I'd say so; but it's a short film, if you're asking for the challenge.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

No. It's just gross but not a horror movie.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Bag
Boy
Lover
Boy

edit-- I can't remember if you've seen The Golden Glove

edit2-- oh, definitely Splatter: Naked Blood was fantastic

Seen GG but adding BBLB and SNB to the list

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fran do Kaiju movies count towards the challenge?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Fran do Kaiju movies count towards the challenge?

Yes. Burkion and M_Sinistrari and other have logged a bunch of them over the years.

edit: Why do I feel like there is a movie I've cajoled you to watch multiple times and you haven't yet? If you can remember, you should do that for the challenge.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Yes. Burkion and M_Sinistrari and other have logged a bunch of them over the years.

edit: Why do I feel like there is a movie I've cajoled you to watch multiple times and you haven't yet? If you can remember, you should do that for the challenge.

Was it Home Sick? I watched that one and loved it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Was it Home Sick? I watched that one and loved it.

No, it was something before Home Sick. Less "100% Kvlt stuff".

OH. The Blob remake. You haven't seen that, right?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

No, it was something before Home Sick. Less "100% Kvlt stuff".

OH. The Blob remake. You haven't seen that, right?

Not yet, I added it to the list!

List so far:

1. Phibes
2. Bag Boy, Lover Boy
3. Splatter: Naked Blood
4. The Blob (1988)
5. Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
6. Vampyros Lesbos
7. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
8. Dead Ringers
9. Gorewhore
10. Sick Nurses
11. One Missed Call (2003).
12. Bluebeard's Castle (Opera)

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Shudder is putting up a bunch of Vincent Price stuff on October 1st so there might be something in there you haven't seen. I think I read it was gonna be the Corman/Poe/Price movies plus a few others.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've only seen The Masque of the Red Death of the Corman/Price/Poe movies but it's a strong recommend, especially this year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

I've only seen The Masque of the Red Death of the Corman/Price/Poe movies but it's a strong recommend, especially this year.

You should watch Theater of Blood.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Yes, I'd say so; but it's a short film, if you're asking for the challenge.

nah I was just curious.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Franchescanado posted:

You should watch Theater of Blood.

I just looked this up on IMDB and I'm definitely adding it to the list this year!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Watched The Houses October Built last night, why do I remember people raving about it? Cool concept but man that sucked

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Retro Futurist posted:

Watched The Houses October Built last night, why do I remember people raving about it? Cool concept but man that sucked

I don't remember anyone in this thread raving about it, I think most people felt the same way you did. Haunt is a better take on the same basic premise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe people were talking about how bad it was and I misremembered, I'll try Haunt next.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh yeah Kvlt!, Gore Whore rules, glad you added that cause I forgot

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe people were talking about how bad it was and I misremembered, I'll try Haunt next.

Just be sure to avoid Extremity on Shudder. gently caress that was a terrible movie (in the same "haunted house goes bad" theme)

It's like someone made it who was just super horny for McKamey Manor

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm considering jumping into the October challenge again this year, though my involvement likely won't be nearly as intense as it was 2 years ago (I actually made custom ratings icons for every single movie I watched. How the gently caress did I have time for that?). Life is different now. A second kid, more job responsibilities, various new hobbies, etc.

BUT with all that said, I'm putting together a pretty solid list. I'm thinking it's going to be fairly Vincent Price heavy, so Shudder getting a handful of them is awesome. There are also a couple on Tubi I haven't seen yet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yo Kvlt!, slot in Skinned Deep when you're in the mood for some goofy-rear end trash-budget material.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

Not yet, I added it to the list!

List so far:

1. Phibes
2. Bag Boy, Lover Boy
3. Splatter: Naked Blood
4. The Blob (1988)
5. Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
6. Vampyros Lesbos
7. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
8. Dead Ringers
9. Gorewhore
10. Sick Nurses
11. One Missed Call (2003).
12. Bluebeard's Castle (Opera)

What's the Bluebeard thing?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So the challenge thread is going up on Friday? I'm rearin' to get started.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Just be sure to avoid Extremity on Shudder. gently caress that was a terrible movie (in the same "haunted house goes bad" theme)

It's like someone made it who was just super horny for McKamey Manor

yeah Extremity is not good. It's kind of a shame because compared to House October Built and Haunt it feels like it's trying to actually say something about how people use horror to confront fears or deal with trauma, but it botches the execution so hard

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Imma watch a lot of Wes Anderson for the rest of the week to get my bloodthirst up. I'd fast on horror if there wasn't the directors tournament, but I'll probably not count them towards the challenge.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm watching Splatter Farm to get myself into the correct Challenge Thread headspace. Definitely a pro-watch for anyone who needs a vaguely homoerotic/necrophilia/SOV/Texas Chainsaw-pastiche to complete their list.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

976-Evil 2 is a fun NOES rip-off from Jim Wynorski and makes for a good, silly, spooky-season film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

So the challenge thread is going up on Friday? I'm rearin' to get started.

I think the thread will be up on Friday but then there will be 2 days of just discussion and planning talk before the challenge "officially" starts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's the Bluebeard thing?

It's a TV movie based off of the opera.

Darthemed posted:

Yo Kvlt!, slot in Skinned Deep when you're in the mood for some goofy-rear end trash-budget material.

Added!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

All of Corman's Poe films with Vincent Price are worth checking out. That's whats on my list for this October challenge.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Corman’s one Poe film *without* Price is also worth watching—Premature Burial, starring unsung horror icon Ray Milland

Also Corman’s pseudo-Poe with Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson, The Terror, is worth a look. Not as good as the legit Poe cycle, but definitely interesting

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Benito Cereno posted:

Also Corman’s pseudo-Poe with Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson, The Terror, is worth a look. Not as good as the legit Poe cycle, but definitely interesting

Speaking of The Terror, if anyone hasn't seen it they need to check out Peter Bogdanovich's debut film Targets. That is an intense and deeply disturbing movie, and it has an incredible performance from Boris Karloff as an aging horror actor getting ready to retire with his last film, so they sprinkle stock footage from The Terror all throughout.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

You have probably seen these already but just in case Dead & Buried or Dark Waters (1993).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder, I'm still taking suggestions (through PM or discord PM) for Fran challenges this year.

I've received some really good ones, so if I didn't thank you in the PM, thank you for sending them to me. I greatly appreciate it!

Deadline's Friday for Fran Challenge suggestions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

Watch Possession (1981)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Watch Possession (1981)

This applies to everyone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Friday needs to hurry up. I'm running out of movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

married but discreet posted:

Preferirng the American Ring is a pretty legit spookadoodle opinion if you ask me.
Now watch Korean Ring.

Performing some post necromancy here, but agreed on all counts. My wife and I are watching all of the Ring movies for our special Halloween episode of our podcast-- much more palatable than the Saw episode we did last year-- and Ringu is probably the weakest of the three adaptations. Ring Virus gets props for being the truest to Koji Suzuki's book (which is great and a pretty quick read), but the American remake is my favorite.

One thing that does bug me that I didn't really think about until this last rewatch, though, is at the end when Aiden tells Rachel that she wasn't supposed to help Samara. Does that really even matter? The only thing I can think of is that it might have strengthened her to be able to come out of the television to get Noah, since we don't see that happening (clearly, at least) to any of the other people that had watched the tape, although in the book it doesn't even happen to Ryuji like that in the book, if I'm remembering correctly. It's a pretty great line, but it feels more like a cue for the audience than anything else.