Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gologle posted:

Why are you saying "us"?

seems pretty obvious to me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this whips rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Met the new Capcom eSports guy, dude seems cool and knows his stuff, feel good about their future with it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blockhouse posted:

I definitely remember somebody saying he was a bodyguard because I got frustrated with that during a stream because everyone was going "RYU'S A SCIENTIST??" over the line that addresses it but gently caress if I'm going to rewatch the MvCI story mode to figure out exactly when

Ken becomes a scientist 25 years after SF4 so why not Ryu also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_IEjkHmeqk

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Barudak posted:

Met the new Capcom eSports guy, dude seems cool and knows his stuff, feel good about their future with it

why

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

MechaX posted:

On the subject of GranBlue, I knew a new balance patch note came out but I was wondering why my discord channels were blowing up.

People complaining about balance changes before getting the chance to play it is pretty standard. But, uh... it seems like almost all of the cast got mostly nerfs and a lot of people haven’t been too thrilled about this

Yeah, I haven't played the game in quite a while and some characters deserved to be nerfed but some of the changes I've seen seem a little boneheaded/too severe, even if it doesn't really affect me anymore. Although the only character I liked to play was Ladiva and since she was one of the characters hit with some big nerfs it really kills my motivation to pick up the game again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

IronicDongz posted:

this whips rear end

im really amazed how much more fun it looks compared to like ps all stars

theres some fun tech in it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
unfortunately this video by the same person seems to imply that the mobility and defensive options are good enough that the game becomes really campy and slow when people know what they're doing

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Belial is neat. Who knows how good he'll end up being, but he's fun to use, and whoever realized he should have glasses for his variant weapons deserves a raise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Belial is neat. Who knows how good he'll end up being, but he's fun to use, and whoever realized he should have glasses for his variant weapons deserves a raise.

https://twitter.com/RubyPassage/status/1308997576478384130?s=20

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chev posted:

It's not the best year for tourneys, as we all know. It's also completely misunderstanding the audience the gacha bonuses are for, kinda like when people (including me) don't get why there's all those gokus in DBFZ (it really is about all the gokus for their main audience) or why Blazblue games are fighting games packaged with such extensive bonus VNs (they're really VNs packaged with extensive bonus fighting games).

The thing with Gokus basically comes down to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPDIwx3xK8&t=71s

...though more unironically in that you're looking at incarnations of a character across a long running series (with a few divergent canons) who have genuinely different fighting styles, strengths and moves, and with their characterisation themed around a particular era of the show with setpieces and lines to match. It's just something a little weird to fighting game players who are used to characters being more or less built around a signature moveset.

It's maybe a little bit comparable to say, Smash Bros having three different Links. (all the Fire Emblems are another story) Or maybe like, wrestlers at different points in their career. Actually, almost exactly like wrestlers at different points in their career. Shonen is basically wrestling but a cartoon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, all the fire emblems are different characters with different personalities and mostly different fighting styles. The only real 'clones' in the FE roster in smash anymore are Marth and Lucina and Lucina spends half her game pretending to be Marth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

pre timeskip undertaker

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

pre timeskip undertaker

ultra instinct john cena

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Young Hulk Hogan, Classic Hulk Hogan, Fallen Hogan (WCW)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nearly every fighting game is on sale on PS4 including the rare kof14 sale ($16)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smoking Crow posted:

Nearly every fighting game is on sale on PS4 including the rare kof14 sale ($16)

Will your game library from ps4 be transferred to ps5? I may pick up some goofy games to bring to locals/hangouts for once those come back.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't think so but sony did say they're still supporting ps4 for ~the next 3 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Young Hulk Hogan, Classic Hulk Hogan, Fallen Hogan (WCW)

I'd be surprised if WWE hadn't at least thought of this, but probably ran into licensing issues.

Endorph posted:

I mean, all the fire emblems are different characters with different personalities and mostly different fighting styles. The only real 'clones' in the FE roster in smash anymore are Marth and Lucina and Lucina spends half her game pretending to be Marth.

I feel it's more a thing that Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom are also the same in-game character class or a clear equivalent of such, and besides Roy are even technically using the same sword, so them having near-identical fighting styles is fairly fitting. Though I also figured that they never necessarily intended to have all of them in the same game. Ike playing differently does make sense since he's a different class in his games (albiet still a fairly similar sword user), and Robin, Corrin, and Byleth are deliberate breaks from the mould of Fire Emblem protagonists both in their own games and in Smash. (Robin in particular making an effort to represent more variety of Fire Emblem mechanics and flavour with the magic and Levin Sword)

I don't really play fighting games myself, being awful at them, but the design philosophies interest me. Fighting games do actually seem to lend themselves to licensing, though it has to be done RIGHT. (that said, being cheap, janky and yet solid at its core is very on brand for Shrek)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Will your game library from ps4 be transferred to ps5? I may pick up some goofy games to bring to locals/hangouts for once those come back.

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't think so but sony did say they're still supporting ps4 for ~the next 3 years

I don't think this is true. From what I heard it has basic backwards-compatibility with 99% of the PS4's library. Just that it won't be enhanced in any way and PS4 controllers won't work in PS5 games.

On the other hand, that thing is massive, as big and heavy as bigass PC towers. Can't imagine anyone lugging those around for events.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think this is true. From what I heard it has basic backwards-compatibility with 99% of the PS4's library. Just that it won't be enhanced in any way and PS4 controllers won't work in PS5 games.

On the other hand, that thing is massive, as big and heavy as bigass PC towers. Can't imagine anyone lugging those around for events.

The good news is that licensed accessories like arcade sticks are confirmed to work, just not the DS4s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should just be able to sign in with your PSN account and download anything that's compatible, which should be most things.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The good news is that licensed accessories like arcade sticks are confirmed to work, just not the DS4s

is that true across the board or only on a case by case basis like with the lab zero PS3 driver

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Saoshyant posted:

"In an interview with The Washington Post, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan explained that Sony will continue to support the PlayStation 4 for three to four years after the launch of the PlayStation 5."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

is that true across the board or only on a case by case basis like with the lab zero PS3 driver

Any PS4 accessory should work, for PS4 games. PS5 games are a different ballgame.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should just be able to sign in with your PSN account and download anything that's compatible, which should be most things.

Hell yeah

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there’s only one usb-a adapter on the front of the ps5 so either TOs are going to need to provide adapters or they’ll have to turn the system around backwards to get to the ones on the back

also for the love of god please make controller desyncing painless

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FGC should just make the leap to pc, if the consoles are going to have all the problems of a pc with none of the benefits. Plenty of tourneys get run on laptops and computers already, why not embrace it

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure no new console is gonna have random background programs clogging stuff up and getting jitter that some pissed off rando will use as an excuse to rerun every match on that setup, no matter what the stick compatibility situation looks like.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MechaX posted:

I am watching vids of Max going through MvC:I's story mode for his second time;

So let me get this straight, Ryu probably can't drive and can't even use a computer, but he's out here with Bruce Banner studying dimensional anomalies?

I thought the point was that Ryu was helping Banner deal with his Hulk poo poo. Ryu went through the whole Satsui no Hado business, so he's there to help Banner control his rage and keep Hulk coherent.

euphemism posted:

guilty gears story is somehow less comprehensible than like the first half of blazblue's which is an amazing feat honestly

I feel like Guilty Gear has a fairly simple core story (there was a big Skynet-meets-Magneto war, it sucked, we're past it, but people keep plotting to bring it back), but the characters themselves are so batshit that it's hard to keep track of what's going on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like that That Man was set up as the main antagonist for years and it turns out he's not even evil Sol just hates his loving guts

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

FGC should just make the leap to pc, if the consoles are going to have all the problems of a pc with none of the benefits. Plenty of tourneys get run on laptops and computers already, why not embrace it

absolutely no way until we figure out controller compatibility. and remember, pc has its own share of idiocy like last year's melty blood evo top 8 had to be delayed because the TO forgot to plug in his laptop and it died

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 24, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gavok posted:

I thought the point was that Ryu was helping Banner deal with his Hulk poo poo. Ryu went through the whole Satsui no Hado business, so he's there to help Banner control his rage and keep Hulk coherent.

Yeah, that's the impression I got, especially from their little remarks when they murder hunt the Dah'ren Moran

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Smoking Crow posted:

absolutely no way until we figure out controller compatibility. and remember, pc has its own share of idiocy like last year's melty blood evo top 8 had to be delayed because the TO forgot to plug in his laptop and it died

For real 100% of the time I went to anything that was running on PC there was some crazy controller nonsense happened.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blockhouse posted:

I like that That Man was set up as the main antagonist for years and it turns out he's not even evil Sol just hates his loving guts

I like how Sol's power creep over the years made his rivalry with Ky moot until the end of the last game when Ky was all, "All those fights between us were just sparring between rivals. If you wanted an actual fight, I would have stabbed you in the throat in half a second."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Humorous of Ky to assume stabbing Sol in the throat would do anything more than mildly inconvenience him and piss him off

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gavok posted:

I like how Sol's power creep over the years made his rivalry with Ky moot until the end of the last game when Ky was all, "All those fights between us were just sparring between rivals. If you wanted an actual fight, I would have stabbed you in the throat in half a second."

i like how rev 2's story mode was like

ky and sol hash out their relationship

venom has an emotional moment talking about his relationship with zato, millia and slayer

zappa solves a cake mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Any PS4 accessory should work, for PS4 games. PS5 games are a different ballgame.

From Sony's mouth actually:

quote:

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games

So arcade sticks should work with ps5 games as well.

Dual shock PS4 controllers will only work with PS4 games if at all, you'll need a dual shock 5 controller to use those

The link's here actually: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

At least, as far as I can tell