Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Coming out of nowhere, Yashahime - Princess Half Demon is the sequel to the very popular anime/manga Inuyasha. You know, the show you'd watch on Adult Swim after your parents went to bed, along with Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Cowboy Bebop? The anime is once again being produced by Sunrise (Gundam, Gintama), and the cast and crew from the original series/Final Act are returning (with the sad exception of Kouji Tsujitani, who passed away in 2018). Rumiko Takahashi herself came up with the base story, designs for the main characters, and is supervising the script.

The anime will be simulcast on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Hulu and will begin on October 3rd

Characters:

Towa (VA: Sara Matsumoto)

The older twin daughter of Sesshomaru, Towa was seperated from her sister Setsuna by a fire, and through a time tunnel, ended up in the modern era. She's taken in and raised by Kagome's brother (Sota).
Ten years later, the time tunnel opens up again, and she's reunited with her sister. She's a delinquet, and gets into frequent fights at her school. May or may not be Colonel Sanders descendant.

Setsuna (VA: Mikako Komatsu)

The younger twin daughter of Sesshomaru. She was taken in by a demon slaying village and works under Kohaku. She appears to have no memories of Towa. She has a calm and cold personality similar to her father.

Moroha (VA: Azusa Tadokoro)
Inuyasha and Kagome's daughter. She's a friendly and cheerful girl who works as a bounty hunter. However, for most of her life, she's lived alone, and doesn't know much about her parents.

Inuyasha? Isn't that series for girls?

It's not 2002 anymore. While the anime and manga do have legitimate flaws (mainly being repetitive, having filler and both being too long), the series trying to aim for both a male and female audience isn't.Plus, the manga is very bloody, has frequent decapatations, and a scene where Kagome is in Hell, complete with a mountain of dead bodies. Grow up.

Do I need to watch/read Inuyasha before this?

In my opinion, having some knowledge on the characters of the previous series will improve your enjoyment of the show. However, I would highly recommend that you read the manga over watching the anime. The reason why is because Inuyasha's greatest strength is its characters, as the vast majority of the cast (save Miroku) are likeable yet flawed, have reasonable motivations and explanations for how they act. The anime, on the other hand, really plays up the negative aspect of the characters, to the point where it makes them unbearable at times. Inuyasha, while still rude and immature in the manga, is made much more of a jerkass, such as telling Sango that he'll kill Kohaku to her and daring her to stop him, and Inuyasha is also just ruder towards Kagome in general. Another example is that the Sit command that Kagome uses in the manga is WAY overplayed in the anime, and Kagome in general is much more short tempered and irritable in it as well.

In addition to this, the anime adaptation also made the relationship between Inuyasha and Kagome a lot more combative and ugly. While the two for the most part stop fighting after around Chapter 180 (with the exception of when Inuyasha goes off to meet with Kikyo, and even then, Kagome is upset for a few pages, and is fine afterwards) the anime added a lot more bickering between the two, especially in the fillers. Not only that, but it even changed and sometimes outright removed heartfelt moments between the two, either for "comedy" or for no reason at all. I know that a lot of people don't like the pairing, but I liked it, as the basis for it was about Kagome accepting Inuyasha for what he is wholly, and Inuyasha finally feeling like he wasn't alone and hated because of her. I think that if the anime hadn't made these changes, then more people would have liked them together.

Why did Inuyasha and Sesshomaru abandon their kids?

We don't know yet what happened to them, or the rest of the cast. According to Takahashi, the reason why most of the old cast is missing is because one night, they "something". Judging from that statement, Setsuna's memory lost, and Inuyasha and Sesshomaru being the only ones on the poster, the old cast has either been sealed away somewhere, or have had their memories wiped like Setsuna. While I could imagine Sesshomaru leaving his kids for a long time, due to them and him having a longer life span than humans, I don't see Inuyasha abandoning his daughter, due to the fact that he grew up alone, hunted and hated, and wouldn't want her to experience that as well (although thankfully, it looks like Moroha still grew up into a cheerful and friendly person).

Who is the mo-

All right, we need to get this out of the way. There's been a lot of controversy on who the mother of Sesshomaru's twins could be. And while Sunrise is trying to keep it a "surprise", it's being heavily hinted that themother is Rin. With that in mind, if you wish to discuss your thoughts on this topic, PLEASE keep it civil, as while Rin being the mother could be very problematic, it may also behandled in a way that doesn't make Sesshomaru a total creep. I personally wouldn't ship the two of them together, unless Rin, as she grew into an adult, started to take an interest in Sesshomaru and fell in love with him.

The Drama CD can go gently caress itself. I hope that the sequel won't make mention of the events in it. Regardless, I'll probably still enjoy the show (hasn't stopped people from liking Nadia).

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Wait, Inuyasha AND Kagome are deadbeat parents?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Awww yeah ground floor!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Captain Cappy posted:

Wait, Inuyasha AND Kagome are deadbeat parents?

Like I said, I don't think that Inuyasha would abandon his kid due to his awful childhood. And I definitely don't believe that Kagome would abandon her own daughter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m morbidly curious, what’s this Drama CD you mentioned about and why is it bad?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

I’m morbidly curious, what’s this Drama CD you mentioned about and why is it bad?

The Drama CD was bundled with the last volume of Inuyasha, and came out a few years after the manga ended. In it, Sesshomaru decides to propose to Rin, who's still 11 at this point, and is treated as beautiful despite being loving gross. In addition, Inuyasha and Miroku are treated as morons in the CD, with Inuyasha not even knowing what a marriage proposal is, and Miroku still flirting with women despite being married and having three kids with Sango. Like I know that Inuyasha wasn't the brightest person in the manga, but he wasn't Goku tier stupid

Not only is it creepy, but I feel as though it shits on the rest of the characters in favor of Sesshomaru and Rin.

That's the main reason why I'm hoping it's considered non-canon

I should note that the CD was NOT written by Takahashi, but the director of the anime.

If you're curious, there's a video translation of it on Youtube (The first track is just the last chapter of the manga)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasD6R4XAT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzwYRiyMHF0&t=161s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MmYNBUjrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVHUvTQJ1I

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, not touching that one then. Though on the subject, do we have any idea how long after the original series Yashahime opens on before we jump ahead 10 years?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Ah, not touching that one then. Though on the subject, do we have any idea how long after the original series Yashahime opens on before we jump ahead 10 years?

From the PV, it looks like the start of it adapts the extra chapter that was released in 2011, which takes place six months after the end of the manga. Other than that, I'm not sure how long it takes place before the ten year time jump. I was hoping that Hisui's (Sango and Miroku's son) age would be revealed so that I could pinpoint just how long after the manga it was, but they didn't reveal that information

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Also, which Yashahime is your favorite? Mine is Moroha.

I really hope that my post about the Drama CD didn't scare anyone away from the sequel. I still think it'll be good, but I'm going to ignore the events of the CD.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2020

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Also, which Yashahime is your favorite? Mine is Moroha.

I really hope that my post about the Drama CD didn't scare anyone away from the sequel. I still think it'll be good, but I'm going to ignore the events of the CD.

Towa because she is a prince type looking delinquent

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Definitely Moroha.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Towa and Moroha so far

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well I guess I can watch this. I watched Inuyasha after all

and all the other adult swim stuf

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
Honestly I know Canada doesn't do much dubbing anymore but surely they still have to send this one to Ocean.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Honestly I know Canada doesn't do much dubbing anymore but surely they still have to send this one to Ocean.

Are the voice actors for Final Act still active? I know that Kagome's VA in the original series retried, and they weren't able to get Sesshomaru's for Final Act

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I am still cautiously hype for this. I am not bothered by Rin probably being Towa and Setsuna's mom but it reeeallly depends on how that all came about.

Also I am def all about Towa, but Moroha is a close second.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am still cautiously hype for this. I am not bothered by Rin probably being Towa and Setsuna's mom but it reeeallly depends on how that all came about.

I'm going to consider the Drama CD non-canonical, and pray that none of the events in it are mentioned in Yashahime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Are the voice actors for Final Act still active? I know that Kagome's VA in the original series retried, and they weren't able to get Sesshomaru's for Final Act

Richard Cox (Inuyasha) hasn’t done anything since 2017 it would seem but I’m not sure about the rest.

Would there be any actors on the Japanese side of things where there might be an issue getting them back?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Richard Cox (Inuyasha) hasn’t done anything since 2017 it would seem but I’m not sure about the rest.

Would there be any actors on the Japanese side of things where there might be an issue getting them back?

Aside from obviously Miroku's VA, I think the only VA that might be an issue is Totosai if he appears, since Jōji Yanami has been effectively retired since 2015 due to health issues. Kenichi Ogata is still active and was recently in My Hero Academia, so I could see him returning, and judging by the fact that Kaede is on the poster, I'm assuming Hisako Kyoda will be reprising her (Fun Fact: She's also the dub voice for Mom in Futurama)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of surprised Kaede’s still kicking at this point honestly, wonder how much of a role she’ll play.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, are the previous two seasons available for legal streaming anywhere?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Having been of the unfortunate disposition of being (and still being, in least by location) British during the heyday of the first series and thus never quite being able to watch the first series (they got one DVD out of it over here and I believe it was some flybynight mockbuster publisher that put it out which did not help).

That being said I’m up for getting in on the ground floor of, to pinch from a very old webcomic, "Dragonball Super for Girls".

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 24, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

Having been of the unfortunate disposition of being (and still being, in least by location) British during the heyday of the first series and thus never quite being able to watch the first series (they got one DVD out of it over here and I believe it was some flybynight mockbuster publisher that put it out which did not help).

That being said I’m up for getting in on the ground floor of, to pinch from a very old webcomic, "Dragonball Super for Girls".

Is that very old webcomic VG Cats? I remember that Scott did a strip about Inuyasha, and unlike his other anime parodies, it was him whining about how much he hated it, and ended with the exact same message

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
I have noticed that Inuyasha is on netflix usa. I've started watching it. They have done a Ok job on it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Balsa posted:

I have noticed that Inuyasha is on netflix usa. I've started watching it. They have done a Ok job on it

Dubbed, subbed or both? Also do they have The Final Act as well?

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Larryb posted:

Dubbed, subbed or both? Also do they have The Final Act as well?

Subbed, Dubbed, and Subtitled for the english audio as well.

Edit:
They have the movies touching across time, honorable ruler, looking glass.

Oh and only the first two seasons.....

Balsa fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 24, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Is that very old webcomic VG Cats? I remember that Scott did a strip about Inuyasha, and unlike his other anime parodies, it was him whining about how much he hated it, and ended with the exact same message

That would be the one, it was just the crash panel of “ITS DBZ FOR GIRLS!” that sticks in my mind, hence “Dragonball Super for Girls”.

Though to be clear I use that in jest and Girls dressed like King from KOF is 100% my aesthetic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Balsa posted:

Subbed, Dubbed, and Subtitled for the english audio as well.

Edit:
They have the movies touching across time, honorable ruler, looking glass.

Oh and only the first two seasons.....

Ah well. Does Funimation have the original series available for streaming?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

That would be the one, it was just the crash panel of “ITS DBZ FOR GIRLS!” that sticks in my mind, hence “Dragonball Super for Girls”.

Though to be clear I use that in jest and Girls dressed like King from KOF is 100% my aesthetic.

Yeah, I just took the joke of "DBZ for girls" too seriously.

I much rather have people say that of Inuyasha than claim it's anime Twilight

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Larryb posted:

Ah well. Does Funimation have the original series available for streaming?

Nope, Crunchyroll.com has up to ep54 and a few more movies

Hulu has up to Season 8, but is still missing season 9...

Guess you gotta get the boxset or sail the 777 seas

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Speaking of seasons, why did Sunrise think it was a good idea to cram 150+ chapters into a single 26 episode season?

I know by that point Inuyasha wasn't really popular anymore, but it would have made more sense for them to divide up the remainder of the show into separate series like they did with Gintama, and air them as they had more material from the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact, I believe there was even one story that never got adapted at all (I seem to recall it involving Sango and a medicine man taking place right around the gap where the original series ended and Final Act began). Don’t think it was anything particularly important mind you but still.

Out of curiosity, what did Rumiko think of the anime adaption anyway? I know she wound up canonizing one of the OCs from that series at any rate (Koga’s fiancée who I forget the name of).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

In fact, I believe there was even one story that never got adapted at all (I seem to recall it involving Sango and a medicine man taking place right around the gap where the original series ended and Final Act began). Don’t think it was anything particularly important mind you but still.

Out of curiosity, what did Rumiko think of the anime adaption anyway? I know she wound up canonizing one of the OCs from that series at any rate (Koga’s fiancée who I forget the name of).

At least from what I've read, she enjoyed the adaptation. Like I said in the OP, I generally prefer the manga, due to the characters not being flanderized.

However, I did like how the third movie expands on Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father.

The OST is also very good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I liked the anime well enough myself but the manga was better in terms of overall characterization (even though it probably could have been shorter than it was and for some reason even the manga had filler arcs)

As you said though, Takahashi seems to be directly involved in the script for this new series which is a good sign in my opinion.

Related, was the series Rumiko started after Inuyasha any good? Also, is she working on anything currently?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Yeah I liked the anime well enough myself but the manga was better in terms of overall characterization (even though it probably could have been shorter than it was and for some reason even the manga had filler arcs)

As you said though, Takahashi seems to be directly involved in the script for this new series which is a good sign in my opinion.

Related, was the series Rumiko started after Inuyasha any good? Also, is she working on anything currently?

From what I've heard, Rinne is pretty good, and goes back to her comedy roots.

After Rinne ended, she started another series, Mao. Now I haven't read too much of it (only 10 chapters), so I can't make any judgements on it, but it's pretty similar to Inuyasha (girl gets sent to the past and has to deal with demons). However, the main character is nothing like Inuyasha personality wise, and instead of being a demon, he's a human who's been cursed by a demonic cat to not only live forever, but to also eventually have his body taken over by said cat. Finally, the romance in Mao is a lot more subtle and downplayed than in Inuyasha. Again, I've only read the first ten chapters, so that might have changed.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
The series she's working on now is Mao, which seems to be taking a lot of its cues straight from Inuyasha, complete with a girl from the 21st century travelling back in time (to the early 20th century this time, but it's still full of youkai). So far it seems tighter-written than Inuyasha, with a much stronger emphasis on a central occult murder/curse mystery, which the main character has a much stronger reason to be involved with.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 25, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Jo Joestar posted:

The series she's working on now is Mao, which seems to be taking a lot of its cues straight from Inuyasha, complete with a girl from the 20th century travelling back in time (to the early 20th century this time, but it's still full of youkai). So far it seems tighter-written than Inuyasha, with a much stronger emphasis on a central occult murder/curse mystery, which the main character has a much stronger reason to be involved with.

I know that people vastly prefer her comedy works, but I'm happy that she's at least trying another shot at writing a more serious story again, and seems to have improved from Inuyasha.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, have Rinne and/or Mao gotten anime adaptions? And if so, are they worth watching or would it be better just to stick to the manga?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Neat, have Rinne and/or Mao gotten anime adaptions? And if so, are they worth watching or would it be better just to stick to the manga?

Rinne was adapted and has three seasons, although I haven't read enough of the manga to tell if there's any difference.

Mao just started last year, so no adaptation yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, did the Ranma 1/2 anime ever actually finish the manga at some point like Inuyasha eventually did? If not, they could potentially bring that back one day as well.