Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

The old cable might work and then again it might not. It’s cheap enough to just get a new one and not have to worry about it.

It's even cheaper to NOT get a new one until it's confirmed their current one definitely does not work. Besides, won't the PS5 come with one packed-in? Certainly that one will be PS5 ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess sometimes those pack in cables aren't long enough for your needs. The power cables sure fuckin aren't usually

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So if I somehow did not get informed about pre-orders even if I registered weeks ago, am I hosed? I don't desperately need one on release day but I'd like one soon after and definitely before Christmas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

So if I somehow did not get informed about pre-orders even if I registered weeks ago, am I hosed? I don't desperately need one on release day but I'd like one soon after and definitely before Christmas.

Probably not, there's a month and a half left until release and Sony is not going to drop the ball to the point that there will be zero more preorder opportunities between now and then.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
im confused with all these hdmi cables. figured my set now would work just fine but maybe not. remember when we just had scarts that were better than the 3 coloured wires, which were better than the RF cable. :corsair:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HDMI cables are a fuckin mess.

Good luck identifying older ones too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m gonna play my ps5 on my 7 year old non-HDR 1080p tv unless it breaks and then I’m gonna buy whatever 55” tv is cheapest because that’s what fits in the space on my tv stand.

Why not just stick with ps4 then?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXtZeHmcaNk

What a weird port!

It was a different team from the Switch port and seems to be totally different in terms of look. The port has loads of issues on PS4/Xbox

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXtZeHmcaNk

What a weird port!

It was a different team from the Switch port and seems to be totally different in terms of look. The port has loads of issues on PS4/Xbox

The PC version is also complete trash. On PC, there is no reason to play it over the original release.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

im confused with all these hdmi cables.

Their other HDMI articles are good too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why not just stick with ps4 then?

New games more frames

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

I’m gonna play my ps5 on my 7 year old non-HDR 1080p tv unless it breaks and then I’m gonna buy whatever 55” tv is cheapest because that’s what fits in the space on my tv stand.

same except I'm limited to <30" so unless decent OLED gaming monitors become a thing I'm forever doomed to lovely LCDs :barf:

New games more frames
:hai:
negligible load times :getin:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How does one tell if the HDMi cable they are using isnt good enough? Will there be artiricats or some diagnostic I can check? I have a new LG CX and want to get full use out of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

How does one tell if the HDMi cable they are using isnt good enough? Will there be artiricats or some diagnostic I can check? I have a new LG CX and want to get full use out of it.

The PS5 won't output the signal that you want. It'll still do 1080p or 2160p or whatever

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm going to play mine on my new 55 inch QLED HDR tv. Yeah bow before my show of wealth.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

The PS5 won't output the signal that you want. It'll still do 1080p or 2160p or whatever

But I'm ignorant about these things. How can I tell what signal it is emitting?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
HDMI is digital so when it fails there's no mistaking it. At first you might get weird coloured pixels or whole lines in the image, then dropped frames, and then it just plain won't work, no picture at all. EDIT: badly worded, it's not "at first", it's either of the 3 options, things won't progressively get worse.

When it doesn't work, and if you don't already have another HDMI cable lying around, just set your source to a lower bandwidth output (1080p for example) until you grab a better cable.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

But I'm ignorant about these things. How can I tell what signal it is emitting?

You can configure your PS5 or your Blu-ray player or whatever it is. The safe mode of the PS4 (and I assume all other consoles) outputs at 480p; if you get no picture boot into that then set it to 720p or 1080p.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rumor has it the 65'' x900h is going to go on sale for <1000 at costco next week. For those interested. If you can find a better deal right now i'd like to see it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah if you don't notice anything, it's working.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shammypants posted:

Rumor has it the 65'' x900h is going to go on sale for <1000 at costco next week. For those interested. If you can find a better deal right now i'd like to see it.

I don't even know what this means but my CostCo card just started vibrating uncontrollably.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I tell you what, the TCL TV's are the best for the price that I've seen. I got a 55" two years ago now and it ran me about 500$. It's a Roku smart TV so I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you, but it's a decent 4K TV. I did just double check and it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 ports, but I honestly don't even know what the benefits of those are vs normal HDMI ports. Either way, it looks real good when I play my PS4Pro on it and I've had no issues.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lumpy posted:

I don't even know what this means but my CostCo card just started vibrating uncontrollably.

It’s Sony’s “ready for next gen” Tv that got high praise at Rtings

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ha ha ha ha what

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1308881601749803008?s=21

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up on the PSN store within a year.

But yeah, locking it behind the deluxe edition of Miles Morales is kind of lovely. OTOH, I was planning on buying both anyway, so w/e.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How about an upgrade for ps4 owners of Miles Morales?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
these are stupid own goals. not the time to be making your customers feel like suckers, sony.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

How about an upgrade for ps4 owners of Miles Morales?

From the article:

"In addition, players who purchase Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PlayStation 4 can upgrade* at no additional cost to the PS5 version of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales and can take advantage of a paid-upgrade to download Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered."

So if you buy the PS4 version of Miles Morales, you do get the free update to the PS5 version, and then can essentially buy the Remastered version of Spider-Man as DLC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why don't they just let you buy it separately :thunk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why the gently caress is Miles Morales dad named Jefferson Davis?

Did Bendis think that was hilarious or deep irony or something?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
posting on the 6th page of the PS6 thread

:yarg:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

why don't they just let you buy it separately :thunk:
I still remember back to the PS3 to PS4 transition and back then too they just had to make it complicated and inconsistent. I guess it's just the rules.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

That’s okay, I already played it on the PS4 :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm going to play mine on my new 55 inch QLED HDR tv. Yeah bow before my show of wealth.
Lol QLED? That's like showing off your 2018 Mercedes A-Class. :roflolmao:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

New games more frames

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

I think I’m gonna just get all the accessories at launch and a second controller in the hopes that I end up like all the goons who’s bought in at PS4 launch and are still rolling with their launch model on their first controller.

Something about seeing that low battery warning and just swapping paddles seems really luxurious to me, an adult with very specific values.

The funny thing is that the low bat warning comes up and you still have like 90-120 mins of use left. I just keep using it until it dies, and then it dies right in the middle of a good run on a bloodsouls boss or something :lol:

And then I plug it in and use my charged spare. The extra controller bundle at PS4 launch was worth it.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Have they announced if PS5 or XSX will be region free yet?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

FilthyImp posted:

Lol QLED? That's like showing off your 2018 Mercedes A-Class. :roflolmao:

You got me, I’m actually a stay at home dad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rad Valtar posted:

You got me, I’m actually a stay at home dad.
Heh :grin:

so, uh. . . heh what kind of grill ya got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Storm One posted:

Have they announced if PS5 or XSX will be region free yet?
I don't know about Xbox stuff but I had no reason to think that the PS5 would be any more region locked then 4 or 3.