Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Only post itt if you could not get any sleep

At 2 I gave up on trying to sleep at all and started watching a Lars Von Trier movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It was fine I guess

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is a good way to go to sleep OP. Hope it worked.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I got some sleep but i both went to bed late and woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. Last night my cat and I found a distressed kitten. it took a while to coax him out and get him settled in my apartment. I have a small apartment so I stowed the kitten in my bathroom for the night

Now cat #1 is understandably not thrilled by having another cat in his bathroom, but hes thankfully limiting it to curious meows and the occasional hiss under the door. the cats woke me up with their fussing at each other.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

my extremely old hound has gotten into the habit of waking up my wife or I between 2-3am because he may or may not want to piss in the kitchen, which he knows he's not supposed to do, so one of us stands in the yard with him while he sniffs the night air for a while grumpily and strains to find the moon, even though he's blind as hell.

Because we're normally up by about 4:30 anyway this means one of us often doesn't actually get back to bed for any sleep and it sucks butt, op. Today I am the one sucking butt.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
I never sleep well. I have accepted it along with the many other disappointments life has handed to me.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i always have weirder/more involved dreams after going without sleep for 24 hours and then finally passing out

ive always wonder about naps tho. like going to sleep at will? drat, thats paradise

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I got insomnia and that thing where your sleep schedule rotates wildly around the clock like a baby or an astronaut so I'm gonna be up til like 6 or 7am. It's lonely. I hope I start waking up in the mornings again soon.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Skratte posted:

I got insomnia and that thing where your sleep schedule rotates wildly around the clock like a baby or an astronaut so I'm gonna be up til like 6 or 7am. It's lonely. I hope I start waking up in the mornings again soon.

this is my life too. can't keep a stable sleep schedule

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I am the high king nightcrawler

I sleep from 6-12 pm to am

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i accidentally fell asleep earlier when i laid down to pet my cat. from idk 9 to 1:30??

this would be bad enough if not for the fact that even if i didn't have that nap i'd be awake til 5 or 6 am

send help

Skratte posted:

Unfinish3d posted:

this is my life too. can't keep a stable sleep schedule

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Hello fellow insomniacs! I have some things for you to try, to stabilize your sleep:

Sleep hygiene:
  • Bedroom is for loving and sleeping. Don't spend time in your bedroom for other things. If you like to read or watch tv before sleep, do it in another room.
  • Go to bed and get up at consistent times. Not doable for everybody, but try to time your rise in the morning so that you can see natural daylight within one hour of waking.
  • Keep your bedroom as dark as possible, at a comfortable temperature (for most people, 18°C/64°F is ideal), with no noise (use earplugs if necessary)
  • Eliminate as much blue light as possible about an hour before you intend to go to bed. This typically means no screens (phone, tablets, tv), no "sunlight" (5000k+) lightbulbs on
  • No large meals late in the evening
  • No alcohol or nicotine late in the evening
  • No caffeine within six hours of sleep
  • Ideally, no napping, but if you do, nap early
  • Get regular exercise (daily if possible)
  • Get regular sunlight (again daily if possible)
  • Don't drink water too close to bedtime

If your sleep doesn't stabilize after doing all this for a couple of weeks, you may need to step up your efforts...

Other interventions
  • Don't go to bed until you are truly tired
  • Don't stay in bed awake more than 20 minutes. If this happens, get up, go to a different room, and do something boring for a while before going back to bed (see: Stimulus Control Therapy)
  • Don't give yourself more runway for sleep, as that will be more likely to cause problems. You're ironically better off shortening your time in bed until a greater percentage of that time is spent sleeping (see: Sleep Restriction Therapy)

If you really want to try substances for insomnia, there are some that are generally considered safe for most people, but not everybody. You really should talk to your doctor before trying any of these.

Supplements
  • Melatonin - Often suggested by doctors. Smaller doses can be more effective than larger doses, so try small and work your way up. Not recommended for kids without physician supervision.
  • Mangesium - Often suggested by doctors. May not help if you don't have a magnesium deficiency, but few people actually get the recommended daily amounts in food.
  • l-theanine - Found in green tea, but you can buy capsules at higher dosage levels. Doesn't make you drowsy, but does reduce neural activity commonly associated with anxiety. If your insomnia is related to anxiety, this may help.
  • 5-HTP - raises your serotonin levels. DO NOT TAKE if you're already taking anything that raises serotonin levels as serotonin syndrome is, uhh, not pleasant (and can kill you)

There are some other supplements (like Valerian root and Ashwaganda root) that are common folk remedies but have little to no evidence of actually doing anything.

If you've done all of the above but still can't get any goddamn sleep, see a doctor.

Get good sleep, goons.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just close your eyes dummies. jeez

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

huh, I knew I was doing something wrong!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have sex until you get tired. :hmmyes:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Have sex until you get tired. :hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I am the Lord Prince of Noon

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Mozi posted:

This is very ableist

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just do what you do to wake up but backwards.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I haven't had a good night's sleep in a fuckin' week. Like two or three hours a night. I assumed by now I'd be so tired I could get at least one full night's in.
Took some pills last night and all they did was make me groggy. Got up to piss at 2 am (after lying awake since 11) and it was rather like being drunk, having to stabilize myself by holding the wall and yet... no sleep. I think I slept between 3 and 4, and 6 to 8.

The heating system in my fuckin' apartment hums all day. I barely notice it during the day but when I'm trying to sleep it sounds like someone's vacuuming outside my bedroom. The only good thing about it is it drowns out my tinnitus. Earplugs barely help. In the past I've found the best thing for me is to have a podcast on that I've already heard (so I don't get actually interested) to give my ears something to focus on that isn't low pitched humming or high pitched buzzing but this last week has just been bullshit.

The weather's been assy but I'm going to try walking more again. Working from home plus pandemic means these days I've only been leaving my place for groceries. Thanks for posting that big-rear end list, SubnormalityStairs... I'm going to try staying up later, too, try and get a bit more tired before actually hitting bed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

my main problem is it takes me forever to go to sleep. even if i get rid of any distractions.

but once i'm asleep i sleep like the dead and not even 12 alarms shall wake me from my unholy slumber

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I am the Forsaken Son of the Eve

Wandering in a wasteland like a hungry ghost

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm lucky if I get more than 3 hours a night. Often that's during the day. I've had sleep problems since I was 6. I used to get out of bed after bedtime and stare out my window for hours, looking at the stars and sometimes watching coyotes run down the road. I've seen some cool meteors in my time.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I haven't had a good night's sleep in a fuckin' week. Like two or three hours a night. I assumed by now I'd be so tired I could get at least one full night's in.
Took some pills last night and all they did was make me groggy. Got up to piss at 2 am (after lying awake since 11) and it was rather like being drunk, having to stabilize myself by holding the wall and yet... no sleep. I think I slept between 3 and 4, and 6 to 8.

The heating system in my fuckin' apartment hums all day. I barely notice it during the day but when I'm trying to sleep it sounds like someone's vacuuming outside my bedroom. The only good thing about it is it drowns out my tinnitus. Earplugs barely help. In the past I've found the best thing for me is to have a podcast on that I've already heard (so I don't get actually interested) to give my ears something to focus on that isn't low pitched humming or high pitched buzzing but this last week has just been bullshit.

The weather's been assy but I'm going to try walking more again. Working from home plus pandemic means these days I've only been leaving my place for groceries. Thanks for posting that big-rear end list, SubnormalityStairs... I'm going to try staying up later, too, try and get a bit more tired before actually hitting bed.

I'm so sorry. I was at a point where I was only getting 2-3h a night (and sometimes loving zero) last year and it loving sucked. Worst thing I've ever been through, and much like you, I didn't think it was a thing that was even possible. It sounds like you're in the phase where insomnia and anxiety are feeding each other. If you're having anxiety, I suggest looking into mindfulness meditation and breathing exercises (4-7-8 breathing has been particularly helpful for me). It sounds like new-age mumbo jumbo, but mindfulness can be really fuckin great just for coping through what is clearly a tough time.

Are you taking anything for the tinnitus?

esperterra posted:

my main problem is it takes me forever to go to sleep. even if i get rid of any distractions.

but once i'm asleep i sleep like the dead and not even 12 alarms shall wake me from my unholy slumber

Stimulus Control Therapy seems to be most helpful for sleep onset latency. Melatonin and/or 5-HTP may help you get to sleep quicker.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I've slept like poo poo lately. Don't want to use my CPAP because if I ever get coronavirus it will increase my wife's chances of getting it by like 1000%.

Thinking about just running until I pass out.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:hmmyes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

promising carl posted:

I've slept like poo poo lately. Don't want to use my CPAP because if I ever get coronavirus it will increase my wife's chances of getting it by like 1000%.

Thinking about just running until I pass out.

Why is your cpap filled with coronavirus

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Diet Poison posted:

i use the 10 hour youtube videos of rain as a way to combat my tinnitus, seems to help keep me asleep when i do eventually drift off

course you run the risk of the youtube ads waking you up, so ymmv

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I fell asleep at 9pm, 'cos I was exhausted. I woke up at 2am. I know I'll be shattered again later in the day but it looks like that's all the sleep I'll be getting right now.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I ran out of linden leaves so no more homemade sleepy-time tea. Worse, I have to get my allergy shots soon so a lot of my chronic pain meds that help me sleep but also happen to have antihistamine properties have to stop for about a week too.

What I'm saying is this thread's gonna be my new home for a while. Hi

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

N. Senada posted:

It was fine I guess

They suck dude, let's just admit it

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
You need to start sleeping on a schedule. Its almost always earlier than you want. I go to bed at 9:00 every day and fall asleep almost instantly. If I miss thst by more than an hour then i won't sleep until 2.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I sleep loving great. I get into bed and I’m snoring before I hit the pillow. Nothing wakes me OP. Nothing but my flawless circadian rhythm. I get the perfect amount of sleep and then on the weekends I get just a little extra. I wake up perfectly rested, ready to conquer the day, and once the day has been conquered I do it again. I’d feel bad for you if only my perfectly rested brain could feel negative emotions. Pity is the best I can do for you.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Evil Bob posted:

I sleep loving great. I get into bed and I’m snoring before I hit the pillow. Nothing wakes me OP. Nothing but my flawless circadian rhythm. I get the perfect amount of sleep and then on the weekends I get just a little extra. I wake up perfectly rested, ready to conquer the day, and once the day has been conquered I do it again. I’d feel bad for you if only my perfectly rested brain could feel negative emotions. Pity is the best I can do for you.

So long as I keep my sleep discipline, same. I get up around 5 like clockwork every day. I don't even need an alarm clock.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Also exercise snd don't eat too much or too late for dinner

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I used to be a miserable habitual insomniac until I cleaned up my habits and now sleep is a solved issue.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
AAAAAAAAAAH my brain won't stop. I've tried to go to bed twice tonight but my brain is all "Hey let's think about this terrible thing about work or maybe about that girl you like why don't you stress out about asking her on a date?"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9VtPauwfM

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

BattleSausage posted:

AAAAAAAAAAH my brain won't stop. I've tried to go to bed twice tonight but my brain is all "Hey let's think about this terrible thing about work or maybe about that girl you like why don't you stress out about asking her on a date?"

Do something quiet and mildkyy tedious like cleaning your room or folding laundry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

No sleep here.

I'm building a 5s system for my department in my head

I'm such a work cuck right now