Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Also, I just noticed the poor airbending supe is so weak his air attack doesn't even move the wicker basket. :thunk:

Before

After

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Remember how the season started with BN getting sent to kill off one of the "Supe Terrorists" that HL made?

I just assumed HL was on cleanup duty in this scene, too. He had orders to go kill the dude he pumped full of V (even though, like sexy Naqib, his powers were zero threat to Vought), he thought he was free from the public eye, so he did it in a lazy and sloppy manner

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

If you just automatically assume he is a terrorist based on the color of his skin, that's on you.

Bioshuffle posted:

killing a supe terrorist?

k

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Remember how the season started with BN getting sent to kill off one of the "Supe Terrorists" that HL made?

I just assumed HL was on cleanup duty in this scene, too. He had orders to go kill the dude he pumped full of V (even though, like sexy Naqib, his powers were zero threat to Vought), he thought he was free from the public eye, so he did it in a lazy and sloppy manner

That's something I was trying to figure out too, did he get sent there or did he just decide to go there on his own? We know he likes to make his own orders, and he said he didn't need to clear anything with Ashley, he "saw the chance for an easy victory and took it." To me it sounds more like he was feeling down so he wanted to play a game on easy and feel good about winning.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Rewatching in full screen with sound this time, it does seem like homelander is landing after the initial dust blast, though it’s also clear the supe is waiting for the crowd to flee behind him before attacking, too.

Idk, maybe the initial attack knocked homelander away and that’s his return trip we see.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

That was the initial narrative, but upon a closer inspection, the "terrorist" may have just been a regular supe. If any show would get that dark, it would be this one.

All other times he's killed actual terrorists, the show has made is super clear that they were up to no good.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Homelander is just a perfect rear end in a top hat in this scene. Reminds me of Tim Heidecker.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

IIRC they were giving out black market V to create super terrorists as a way to secure sweet, sweet defense contracts.

Meaning he likely has ties to a known terrorist group as the source of his powers, though what’s going on in the video wasn’t necessarily a terroristic act.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The guy's not a super-terrorist, OK?

He's a super-villain. God.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

The guy's not a super-terrorist, OK?

He's a super-villain. God.

he's one of those soup terrorists trump keeps crying about

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

yook posted:

IIRC they were giving out black market V to create super terrorists as a way to secure sweet, sweet defense contracts.

Meaning he likely has ties to a known terrorist group as the source of his powers, though what’s going on in the video wasn’t necessarily a terroristic act.

Ok that makes sense, I had forgotten that. I was wondering how the hell I had ended up siding with him.

That said, bioshuffle, your argument quickly turned into "you brought race into it not me," and that's some weak bullshit.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

That said, bioshuffle, your argument quickly turned into "you brought race into it not me," and that's some weak bullshit.

Fair point. Edited to reflect what you said.

The message I was trying to convey was that after breaking it down frame by frame, I don't see anything in that clip that leads me to believe the airbender supe was a terrorist. I still stand by this point. I hope they elaborate on this. The show loves to leave little cliff hangers everywhere that keep you guessing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Surely though you can recognize that the average viewer who doesn't do that is currently expected to think that he is, with a twist likely coming in future episodes.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sure, I recognize that. But we're not average viewers, we're members of TVIV so

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A YT commenter pointed out that the kid who was hit is wearing a Lamplighter t-shirt lol

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

yook posted:

Rewatching in full screen with sound this time, it does seem like homelander is landing after the initial dust blast, though it’s also clear the supe is waiting for the crowd to flee behind him before attacking, too.

Idk, maybe the initial attack knocked homelander away and that’s his return trip we see.

How does Kimiko and her brother get the compound? Were those vials supplied to the terrorist group by Vought as well? Is that elaborated on at all?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

moist turtleneck posted:

hopefully next season someone will have sploosh powers
Wasn't that the building manager with Popclaw?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

How does Kimiko and her brother get the compound? Were those vials supplied to the terrorist group by Vought as well? Is that elaborated on at all?

By Homelander. They find her in the first place tracking down A-Train's deliveries.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

just because he's got a connection to people the us considers terrorists doesn't mean he was actually doing anything there

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

By Homelander. They find her in the first place tracking down A-Train's deliveries.
Jesus christ. I completely forgot about that. I should really revisit the first season. Thanks!

StashAugustine posted:

just because he's got a connection to people the us considers terrorists doesn't mean he was actually doing anything there
Not to mention there have been cases where innocent people are forced into the program against their will. I am really curious if they will go into any more depth about what exactly happened here or if they'll just glance right past it.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

I expect the show to move on since the video did it’s job of getting stormfront’s claws into homelander, but if it lingers I expect to see the equivalent of

“He wasn’t doing any terrorist activities, so how did you know he was a terrorist?”
“Because that’s who I’ve been giving the V to!”

At some point.

But yeah, there’s a whole long political talk about extrajudicial killings of foreigners for guilt by association that can be had. I don’t think this show would get too far into it since it’d be a meaty real world discussion just substituting supes in place of drone strikes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the main point has been missed by all of you. The next Avatar is hosed, because now there is no one to teach them air bending.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spacetoaster posted:

I think that homelander could be beaten by a supe that isn't necessarily as strong/tough as him just because he probably doesn't actually know how to fight.

One thing I like about Supergirl was that they had her training in martial arts in a kryptonite-lined chamber, so a normal human can really spar with her. When she fights someone on a similar power level, she actually knows how to fight.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

:siren:HUGE loving SPOILER:siren:

Leaked episode summaries

Episode 6: When The Boys and Starlight follow a lead to Vought's mysterious Sage Grove Center, they find one of Vought's darkest secrets - and someone even darker from their past. Meanwhile Homelander and Stormfront's relationship deepens.
Episode 7: To help Victoria Neuman make a case against Vought, Mallory and The Boys look to an unlikely source for answers. Hughie gets terrifying news about Starlight. Meanwhile, Homelander and Stormfront further their master plan for Compound V.
Episode 8: Becca shows up on Butcher's doorstep and begs for his help. The Boys agree to back Butcher, and together with Starlight, they finally face off against Homelander and Stormfront. But things go very bad, very fast.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grrrr this is totally going to be a cliffhanger season, isn't it

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Potentially, they got renewed for season 3 mid filming, so they may have felt safe enough for a cliffhanger.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is the best show on television and they need to make exactly as much of it will let it stay this good

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mllaneza posted:

One thing I like about Supergirl was that they had her training in martial arts in a kryptonite-lined chamber, so a normal human can really spar with her. When she fights someone on a similar power level, she actually knows how to fight.

That's awesome, I didn't know they addressed that flaw in super people.

Never watched supergirl, was it good?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spacetoaster posted:

That's awesome, I didn't know they addressed that flaw in super people.

It didn't grab me, but it's, ahem, super popular. It's on my list to watch, but not at a position where I ever actually will.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just sort of bailed after season 2. It... I dunno. I kept waiting for it to get good and it never did. Only other ones I watched were the crisis and crossover episodes. It was sort of half progressive and half dumb.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

If I were managing an invincible superhero, I'd definitely have an "open secret" fake weakness for enemies to plan around.

"Yeah, don't tell anyone, but I can't see through zinc!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7FhTtNR2A&t=35s

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Homelander fakes his own death, sews himself up inside a couch to eavesdrop on Vought employees talking about him at the company Christmas party
Only if he's naked when he comes bursting out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can never resist spoiler leaks but I swear this time I'm gonna resist

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

spacetoaster posted:

S1 was really, really banking on "The Future is Female" and Callista Flockheart as Cat Grant was giving her regular persona the Devil Wears Prada while Twilight Dad as Max Lord was giving Supergirl headaches.

It had a unique flavor but lost a lot when it was rolled into the CW shows.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Grrrr this is totally going to be a cliffhanger season, isn't it

You'll have to wait and see to find out!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Keltar posted:

You'll have to wait and see to find out!

I look forward to it!! I love this shooow!!!!!!!!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

moist turtleneck posted:

hopefully next season someone will have sploosh powers

That's Deep, and its only active when he is in the company of aquatic mammals.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FilthyImp posted:

S1 was really, really banking on "The Future is Female" and Callista Flockheart as Cat Grant was giving her regular persona the Devil Wears Prada while Twilight Dad as Max Lord was giving Supergirl headaches.

It had a unique flavor but lost a lot when it was rolled into the CW shows.

Losing Callista hurt a lot more than I figured it would

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The episode previews weren't really spoilers TBQH.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

This has been a thing with superheroes forever, literally since Superman vs Muhammed Ali. Actually been a few storylines where Superman learns how to fight normal-style, I think the earliest is a Silver Age one where he helps get an out-of-shape boxer back in his groove and learns to box as a result. It's occasionally brought up that the rest of the Justice League takes some martial arts lessons from Batman. (sometimes in spectacular fashion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I can never resist spoiler leaks but I swear this time I'm gonna resist

They aren’t that spoily, they are just the episode descriptions from Amazon or something.