Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Clothes: everybody knows them, many like them, and most of it is either pretty good looking or at least useful. Unfortunately, there is a lot of really dumb clothing around that should never have been made. This is a thread to explore these fashion disasters.

To begin I will present one of the most idiotic yet unfortunately most iconic garments of my home country, germany. The Lederhose:

Leather has been used to make clothing for as long as humans have been around, yet it needs the special mind of a bavarian to produce something as idiotic looking as a lederhosen. Even this strapping young lad can't pull it off.

Other honorable mentions are the Justin Bieber "pooped my" pants

The zoot suits, which as far as I'm aware was a thing during WW2 to brag that you could afford fabric (a luxury at the time)

and this shameful memory of middle school, when for a short 2 months or so these trainers were popular.

The deal with these was that you could open all of these buttons and thus pull them off in a second. AFAIK they are known as stripper pants in the US, but here in germany they are still refered to all "Schnellficker Hosen" or fast loving pants, because, well, you could.

Please share other clothing that has either not withstood the test of time or was just dumb to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anything found here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803759

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 24, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No this is mostly people lifting weights

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Baseball hats are really dumb

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

The deal with these was that you could open all of these buttons and thus pull them off in a second. AFAIK they are known as stripper pants in the US, but here in germany they are still refered to all "Schnellficker Hosen" or fast loving pants, because, well, you could.

Tracksuit pants with buttons like that were popular in the UK when I was in high school.
I expect they started as a way for athletes on the sub benches to keep warm before being sent on pitch, but the civilian versions we had only had buttons up to hip level, which meant other kids couldn't rip them off you, but also rendered them pointless. They were drafty in winter and the buttons got hot in summer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The simple striped adidas was the height of tracksuits, everything beyond is mere flight of fancy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tracksuits are awesome, pretty much the perfect clothing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Son of Rodney posted:

Other honorable mentions are the Justin Bieber "pooped my" pants

I forgot about those, ugh. :doh: Almost definitely the worst of '10s fashion, and I say "almost" because I might have been so traumatized by the rest of it that I forgot it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
finally, white people have figured out how to make saggy pants cool

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

YeahTubaMike posted:

I forgot about those, ugh. :doh: Almost definitely the worst of '10s fashion, and I say "almost" because I might have been so traumatized by the rest of it that I forgot it.

Right? I never got what the point or appeal was supposed to be. normally saggy clothing allows for more freedom of movement, but these actually look like they'd be more cumbersome.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Tracksuit pants with buttons like that were popular in the UK when I was in high school.
I expect they started as a way for athletes on the sub benches to keep warm before being sent on pitch, but the civilian versions we had only had buttons up to hip level, which meant other kids couldn't rip them off you, but also rendered them pointless. They were drafty in winter and the buttons got hot in summer.

I think they were popular all across europe, coming over from the superior slav fashion zone. Like you said they were wrong for almost any weather, if it's warm the synthehic material would heat up too much, and in the cold you'd get drafty balls from all the gaps. The only fun thing was propably ripping them of your friends to embarass them.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

trousers are fascist

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There are no ethical pants under capitalism

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Around here every single kid rocked this stupid Bula hat in the early 90s

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I call this "Go gently caress yourself"

I have to learn sewing because it is not justy clothes. It is also my pilllow. I am not sure if I am allergic to chicken feathers, but Achew!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
See ya worth. :byewhore:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this actually rules (well, not the hat)

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Bad Purchase posted:

this actually rules (well, not the hat)

I also think those rule

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The shoes are ok everything else is garbage

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
JNCOs and anyone / anything associated with them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Please share other clothing that has either not withstood the test of time or was just dumb to begin with.
Aren't all pants fast loving pants. I can drop trou about as fast as you could stripper pants those off and when you're done you just pull your pants up instead of have to assemble the worst post sex puzzle imaginable.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

Aren't all pants fast loving pants. I can drop trou about as fast as you could stripper pants those off and when you're done you just pull your pants up instead of have to assemble the worst post sex puzzle imaginable.

They save you from having to gently caress around with getting your pants around your shoes is what they do

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

reignonyourparade posted:

They save you from having to gently caress around with getting your pants around your shoes is what they do
ok magic mike

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Icochet posted:

Around here every single kid rocked this stupid Bula hat in the early 90s

Where?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Oh my god that cord one. Seeing that also reawakens memories of the time when i was getting into teen age but still let my mom dress me, which lead to a weird 70 hippy style with a lot of chord and weird colors.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh my god that cord one. Seeing that also reawakens memories of the time when i was getting into teen age but still let my mom dress me, which lead to a weird 70 hippy style with a lot of chord and weird colors.

My mom was loving obsessed with me wearing cords

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm trying to think of slow loving pants and I can't do it. For most of human history our pants have been designed to go from peeing, pooping, or loving and back to wearing pants in 5 seconds. Pants are inherently fast loving.

This made me think of jumpsuits though which are pajamas you're allowed to wear to work and can be dumb depending on context. They have pant legs and are a little harder to fast gently caress in but they're also pajamas you can wear while doing mechanic stuff to a car or being a union electrician. The reason they are dumb is because of people like the Soylent guy who isn't a cool blue collar person and in fact seems incompatible with the jumpsuits he's obsessed with, evidenced by the fact he's trying to figure out how to not poop because he probably dislikes how hard it is to poop while wearing a jumpsuit.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What’s with the 50s look on the ravers?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

gently caress yeah poo poo-kickers. :haibrow:

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pants in general are dumb op

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

For the man who likes to do high kicks in his cowboy boots.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Fashion is dumb as gently caress and is helping to destroy the planet. We should all wear jumpsuits with lots of pockets. A light cotton one for warmer temperatures and a heavier one for winter. Thermal underwear if it gets real cold. Plus we can customize it with patches/buttons. gently caress fashion so hard I hate shopping for clothes.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

sharknado slashfic posted:

Pants in general are dumb op

*slams gavel*

agreed. Henceforth every man will be obligated to wear utilikilts.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

*slams gavel*

Those make my hips look too big though.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
North face jackets are dumb

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

lmao

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

turbomoose posted:

North face jackets are dumb

the midwestern college girl look of a decade ago, Northface, yoga pants and ugg boots

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Fashion is dumb as gently caress and is helping to destroy the planet. We should all wear jumpsuits with lots of pockets. A light cotton one for warmer temperatures and a heavier one for winter. Thermal underwear if it gets real cold. Plus we can customize it with patches/buttons. gently caress fashion so hard I hate shopping for clothes.
The clothing line in the mock budgets in highschool home ec is some candles budget poo poo, agreed.

We can still have nice things as long as we better recognize clothes are a durable good. But since you're such a jumpsuit enthusiast maybe you can demonstrate for the thread the different methods of jumpsuit management when having a poop.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

how about that winter hat that had colourful plush spikes sticking out of it and said mental on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Son of Rodney posted:

*slams gavel*

For real tho outlaw pants, skirts for everyone.