Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think my favorite part of RBW is that they still haven’t given any specifics on the year it’s set in or how the tech works, it just does and you’re expected to accept it. It doesn’t bog itself down in details that aren’t necessary to the plot and there’s basically zero technobabble unless it pertains to something specifically important. The first few episodes gave me a very early-70s-sci-fi vibe.

My only worry is that they’ll drag out the Talli mystery they’ve been threading, but who knows. They’ve been plowing through plot each episode so I’m not that concerned about it becoming a Lost-style mystery box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, with Ridley Scott's Alien movies likely dead, very fun we're getting a follow-up to the sort of ideas he was working with in Prometheus and Alien Covenant, mixed up a bit with Exodus, which similarly blends natural phenomenon and hints of the supernatural in showing the origins of a mythology, as mentioned above.

Apparently already been renewed for a second season. I had been wondering if the rapid piece of release indicated a lack of confidence in it, but I guess not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Throw in David in the show. Finish his story.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's supposed to be watchable so dont

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Have you ever been in a car in the woods in the mountains in the Eastern US and thought

"Wow, this is beautiful. I sure would love to watch people die in these woods. But not real people right in front of me, that would be too intense. I want them to be fictional people, people played by actors, on a screen. That's what I want, to watch fictional people die in the woods in the mountains in all sorts of different ways. For at least 2 hours."

Well, now there's a movie for you! It's called The Devil All the Time and it's on Netflix right now!

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 20, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat forgot that was out. I loved the book, so I am very curious to watch this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, with Ridley Scott's Alien movies likely dead,

Well...

quote:

The most recent installment was 2017’s Covenant, but Scott’s confirmed another film is still in the works.

“That’s in process. We went down a route to try and reinvent the wheel with Prometheus and Covenant,” he enthused. “Whether or not we go directly back to that is doubtful because Prometheus woke it up very well. But you know, you’re asking fundamental questions like, ‘Has the Alien himself, the facehugger, the chestburster, have they all run out of steam? Do you have to rethink the whole bloody thing and simply use the word to franchise?’ That’s always the fundamental question.”

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yes, its so great. Absolutely bizzare and unpredictable with such a visually design interesting aesthetic.

It also has huge Old Testament parable vibes. Like Earth is the old Assyrian/Near East civilizations and were watching this new world form its own strange mysticism that will one day be passed down as an ancient text of weird mythical stories.

The previews are giving me shades of Dune (the book) with how psychedelic and odd it is. I can't wait to watch it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Alien, but the xenomorph is a tragic anti-hero

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Alien, but the xenomorph is a tragic anti-hero

So that means Aliens, where they're fighting colonization, or Alien 3 where it's stuck on a literal prison planet, or Resurrection, where they're victims of genetic experimentation and eugenics by an evil corporation.

The first one just eats space truckers though, definitely extremely counter-revolutionary

e I can't do covenant, who even knows what that poo poo was about

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Prometheus and Alien Covenant continue the pattern of the xenos being increasingly abject, with the one in Prometheus shat out of god's corpse, and Alien Covenant having them subject to the same manipulations of David as the humans. Raised by Wolves gives us the end state of this, with the aliens completely pathetic before the godlike power of Mother.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Hound posted:

So that means Aliens, where they're fighting colonization, or Alien 3 where it's stuck on a literal prison planet, or Resurrection, where they're victims of genetic experimentation and eugenics by an evil corporation.

The first one just eats space truckers though, definitely extremely counter-revolutionary

e I can't do covenant, who even knows what that poo poo was about

LV-426 was a war between competing colonies so like the French and English not the natives vs the Europeans

The xenomorphs are French in my analogy and I’ll die on this small hill

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

LV-426 was a war between competing colonies so like the French and English not the natives vs the Europeans

The xenomorphs are French in my analogy and I’ll die on this small hill

That almost works, since in the comic books or whatever you find out aliens are actually a bioweapon employed by the elephant guys and not actually their own thing, etc etc etc

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the xenos are also colonists, with the complication that the colonists being turned into xenomorphs transformed them into natives that no longer needed the home empire. They're a workers' collective that goes too far in its opposition to the corporation–lacking Ripley's ability to find a reasonable compromise—and therefore having to be destroyed. Resurrection then has Ripley finding the ultimate middle ground as a half-xeno.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Have you ever been in a car in the woods in the mountains in the Eastern US and thought

"Wow, this is beautiful. I sure would love to watch people die in these woods. But not real people right in front of me, that would be too intense. I want them to be fictional people, people played by actors, on a screen. That's what I want, to watch fictional people die in the woods in the mountains in all sorts of different ways. For at least 2 hours."

Well, now there's a movie for you! It's called The Devil All the Time and it's on Netflix right now!

It's so trashy, I love it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Does Hulu skip a shitload of episodes for anyone else, rewatching bobs burgers and 30 rock while I clean and it’ll just play the last 2 minutes of an episode jump to next and repeat, super loving annoying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

a sexual elk posted:

Does Hulu skip a shitload of episodes for anyone else, rewatching bobs burgers and 30 rock while I clean and it’ll just play the last 2 minutes of an episode jump to next and repeat, super loving annoying.

Have you watched those series before on Hulu? I bet it has those episodes marked as having been watched up to whatever time code they're jumping to.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This description plus Robert Pattinson's crazy accent make it sound right up my alley.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you watched those series before on Hulu? I bet it has those episodes marked as having been watched up to whatever time code they're jumping to.

Yeah but we watched them all the way through, didn’t stop watching every episode with a couple minutes left.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah but we watched them all the way through, didn’t stop watching every episode with a couple minutes left.

It's a bug. Remove the series from your watch history and it should stop happening until you start rewatching it again. I have to periodically remove a number of shows I keep on as background noise.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

wizardofloneliness posted:

This description plus Robert Pattinson's crazy accent make it sound right up my alley.

Eh, it's a bit of a slog. I really want confirmation that the terrible voiceover was a late studio mandated thing because it is about the worst I have ever heard. Completely killing any story telling by just flat out stating things that are happening or about to happen.

The structure is a bit vignette-like, with characters coming in and out of each others stories, so I guess they thought audiences were stupid and needed things explained, but that just kills any suspense or surprise or discovery by the audience.

Like, there is a serial killer couple in the movie. You would think we would meet them and then discover the truth as their scenes play out, but in their first scene the voice over is just like "These two will totally be serial killers who photograph their victims!". Maybe just let that play out on screen and we find out in their first murder scene?

Also at one stage the voiceover says "Little did they know this is the last time they would see their loved one alive!". Jesus christ.

I think it would be a much better movie without the voiceover, but it just ruins the whole thing.

And it's a bit of a grand tour of misery. But there is one scene that I think is really funny in a very black comedy way The preacher who murders his wife thinking he has the power to raise the dead, his pause and near pleading "....God?!" when of course she doesn't come back to life is pretty funny. Although maybe it wasn't meant to be and I'm just sick in the head.

edit I see that the narrator was actually the author of the novel and the director always wanted the narration and the author to do it. Can't blame the studio I guess, just a really bad directors call.

garycoleisgod fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 20, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The narration was definitely an intentional choice, because the narrator is the novelist who wrote the book. It's a genius choice too, since without the narrator's wry tone the movie would be much more bleak than it turns out to be. Part of the fun of it is the narrator providing color commentary on the different characters. One guy is a "piece of poo poo", another "was always kind of hosed up." The goal isn't really to "explain" the action, but to characterize what's happening more effectively. Yeah, the narrator robs the movie of a lot of suspense, but that's also kind of the point. The most hapless characters are doomed to be killed off because of the nature of the world they live in. And for what it's worth, the really big moments are foreshadowed more subtly.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I see Search Party is on HBO Max. I haven't heard much about it, but reviews seem good. Is it worth watching? I can't tell exactly what kind of show it is from the description.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Superrodan posted:

I see Search Party is on HBO Max. I haven't heard much about it, but reviews seem good. Is it worth watching? I can't tell exactly what kind of show it is from the description.

I've only seen the first season, but it was pretty good and I keep meaning to watch the rest. I heard it stayed consistently decent. It's a comedy mystery thing, basically another "What if a (blank) character ended up in a mystery/Noir story." It's a group of 4 millennials getting wrapped up in a missing persons case with a few side stories and bits.

For an example, one early joke is quiet headshaking over the missing girl's college Acappella group singing "Since You've Been Gone" at her vigil. Although there are some tense and serious bits too. It's not really like American Vandal, but that might be the closest comparison.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You know how Girls is a lovely millennial comedy because Lena Dunham is a lovely millennial with absolutely no self awareness whatsoever?

Search Party is a lovely millennial comedy that knows exactly what it is doing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Search Party is amazing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Superrodan posted:

Yeah, Search Party is fantastic. Watch it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate Gemini Man for not being face off and being too bland to be fun

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's funny that everyone was turned off after how bad The Hobbit looked with a higher FPS but Ang Lee was just like "Nah I am going to triple down on this poo poo. Now watch me make make the worst blockbuster of Will Smith's career." Gemini Man is deeply bad and looks awful to boot, minus young Smith.

That's right. Wild Wild West and MIB 2 are better than Gemini Man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wild Wild West is downright fun at points because it leans into the campy insanity. It’s obviously still a terrible movie, but I find it genuinely watchable. That’s my WWW hot take.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

garycoleisgod posted:

Eh, it's a bit of a slog. I really want confirmation that the terrible voiceover was a late studio mandated thing because it is about the worst I have ever heard. Completely killing any story telling by just flat out stating things that are happening or about to happen.

The structure is a bit vignette-like, with characters coming in and out of each others stories, so I guess they thought audiences were stupid and needed things explained, but that just kills any suspense or surprise or discovery by the audience.

Like, there is a serial killer couple in the movie. You would think we would meet them and then discover the truth as their scenes play out, but in their first scene the voice over is just like "These two will totally be serial killers who photograph their victims!". Maybe just let that play out on screen and we find out in their first murder scene?

Also at one stage the voiceover says "Little did they know this is the last time they would see their loved one alive!". Jesus christ.

I think it would be a much better movie without the voiceover, but it just ruins the whole thing.

And it's a bit of a grand tour of misery. But there is one scene that I think is really funny in a very black comedy way The preacher who murders his wife thinking he has the power to raise the dead, his pause and near pleading "....God?!" when of course she doesn't come back to life is pretty funny. Although maybe it wasn't meant to be and I'm just sick in the head.

edit I see that the narrator was actually the author of the novel and the director always wanted the narration and the author to do it. Can't blame the studio I guess, just a really bad directors call.

Delusions!!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

clean ayers act posted:

Netflix has a new documentary about the Challenger disaster coming out on wednesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAeVAgqFV4

I'm not sure what more can be said about it but i suppose its good for younger generations to know about it

Report back on this, its very good. Its fascinating how some people involved in the decision to launch have been haunted by it for their entire life, and others seem totally ok with it. Like you can physically tell the effect it has had on them

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

Report back on this, its very good. Its fascinating how some people involved in the decision to launch have been haunted by it for their entire life, and others seem totally ok with it. Like you can physically tell the effect it has had on them

Yeah this was really great, and very emotionally exhausting. My wife and I were both crying by the end of episode 3 first part of episode 4. We are both of an age that we vividly remember watching the launch live in our schools, but I didn't think it was going to hit me quite that hard. I wanted to give that one engineer a hug so bad. :smith:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just found out about all owners of Vizio TVs getting three months free of Apple TV+ and I have a Vizio TV! What's good on that service?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, the Beastie Boy doc and Mystic Quest are all worth a watch on Apple TV+.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, the Beastie Boy doc and Mystic Quest are all worth a watch on Apple TV+.

Agreed with all of those, and I was even primed to dislike Ted Lasso but it might be my favorite of the bunch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’ve been watching The Vow on HBO about the NXIUM cult and I can’t tell if I am supposed to have sympathy for anyone in it, but I just can’t feel bad for anyone involved. It might be that the main guy Mark (also behind the terrible “documentary” What the Bleep Do We Know) is possibly the biggest goober on the planet, but I think there’s more than that.

Almost everyone interviewed willingly joined this very obvious cult, and vigorously defended it, while ignoring giant red flags. They also actively recruited other people into the cult. The whole thing is terrible and the leader might be the least charismatic person to ever be in charge of a cult.

It’s still worth watching, but I don’t think it’s coming across as the filmmaker intended.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Deadite posted:

I’ve been watching The Vow on HBO about the NXIUM cult and I can’t tell if I am supposed to have sympathy for anyone in it, but I just can’t feel bad for anyone involved. It might be that the main guy Mark (also behind the terrible “documentary” What the Bleep Do We Know) is possibly the biggest goober on the planet, but I think there’s more than that.

Almost everyone interviewed willingly joined this very obvious cult, and vigorously defended it, while ignoring giant red flags. They also actively recruited other people into the cult. The whole thing is terrible and the leader might be the least charismatic person to ever be in charge of a cult.

It’s still worth watching, but I don’t think it’s coming across as the filmmaker intended.

https://twitter.com/allisonmack/status/691113581228728321

Tweets that aged poorly

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think The Vow is an interesting look into the very psychology that youre frustrated with. It is truly baffling and its hard to sympathize for obvious reasons but I feel like thats exactly what hes trying to examine. How the gently caress exactly do these reasonabley capable people do this dumb poo poo?

NXIVM is a pretty bizarre cult. Like a Diet Scientology steeped in entrepreneurial business nonsense.

Ive quite enjoyed it and the sheer amount of footage and recordings they have is wild. Ive watched so many cult docs and havent quite seen one like this. Its a good slowburn and the thorough documentation in real time is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watched Enola Holmes earlier. Nothing particularly spectacular about it, but it wasn't bad. I liked it. I haven't read the books or graphic novels, but I've gotten a few of them for my goddaughter and she enjoyed the film a lot. Cavill doesn't really do much as Sherlock, but the movie isn't about him anyways (he looks great in the role though lol). Millie Bobby Brown was pretty good as the lead and really does carry the film. I wouldn't mind a sequel or two.