Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Anything with a cliffhanger that never got a sequel

I did think about that (curse you Dungeons and Dragons cartoon you ruined my childhood) but I more meant in terms of things that had a choice in the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, I'm pissed off, for a number of reasons. I have reached the end of CS3, so don't hover the spoilers below if you haven't.

First, I'm pissed off that none of those monsters of a people got slayed by devil Rean. That loving prick Cedric who just got his brother murdered and, of course, the motherfucking Chancellor. And this being anime, they aren't going to suffer any actual consequences for their bullshit. I guess that's like real life these days anyway where no consequences happen to the truly evil, but it still boils my blood that none of those fictional assholes are gonna get cut into pieces by a giant sword.

Second, what in the actual gently caress is even going on anymore. It starts with "we are going to war with Calvard, the Chancellor and his people have been working non-stop for this to happen" and I'm like "dang, this is serious", but then it turns out all they had to do was getting their buddies together and kill some cursed holy beast to unleash their crazy plan and clashing with Calvard wasn't even necessary. But worse, their whole plan is not even to break the curse which would be reasonable and at least make them less mustache twirling maniacs, but instead it's to spread it across the entire world. Because!

Third, this is how it ends. You get the bad ending. The curse is now spread across the entire world and everyone is just punching each other in the street and mobs are out there killing minorities and so and on. How do you even fix this? It's a done deal. What is CS4 even going to be about? Is Rean going to headpat everyone in the whole world until they become good people? Of course not. It's going to be some stupid deus ex machina that will fix things somehow. I can't imagine it's going to get a satisfying resolution in the upcoming game and I need to be proven wrong. Please.

Someone please tell me CS4 is good and cool.

While some of the things you're worried about are not problems in CS4, unfortunately I am of the opinion that there are instead a bunch of other problems that make it very much not good and cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, I'm pissed off, for a number of reasons. I have reached the end of CS3, so don't hover the spoilers below if you haven't.

First, I'm pissed off that none of those monsters of a people got slayed by devil Rean. That loving prick Cedric who just got his brother murdered and, of course, the motherfucking Chancellor. And this being anime, they aren't going to suffer any actual consequences for their bullshit. I guess that's like real life these days anyway where no consequences happen to the truly evil, but it still boils my blood that none of those fictional assholes are gonna get cut into pieces by a giant sword.

Second, what in the actual gently caress is even going on anymore. It starts with "we are going to war with Calvard, the Chancellor and his people have been working non-stop for this to happen" and I'm like "dang, this is serious", but then it turns out all they had to do was getting their buddies together and kill some cursed holy beast to unleash their crazy plan and clashing with Calvard wasn't even necessary. But worse, their whole plan is not even to break the curse which would be reasonable and at least make them less mustache twirling maniacs, but instead it's to spread it across the entire world. Because!

Third, this is how it ends. You get the bad ending. The curse is now spread across the entire world and everyone is just punching each other in the street and mobs are out there killing minorities and so and on. How do you even fix this? It's a done deal. What is CS4 even going to be about? Is Rean going to headpat everyone in the whole world until they become good people? Of course not. It's going to be some stupid deus ex machina that will fix things somehow. I can't imagine it's going to get a satisfying resolution in the upcoming game and I need to be proven wrong. Please.

Someone please tell me CS4 is good and cool.

My interpretation is that it's completely impossible to avoid the whole "Erebonian curse" or whatever, so Osbourne is trying to sort of "ride" the curse in what he perceives as the least harmful way. I forget the rationale of why this would be the "harm reduction" option, though.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

My interpretation is that it's completely impossible to avoid the whole "Erebonian curse" or whatever, so Osbourne is trying to sort of "ride" the curse in what he perceives as the least harmful way. I forget the rationale of why this would be the "harm reduction" option, though.

Curse theory
The curse itself will attempt to nudge history towards its own completion if left alone, so other events like Hamel will keep happening until something is done about it. Osborne's life appears to have gone to poo poo because of the curse so he is most likely emotionally invested in ending it no matter the cost.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 23, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CS3 Ending: My interpretation was similar in that it seemed like Osborne thought he couldn’t stop his countrymen from going all violence happy due to the curse so he decides to put himself in charge of everything and channel the curse and the country’s craziness into a war with Calvard instead of letting the country tear itself apart. It’s been a while so some of that could be wrong.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Osborne smells like musty buttholes

EDIT: [/spoiler]

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

And Golden Sun 3 is the reigning champ of that.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
CS 3 ending does feel pretty hopeless because it seems like nothing really mattered since they were going to release the curse whether Rean interfered or not.

Not to sound too much like a rabid fanboy but CSIV is awesome, expect it to be longer than CS3 with a lot of emotional swings and events and i'd say just about every mystery/subplot is revealed and explained and still leaves a few hanging for Hajimari, especially Ouroboros' motivations.

I'd say structurally it's very similar to CS2

I'm of the strong opinion in that, yes you should play the Sky/Crossbell series before digging into CSIV since the Liberl and SSS teams are involved, the central story focuses on new + old class VII though. I think it would be weird if you were seeing Estelle and KeA for the first time.

edit: PS store has a pretty big sale on Japanese games, YS VIII is 24$ along with a bunch of the other Falcom titles.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 23, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

infraboy posted:

Not to sound too much like a rabid fanboy but CSIV is awesome, expect it to be longer than CS3 with a lot of emotional swings and events and i'd say just about every mystery/subplot is revealed and explained and still leaves a few hanging for Hajimari, especially Ouroboros' motivations.

This is all I want and I hope I'll feel the same when the time comes a month from now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What do you get when you import a CS3 save into CS4? Is it anything major? I'm going to play CS3 on PC and then CS4 on PS4 when it comes out so I don't have to wait but as a result I won't be able to move my save. Is there any possible reason to wait for the PC version comes out so that I can import my CS3 save or is it all bonus stuff like past games.

Edit: Alternatively this can be rephrased as asking if it's worth playing the PS4 version of CS3 over the PC version as I own both. Gotta buy every trails game twice to make sure they keep coming out.....

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 24, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I really don't think it's a big deal, I think theres a slightly different dialogue in a scene involving Alisa if you romanced her in CS3, theres no real change in the story or anything, maybe an accessory and a quartz to make the early game a little easier. There are some really powerful accessories and quartz by the end game where it wont matter anyways. Just imagine a Rean that hits as hard as Laura but is as fast as Fie

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't loving remind me of Xenoblade X

Don't do me dirty like this

Also I'm liking CS2, about to start December 8

Insane that the main game covers a month of time. Rean busy as gently caress.

edit: also Nord Guardian looks like Valimar, is this a reference? no spoilers.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 24, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's only a reference if they carved ACKNOWLEDGED underneath

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

And Golden Sun 3 is the reigning champ of that.

poo poo has to be interesting for people to care about a cliffhanger, so Golden Sun 3 need not apply.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: also Nord Guardian looks like Valimar, is this a reference? no spoilers.

It is related to the Divine Knights lore is all

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I do vaguely feel like CS2 is different enough structurally from CS1 to work as it's own game. I do however 100% feel like CS3 needed like some falling action rather than BAM straight to credits because holy gently caress.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Honestly, I liked the cliffhanger. Not so much as a plot cliffhanger on its own in the grand pantheon of plot cliffhangers, but for the presentation. Osborne says an overdramatic but cool line with a great delivery, and then the screen immediately cuts to black as the music just stops. Roll credits.

I knew the cliffhanger was coming before I ever played the game even if I hadn't seen the scene itself play out yet, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The song after the cliffhanger honestly made me laugh though. Whooaa whoooa It's gonna be alright! is a heck of a thing after that.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

This is all I want and I hope I'll feel the same when the time comes a month from now.

I kinda see CS3 and 4 as analogous to Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. They don't have a ton of character development (though there is some, it's just not the focus in favor of the overarching plot), and CS4 doesn't wrap everything up in a nice bow, but it does give a good amount of closure and has some really fun good moments. And some of the things you singled out get addressed for sure.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Just finished Cold Steel III and it is easily my favourite game of the Erebonia arc so far. I honestly wasn't even mad about the cliffhanger, and ended up doing a complete 180 on the English VO.

The first chapter I was a bit down on the game - I just felt like, hey, we're three entries deep on this arc, why are we treading the same water? But the climax of the second chapter had me hooked, and each subsequent chapter dialed up the intrigue and revealed more of the conspiracy. By the end of the final dungeon I felt like enough moving parts had been brought together that I finally knew (most) character's motivations, and relationships. For example, okay, I now know who the Gnomes are, where they stand with Ouroboros and Osborne. I kind of know what the Phantasmal Blaze Plan is. We have some idea of what Osborne is playing at - trying to steer/control what he sees as an inevitable calamity (at least thats how I took what he was saying). The motivations behind the Ironbloods (I'd been wondering about Lechter since... Trails 3rd?) were revealed somewhat, even if kind of anticlimatic. But I like how Rufus puts it: that their loyalty to Osborne is like that of Enforcers towards the Grandmaster - its a loyalty that transcends any one motive. If anything, I think their backstories helped humanize them all - Lechter and Claire are just people at the end of the day.

I really liked new Class VII, as well as the branch campus by extension. I probably have a better idea of who all the other students are than I did in CS I and II. I want to say that the numbers were smaller, which definitely helped. I touched base with every student/instructor around campus/camp, where I think I stopped bothering in the previous entries. I don't think there's really a weak link between Juna, Kurt, Altina, Musse, and Ash. On a surface level, maybe Kurt? But I found him to be really funny as the group's straight man. His English VO was really good.

Rean butting in everyone's business makes a lot more sense, as a dynamic, when he's their mentor/instructor. Every bonding point I had went to a member of new Class VII, just because I wanted to learn more about them and see how they change. 10/10 teacher simulator. If anything I would have welcomed more time at the branch campus and Leeves.

My only real gameplay negative is that the difficulty feels really weird. I don't know if its a case of because there are so many different characters and tools at your disposal, that its difficult to make difficulty consistent. But I found that I had to either completely crush bosses, or I quickly got stomped. In the Crossbell games my boss fights were more of a drawn out exchange. But tbh, I'm holding turbo for entire dungeons to get back to the story, so it doesn't really bother me. On the character side, I find that Ouroboros seem just kind of toothless, overall, compared to previous arcs. Each Enforcer in Sky was terrifying, and Loewe was a mountain to overcome. Maybe its because they're less mysterious now. The worst is Campanella - when he breaks the fourth wall in Sky 3rd, its genuinelly unnerving, but now he's just this goofy looking guy who hovers around. Lughman has probably taken the spot of most unnerving villain, after blowing up the Courageous.

Music highlights for me would be Spiral of Erebos, awesome tune for the final push and I really like how it didn't cut out during fights. And on the other end of the spectrum, when the strings in Promise of That Day cut in during the Class VII reunion in Heimdallr it was genuinely moving.

Very excited to see where things go next, when CS IV gets its PC release.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

On one hand, it sucks extremely hard to live in a locked down city where I can't travel more than 5kms from my house, can't see my friends, can't go to the gym, hours got cut back to three days a week. But on the positive side, I've had time to catch up on the Legend of Heroes series! This year I finally finished SC, beat 3rd, Zero, Ao/Azure, and now III. Now I get to wait like everybody else for the next entry!

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

On one hand, it sucks extremely hard to live in a locked down city where I can't travel more than 5kms from my house, can't see my friends, can't go to the gym, hours got cut back to three days a week. But on the positive side, I've had time to catch up on the Legend of Heroes series! This year I finally finished SC, beat 3rd, Zero, Ao/Azure, and now III. Now I get to wait like everybody else for the next entry!

Lucky you (not about your RL situation, that sounds unpleasant), you only get to wait one more month for CS IV ! It's been a long year..

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

do I get to keep the support members quartz in CS2?

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
So Brandish 2 is pretty fun once you get used to clunky-rear end controls. The level design is slightly less obnoxious than Brandish 1 and the greater variety of music and environments is certainly nice. If you enjoy action dungeon crawlers, check it out someday.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i really loved TDR and it's a shame brandish 2/3 didn't get the same treatment

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

do I get to keep the support members quartz in CS2?

Yes.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Hivac posted:

i really loved TDR and it's a shame brandish 2/3 didn't get the same treatment

Brandish's gimmick works really well in 3D since the map can smoothly rotate rather than snap to different angles. It really could've used more 3D titles.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Brandish 2 is my personal favorite Falcom game. Fun gameplay, good music, and the fact that Falcom managed to get across the fact that Ares is a colossal, trolling rear end in a top hat despite being a silent protagonist.

One of the novels features Ares being hired as a mercenary in the army of an invading country, and he just straight up interrupts an honorable duel between the opposing country's ruler and one of the generals and ganks the dude. For the bounty, of course.

Edit: He also fights ninjas and Akuma from Street Fighter. That's also a thing.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 25, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

man this OST rocks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAeb-xChG4

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm in act 1 part 3 and I can not find a trial chest for Laura + Alisa, am I missing something?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in act 1 part 3 and I can not find a trial chest for Laura + Alisa, am I missing something?

Pretty sure the trial chests in act 1 are only for characters you are guaranteed to have.

Also you missed the puns, my condolences.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

Also you missed the puns, my condolences.

?????????

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

If you take the wrong people there are amazing awful puns.

Jusis and Machias: Have you seen Dorothee’s book about Jusis & Machias? It started with a Noble Command, a Treasure Sword was brandished and it ended with a shotgun wedding.

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

https://https//www.twitch.tv/sonicmega So Sean (Rean's VA) has been streaming a playthrough of Cold Steel 1. I hope he eventually streams the whole series, as he seems to be having fun.

I'm slowly making my way through Hajimari and I really like it so far (I'm a bit into chapter 4). The amount of playable characters in Hajimari is really impressive.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I made it through the Cold Steel II.

There was definitely a bit too much video game after the credits, but I'm not sure what exactly you cut from that sequence. Both the quick checkup on the Crossbell situation and giving Class VII their big final scene seemed pretty important to me, but I was definitely waiting for the game to end by the end boss. Speaking of Class VII, I thought I was pretty whatever about them, but then I got a little teary at Crow's goodbye scene, so I guess they grew on me by the end after all. Can't wait to see what becomes of them (and the SSS) in the next game.

Maybe if I get through CS3 fast enough I can finally go without having to desperately avoid spoilers whenever anyone brings up the series for a week or two.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm enjoying playing the NA CS3 a whole lot. Translating my way through the JP one was kind of rewarding in its own way, but it's definitely more fun to just be able to kick back and relax and comfortably read all the NPC dialogue without it being like some sort of homework assignment. It's a lot of fun to mess with the various elements of the battle system. Also Vantage Masters is a lot more fun than Blade.

One question - should I be using temporary party members linked to Rean for support points or something? I forget how that works. The whole party gets XP even if someone isn't in the active team, right?

Hocus Pocus posted:

But I found that I had to either completely crush bosses, or I quickly got stomped.

This was my experience as well, and it seems like one of the most important things is going into a boss fight with maxed out CP so you can exploit breaking the boss early (I'm playing on Hard and had a really tough time with the early boss fight with Millum and Altina because I got off to a bad start with low CP; I ended up needing to split my characters up so his attacks would only hit one at a time, and even then had to use a lot of healing and resurrection items). If I let the boss get many attacks off, I quickly end up in a chain of constantly trying to heal (and if someone is knocked out they lose all their CP, which in turn makes it even harder to defeat the boss). The common "get a huge buff and heal when low on health" mechanic also punishes you for not killing the boss quickly. IIRC late game ends up a bit different, with you having more tools to defend against enemies and more EP to use them.

I also agree about the CS3 students being better. Being much fewer in number definitely helped, but (spoiling all of this just in case)I also like the main party and supporting cast more (having Randy there as an "older male peer" helped a ton IMO - having him as part of the main party in the Crossbell games also played a big role in making Lloyd feel less like some sort of self-insert badass character, and I really liked the dynamic he had with Lloyd). Original class 7 was mostly pretty lame in comparison IMO, except for Jusis and maybe Gaius (who isn't interesting but is a cool guy), and CS3/CS4 seem to struggle to give most of them relevance. Off the top of my head, the only ones with a remotely strong personal connection to events are Jusis (which is one of the reasons I like him) and Fie (Alisa/Laura have some connections, but not ones I think are very interesting). Gaius's development is also pretty cool, so I'll include him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

I also agree about the CS3 students being better. Being much fewer in number definitely helped, but (spoiling all of this just in case)I also like the main party and supporting cast more (having Randy there as an "older male peer" helped a ton IMO - having him as part of the main party in the Crossbell games also played a big role in making Lloyd feel less like some sort of self-insert badass character, and I really liked the dynamic he had with Lloyd). Original class 7 was mostly pretty lame in comparison IMO, except for Jusis and maybe Gaius (who isn't interesting but is a cool guy), and CS3/CS4 seem to struggle to give most of them relevance. Off the top of my head, the only ones with a remotely strong personal connection to events are Jusis (which is one of the reasons I like him) and Fie (Alisa/Laura have some connections, but not ones I think are very interesting). Gaius's development is also pretty cool, so I'll include him.

I'd say that Emma also has a fairly strong personal connection to the events, especially in CS3. Not only is her hunt for Vita obviously personal, but because of Vita's connection to everything, that directly connects her to everything. What's more, as a member of the Hexen clan and granddaughter to Roselia, she has a lot of connection to the history of Erebonia that's so critical to what's been happening in the country over the course of the games. It's just a completely different sort of connection than a Machias or Jusis, who are directly involved in the governing of Erebonia.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Will no one else champion Machias ?

CS3
The poor guy wasn't that interesting in the first 2 games but in 3 he's following his ideal of justice, working hard to ensure that Osborne, Rufus and even his own father do not go unchecked. Sure, we know it's futile but he doesn't ! His interactions with Jusis, another favorite, are great as their rivalry is slowly but surely transforming into friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Machias also has the best/worst S-crafts.