Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

buglord posted:

Getting a little tired of all 20 of my landed vassals starting poo poo each time the ruler dies. I inherited the empire of Mali as a woman which pissed off a lot of people, on top of the usual malus for having a short rein and my father being a gigantic murderous dick to everyone. I get like, three subsequent independence rebellions one after another as the former one gets resolved. I somehow pull a rabbit out of my hat and pacify everyone with a white peace since overextending myself is a real threat. Once everyone was calmed down I magically became obese and then died a day later, which was kind of funny. Less funny is that all the usual suspects are sharpening their knives again so I'll very likely be doing this process over again.

Also for whatever reason, all my vassal contributions are 0 now, so im stuck with 2k levies, down from 18k. There's no way to get them back before these strings of wars hit right? Am I supposed to roll with the punches with these things, am I playing it wrong by quitting as soon as im forced into becoming a vassal?

Are you tribal? If so your vassal contributions are based on your fame rank, so start earning prestige to get them back. And you shouldn't be scared of becoming a vassal, you should have claims on your former titles (at least, in most cases I believe this is true) and can try to get them back when you're ready.

As for succession, typically I try and save a pile of gold and some uncreated titles so I can create some titles and hand them out as soon as the next ruler comes into power, granting opinion and prestige. It also lets me feast/hunt right away for more prestige, and some opinion boosts. Then I befriend or sway powerful vassals with low opinion. There's also other methods involving dread, I find them a bit cheesy for personal use, but they're perfectly viable. Right now it seems like dread is a little TOO easy to get, especially since even a child can become dreaded because they can just execute a bunch of people. If you prefer that approach, it's a good idea to keep some important prisoners to execute whenever you have a new ruler.

Edit: A good reason to land your heir is so they can earn some fame in the bank before you take over as them.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So run just ended and is this intended? Idk how the heck my folks died. An event popped up behind the "you have died" and I could never get to it.

Prussia fell hard.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Magil Zeal posted:

As for succession, typically I try and save a pile of gold and some uncreated titles so I can create some titles and hand them out as soon as the next ruler comes into power, granting opinion and prestige.
Pretty sure it doesn't let me give land to heirs unless they were already going to inherit it. Which is fine if I have 4-5 holdings but sometimes I am stuck with only the one, especially if my ancestors had too many kids.

Maybe I should leave some small counties/duchies alive for free fame/holdings to conquer upon succession?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

buglord posted:

Am I supposed to roll with the punches with these things, am I playing it wrong by quitting as soon as im forced into becoming a vassal?

Yes, there is nothing wrong with being a vassal and in fact it can be a very powerful tool. In exchange for a pittance of tax and levies you get protection from other independent realms and easy opportunities to conquer your fellow vassals in addition to bonuses from the liege council and feudal contract options.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Would it be possible to mod the game so every character spawns with the "Hideous" trait? Because that trait makes people look like... something, alright.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

buglord posted:

am I playing it wrong by quitting as soon as im forced into becoming a vassal?

Definitely, I'd be a vassal all the time if I could. You get cool bonuses by being on your liege's council, and you can avoid the disadvantages by fabricating hooks on your liege.

The only serious danger is if your liege is an elective title that you might be elected to - you can lose your own land and titles that way.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So this only seems to happen when I play a tribal realm, but is really weird. Random, neighboring chiefs will just join my realm as a vassal. No wars, no diplomacy alert, and no inheritance claims on the counties. I just randomly get a vassal who was previously independent. Working as intended? What am I missing here?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you tribal? If so your vassal contributions are based on your fame rank, so start earning prestige to get them back. And you shouldn't be scared of becoming a vassal, you should have claims on your former titles (at least, in most cases I believe this is true) and can try to get them back when you're ready.

I declared a war without any prestige so I went to the negative level. That's about when the levies vanished :rolleye:

e: Guess ill try my life as a vassal then, thanks!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Broken Cog posted:

Would it be possible to mod the game so every character spawns with the "Hideous" trait? Because that trait makes people look like... something, alright.

The beautiful trait just being an airbrush+lipstick Snapchat filter is pretty funny.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't let me give land to heirs unless they were already going to inherit it. Which is fine if I have 4-5 holdings but sometimes I am stuck with only the one, especially if my ancestors had too many kids.

Maybe I should leave some small counties/duchies alive for free fame/holdings to conquer upon succession?

That's only true for the primary heir.

buglord posted:

I declared a war without any prestige so I went to the negative level. That's about when the levies vanished :rolleye:

e: Guess ill try my life as a vassal then, thanks!

If you go to Disgraced as a tribal then your vassal taxes and levies both go to 0%, contribution-wise. I recommend not going into Disgraced.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I did the Daurama Daura start and rushed Kanem-Bornu before passing on. The primary heir always inherits the empire, Hausa kingdom, and the two core duchies I'm maintaining in Hausa. As long as there's some extra kingdom level titles my sisters will inherit those and NOT my nice duchies. I was kind of curious how it would work but inheriting a kingdom without any land means they just boot the poor count out of the capital. Keeps the inheritance super clean despite partition but may not be very feasible in Europe where those titles are harder to come by.

The last succession I kept my core domain and sis moved to Cairo to rule over the newly conquered kingdom of Egypt. I started a sway scheme immediately to hold things together. When the scheme updated I saw she wasn't wearing her Queen garb anymore and realized she must have lost an independence revolt almost immediately because she has no holdings and the previous Muslim dynasty is back on the throne up there. What are my options here? This lady hates me, refuses to convert, and I'm worried she's going to undo the progress I made converting the populace to Bori. Can I grant her independence just so I can beat up on her family some more and get sis back on that throne?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ulmont posted:

As a feudal you can have fun by bee lining a king title and then making sure all of your kingdoms have the same succession law (I like tanistry but I’m sure Scandinavian election or Saxon election could work). Keeps the top titles intact and then each new king grows their own domain.

I know how it works. I just don't like how it works.
I know I can look at the succession but a lot of the time there's gently caress all I can do about it. Actually directly holding counties means so much right now (which is why the north korea thing works) and it's an arse to have it be so hard.

I hope they have a really hard look at people converting culture/religion for this patch.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009
So what is with randomly losing titles with no explanation? No succession, no war, no event, just a message banner saying "You lost the County of Cairo to Kersiami Gurgura". Even if I reload the same thing happens. Do I just give up on this save or what?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gonna need more context

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If you're a vassal that's conquered wrong-culture /religion territory, and your liege gives into the local populist fraction rather than fight the rebels, you lose your titles like that without notification, but yeah without context all we can do is guess.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a way to get the game to freeze and get a pop-up like in CK2 when a child is of age to select an education focus? I keep missing that and the game inevitably selects intrigue

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Catholicism’s fervor is insanely volatile and it’s quite annoying. My guy has about 5000 piety stored up, does the Reconquista achievement fire if I create a new Christian religion to finish converting my remaining Muslim counties? Or does it need to be Catholicism?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just noticed this after my new ruler took the throne:

I wonder what the triggers for "you are magnificent" are. This is my first ruler to have two top-tier congenital traits, so I guess it's that.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Gonna need more context

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you're a vassal that's conquered wrong-culture /religion territory, and your liege gives into the local populist fraction rather than fight the rebels, you lose your titles like that without notification, but yeah without context all we can do is guess.
This might be it. Started as an Egyptian Zunist that is a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor (Ruler Designer mod). The Emperor cannot revoke my titles because I got protection in exchange for higher taxes. Cairo is a Zunist holy site so I used abduction abuse to conquer it after getting a claim on the duchy through fabrication.The county is Egyptian culture, Ash'arism religion. I formed the Kingdom of Cyprus with the island of Cyprus, Seleucia, Al-Gharbiya, and the Duchy of Cairo. I have no factions. The emperor has Mashriqi Ash'ari Populists, Greek Mandean Populists and Greek Zunist populists. The only county I control that those factions have listed is Famagusta where the Greek Zunist populists are. Neither the Emperor nor myself are at war. Kersiami Gurgura does not show up in the character finder or the list of claimants prior to my loss of Cairo. She is a Coptic Nubian.

Also, after reading Dallan Invictus' post I tried just killing the emperor but the moment he dies I lose the title.

Moreau posted:

Is there a way to get the game to freeze and get a pop-up like in CK2 when a child is of age to select an education focus? I keep missing that and the game inevitably selects intrigue
Not that I know of but the selection becomes available at age 6.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think Daurama starts out with a daughter, but Bori allows concubines/consorts and you can pick Family focus for the fertility boost so it should not be hard to get one.

she starts with a sister so if your spymaster rival ices you it's not game over

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

I wonder what the triggers for "you are magnificent" are. This is my first ruler to have two top-tier congenital traits, so I guess it's that.

I think it’s because you have the arrogant trait.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

it's based on your traits. You're Arrogant.

e: gently caress, beaten.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

hexal posted:

I think it’s because you have the arrogant trait.

Ha, that's fuckin' great.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
So in my pandya game I managed to get to a pretty decent size and I have all my holdings filled up. I'm building sacred temples on the holy sites will I get the realm wide bonus if I don't directly control them?
Also I had my heir set up on the throne of a neighboring kingdom but when I died my 9 year old became my heir and the kingdom stayed independent. The older one was my main heir what gives? It's not a big deal but I was proud of doing it. Two generations of patience and work.
My development is higher then anywhere else in the world. I didn't even have a neighbor tech bonus for a while. Now to just tale all the holy sites.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
melancholic also gives you "this is you, even if you don't feel like yourself sometimes"

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I was looking for a woman with good traits for my third son and I found someone with quick and genius. My heir isn't bad but I kind of want to get her on the throne instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

the portrait editor is pretty neat

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

drat, that's a big rear end hare

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mister Olympus posted:

melancholic also gives you "this is you, even if you don't feel like yourself sometimes"

leper gives "this is you, unfortunately"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well given my ck3 saves all inevitably fail to work, leading to me not wanting to play any campaign at all, I decided to go back to CK2 to get my feelings on what has changed, and what's better off. I'll do my best to not talk about stuff that's obviously not in CK3 yet like societies/artifacts, and just try and compare what is, and what may be unchangeable.

The biggest negative in CK3 (to me), and positive coming back to CK2 was how levies were handled. I think having them muster off the map is a big mistake, both for verisimilitude and just general usage. Having to physically muster your levies meant you had the chance to snipe a larger enemies levies if you were smart, and generally showed the scope of your empire. As well it made a benefit to having king level vassals, because you can teleport a king's levies anywhere in their land like your own MaA's work now. Also retinues and MaA don't feel that different. In fact I think MaA are better, slightly. Their instant teleportation rather than having to be trucked around is such a huge asset. Though it is weird how their size only scales with tech and tier, rather than working off land and value.

For combat while I thematically prefer the flank/center/flank set up, both because you could overload a flank if you were cheeky, but also spreading out the rng, but CK3's dice rng seems mostly fair so it's at least not as bad as EU4. My biggest complaint here is that rivers are nowhere near as tactically relevant, given that they are first off modifying the dice roll rather than the armies stats, but also Forder and Strategist just straight up nullify them. Weird choice all around. I will say I really like how CK3 made sieges way more punishing to lose, I actually feel pressured to ensure my lands are never sieged, or at least my main holding so that's a really good change.

Obviously tribal->Feudal is just superior in CK2, but I personally also really think Elective Gavelkind was kinder than the new options like Scandinavian Elective. You're still dealing with gavelkind either way, but now you can lose your title with a really weird voting system, yay? Raiding was another big thing where, despite ck3 making some improvements (non ocean based raiders get more, and gold is stored on the army and can be recovered) but a lot is worse too. Raiding used to interact with a provinces wealth, where if you raided it was worse but gradually fixed itself. As well you could stay longer to actually sack the settlement, which was useful both for more gold but also a prelude to war. In CK3 it seems raid loot is it's own separate entity, and while it applies a penalty, it doesn't seem to other impact the province or keep there, it's a shame. Also they way over nerfed Norse ships to a point where it's just too slow to be fun.

Tech is another one where I'm iffy on. It's incredibly fast if you focus on it, and it feels too....discrete? I'm probably alone in this but I liked how gradual the CK2 tech system was. As well I think 'development' feels too, binary? The prosperity system of CK2 was great, where a plague or siege was actually a major setback destroying years of work, but I'm not sure it's possible to lose dev now, is it? I would like to speak of illnesses, but since my ck3 games have never held up long enough to get the Black Death, is it as utterly devastating as it is in ck2? Also lastly, giving everyone a councilor action to spread your culture is a bit silly and you easily wipe out entire cultures in decades if you conquer them. Even though none of my saves have lasted past 1000 starting in 867 I can wipe out Arabian culture and replace with Egyptian easily. There's some dev/tech concerns about this, but the fact that you can do it and that fast is a bit much for me.

I hope this is a fair list of things to criticize without getting into "oh there's no artifacts/other dlc feature", especially since I'm sure some of this stuff is harder to change than other things. It was interesting to see that CK2 still felt rewarding and not entirely obsoleted yet though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mister Olympus posted:

I've seen "this is you, unfortunately" a few times, usually when I'm heavily wounded or unwell I think.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

You can set the culture conversion speed via councilor to be 2x or 4x slower in the game rules if that appeals to you. Also, there's not really a discreet "Black Death" map-wide event anymore as far as I can tell, the bubonic plague can pop up randomly in a province and my experience with it is that it isn't tuned very well, it tends to kill its victims before they spread it very far. It does feel like a pretty big hole in the game right now that there's basically no "Europe is savaged by the plague" point. I don't really have any problems with war or raiding, aside from issues with AI allies, AI using boats too often, and the AI bee-lining a coastal capital getting old quick (so AI problems, basically).

webmeister posted:

I've seen "this is you, unfortunately" a few times, usually when I'm heavily wounded or unwell I think.

Yeah I think melancholic actually gives "this is you, though you don't always feel like yourself". The "unfortunately" bit I think comes from having some very noticeable affliction that doesn't hide you behind a mask.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eimi posted:

Well given my ck3 saves all inevitably fail to work

Disable cloud saves, it should help. They also cause the game to take forever to actually close (same thing happens with Stellaris), and there is no benefit for most people. I play on multiple computers, but I have different games going on each; it's easier and more stable than trying to use cloud saves and dealing with the jankyness.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

binge crotching posted:

Disable cloud saves, it should help. They also cause the game to take forever to actually close (same thing happens with Stellaris), and there is no benefit for most people. I play on multiple computers, but I have different games going on each; it's easier and more stable than trying to use cloud saves and dealing with the jankyness.

Sadly I've done that, and I know how to use the backup last_save.ck3 method, no dice. It's entirely related to how long I've played a game, even loading an older save that works and playing it will eventually crash. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, there's not really a discreet "Black Death" map-wide event anymore as far as I can tell, the bubonic plague can pop up randomly in a province and my experience with it is that it isn't tuned very well, it tends to kill its victims before they spread it very far. It does feel like a pretty big hole in the game right now that there's basically no "Europe is savaged by the plague" point.

Yeah it's kinda weird that there's no Bubonic Plague, Temujin et. al. never accomplish anything, there's no Timur, and there's no Seljuks in the 867 start.

And then there's the general Paradox problem where blobbing is very, very easy. Which I kinda suspect is intentional so people don't bounce off of it but still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magil Zeal posted:

The "unfortunately" bit I think comes from having some very noticeable affliction that doesn't hide you behind a mask.

And if you do have to wear a mask, it says "This is you, allegedly".

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

GreyjoyBastard posted:

she starts with a sister so if your spymaster rival ices you it's not game over
Yeah but she can be real dumb and get married patrilineally, even if you already picked the "female preference" succession law. Unfortunately my Daura had 3 sons before becoming infertile so I guess I'll just play it how it rolls

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
hell yeah, apparently a quirk of confederate partition is that it only applies to children? i outlived all my children and my granddaughter became my heir, and upon my death her brother and sister got gently caress all, granting the new 26yo ruler more or less ALL THE TITLES in extended Kanem-Bornu. most of my powerful vassals already like me immediately at the start of my reign, having received a nice share of the title pinata. they don't love me, but the -50 malus everyone has from my grandmom being queen bitch of central Africa will go away eventually!

did save scum to redo that death once, as i'd forgotten to force-convert my grandchildren to reformed Bori--apparently there's no immediate option to do so yourself. whoops

overall it's a pretty enjoyable start after completely ignoring Africa in CK2. was a bit weird initially--not entirely sure what all the outcomes are for the initial "change son to your dynasty" choice, but i made switched him to Daura, killed him off somehow (accidentally, i think), had INFINITY DAUGHTERS, and eventually ended up having the starter character invade her own husband because he refused to become my vassal after i formed the kingdom of Hausaland

based on the rather limited history available on wikipedia, this is apparently not what actually happened

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I acquired a primer on African history and unfortunately there was like three pages on this era of Subsaharan Africa? The book only starts going into detail after everyone converts to Islam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's kinda weird that there's no Bubonic Plague, Temujin et. al. never accomplish anything, there's no Timur, and there's no Seljuks in the 867 start.

The Mongols' problem is that they disintegrate almost immediately after Temujin dies. Like, it's a matter of how their succession works right now. In my file, they got all the way to Hungary before he died, and then his heir to the "Mongol Empire" had something like 4 provinces scattered in every direction across the vast stretch of their empire, but a bunch of the people they conquered were immediately made independent. They don't hold any of their gains. No idea if that's intentional behavior or not. They actually do come to party, but are gone in an eye-blink.