Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Exactly. Steve does those videos and does them that way because that's what makes him money. You know it's stupid, he knows it's stupid, but it makes money, and so he does it. I do wish the articles got posted more consistently for all their content, but if it doesn't make money, that's just how things are right now. The 14 year olds are upon us and old fogies who like reading websites are no longer relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You would be if you'd just buy a modmat!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I like the "read off an A4" style because it fits what Steve is all about. He's the complete opposite of Linus. Linus is all about theatrics and everything has to be dramatic. Steve just gives it to you straight. I put on his recaps when I'm doing dishes or whatever. Also, his undramatic dead pan deliveries mean that when he gets heated about something it actually matters. GN takedowns are infinitely more effective and meaningful than those of other channels.

But, at the same time it is fun when they do break from it so I can understand the comment wishing they'd do it more. I'd just hate for them to become tryhard like many of the other tech channels.

GN will always hold the award for the most viscerally disturbing 40 seconds of PC hardware content ever filmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Some Goon posted:

You would be if you'd just buy a modmat!

I bought their poster that's a metro-style map of the x570 chipsets I/o lanes, and their toolkit. Figured I should support Steve's hairstyle

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I like the "read off an A4" style because it fits what Steve is all about. He's the complete opposite of Linus. Linus is all about theatrics and everything has to be dramatic. Steve just gives it to you straight. I put on his recaps when I'm doing dishes or whatever. Also, his undramatic dead pan deliveries mean that when he gets heated about something it actually matters. GN takedowns are infinitely more effective and meaningful than those of other channels.

But, at the same time it is fun when they do break from it so I can understand the comment wishing they'd do it more. I'd just hate for them to become tryhard like many of the other tech channels.

GN will always hold the award for the most viscerally disturbing 40 seconds of PC hardware content ever filmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

Holy poo poo I’ve never seen that. That made me wheeze laugh.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What kind of name is Linus anyways?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

littleorv posted:

Greek, one of Apollo's sons.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

It's a Canadian name!!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wirth1000 posted:

To me, the GN brand is about in-depth testing, consistent & proven methodology, not afraid to be blacklisted to expose blatant bullshit marketing, doing thorough testing to expose fraudulent stuff etc. etc.

That doesn't mean he has to stand in front of a camera and just read off an entire article verbatim in a monotone voice. The best parts are when he puts the piece of paper down, looks at the camera, and actually speaks from his own well of knowledge on the topic at hand. The best content is by far the stuff like where he calls out MSI's bullshit and NZXT's BLD's garbo stuff etc.

Even the HW news weekly vids I just click straight to the article and it's literally the script he's reading.

The streams are all great too because it's just him and the GN crew not being shackled by an A4 printout.

He does read articles, but thats just editting and making sure you cleanly communicate all the points you have. Another point positive for scripts is how tech nerds are VERY vocal when the wrong information is given enough so that some will just unsubscribe because of that.

That out of the way, Steve does communicate asides during these presentation episodes and that is more than I can for other channels who go off wild tangents sometime.

Best recent example was JayZ talking about the 3080 buyouts by Bounce Alerts. It was confusing if he either supported them (mentioning he looooves capitalism so much) or saw it as a bad thing. His cohost definitely did not support scalpers but then he started agreeing with JayZ, or thats how it seemed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm certain Jayztwocents fantasizes about people trying to rob him and being able to kill them with a shotgun.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm certain Jayztwocents fantasizes about people trying to rob him and being able to kill them with a shotgun.

He said so when the BLM protests were near/in his city and had a meltdown when people called him out and unfollowed/unsubbed him over it. He’s a massive piece of poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I saw the tweet but I mean that he wants it to happen

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the fantasy of everyone who buys a gun "to protect themself".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Warmachine posted:

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

“I employ non white people.”

As if paying someone to do a job automatically means you respect them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

“I employ non white people.”

As if paying someone to do a job automatically means you respect them.

"I have black friends" but for capitalists.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Page 19 of this thread has some of his tweets about how he's gonna put down looters if they get in his house. There was video of his comments too but I couldn't find it.

Anyway you are 100% correct

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
LTT says their "biggest video of the year" is coming in under an hour (midnight Pacific)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow...just watched early on Floatplane. You won't believe who he endorsed for U.S. president. 👀

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vermin Supreme?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Jeff Bezos?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess their biggest thing ever was the 88" 8k monitor, which they actually published before midnight. Boo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pretty good summary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

I guess their biggest thing ever was the 88" 8k monitor, which they actually published before midnight. Boo
Nah it was clearly the 3090. Just look at this loving thing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Nah it was clearly the 3090. Just look at this loving thing

It's a good thing I can't cross the border or I'd go take it from those nerds!!!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Pretty good summary.

You like following garbage Youtubers (Gamers Nexus excluded) is the point?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Linus is the best and it's hilarious how mad it makes people

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.

Yeah on a serious note, I've watched one of his videos, it was "cool tech" or something like that where he reviewed some compact Bluetooth speaker, and said the company also has a 5000W (or something) literally impossible rated speaker and didn't question it. Like the most you can get out of a N American outlet is 1440W, and no you're not going to be storing that much power in capacitors in a tiny cube. It's a loving scam.

Here, I found it, Dope Tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FC94Tgz2ho

Maybe he's a nice guy, I dunno, but that was enough not to want to watch anything else.

I'm going to start a patreon to take apart Audiophile garbage and show what kind of junk it is.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

K8.0 posted:

I used to enjoy him but for some reason this year it feels like something changed. Like everything is much more corporate and a glorified infomercial. As weird as this sounds I think I started noticing when on his podcast he offhandedly mentioned Apple's style guidelines about not using an article with their products. For example, "The camera on iPhone is amazing". The more I watched the more I realized he does it to other phones as well and it drives me nuts.

I've switched to GSM Arena for actual reviews and Mr Whose The Boss for reviews/entertainment

Edit: Yes that definitely soured me on him. His recent Zuck interview has me very much thinking of finally unsubscribing.
vvvvvvvvv

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 24, 2020

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Nothing will top his peak shill vid of the Buick SUV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfC8Y66tR6o

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

He's a shill but he'll never approach the shill levels of Unbox Therapy and his 17 million subscriber infomercial channel.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol I first saw MKB posted as a good tech youtuber in this thread less than a year ago. that's a new speed record from good channel to garbage shill.

Funny, when I looked at his stuff at the time I was thinking "I wish this guy covered stuff other than phones, 'cause I don't care about phones."

I gotta stop carrying this monkey's paw around all the time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's a shill but he'll never approach the shill levels of Unbox Therapy and his 17 million subscriber infomercial channel.

MKBHD at least edits his videos in good ways that isn't just a man at a table talking about A Thing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I will never understand this channel's popularity.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Charles posted:

Like the most you can get out of a N American outlet is 1440W, and no you're not going to be storing that much power in capacitors in a tiny cube.

You're wrong about this. Plenty of appliances (most hairdryers, many electric kettles/coffee makers, high end microwaves) are 1500W+. Normal power outlets are 15 amp, which is 120Vx15A=1800W, and 20 amp outlets are not uncommon, which is 2400w. That said yeah, you're still not driving a speaker with 4500W output off a normal outlet, it's a fundamentally ridiculous thing to say and any tech expert should pick up on that instantly.

Also two 4500W speakers in a room would not be "over 100 decibels", it would be "I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage."

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 24, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

K8.0 posted:

You're wrong about this. Plenty of appliances (most hairdryers, many electric kettles/coffee makers, high end microwaves) are 1500W+. Normal power outlets are 15 amp, which is 120Vx15A=1800W, and 20 amp outlets are not uncommon, which is 2400w. That said yeah, you're still not driving a speaker with 4500W output off a normal outlet, it's a fundamentally ridiculous thing to say and any tech expert should pick up on that instantly.

Also two 4500W speakers in a room would not be "over 100 decibels", it would be "I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage."

In some cases at least max continuous draw on a 15A circuit should only be 12A, 1500W is 12.5A which is probably close enough, I am not an electrician however, just know that usually for continuous use the breakers are 80% of capacity so that's why an EVSE on a 14-50R with 50A breaker only charges at 40A.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

He’s basically part of Apple PR now. If you want to know about the latest Apple release he’s been using it 2 weeks before it was announced, he even had an Apple exec on his podcast.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

MKBHD at least edits his videos in good ways that isn't just a man at a table talking about A Thing.

Yes, because the purpose of his channel is not to provide useful information - it is to entertain. If you want to be advertised to while being entertained, watch MKBHD. If you want useful information, watch Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The couple phone people videos I've seen seem a lot more youtube-y than the non-phone tech channels, even 'made a wildly successful career out of youtube' Linus.