Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Donnerberg posted:

Also, we're getting another Serious Sam on the 24th. It's the fourth one, maybe fifth one? Serious Sams numbering scheme is weird. Nothing since Second Encounter has looked fun anyway, other than the pixel RPG parody a few years ago, but this trailer had me at AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iok7lSET91Q

The time is right. DOOM has shown that the classic shooter genre isn't where nostalgia has to die. All Sam needs to do is not crawl up his own rear end like Duke Nukem. I want to run backwards and dump infinite ammo into an endless horde with a couple of friends. If they can capture that mayhem again... One can hope, right?

I am so hype for this. The Legion System they mad to get as many enemies on screen as possible is awesome -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaqlJAovzXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

Hashy posted:

-The range on guns before you upgrade your character is very limited, forcing you to get in close

Thank you. The other things you posted are fine for figuring out on my own (or upthread comments) but basic stuff like what I quoted was exactly what I'm getting hung up on. For example that logic applies to rogue-likes while I would expect it to behave like a gun in an fps.

Maybe Doom Eternal spoiled me with stopping everything to explain the controls :v:

_____! fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 19, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

TheParadigm posted:

Its not exactly a NEW release but it got more attention because of a recent humble bundle thing this year.

Battle chasers nightwar has phenomenal art and decent writing, even if its a bit of a traditional RPG experience.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/451020/Battle_Chasers_Nightwar/

fake edit: apparently its on a random sale too?

I'll give that a try.
Sounds good at only 6 bux.
Thanks

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Even though I suck and die to drauger almost every time I am enjoying the poo poo out of BPM.

All the music is also on spotify and it's great.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BPM isn't for everyone, but if it's for you you'll loving love every second

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Its not exactly a NEW release but it got more attention because of a recent humble bundle thing this year.

Battle chasers nightwar has phenomenal art and decent writing, even if its a bit of a traditional RPG experience.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/451020/Battle_Chasers_Nightwar/

fake edit: apparently its on a random sale too?

It's fun as hell on the Switch too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
BPM is real fun!
I won once (on easy) after I got a super overpowered pair of boots of chaos that seemed to just cause random enemies to explode every couple of beats and could clear out rooms on their own. Plus the shield that gives you a regenerating 25 armor. Seems hard to get far without some kind of sustainable source of healing like that or the heal spell or the lifesteal circlet. You'd have to play a lot more perfectly in most rooms than I did, at least.

I'll second that other poster who mentioned FPS issues though. It must have a memory leak or something because it performs just fine early on but the longer a run lasts the worse it gets.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Freedom Fighters just released on GOG after being locked in legal limbo for 15 odd years, this is technically a "fresh release" right?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308039353302568962

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody remember the movie "We Are The Strange"? The guy who made that just released a game?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1355310/Nightmare_Puppeteer/
https://nightmarepuppeteer.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYFM0kH-eGw

Looking forward to seeing what kind of weird poo poo people make with this.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Electric Zine Maker is pay-what-you-want and is a pretty fun way to create and share simple quirky graphic design. If you have nostalgia for fooling around in KidPix and messing around with family photos in Kai's Power Goo, or if you loved the aesthetics of Hypnospace Outlaw, it hits that mark just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_waZiM_50

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge is now free on Steam for its 30th anniversary in a really good version that lets you mix and match the gaudy Windows 3.1 era graphics.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

WOHOO! Look what just got released!

whoops nope, not another loving halo port.

BUT

SOLDAT 2 entered EA!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/474220/Soldat_2/

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256802014/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1600795801

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

al-azad posted:

Classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge is now free on Steam for its 30th anniversary in a really good version that lets you mix and match the gaudy Windows 3.1 era graphics.

I checked this out and wow the Win 3.1 graphics are incredibly gaudy. It's got some clever puzzles too, I'll have fun untangling them!

and eyyy more Halo for the Halo pile, looking forward to marathoning the whole series when they're done patching it all in.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
13 Sentinels released today. It’s from Vanillaware, the makers of Odin Sphere, dragon crown, etc. So far it’s..... weird. Giant mech battles intermixed with a kind of point and click choose your own adventure with 13 main characters and lots of time travel is just a lot to keep up with. It’s also somehow even more non-linear than Odin Sphere was.

I think I’m going to like it but right now I’m mostly confused

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Yeah the story of 13 Sentinels seems to be designed to be as opaque as possible. You need to jump back and forth between thirteen protagonists, some of which go by different names depending on the circumstances. There's time travel, alternate universes, and memory rewriting. The story is told out of order. At one point, there is a scene that takes place in 2024, followed by a scene " six months later..." which takes place in 1985.

I'm saying that you'll need to pay attention to piece it together... Assuming that it ever does come together. I'm several hours in, and it looks like it'll make sense eventually, but I can't say for sure.

I'm saddened by the robot fights, though. Where the stories are told using Vanilla quality character design and animation, the robot fights are abstracted into a bunch of icons on a map.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 24, 2020

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
13 Sentinels looks great and I am trying to wrap up work early today to pick it up and start it but Vanillaware not using their artists to fully illustrate the mecha vs kaiju battles is the most baffling design decision I think I've ever seen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zongerian posted:

13 Sentinels looks great and I am trying to wrap up work early today to pick it up and start it but Vanillaware not using their artists to fully illustrate the mecha vs kaiju battles is the most baffling design decision I think I've ever seen

it was a very troubled production

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Yeah the story of 13 Sentinels seems to be designed to be as opaque as possible. You need to jump back and forth between thirteen protagonists, some of which go by different names depending on the circumstances. There's time travel, alternate universes, and memory rewriting. The story is told out of order. At one point, there is a scene that takes place in 2024, followed by a scene " six months later..." which takes place in 1985.

I'm saying that you'll need to pay attention to piece it together... Assuming that it ever does come together. I'm several hours in, and it looks like it'll make sense eventually, but I can't say for sure.
That honestly sounds really annoying.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They organize the scenes in the menu in chronological order with description and the names of everyone involved, you can also (I think) replay any scene. There's also a glossary for characters, places, objects, etc. on the menu so while the story is told in non-linear fashion it's not that bad :shrug:

The combat abstraction is a shame though, it should've been properly animated

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 25, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Going Under is an action RPG about digging through the ruins of old startups and beating the poo poo out of their monstrous employees. The whole game's combat economy is built around a roguelike-ified Breath of the Wild weapon degradation system where stuff you find shatters and deals double damage on the regular. Everything is themed around a visceral, seething hatred of startup culture and capitalism in general. The game is actually loving funny, the dialogue rules, the puns are unceasing and the combat system feels just wild enough to really challenge you. If you've got a powerful compy, set the framerate to cap at 60 or you'll get crashing issues; they're working on it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

They organize the scenes in the menu in chronological order with description and the names of everyone involved, you can also (I think) replay any scene. There's also a glossary for characters, places, objects, etc. on the menu so while the story is told in non-linear fashion it's not that bad :shrug:

The combat abstraction is a shame though, it should've been properly animated

Thinking about getting this, "pacific rim persona visual novel with vanillaware art" is a very very specific pitch but I might be a target

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't find 13 Sentinels, is it an epic only game?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't find 13 Sentinels, is it an epic only game?

ps4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

even worse :mad:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Donnerberg posted:

Star Renegades is a turn-based RPG from the people who did Halcyon 6, which was a big space sim RPG I could never get into. It looks gorgeous and seems to be about fighting mechs.

As Far As The Eye is a strange one. They call it a roguelike city builder with no combat. I don't know what that means, and haven't tried the demo. It might be fun. It certainly sounds unique.

These are good, I've been chipping away at them, they are frustrating but I keep coming back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been playing a bit of Star Renegades because of this thread and I have to say, it is not at all what I expected it to be. Is it weird to say that it reminds me of more than a few Flash games I've played? In a good way, that is.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I've really been liking Star Renegades as well. It helps that the combat is basically a mini-puzzle game of balancing doing damage and staggering enemies so they can't attack while still being able to take a hit every now and then.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
One more post about 13 Sentinels...

I'm getting near the end, and the plot has come together pretty well. I'm surprised that it managed to hook me as well as it has. It's a decent sci-fi premise with plenty of opportunities for the viewer to figure things out before major plot points are revealed.

The robot combat is okay, at best. The customization is shallow, and it's easy to become very powerful. On normal difficulty, it's very easy. There are only two missions that I failed to s rank on my first try. Missile Rain is my favorite move. It's expensive to buy and expensive to activate, but it's fun to see all those target markers appear across half the map.

I noticed that the percentage of players with a platinum in this game is about 30%, which seems really high. I figure that would require one playthrough, with some potential grinding to finish up everything. I'm not sure how many hours this calls for, but I think it's a good sign that so many people stuck with it too the end.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 1, 2020

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I've read that Star Renegades is getting a Switch port, later this year, and I've been holding out for that.

Also, it looks like the devs are going to be adding some content over the next months. I hate this kind of release. When I start a game, it has a limited window before I need to move on to something new. I rarely come back to a game once it's been shelved. That pushes me away from purchasing a game like this on release because I won't be getting the finished product.

Am I just being an rear end in a top hat? Does anyone else feel this way?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's understandable to be annoyed by this, not everyone likes to revisit games. If you know that this is how you approach games, it seems like the most reasonable solution would be to simply only buy games at least half a year after initial release as a matter of principle, though. It would be less annoying to you and you could just enjoy the game as it was intended.

If you wait for the Switch release, I imagine it will already have all those things, so it's probably the best of both worlds to you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I've read that Star Renegades is getting a Switch port, later this year, and I've been holding out for that.

Also, it looks like the devs are going to be adding some content over the next months. I hate this kind of release. When I start a game, it has a limited window before I need to move on to something new. I rarely come back to a game once it's been shelved. That pushes me away from purchasing a game like this on release because I won't be getting the finished product.

Not just valid, it's increasingly relevant now that we are in an era where your time is more limited than games to play will ever be

If you wait you get the year later cheaper updated patched content complete game

I avoid a lot of games I'll enjoy if there's a good chance buying early means spoiling a better overall experience later

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

It depends on the game, but I can definitely think of cases where I agree with you.

Your assumption is that post-release content means we didn't get the full game when we bought it. Big studios can and do take advantage of us that way to keep us around. Some more cynically than others. I find it quite upsetting that Diablo III kept getting revised, and completely redone by the expansion, because I bounced so hard off of the initial release that I wanted nothing more to do with it. If only it had been that improved game from the start.

You could also just see post-release content as a bonus though. I think that's more often the case with indie releases like Star Renegades. We played the full game that they were able to put together. That game was successful, which gave them the resources to add even more content. Everyone wins (provided you're willing to replay it later).

There's also games like Monster Hunter World, which wasn't a full game on release and still gets content 3 years later. It wasn't practical to do it all at once even though the studio had all the resources they could ask for. Their schedule works though because it's the kind of game you play for thousands of hours like an MMO or a Moba.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would personally say that MHW was plenty complete on release, in the same way that Terraria was. They've just both been expanded to the point that they're essentially twice the game they used to be, compared to what your money got you on release.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah DLC doesn't bug me as long as the initial release feels complete.

Terraria being a really good example. Sure, it might have been more fun to wait until now to have my first Terraria experience, but I had a great one at release and play it every now and then even today.

That said, I'm kind of in the same boat of kind of wanting to wait for most games. Asscreed Valhalla is coming out soon and I really want it, but I know if I wait 6 months they'll have a "GOTY edition" or "gold collection" or whatever that will be the game and all the DLC for the same price I would have paid at release without the DLC.

A lot of companies are just betting you won't be patient and it's a good bet. Hell I'm reasonably certain I'll still get asscreed because of how much I adored odyssey.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saxophone posted:

That said, I'm kind of in the same boat of kind of wanting to wait for most games. Asscreed Valhalla is coming out soon and I really want it, but I know if I wait 6 months they'll have a "GOTY edition" or "gold collection" or whatever that will be the game and all the DLC for the same price I would have paid at release without the DLC.

A lot of companies are just betting you won't be patient and it's a good bet. Hell I'm reasonably certain I'll still get asscreed because of how much I adored odyssey.
That sort of thing is annoying as poo poo, even more so because you just know you're getting fleeced by buying it early.

I will probably get the game, but I will not be getting it on release, I already know that much.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

That sort of thing is annoying as poo poo, even more so because you just know you're getting fleeced by buying it early.

I will probably get the game, but I will not be getting it on release, I already know that much.

Agreed. Though I still haven't gotten through all the vanilla content of Odyssey much less any DLC that would be available, so it still feels complete.

I'm rather annoyed at games that have DLC that fundamentally changes gameplay in a good way locked behind DLC though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

It can go either way. Like I find myself putting off games I'm excited about playing for this reason, where I want to wait to play the definitive version, but then by the time I get to it I'm just not as excited about playing it as I was at the time and I feel like I lost out by not playing it during that period of initial excitement. But I definitely have had the other experience where I feel like I've been screwed by playing when a game was still in a rough state or didn't have cool features that got added down the line too.

Saxophone posted:

FWIW the AssCreed games tend to be so long that I'm completely burned out by the time I finish the base content and need to take a long break before I even want to think about taking on any DLC (and I only actually finished 1 out of the last 4 AC DLCs ever for that reason), so that's a series where I'm pretty comfortable jumping in early. Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale if money is tight though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never seen a game with extra content released a year later that wasn't already an enjoyable experience day 1. It accomplishes two things: it entices me to jump back into a game I've completed which means I already enjoyed the original experience, or it entices me to try a game that's older and I wouldn't have checked out if it didn't re-enter my mind.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

al-azad posted:

I've never seen a game with extra content released a year later that wasn't already an enjoyable experience day 1.

My friend, let me tell you about a little game called No Man’s Sky.

I actually enjoyed NMS from day one but a lot of people understandably didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...well, No Man's Sky hasn't been a worse experience for the added free content, so there's that at least.