Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
monster hunter world is so good it got me to play older monster hunter games which are 8x more cumbersome and finicky just because it got its hooks in me so deeply. i've never seen a series go from "what is that" to "one of my favorites" so fast for so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah a good example of a legitimately amazing game previously held back by weird controls (the CLAW) and not being on mainstream consoles til now.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'll say this every time it comes up: somewhere along the line they weren't content with just remaking the game and decided they wanted to turn it into an interactive new episode of the old cartoon series which, yes, bogs the pacing down horribly. You can skip just about all the cutscenes via pause -> skip, but even the number of times you have to hit the 'skip' button in a single level borders on comical.

The much bigger issue with the game is that several months out from launch it suddenly developed a habit of freezing on the final boss for a lot of people, seemingly something to do with an nVidia driver update which was never fixed so if you have an nVidia card I hope it's old enough that you can dig up drivers from 2013 and roll back to them.

The real cherry on this particular "what the gently caress even are computers" sundae is that this issue that I absolutely could not get around in Windows was mysteriously resolved by running it through Wine on a Linux install on the same desktop. :confuoot:

i didnt get a crash when i beat it just now.

.. the credits are unskippable lol. it's been like 5 minutes.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Don't play Monster Hunter World, because it'll ruin all other melee combat in games for you. Swinging your weapon will feel like tickling people with a feather duster, and enemies will all seem simple, bland, and boring in comparison.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Triarii posted:

Don't play Monster Hunter World, because it'll ruin all other melee combat in games for you. Swinging your weapon will feel like tickling people with a feather duster, and enemies will all seem simple, bland, and boring in comparison.

I bought HZD at drat near full price, and after playing for a couple dozen hours, it made me miss Monster Hunter so I've played over a hundred hours in the past month

:negative:

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 24, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nthing the Monster Hunter World recommendations. It's so good and it's so absurdly full of content.

Quick question: I've been playing Disgaea 5 lately and I love it, particularly the bit where you have a crapton of unique characters (thanks all the integrated DLC) and you can just grind them up at your leisure even after the story ends. Are there any other RPGs with medium/large rosters that allow for that kind of thing? I know very little of post-PS2 RPGs.

Edit: I've played Darkest Dungeon, most Fire Emblem titles, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. I've loved all that stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I first got Monster Hunter World, I dived in deep and had a blast. I'd run around, see a monster, rush up and then start hopping and flying about with my copter/staff/blade thing, dodging attacks and slipping and sliding and moving all over the place.

Stopped playing for a few months, decided to jump back in and oh God I forgot everything and lost all my skills and now I've left my hunter chilling in his nice bedroom with all the pets he's found and his little cat friend because I can't dedicate the time to relearning everything all over again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I couldn't get past what I saw as the extreme simplicity of the MHW combat but that's very much a me problem that most people don't seem to agree on, couple people, that's it really. It's mostly disappointing to me cause so much of the rest of that game is exactly up my alley and it just oozes care in creation.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

When I first got Monster Hunter World, I dived in deep and had a blast. I'd run around, see a monster, rush up and then start hopping and flying about with my copter/staff/blade thing, dodging attacks and slipping and sliding and moving all over the place.

Stopped playing for a few months, decided to jump back in and oh God I forgot everything and lost all my skills and now I've left my hunter chilling in his nice bedroom with all the pets he's found and his little cat friend because I can't dedicate the time to relearning everything all over again.

Something similar happened to me, what I did was pick a weapon to learn/relearn and then go into LR/HR (I was in MR by then) missions and help newer players out. You get useful stuff from the helper system, plus materials you might need at some point in the future while also being in a very low-risk environment for you to practice in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was recently reminded of that Endless Ocean alike Beyond Blue that got a trailer a bit ago and I guess it actually got released shortly after that?

For $20 I’m not expecting a massive game but did anyone try it out?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

I couldn't get past what I saw as the extreme simplicity of the MHW combat but that's very much a me problem that most people don't seem to agree on, couple people, that's it really. It's mostly disappointing to me cause so much of the rest of that game is exactly up my alley and it just oozes care in creation.

can't say "too simple" is a complaint I have ever seen about monster hunter before

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

can't say "too simple" is a complaint I have ever seen about monster hunter before

It's definitely a me problem, I've seen the ridiculous stuff people who are silly good at the game can pull off but to me the combat kinda boils down to a handful of attacks per weapon, you do them fifty times to kill a monster, I always flare out on interest around low HR the three times I've tried it. :shrug:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Orv posted:

It's definitely a me problem, I've seen the ridiculous stuff people who are silly good at the game can pull off but to me the combat kinda boils down to a handful of attacks per weapon, you do them fifty times to kill a monster, I always flare out on interest around low HR the three times I've tried it. :shrug:

I feel you tbh. I get bored whacking on monsters so long to kill them, it's just adhd or something idk. I 100% get why people enjoy it, just not for me?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I remember back when I first played the game that I thought it was a bit clunky, especially coming fresh from Bloodborne. I was also using Greatsword, which didn't help matters. Nowadays I think the gameplay aspect that keeps pulling me in is that you are always matching your available moves in any given situation to the moveset of the monster you're currently fighting. The fact most weapons have to really commit to their attacks gives it a certain strategic feel that I just can't help but love. That said yeah, the combat is not for everyone. I certainly bounced the hell off of the pre-World games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Everyone who finds the combat simple needs to try the charge blade , switch axe, and insect glaive. (Lance also maybe ) Then push at least until you fight nergigante. Everything up until then is a tutorial. The weapons aren't really the heastt of the combat - the monsters are. The weapons are just you choosing the tempo of the fight.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Orv posted:

Yeah I don't know if it's how some people approach games but I was surprised when I saw people finding combat too rote. This person in particular just knew a formula for Insect Glaive: "Get self buff -> Jumping attacks like crazy -> ground attacks when they're down -> Repeat until monster dead".

And on one level, it's hard to deny that 'click enemy until dead' (per FPS chatter) is technically correct for most games when you boil them down but I feel like the enjoyment is the dynamic nature of encounters. Yes: 'hit monster, don't get hit' is the name of the game, but each monster has their own traits to learn, locales to learn the tricks of, each weapon has its own moveset, advantages, and disadvantages.

Here's a random clip I'm just showing to someone else:

https://i.imgur.com/u9nDZ10.mp4

This isn't flashy rear end bayonetta poo poo, but after 10+ minutes of duking it out with this annoying rear end in a top hat Azure Rathalos, and his rear end bothering me with fire and poison, it was such a satisfying feeling smacking him down from the skies with a slam->burstfire, and then blasting his face with a wyvern fire. There's nothing procedural about the combat to me, because countless moments like this happen even in the most mundane fights.

I can understand using a formula, but it's clearly just a hinderance to your own enjoyment to perceive the entire game that way. Try some different weapons, strategies, loadouts, just enough to make sure you dislike the whole game enough to drop it.

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 24, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I gave up on mhw after completing the he stuff up to the final boss of the first game after playing a hammer main and don't get me wrong I love hammer but there is a repetitiveness to it's actions, even if you are spending a lot of your time somersault nailing monsters with a hammer as big as you. When I came back for iceborne I decided to use my time replaying to learn charge blade and instantly fell in love. Every other game without a sword and shield that can stack together into a giant axe feels like it is missing a vital ingredient now.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I posted this a long time ago, but I think it's the favorite screenshot I have of Monster Hunter World.

Been a while since I played. I should pick it back up sometime. Haven't even tried the expansion yet.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I love seeing the monsters fight each other.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Monster Hunter combat has some very annoying features like the way attacks root you to the ground, which is difficult to learn to deal with coming from more dynamic combat systems. One thing I can't say I ever felt about it is that it's simplistic, though. It takes some real effort to master everything that your weapon can do and there are so many of them. I eventually got stuck on the Charge Blade because it's just so much fun to use and the sheer variety of different situational attacks is pretty staggering.

Seconding the "everything before the end of the base game is basically just a tutorial" thing, though. You don't really know what a proper fight is until at least your first Elder Dragon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

:same:

I couldn't get into any of the weapons so I just used dual daggers which is just mindlessly mash attack and then dodge when you need to dodge.

Don't find repitiously grinding the same fight dozens of times hoping for a specific part to drop to be fun at all.

I had fun playing in a group as friends but like I see people who have hundreds of kills for any single monster and it blows my mind that's something someone would actively choose to do :psyduck:

Like it's a cool idea for a game but it practice in misses the mark by a wide margin for me :/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
MHW is beautiful and made with love and packed full of content, but I just can't commit to how long each fight takes, and how many of my strong, powerful attacks do no visible damage and have no visible effect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MHW was fun for awhile but I don't understand why people would want to play Diablo only about 30x slower. The load times were also unforgiveable on PS4. Boring!!!!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I mean, part of what makes the repetition worth it is learning to master every aspect of your weapon, refining your hunting prowess and adapting to surprises, so if you fundamentally can't get into the weapons, a lot of that is just lost. I can see how that makes the game less appealing, sure.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm watching some gameplay of the new Serious Sam game, a series I love, and this time around it has perks and enemy health bars. am I being needlessly cynical when I say I don't see how they can accommodate that RPGification to the series or am I forgetting something the old games had? i only played 1/2 but I played the poo poo outta them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HopperUK posted:

MHW is beautiful and made with love and packed full of content, but I just can't commit to how long each fight takes, and how many of my strong, powerful attacks do no visible damage and have no visible effect.

Are you playing solo or in groups? MHW is probably one of my top 3 games of all time, and the biggest tip I can give is that playing solo significantly speeds up fights. Like, a monster that takes 15-20 minutes to kill with a group can be killed in 5-10 solo because its health is less than 25% of what it is with a group, you can trigger status effects more often and there's (hopefully) no dead weight in your party slowing you down. It also makes your powerful attacks feel way more powerful because you're far more likely to make the monster flinch

There are some event quests that require a group and take longer (Safi'Jiva and Kulve usually require 2 runs, one a full 20 minutes and the other 10-15 minutes) but you can ignore them if you're okay with not having easy access to some best in slot weapons. The difference between a best in slot weapon and a second-best in slot weapon is a few seconds on the kill time of a pro speedrunner

I can totally see how Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, but it hits the mark so precisely for me it's absurd. Literally no 3rd person action game has better combat or minute to minute gameplay, it's the only 3rd person action game I can legitimately consider "tactical". It's a game about overcoming human limitations to triumph over impossible challenges, and learning to work within the framework of what your character can't do is what it's all about. It doesn't give you a tool for every situation, because it expects you to focus on putting yourself in good situations. It's slow-paced, calculated and methodical, and it often requires you to learn, escape and prepare rather than just keep pushing forward and swinging a sword. The Fashion Hunter aspect is a nice bonus :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 24, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can totally see how Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, but it hits the mark so precisely for me it's absurd. Literally no 3rd person action game has better combat or minute to minute gameplay, it's the only 3rd person action game I can legitimately consider "tactical". It's a game about overcoming human limitations to triumph over impossible challenges, and learning to work within the framework of what your character can't do is what it's all about. It doesn't give you a tool for every situation, because it expects you to focus on putting yourself in good situations. It's slow-paced, calculated and methodical, and it often requires you to learn, escape and prepare rather than just keep pushing forward and swinging a sword.

What you described was not really the Monster Hunter experience to me (too many gathering egg missions) but this is 100% STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The difference between a best in slot weapon and a second-best in slot weapon is a few seconds on the kill time of a pro speedrunner

This is my other problem with the series, conceptually :v: Because it's a skill based game it doesn't even feel rewarding to get new gear because it hardly makes a difference. Why grind Nerg a dozen times trying to get his Horn or whatever it was that refused to drop for me, if all that'll do is make the next fight 10 seconds faster.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

This is my other problem with the series, conceptually :v: Because it's a skill based game it doesn't even feel rewarding to get new gear because it hardly makes a difference. Why grind Nerg a dozen times trying to get his Horn or whatever it was that refused to drop for me, if all that'll do is make the next fight 10 seconds faster.

This is something I can understand the divisiveness about too, but it's one of my absolute favorite parts of the game in a way that doesn't become apparent unless you get into the end-game and then become interested in min/maxing end-game builds. Here's a big post full of nerdy words because I'm really passionate about this aspect of the game and there's nothing else quite like it out there.

End-game MHW build making is like putting a puzzle together. There's often not a clear answer on what's "best" overall, it's more about finding ways to make things work with the pieces you have. If you upgrade one piece of gear, that can sometimes mean switching out every other piece of your build to make up for the skills you lost in the upgrade (and the skills you lost from the following changes you made). What weapon to use is part of this. You can make a build that's comparably strong to the best builds rather easily, so that power level is achievable to everyone, which is why it can remain skill-based.

Where the weapons come into play is when you want to get creative with your builds. For example the Insect Glaive which I've been playing most recently:

"Best in Slot" is a Raging Brachydios IG (Lightbreak Press or whatever it's called) - It does blast damage but the general consensus is to ignore elements on Insect Glaives and focus on building high raw damage.

Raging Brachydios is one of the hardest fights in the game, so the general consensus for runner-up is a Raw Damage Safi'Jiva glaive - Savi'Jiva weapons have unique drop and upgrade mechanics so getting this weapon and putting it together in the first place is a pretty big time/luck investment. There are multiple different chocies for how to upgrade it - 1 sharpness, 2 crit and 2 raw for a Master's Touch build (ignore weapon sharpness mechanic), 1 sharpness 4 raw for a higher damage build that has to deal with sharpness, etc.

But okay so let's say you want to get a little more creative. You can technically slightly edge out either one against lots of monsters by using an Elemental Build using a Kulve glaive (high element damage and built-in Critical element) and a build tailored specifically for the monster you're fighting. Most players ignore this because the non-elemental options are so close that it's not going to make a major difference in kill speed. But there's a lot more involved here than just switching out the weapon. You also need to switch out gear and decorations to max out your element damage skill, which means that you lose other necessary skills and you have to find new ways to fit them into your build. So I had to drop gear with several ranks of Agitatior and a couple ranks of Critical Eye to get 6 ranks in Thunder Attack - do I want to fit those Agitator slots in elsewhere to max it again? Maybe I should just drop all of my Agitator levels instead and go for something that takes less slots like Coalescence - yeah, that sounds good. Okay, I need to change helmets to drop the rest of Agitator. But then I also lose another rank of Critical Eye. I don't want to lose max Crit Eye, so now where can I work those skills in? I can add more Crit Eye decorations but then I lose the 4th point of Attack Boost that's giving me 5% crit. I may as well drop the other 3 points now. What can I replace them with? Oh, I guess I have 2 points on my boots, I can swap those out for something that has more Crit Eye. Now I don't need all these Crit Eye decorations...

And that kind of puzzle solving is half of what I love about the game. Yeah, the element build I'm working on will have no discernable difference in power compared to a Raging Brachy raw blast glaive build that everyone else runs, but it's going to be unique to me and not just a build I looked up on the internet, tweaking it is a constant work in progress and it's a type of problem that I enjoy the process of solving.

e: And then add the additional layer of looking stylish in the armor you chose for your build :colbert: That can influence weapon choice quite a lot

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 24, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

What you described was not really the Monster Hunter experience to me (too many gathering egg missions) but this is 100% STREETS OF RAGE!!!
If I had to classify MHW as anything it'd be a 3d brawler. Even the complicated combo strings aren't anything special and the entire game is moving out of the way of an animation to do your animation at the thing now animation locked, while avoiding being animation locked in front of a thing doing an animation. Just like Streets of Rage!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah but about 50x slower and taking an hour to kill anything instead of 3 seconds. No combo meter = no thanks!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Daggers and to an extent longsword have a combo meter :colbert:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My biggest problem with MHW, at the end of the day, is that so many of the female-body armors look dumb as hell, and not in a fun way (but ymmv).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

MHW was fun for awhile but I don't understand why people would want to play Diablo only about 30x slower.

I just... I don't... what is... I'm not.... what?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Maybe, like cilantro, some people just can't perceive of how fun and satisfying the dozens (hundreds?) of components in monster hunter world are. I don't blame you for it, but it's so sad that you all are tasting soap rather than having fun with a good game. :smith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

End-game MHW build making is like putting a puzzle together. There's often not a clear answer on what's "best" overall, it's more about finding ways to make things work with the pieces you have. If you upgrade one piece of gear, that can sometimes mean switching out every other piece of your build to make up for the skills you lost in the upgrade (and the skills you lost from the following changes you made). What weapon to use is part of this. You can make a build that's comparably strong to the best builds rather easily, so that power level is achievable to everyone, which is why it can remain skill-based.

And that kind of puzzle solving is half of what I love about the game. Yeah, the element build I'm working on will have no discernable difference in power compared to a Raging Brachy raw blast glaive build that everyone else runs, but it's going to be unique to me and not just a build I looked up on the internet, tweaking it is a constant work in progress and it's a type of problem that I enjoy the process of solving.

See now I like reading about all this kind of stuff as it sounds really fun to me, I like complex RPG kind of mechanics and coming up with builds in games. But yea I just don't love the actual implementations of it. I think if someone made "What if Monster Hunter but with more typical RPG class/archetypes" I'd probably be all over it as a game that needs to be played in a group. I just don't like the "whack whack whack dodge whack whack whack go chase it because it ran away whack whack whack" gameplay. But if there was more defined healer-damage-tank types of party roles I'd be really interested. Basically small-scale MMO boss fights, but with more poop bombs and traps and the cool fun things MH brings to the table

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like if you played Monster Hunter World and bounced off it, you just didn't try the right weapon.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I bounced off MHW because an individual battle, at least early on, felt like it took forever to me. Fun game and I can see the appeal but I didn't manage to reach the exponentially getting stronger while upgrading gear bit :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's pretty simple - in a game that 100% revolves around combat, I like the combat to very easy to get into, load it up and you're right into the action, zero bullshit. With an epic 100-hour action-adventure RPG I can totally accept there being some downtime to take in the scenery, for dialogue and character, that sort of thing, but when I'm playing an action game I just want it to be fast. While I can see the appeal that MHW has to people, for me there was way too much downtime, and the action is entirely too slow. It's cool to reach the end of a hard-won fight but I like it when that lasts maybe 5 minutes, not 20. I also made the mistake of playing it on PS4 where the load times were obscenely slow, that just kills any momentum in an combat-oriented game. I was also annoyed by the unremappable controls and horrible radial potion bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Same for me. I only tried the older MH, and it feels like a camping trip for deer hunting than fighting on the ring.

That’s why I prefer God Eater.