Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jabby posted:

Speaking of him lasering her tits, I did get a laugh imagining how that scene looked as acted, before the CGI was added. Just staring at her tits with maximum intensity.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

jabby posted:

Speaking of him lasering her tits, I did get a laugh imagining how that scene looked as acted, before the CGI was added. Just staring at her tits with maximum intensity.
Eyes wide open too, like it's the first pair he'd ever seen.

Dammit you got me remembering this video and how ridiculous it looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrSiCso9pU

Regards his attenuated laser eyes, it is reasonable to assume that there is some rage mode level above what he's used so far. The crowd wipe was the closest we've got to seeing him really cut loose. Perhaps that will ultimately be his undoing.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrotherJayne posted:

Yup, he has zero understanding of human psychology, and instead goes off cardiovascular markers that can mean many things.

I really like that touch.

BGrifter posted:

They’re doing a great job with A-Train as the spoiled celebrity rear end in a top hat on the show. He’s a jerk, but in the vein of someone like Kanye West where you recognize his talent and still on some level want to like the guy when he’s not being a prick.

Very curious what direction they’ll take A-Train on the show. The actor portraying him is doing a fantastic job. Really all the acting on this show is top notch.

Me too. A goon mentioned him being very much like the athlete that escaped a bad childhood and I can see that. Don't get me wrong: dude straight up murdered Popclaw to cover his own rear end but most of what I see is typical of long time addicts and desperate guys fighting like hell to avoid going back to the shithole they came from. He's a weak and selfish piece of offal and... so very human. I want to see him get better and become a real hero. I want to see Maeve be able to escape her imprisonment and kick Homelander and Vought's rear end. I don't think it will go down that happy but I'd like to see them try.

Bioshuffle posted:

That's an interesting take, considering his complete lack of remorse to killing Hugie's girlfriend is what triggers the entire plot of the show.

In addition, if someone gets drunk, gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone, that's not negligence, that's murder. A-Train did exactly this, except he binged Compound V instead of alcohol. He was absolutely responsible for Robin's death, but not only did he not feel bad about it, he actively avoided responsibility. He's basically Matthew Broderick.

So any goons have that "look" that A Train gives Stormfront after Storm is being smarmy racist? That look that says "I see who you are now"? A gif would be nice. I'm being nice and quiet but Bio.... I'm giving you that same look. You true self is leaking again. I see you.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Yup, he has zero understanding of human psychology, and instead goes off cardiovascular markers that can mean many things.

Has anyone successfully lied to Homelander when he goes into his lie detector mode though?

I noticed all the stuff Starlight said to him about Hughie and her not being together, him doing dumb poo poo and her wanting to blast his face off was all carefully worded enough to be technically true.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I still hope that he was using a super low setting so that when they do finally have their showdown and you are expecting some big epic CGI brawl he just casually lasers her in half.

I'm betting on this, or he just blasts her right in the eyes or something equally showstopping.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

And while I'm talking about comic vs tv show:
Does anyone else get the vibe that there's a going to be a big reveal that all the Boys have taken / been taking Compound V and keeping it a secret from Hughie?

I don't think this will happen but if it does Starlight is going to murder somebody.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

jabby posted:

Personally I thought having The Boys be superpowered themselves was a bit of a flaw in the comics. You can't take the piss out of superheroes effectively when your gritty protagonists are superheroes.
That was one of my favorite things about the comics though. The comics didn't pull any punches in showing that they are just as bad as the superheroes. The show has flirted with the idea somewhat. Frenchy sells illegal weapons, and attempts sexual assault. Butcher is a complete maniac who steals boats and lies to get whatever he wants. Hughie lies to Starlight and betrays her trust.

Mother's Milk is immaculate though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's way more interesting to have regular people taking on a god-like human.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

It's way more interesting to have regular people taking on a god-like human.
I agree 100%. I love the fact that Butcher was able to bullshit his way out of being murdered. Yet again. It was certainly more interesting than an all out battle.

It also makes me wonder what would have happened if Kimiko's idiot brother hadn't attacked the police helicopter. I can't see how Butcher would have bullshitted his way out of that one.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

is there any indication that Vought knows Homelander killed Stiwell?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/MhWFKjE.gifv

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Unless they were monitoring Stillwell's house there's probably no proof, although I guarantee that some of the higher-ups probably suspect him.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/DPyB4jf.gifv

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Not that I can remember, but it'd be weird if they didn't know.

Homelander has a tracking chip so they'd know he was there when it happened. And I can't imagine that her house wouldn't be under surveilence at all times.

Also, Vought knows that butcher is still alive (so he couldn't have suicide bombed Stilwell).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Not that I can remember, but it'd be weird if they didn't know.

Homelander has a tracking chip so they'd know he was there when it happened. And I can't imagine that her house wouldn't be under surveilence at all times.

Also, Vought knows that butcher is still alive (so he couldn't have suicide bombed Stilwell).

I'd say the whole Vought spin zone over Butcher being a wanted terrorist who put a infant at risk sort of implies they had a educated guess who really killed her.

The cheesy late night crime "parody" reenactment of the scene was hilarious like for TV show Stilwell they picked a lady who looked nothing like her.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for this. I hadn't fully appreciated how difficult it must have been for the actor playing A-Train to portray his emotions while wearing a mask. When it comes to emoting, a little bit of subtlety goes a long way. Unless you're Aya Cash, obviously.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The tv dramatization already spoiled the fact he's still alive and they are looking for him. No point in looking for a suicide bomber.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So if the show writers were planning to foil Homelander with his own son, how old would he have to be? He's what, 11, right now? I can't realistically see him fighting homelander. Fast forward to 16 maybe?

Also, how much weaker would Homelander be in his 50's, compared to Homelander in his 30's, I wonder.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The tv dramatization already spoiled the fact he's still alive and they are looking for him. No point in looking for a suicide bomber.

That was the funniest bit of humor for how low budget the TV dramatization was along with the episode that was a roast of Marvel franchise movies.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/6rnYolU.gifv

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I do not see anything in this clip that indicates the person who gets zapped was a terrorist of any sort. Hopefully they will elaborate on this soon.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bait post above.

spacetoaster posted:

So if the show writers were planning to foil Homelander with his own son, how old would he have to be? He's what, 11, right now? I can't realistically see him fighting homelander. Fast forward to 16 maybe?

Also, how much weaker would Homelander be in his 50's, compared to Homelander in his 30's, I wonder.

In the comics its canonical that V does weird poo poo to your age maturation if they wanted to go that route, but I dont think its the best route.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 23, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

I do not see anything in this clip that indicates the person who gets zapped was a terrorist of any sort. Hopefully they will elaborate on this soon.

Right before this clip, there are people screaming and fleeing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

He's taking the piss since there is no evidence that he's a 'terrorist' beyond being a brown angry guy in a fight for some reason. Its the opposite thing as he was doing with stormfront.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I think we'll have to learn about SF's immortality to get the truth on stuff like this, HL could also age very slowly, he just might not be old enough for it to show yet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

RIP LeafBlower

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Bioshuffle posted:

It’s actually kind of interesting. My first time watching this I thought it was the super attacking the town and Homelander landed in the resulting dust cloud.

After seeing how Homelander lands in that rally over the killed bystander afterward, he kicks up a hell of a lot of air, so Homelander was already standing there. The super was attacking him directly and the mocking response makes a lot more sense.

That opens up a lot of other possibilities for what was going on, especially since Vought’s already been going around killing unsanctioned supes with little care for collateral damage. Though the company line would be they know anyone who has powers is a terrorist (because Vought is the one who gave them it in the first place)

yook fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 23, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thanks man. You always deliver in tv threads. Seriously appreciate you.

Speaking of that look around 5 seconds in or so....

Bioshuffle posted:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

loving masterful

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The civilians were also running towards/past the supe, not away from him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The camera dip right as he ‘lands’ is another big hint.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

loving masterful

Is it just me, or does HL's face when he looks away from the screen suggest perhaps collateral damage bothers him more than he lets on?

Maybe not in an actual guilt way, more of an "I am becoming a monster" way?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

jabby posted:

Is it just me, or does HL's face when he looks away from the screen suggest perhaps collateral damage bothers him more than he lets on?

Maybe not in an actual guilt way, more of an "I am becoming a monster" way?

No, I think it's just the "ooh, yeah, that does look bad" face.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I love his meaningless, cliched platitudes

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tGk6rc8d8 Go to 0:23

They are running towards the left side of the screen, away from Homelander. Meanwhile, the unidentified supe is just standing there.

As more people run towards the supe, the supe once again is just standing there. Watching them.

Generally, people tend to run away from terrorists, not towards them.

Only once everyone is out of harm's way, he does that weird pointless air thing.

And then Homelander does his laser phew phew thing.

I see nothing in the clip that indicates he had any evil intentions.

Given his erratic past, I think it would make perfect sense for Homelander to seek out anyone with super powers to kill them.

Also note that the way the shot is framed, they appear to be standing out in the open to film the airbending supe, but takes cover to film Homelander.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 24, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Homelander's clearly arriving on the scene mid-clip. There's even a whoosh sound when he lands. So the guy's just trashing the place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Homelander's clearly arriving on the scene mid-clip. There's even a whoosh sound when he lands. So the guy's just trashing the place.

The guy he kills has whoosh powers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The guy he kills has whoosh powers.

Really impugning the sound editor here to say that sound is unrelated to Homelander's arrival it's just some off-screen whooshing they threw in for fun.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hopefully next season someone will have sploosh powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

jabby posted:

If you can move so fast that you can get two people out of a building in between a detonator being pushed and the explosion reaching them, you can basically do anything. Super-speed is huge plot-hole fodder because no matter what happens you question why HL doesn't just fix the situation before anybody else can blink.

Side note: I've never read anything to confirm it, but I'm 95% sure this is why the MCU killed Quicksilver at the end of Age of Ultron. Someone over there said "Hey, this is really cool once, but after that there's too many things we'd have to write around."