Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Hey IYG, as I've seen some discussion about here, Google Play is going away, my roommate (I was one of the devices on his family plan) already cancelled the subscription, I don't have Google Docs as discussed on the last page. I do have some MP3s I moved onto my phone from my computer and I want to be able to download music to local storage so I can listen without data costs, as well as listen to the music I have on here already. I figure I should be responsible for my own music management, and modernize a bit, since it was a scant 2 years ago I literally had a separate MP3 player instead of using my phone. One of my mates suggests Spotify, he pays a fairly reasonable fee, said it has local storage abilities though he doesn't use them, and says the artists get money from plays. I figure I'd stop in and see what techy oriented goons recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you want streaming, Spotify is the most recommended.

If you just wanna play your own files, you can transfer to YouTube Music. It's not as good at Play Music, but works. There's more manual methods of doing it if you are tech savvy.

I'd recommend a media manager for your desktop. Once you rangle your files, they should be easy to use in if you need to move services in the future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rear end-penny posted:

Hey IYG, as I've seen some discussion about here, Google Play is going away, my roommate (I was one of the devices on his family plan) already cancelled the subscription, I don't have Google Docs as discussed on the last page. I do have some MP3s I moved onto my phone from my computer and I want to be able to download music to local storage so I can listen without data costs, as well as listen to the music I have on here already. I figure I should be responsible for my own music management, and modernize a bit, since it was a scant 2 years ago I literally had a separate MP3 player instead of using my phone. One of my mates suggests Spotify, he pays a fairly reasonable fee, said it has local storage abilities though he doesn't use them, and says the artists get money from plays. I figure I'd stop in and see what techy oriented goons recommend.

I'd say it depends heavily on your tastes. If the stuff you like is the stuff that Spotify has, I find it difficult to see why you wouldn't use Spotify. It works extremely well, has a really great recommendation engine to help you find more stuff to listen to, and integrates with just about any platform you're likely to use.

If, on the other hand, you only listen to FLAC a capella recordings of anime OSTs from 1996 or earlier, then you'll probably want to just find a local media player you like or set up a Plex server if you want the convenience of Spotify but without the accessible music.

Personally I had a large music collection in Google Play Music and didn't really venture far from it when I used it. After they announced the transition to YouTube Music and I looked into that and it was the worst thing I'd ever used, I went to Spotify. Instead of moving everything over I just created a playlist representative of my tastes and listened to that for a couple of weeks while Spotify built my profile then when the Discover Weeklies started coming I'd add what I liked until I had a large collection of extremely new-to-me music. Spotify's algorithm is really good and I like their couples plan too.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

OP seems a bit out of date now. Any recommended podcast apps? Only specific requirement is that I can add a podcast by custom RSS link for those that I pay for (maybe they all do this I don’t even know).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shofixti posted:

OP seems a bit out of date now. Any recommended podcast apps? Only specific requirement is that I can add a podcast by custom RSS link for those that I pay for (maybe they all do this I don’t even know).

Pocketcasts and Podcast Addict still seem to be the two main go-tos that I'm aware of. I use PA right now but I've used both and like both (and both allow for custom RSS links, I believe, I know for sure PA does).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

docbeard posted:

Pocketcasts and Podcast Addict still seem to be the two main go-tos that I'm aware of. I use PA right now but I've used both and like both (and both allow for custom RSS links, I believe, I know for sure PA does).

Pocket Casts does too. I've added a few patreon only RSS feeds to it without issue.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I see discussions about GPM and YTM and spotify, but does anybody actually have a recommendation for a good music player strictly for local files? I just can't deal with YTM and I don't have that large of a music collection anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still use PowerAmp and it's pretty solid and customizable.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I see discussions about GPM and YTM and spotify, but does anybody actually have a recommendation for a good music player strictly for local files? I just can't deal with YTM and I don't have that large of a music collection anyway.

Poweramp for sure.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I might try out Zplayer and get some of that ZuneUI action going, though.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Authenticator Plus stopped syncing to Google Drive with the message "Authenticator requires one or more Google Play services that are not currently available". I'm on Pixel 4XL/Android 11, and I have no idea what this could be about. How do I fix it?

The same thing happened to me, I posted about it a few pages back if you wanna read. Moved over to Authy, no complaints so far.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you. Yeah, I've figured it would be something like this.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Aaahh YT music is so bad! I find an album I own but if I don't switch to the "uploads" tab it plays the public version and tries to show me ads, on music I own!! I need to make the switch to local files or the google drive solution that someone suggested to me

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Is YouTube Music the only choice for uploading your own music to a streaming service?

Didn't Apple (iTunes/Beats?) let you add your own music and then match it against their library?

I know Amazon Music had some kind of service like that years ago, but also that they closed the matching thing down.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

SpiderLink posted:

The same thing happened to me, I posted about it a few pages back if you wanna read. Moved over to Authy, no complaints so far.

Thanks for the heads up and recommendation. Just moved over all my accounts to Authy. Don't like the UI as much as Authenticator+.

I moved all my music over to my Plex server, was some growing pains and had to do some editing of files to put them in my correct order but so far no major complaints. Now if I could only get the Plexamp visualizations to come on when streaming to Android Auto it might make my drive to work better.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 23, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

alnilam posted:

Aaahh YT music is so bad! I find an album I own but if I don't switch to the "uploads" tab it plays the public version and tries to show me ads, on music I own!! I need to make the switch to local files or the google drive solution that someone suggested to me

It's incredibly bad lol

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

Is YouTube Music the only choice for uploading your own music to a streaming service?

Didn't Apple (iTunes/Beats?) let you add your own music and then match it against their library?

I know Amazon Music had some kind of service like that years ago, but also that they closed the matching thing down.

Spotify sort of lets you upload your own music. The PC app has a section for local files, and if you add those local files to a playlist and then download that playlist to your phone or whatever, it'll play those local files in addition to the Spotify files. You won't be able to heart them, but they're playable. Plex will let you upload whatever you want, but their streaming service is garbage (they use Tidal).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Rescinding my previous recommendation of CloudPlayer by DoubleTwist, as a GPM replacement. Trying to stream music from my Google Drive through the app seems to reliably crash my Pixel 4, hard enough to force an automatic reboot into the 'cannot load Android system. Your data may be corrupt' recovery screen.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been getting that too but I think they've released it are releasing a fix soon. It's Android 11 related.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I tried to capture screen-recorded video of it happening. It didn't work - it crashed, of course - and now I can't seem to turn off the little 'show touches' blob, even after restarting the thing normally :/

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I moved from Pocket Casts to Antenna because the former was killing my battery and I just reinstalled it to see if power management is still an issue.

I thought the persistent media notifications were broken this whole time, but I think it was Antenna. If you have recently played multiple audio sources, you're supposed to be able to swipe between them. Antenna was treating each podcast episode I had played that day as ITS OWN AUDIO SOURCE.

Edit: Welp Pocket Casts only went like 7 hours before it drained my battery to single digits. Hopefully AntennaPod fixes this soon.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 24, 2020

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Echophonic posted:

Oh dang, look at this. I use Retro Player now, and it's mostly decent, but I'm a long time Zune user so this is appealing.

Has anyone shelled out for it? I notice it hasn't been updated in a while, so I wonder if it still holds up.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I find Authy distasteful (I only had it installed because Twitch required it for non-SMS 2fa), but if A+ really isn't reliable anymore I guess I have no choice. :sigh:

How do you remove old 2FA tokens on Authy? I have an old secret for Humble on there from when they were like Twitch, but switched to a regular 2FA token once they started offering that option. That means I should remove the old secret, but long pressing on it only brings up an option to hide it, not remove it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Echophonic posted:

Squircles are forever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I find Authy distasteful

Why?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I dunno, the aesthetics of the presentation? The sharing of my 2FA secrets with a company that got bought out by some large security firm? Does it matter? I said I was going to switch to it as my main authenticator anyway, so what if I have some grumbles about it?

I have Yubico Authenticator too, but I'm just too lazy to rely on tapping my key as my main 2FA method, I pretty much just have it as one of several backup options.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I used andOTP for a bit and it seemed pretty good (I only stopped because I couldn't use my fingerprint to get in iirc), if you'd rather go the open-source route and not Authy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I dunno, the aesthetics of the presentation? The sharing of my 2FA secrets with a company that got bought out by some large security firm? Does it matter? I said I was going to switch to it as my main authenticator anyway, so what if I have some grumbles about it?

I have Yubico Authenticator too, but I'm just too lazy to rely on tapping my key as my main 2FA method, I pretty much just have it as one of several backup options.

For what it's worth I agree with you entirely about Authy. I used it for a while before it got bought out but as I understand it hasn't had a significant UI refresh in a long time. The secrets *seem* be handled well but like you I'd prefer not to have to rely on them.

While I use 1Password's 2FA store now (and love it, actually), I did try out a shitload of other authenticators on my route there and after I decided Auth+ wasn't going to be supported moving forward. The only one I liked (and not as much as Auth+ but to a degree) was this one. I landed on it for a number of reasons but the developers were quick to answer questions I had and development was active which is more than you can say for just about any other authenticator.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to make the new Firefox browser not load two apps in the app switcher window?

Like I just want to be able to double tap the Square button and go back to the other actual app I was using. Not taken to the "home screen" for my browser :argh:

edit; actually if I tap either of those it just takes me to the browser tab I had open. So in that screenshot they both take me to DDG :shrug:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I only have one. What phone?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pixel 3, just upgraded to Android 11 the other day

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to make the new Firefox browser not load two apps in the app switcher window?

Like I just want to be able to double tap the Square button and go back to the other actual app I was using. Not taken to the "home screen" for my browser :argh:

edit; actually if I tap either of those it just takes me to the browser tab I had open. So in that screenshot they both take me to DDG :shrug:

It seems like a Firefox bug tbh. It doesn't seem to happen with the Nightly version.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not using nightly and it does not happen for me, either, so I'm assuming a configuration issue on your phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm using the beta Firefox app and I've got the same issue.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Focus doesn't do it, but regular Firefox does for me. Weird.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm not seeing this on the beta Firefox but after it updated last night, Twitter simply won't load (I'm using Firefox because gently caress the Twitter app). Anybody else getting that?

To be fair, stopping you from going on Twitter is probably more a feature than a bug.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

It’s been happening on my Pixel 2xl with Firefox Beta.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone out there use Airwatch for company email and having issues after Android 11? I can get everything setup, but when I try to accept the Terms and Conditions, I get an error about not being able to find the install URL.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wait, you need a pay for a YouTube Music account to use the app in Android Auto?

I haven't listened to music on my phone in six months for *reasons* and I don't have AA in my car, but my buddy was complaining about it and I had to check in the app.

EDIT: timg

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Are you sure that doesn't mean upgrade the app from Google Play?

EDIT: IT DOESN'T :( Misread