Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Just watched The Stuff. It's so drat clunky but a classic case of fun outweighing all other factors. Such a great idea with a truly bizarro script that doesn't focus on the organic execution of that concept, and it was clearly either made in or chopped to hell in editing.

But it's got a great blob monsters and some very fun consumerist skewering and there's some genuinely clever and original sequences.

I just love the way The Stuff opens where dude, just finds it coming out of the ground and has a sip.

The Stuff is also the movie that made me wish I could take a week long vacation in 1987.

Hollismason posted:

The whole movie is ahead of its time really, it could be called a proto CSI and all the myriad of different "forensic" cop shows where evidence is used and there's a real focus on the forensic science of the movie. From the forensic guy doing the photo of the tissue paper, to the teeth marks, everything about it.

Its just such a good film.

I also like how both Manhunter and CSI star William Peterson, so you could probably make an argument that it's a prequel to CSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Are the Hammer horror films streaming anywhere?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Senator Giroux posted:

A number of them are available to rent on Amazon, but none of the good ones are streaming for free anywhere really.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Is Devil All the Time a spook-a-doodle? I'm excited to check it out but I'll save it for the challenge if it is.

While I haven't seen it (yet), I've had several friends tell me it should count towards the October Challenge. So yes, it will count this year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Senator Giroux posted:

The rights for Hammer seem to be a mess, it's all over the place. Like, even when TCM shows certain Hammer films, it'll be blacked out on YoutubeTV because of rights issues. It effects physical media too, so we've never had the option to just buy one big comprehensive Hammer set. Instead you end up with smaller sets that have like one Dracula sequel mixed in with other random stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hammer's YouTube channel has some stuff up for free.

Iron Crowned posted:

I just love the way The Stuff opens where dude, just finds it coming out of the ground and has a sip.

For sure, it's so dumb but so effective.

When that scene came on I thought "who thought it was a good idea to film this scene about a white substance bubbling out of the earth in a location covered in snow that makes it barely discernible?" Then I watched an interview with Cohen said it started snowing and they wanted to get the scene shot so they just incorporated it and improvised a few lines around it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Kvlt! Challenge: Rob Zombie's Filmography + All 3 August Underground movies

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Origami Dali posted:

https://archive.org/details/possession.1981.1080p.brrip.x264.aacetrg

I streamed it from here with friends a few days ago. Great copy.

Nice find! I'm pumped.

DeimosRising posted:

Idgi what’s the problem

It's not that I don't enjoy Noonan's performances, I actually like them a lot. I just always see Tom Noonan first, and the character second. It may just be due to the types of roles in which he's cast. I have a similar mindset with John C. McGinley.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Well I think I only saw the first AU movie so okay

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Where are you finding this? I'm interested.

All over Youtube, with and without accompaniment. It's a remarkable film for 1911.

Kvlt! posted:

I thought there were more than 3???

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Well I think I only saw the first AU movie so okay

DO IT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All over Youtube, with and without accompaniment. It's a remarkable film for 1911.

I thought there were more than 3???

Nope there's only 3. Toetag has done other movies but there's only 3 AU.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My mood when I have to read all of the AU reviews in the Challenge thread: :smithicide:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

One More Day !

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

My mood when I have to read all of the AU reviews in the Challenge thread: :smithicide:

I'll watch them today so that I don't have to include them in the challenge thread

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna buckle today and start watching movies. I just won't log them, which isn't a problem because I always watch 50+ anyway.

In late September when I get inpatient about October I like to watch The Wicker Man, because it fits perfectly as a movie to mark the changing of the season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'll watch them today so that I don't have to include them in the challenge thread

Nah, you can do them for the challenge; I just thought it'd be funny to imagine reading a bunch of AU reviews for a thread.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jedit posted:

Where are you finding this? I'm interested.

YouTube. There are about five separate uploads. This is the one I'm leaning towards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUkyHvsvfg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I"m a giant dummy, and posted in the COVID thread

Iron Crowned posted:

I need some roommate friendly Spook-a-doodle suggestions. She's a bit more open to horror than she thinks she is, and I've had good luck slipping in some Carpenter on occasion.
Basically it shouldn't be too gory, and probably not supernatural, and definitely can't contain any dog attacks (thanks Green Room).

Some movies she's enjoyed:
- Assault on Precinct 13
- Christine
- Halloween (I think)
- Escape from New York (does this count?)
- They Live
- Blue Ruin
- Crawl

EDIT:
She does seem to like revenge movies, and brings up I Spit on Your Grave a lot for some reason.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Revenge

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The past times I've done this I've always ended up watching some real garbage, so this year I'm aiming to only watch stuff I have a reason to believe won't be horrible.

But man, those 8 horror movies for five dollars sets they have at HPB keep tempting me. You know I've never even seen a single Len Kabasinski movie...

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Iron Crowned, I will always suggest that people watch Blood And Black Lace. God that movie rules so hard.

EDIT: oh and also for revenge movies, The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a real campy and fun one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lumbermouth posted:

Iron Crowned, I will always suggest that people watch Blood And Black Lace. God that movie rules so hard.

EDIT: oh and also for revenge movies, The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a real campy and fun one.

I like the cut of your jib.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is it dogs attacking or dogs dying she won't watch?
Theatre of Blood is my favourite Price and it's about revenge, but she better not have a particular love of poodles.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

The past times I've done this I've always ended up watching some real garbage, so this year I'm aiming to only watch stuff I have a reason to believe won't be horrible.

But man, those 8 horror movies for five dollars sets they have at HPB keep tempting me. You know I've never even seen a single Len Kabasinski movie...

Sounds like you know what you need to do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I so badly want the four-disc blu box set of Escape From New York. I have the other three Carpenter boxes but I missed that one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

Revenge

100% this

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I"m a giant dummy, and posted in the COVID thread

Ms. 45
Housebound
Creep
Magic
Dead & Buried
The Vanishing (aka Spoorloos)
Diabolique (French film)
Whatever Happenend To Baby Jane?
Come To Daddy isn't super gory, but what it has is a little gross. Still, it feels more like a Coen Bros horror comedy than.

For another Carpenter, In The Mouth of Madness, although it's very supernatural in a Lovecraftian way.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is House of Forbidden Secrets good? It looks terrible but it has a score by Fabio Frizzi

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

Is House of Forbidden Secrets good? It looks terrible but it has a score by Fabio Frizzi

Ask yourself: does it even matter? The score is probably gonna be enough.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ask yourself: does it even matter? The score is probably gonna be enough.

you're right, I'm adding it to the list!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dunno why I thought "while watching AU: Mordum" would be a good time to eat breakfast

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dunno why I thought "while watching AU: Mordum" would be a good time to eat breakfast

I like watching movies while eating, but I've learned in the last year or two to maybe not eat while watching a horror movie. I'll find a short film or something to watch while eating before putting on a horror movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Is it dogs attacking or dogs dying she won't watch?
Theatre of Blood is my favourite Price and it's about revenge, but she better not have a particular love of poodles.

Dog attacks for sure, that's a good way to get her to go do something else instead, which might not be sub-optimal, if I wanna be left alone, but I'll also hear about it months (Green Room), or years later (some movie on Broadcast TV a few years back).

Franchescanado posted:

Ms. 45
Housebound
Creep
Magic
Dead & Buried
The Vanishing (aka Spoorloos)
Diabolique (French film)
Whatever Happenend To Baby Jane?
Come To Daddy isn't super gory, but what it has is a little gross. Still, it feels more like a Coen Bros horror comedy than.

For another Carpenter, In The Mouth of Madness, although it's very supernatural in a Lovecraftian way.

I feel like Creep would be out, but I love Come to Daddy, although I think I watched it for the challenge earlier this year.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my fiancee is in mortuary school and I had to get used to watching autopsy vids while we ate 😭

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

my fiancee is in mortuary school and I had to get used to watching autopsy vids while we ate 😭

Well this certainly is a new wrinkle in the Kvlt! story. A fiancee in mortuary school, it sounds like a match made in heaven.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

you're right, I'm adding it to the list!

All you even need for a good Italian horror flick is a great title and a great score.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

This is the most on brand Kvlt! thing I've ever read

Also when's the wedding, can I come? Boston's not that far

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Dog attacks for sure, that's a good way to get her to go do something else instead, which might not be sub-optimal, if I wanna be left alone, but I'll also hear about it months (Green Room), or years later (some movie on Broadcast TV a few years back).

I feel like Creep would be out, but I love Come to Daddy, although I think I watched it for the challenge earlier this year.

Just curious, why is Creep out? It's arguably the most tame of the movies I mentioned, besides maybe Housebound or Magic?

Basebf555 posted:

Well this certainly is a new wrinkle in the Kvlt! story. A fiancee in mortuary school, it sounds like a match made in heaven.

Babies marrying babies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"had to"

:rolleyes: sure, sure, sure, you loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Revenge

Revenge owns, I don't even normally care for revenge movies but it knocks it out of the park