Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Oh ye gods, my health is ruined! But what if...I were to claim the One Piece and disguise it as my own treasure?

Hohoho, delightfully devilish Roger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wonder if the grand line itself is an artificial construct, like in the absence of a physical barrier like the red line whether it was created specifically to divide the world further.

God there is so much still to learn.

This is absolutely the case.

The Grand Line is largely created by two barriers the red line, which already seems somewhat artificial fusion of raised islands and the Calm Belts. The Calm Belts are specifically dangerous because of the existence of Sea Kings which are intelligent beings who can be commanded by Poseidon, a reoccurring biological weapon. It hardly seems out of the question that they were commanded to maintain the Calm Belt as a barrier.

It's been stated several times that the Grand Line itself is a way to force the strong to fight each other, what with how the log pose works. It even works with the nature of the devil fruits and their proximity rebirth, which ensures that fruit come into the Grand Line but rarely leave.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Would be interesting if Kaido is depressed because ace died.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oddium posted:

the one piece is real

One Piece is a collection of free drink vouchers for Makino's bar. Nobody but Luffy will even know where it is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Oh ye gods, my health is ruined! But what if...I were to claim the One Piece and disguise it as my own treasure?

Hohoho, delightfully devilish Roger!

So you're telling me that One Piece is on Laugh Tale, an island at the end of the grand line.

May I see it?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Libra posted:

An ocean current would drown in itself if it ate a devil fruit.

If a fishman who ate a devil fruit doesn't drown, I think an ocean current would be fine.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
Holy hell we're 81 chapters into wano lol

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Ah, so both sides of the calm belt are ocean currents that ate devil fruits and sank to the bottom of themselves and lost their ability to swim.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Libra posted:

Ah, so both sides of the calm belt are ocean currents that ate devil fruits and sank to the bottom of themselves and lost their ability to swim.

Now you're getting it!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cloks posted:

So you're telling me that One Piece is on Laugh Tale, an island at the end of the grand line.

May I see it?

Well Roger, I made it, despite your poneglyphs.

Ah Captain Whitebeard welcome, I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable adventure

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 23, 2020

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
No, that isn't the moku moku no mi, it's the Yura yura no mi. The yura yura no mi of Steam D Clams.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Well Roger, I made it, despite your poneglyphs.

Ah Captain Whitebeard welcome, I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable adventure

lol

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think sabo got owned in his fight at the levely and when luffy is within spitting distance of laugh tale he will learn that sabo has been captured and will be executed, and abandon his quest to go back for him. since oda is mirroring part 1 in part 2, it makes sense to have luffy go charging in to rescue his captured brother, user of the mera mera no mi, yet again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm 100% down for a rescue Ace arc except this time it's the strawhat armada, the entire revolutionary army, and probably Big Mom who is still mostly just trying to kill Luffy but she just absolutely shitcans half of the Marines trying to do it.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Sanji! Your leg is on fire!

No Chopper, that's just my burning rage.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paper Lion posted:

i think sabo got owned in his fight at the levely and when luffy is within spitting distance of laugh tale he will learn that sabo has been captured and will be executed, and abandon his quest to go back for him. since oda is mirroring part 1 in part 2, it makes sense to have luffy go charging in to rescue his captured brother, user of the mera mera no mi, yet again.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm 100% down for a rescue Ace arc except this time it's the strawhat armada, the entire revolutionary army, and probably Big Mom who is still mostly just trying to kill Luffy but she just absolutely shitcans half of the Marines trying to do it.
let's add any captured shichibukai and maybe vivi, too

while we're at it, have bon clay break out of prison to provide another escape route

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
A rescue arc where Luffy is the Whitebeard rather than just some dumb rookie would be pretty sweet.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
That's a silly idea but would be worth it if Sabo died because he sucks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ryaomon posted:

That's a silly idea but would be worth it if Sabo died because he sucks.

Look at this incredibly wrong opinion. Sabo is fine, he'd have been a little better off if say he'd been mentioned in Alabasta between Ace and Luffy but narratively him being someone they lost and don't talk about works fine. He's got a cool aesthetic and a neat way to use the Mera Mera no Mi that's fairly different to how Ace used it which is nice, we don't often get to see the same fruit as used by two different people.

Alsot he whole point of redoing the Ace stuff with Sabo is for Luffy to succeed this time, not fail again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sabo stinks because its oda just getting the emotional payoff of almost never killing characters and then killing a character in a vvery big way and then just instantly replacing him with a palette swap

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't fully forgive Sabo for his story hinging so heavily on amnesia, a plot device I really just hate a lot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

sabo stinks because its oda just getting the emotional payoff of almost never killing characters and then killing a character in a vvery big way and then just instantly replacing him with a palette swap

Besides the fire ability and their relationship to Luffy, Sabo and Ace are very different characters with different motivations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly the only part I don't like about Sabo was the whole Amnesia plot excuse used to keep him out of the story until after the timeskip. You could have kept the whole story the same, but changed it from amnesia to "Sabo was on an undercover mission for the Revolutionaries far away from Marineford at the time", and then he'd have an emotional breakdown over not being there for his brothers, and it could have led to character development in the form of him vowing to never put his job ahead of the people he cares about.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Julias posted:

Honestly the only part I don't like about Sabo was the whole Amnesia plot excuse used to keep him out of the story until after the timeskip. You could have kept the whole story the same, but changed it from amnesia to "Sabo was on an undercover mission for the Revolutionaries far away from Marineford at the time", and then he'd have an emotional breakdown over not being there for his brothers, and it could have led to character development in the form of him vowing to never put his job ahead of the people he cares about.

:yeah:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well no because you need to account for what 10 years of him not finding his brothers

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Also him having amnesia is honestly the only reason he'd never mention who he is to Robin, who I'm sure would've told Luffy if she knew. Unless Sabo wouldn't want her to for...some reason.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EmmyOk posted:

Well no because you need to account for what 10 years of him not finding his brothers

....not really? Like, he gets taken in by dragon, and then in exchange for taking care of him he vows to fight among the revolutionaries against the World Nob LK es based on his experiences/being told about the Celestial Dragons. As a kid he's not going to go out on his own, and they're still relatively young pre-timeskip, like luffy is 17, and the whole pre-timeskip occurs over the course of less than a year. It's not like Ace and Luffy met up again before running into each other on the grand line, and sabo's been in the grand line too. It's easy to believe that he wouldn't have had time to get in contact before the Battle at Marineford, and then Luffy went MIA for 2 years.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheLoneStar posted:

Also him having amnesia is honestly the only reason he'd never mention who he is to Robin, who I'm sure would've told Luffy if she knew. Unless Sabo wouldn't want her to for...some reason.

...except he got his memory back about the time Robin joined up with the Revolutionaries. So she either did know, and just didn't care to bring it up, or sabo never told her personally. :v:

(The real reason it never came up is likely just a plot hole from Oda tring to justify bringing Sabo back into the story)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

EmmyOk posted:

the story is already chock full of characters who care very deeply for Luffy and do not often, if ever, check up on or even speak to him because they're quite frankly busy with their own poo poo

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Julias posted:

...except he got his memory back about the time Robin joined up with the Revolutionaries. So she either did know, and just didn't care to bring it up, or sabo never told her personally. :v:

(The real reason it never came up is likely just a plot hole from Oda tring to justify bringing Sabo back into the story)
Oh wait yeah, you're right. My bad.

But you're right on the latter part. It felt almost forced a bit.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it's hard to believe Sabo wouldn't try to contact Ace or Luffy in some way, but amnesia has even more plot holes. Ace's capture was a big deal so he would have heard of Ace and seen his face before, and Ace was a prominent figure in WB's crew. I like Sabo as a whole, his breakdown scene is good despite amnesia, but the amnesia still sucks and I can echo that he should have at least a half mention in alabasta when Ace and Luffy were talking to smooth out his reveal. Hard to tell if Sabo was planned at all then, but it seemed Oda knew he was going to have Ace captured and die early on; maybe thought later he still wanted a big brother figure for Luffy in the story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Amnesia is way better than didn’t let my brothers know I was alive for 12 years lol

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Rohan Kishibe posted:

A rescue arc where Luffy is the Whitebeard rather than just some dumb rookie would be pretty sweet.
...and he gets to do it with his real crew this time!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
we are definitely going to get a rescue/war arc where luffy comes rocking in as the loving king of the pirates to take down the gov. if not oda's a hack

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Elfgames posted:

we are definitely going to get a rescue/war arc where luffy comes rocking in as the loving king of the pirates to take down the gov. if not oda's a hack

Would love to read your syndicated One piece publication, master mangaka :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We're def getting that big face off but I hope it's not over Sabo as opposed to what they learn on laugh tale etc. I'm just not sure if he beats WG before BB or not.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can feel the approach of a new one piece on the horizon awooooooooo

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the manga has to end at lougetown, so I just always assumed the WG/Imu is the final clear goal

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If the final showdown is going to be prompted by the WG trying to execute someone Luffy cares about the stakes would be a lot better if it were Vivi rather than Sabo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just don't care about Sabo and I think a lot of that is just the framing around his introduction

Throwing in a character who is deeply important to the protagonist but has never been mentioned or alluded to in the past twenty years of your manga will never not put me off.