Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, very annoying. But it still falls under 'great feature but its for older hardware' so while I'm hoping they put it back, I'd expect they don't. :smith:

Edit: this is about VP9 hardware acceleration accelerating 8K YouTube videos in the new Safari in Big Sur

BTW, Safari 14.0 on Catalina / Mojave is missing the VP9 experimental choices which leads me to think it's at the OS level

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Binary Badger posted:

Guess that's why Apple updated the Safari in Big Sur dev Beta 7 to 14.0.1.

Apple appears to have disabled the VP9 hardware acceleration framework (it's available in Develop > Experimental Features, but only on Big Sur natch)

There's a toggle for VP9 via software but it uses up CPU where previously it was all directed to the GPU..

Yeah, I don't know wtf Apple is doing, they removed 1440P/4K YouTube support on the final release of iOS 14 as well.

It had been working for nearly the entire duration of iOS 14 Beta (since Beta 1), and now is gone again on the GM/final release. I'm getting really sick of this poo poo.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Why does it take an hour to "prepare to update" to iOS 14 on a plugged-in, charged Gen5 iPad? Why do I have to sell my firstborn to convince it that I don't charge it, nor my phone, during the night, so I really, really want it to upgrade during the day? Christ.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I upgraded my ipad and phone during the day yesterday? i just hit update now and it went? It did take a while to download and stuff though, but they updated on their own after it was finished doing that...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Took about an hour to download the update on my iPad, I guess their servers were getting hammered yesterday.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Brave crowd here. I'm definitely waiting for at least one patch release on this one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twerk from Home posted:

Brave crowd here. I'm definitely waiting for at least one patch release on this one.

I usually don’t have issues with GMs. I don’t mess with betas though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SeANMcBAY posted:

I usually don’t have issues with GMs. I don’t mess with betas though.

Dot-zeroes are the releases where all the bugs not found due to the limited size of the beta test pool get found

also the releases where all the bugs that were identified but not quite fixed during beta are still there

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

I upgraded my ipad and phone during the day yesterday? i just hit update now and it went? It did take a while to download and stuff though, but they updated on their own after it was finished doing that...

it went, eventually, and was uneventful. I just dislike vague status meters. Download the thing, apply the thing. Don't do them simultaneously and introduce potential issues because of network fuckups, etc., that just adds unnecessary complication. If you don't have enough free space on your device to fully uncompress and then update, you should probably not be updating that device! But we are of course talking about Apple, here.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Having issues with icloud tabs since buying a new iphone. It has not worked at all since then.

Macos 10.14.5
Iphone se 2020 with ios13.5.1

Tried it on two computers with 10.14.5 and neither show the ios tabs. Ios won’t show the mac tabs. already signed in and out of icloud a billion times, same network, different network, etc.

It used to work with my old ios 12 iphone.

The only thing i can find is that you need macos 10.14.4 or newer for ios13

Ideas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having some trouble with a RAID backup that I'm trying to run (for the first time in a while). I've got an eight-bay MediaSonic ProRAID box striped into two volumes of RAID 5, connected via a USB2 PCIe card to my Mac Pro 5,1.

When I got the box and HDDs about a year ago, I ran the backups using GBP3 and it went off no problem. The ProRAID enclosure has sat powered down since then. The other day, I tried to run it again and had some issues. The first volume seemed to take forever; I left for work and came back eight hours later to see it sitting at 12.41%, copying some .nki file from my Kontakt libraries. I stayed up until early the next morning and it didn't budge. I stopped the backup and tried to run the second backup volume, and when I turned my monitors on this morning it had crashed. If it does this again next time I'll pull the crash logs, but any ideas as to why this is happening?

EDIT: Another friend seems to think this 'backup' system I have is silly and unnecessary. Yes, I'm aware having a RAID array isn't really a true backup. I just want to have something I can run every few months and turn off again so that I don't lose anything critical if one of my internal SSDs/HDDs goes down. Is there a better piece of software than GBP3 more suited to this end? I assume just manually copying everything in Finder is out of the question.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 19, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If you're that worried about it you should be putting it in Backblaze or something. Quit causing yourself headaches for no reason because that is an *incredibly* convoluted solution.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Crunchy Black posted:

If you're that worried about it you should be putting it in Backblaze or something. Quit causing yourself headaches for no reason because that is an *incredibly* convoluted solution.

Cloud and online backup services are sort of out of the question here. I live with roommates and I don't want to throttle our internet connection more than I already have.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Cloud and online backup services are sort of out of the question here. I live with roommates and I don't want to throttle our internet connection more than I already have.

Those services all do incremental backups (overnight by default) so they shouldn't have a noticeable affect on your bandwidth after the initial upload unless you are generating enormous volumes of new data every day and it all needs to be backed up. And I'm pretty sure they offer a "mail us an external HD" option if you want to skip that initial upload step. You need an off-site backup anyway, a house disaster that takes out your computer is also likely to take out your raid box.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 19, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a better piece of software than GBP3 more suited to this end? I assume just manually copying everything in Finder is out of the question.
What's wrong with Time Machine?

Otherwise, I think you can set up Restic to backup to pretty much anywhere.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Powering down drive arrays is bad juju. Build a NAS. Store stuff on the NAS, or sync to NAS. It's not a backup; it's resilient storage. You can sync the NAS to cloud with rclone for offsite backup. I like S3 Glacier but rclone supports everything.

Intermittent sync via USB to an array you power cycle and leave to rot in an unknown state is not how to archive your stuff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TACD posted:

It has a great fondness for breaking silently, without warning, and without any ability to resume other than to restart from scratch. With a bit of luck, you'll be notified out of the blue that your “backup” is 6 weeks out of date; with a bit less luck, you'll have a failure 5.6 weeks into that period and only discover when you try to restore.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If I had the cash, or frankly the extra AC outlets to spare, a NAS is what I'd have built two years ago. But between all the synthesizers, DJ and video equipment, and everything else in this room it's not really an option. Leaving things running 24/7 is also going to cause problems around here, which is also a factor in why I elected to go this route instead of BackBlaze or a NAS that's constantly running.

TACD posted:

Due to some combination of factors Time Machine was a no-go for this full system archive. If I remember correctly, because of the nature of the ProRAID, it can't be striped into one large RAID volume - so we split it into two 18TB volumes for archival. Combined with the fact that Time Machine works on an exclusionary model ("exclude these items from backups") we determined it would be unfeasible to archive the whole system this way.

BUT, now that I'm thinking about it again, perhaps I should treat the two 18TB volumes on the ProRAID this way:
- Volume A is a Time Machine backup containing all the usual stuff: OS, applications, app settings, plus also permanent media like audio libraries, plugins, VFX libraries, etc. etc.
- Volume B is an archive of everything that's not the above; new DAW and video editing sessions and the raw media associated therein, my music libraries (my DJ library is the thing that grows by a few gigs every week), finished video/audio projects, pictures etc.

Into Volume B I can manually drag-and-drop stuff in Finder, but I'd definitely prefer a more elegant solution to synchronize new data while not having to overwrite hundreds of gigs of data that already exists there.

As for a real backup, I guess I will look into BackBlaze finally. Thanks for all your help guys.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Counterpoint: all the cloud backup services that don’t cost an absolute bomb are poo poo. Backblaze will throw your whole backup in a freezer if it becomes even slightly unsynced and is a massive pain if you have a cap. CrashPlan goes so slow it gave me an estimate of 2 years to backup my files on a gigabit fiber line after running a week. The software for these things also tends to suck hard.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Doesn't RAID 5 have wildly impractical rebuild times for current disk capacities?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Doesn't RAID 5 have wildly impractical rebuild times for current disk capacities?
Yeah I’ve seen extra parity disks recommended beyond a certain size cause the risk of losing a second drive during the rebuild. I think there’s a calculator for this somewhere based on drive failure stats and rebuild times.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

How do I turn off digital signatures in mail? My work emails are of the high-volume, low-security variety and I would rather not type my password to send each one (it doesn’t even do watch passwords, which would be fine).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

theflyingexecutive posted:

How do I turn off digital signatures in mail? My work emails are of the high-volume, low-security variety and I would rather not type my password to send each one (it doesn’t even do watch passwords, which would be fine).
When you go to compose an email there’s a padlock and little star icon next to it. I think clicking the star is what actually turns it off but it’ll remember the setting after you turn it off.

I know this because I wasn’t paying attention when I was testing Big Sur on a dev machine at work and logged into my normal iCloud account without thinking about it. This both managed to both turn on the secure mail setting and also sync that preference to iCloud so my own Mac started trying to send secure mails :v:

Probably something to keep an eye on when Big Sur actually releases.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Mister Speaker posted:

If I had the cash, or frankly the extra AC outlets to spare, a NAS is what I'd have built two years ago. But between all the synthesizers, DJ and video equipment, and everything else in this room it's not really an option. Leaving things running 24/7 is also going to cause problems around here, which is also a factor in why I elected to go this route instead of BackBlaze or a NAS that's constantly running.

Due to some combination of factors

Okay I'll bite. Why do you need a ~20 TB backup that is apparently shared amongst an entire household that must be local but also offline ~99% of the time!? Do you live in Oklahoma with a 256k upload speed but also on top of the Eiffel tower where power costs a dinosaur/kWh?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Crunchy Black posted:

Okay I'll bite. Why do you need a ~20 TB backup that is apparently shared amongst an entire household that must be local but also offline ~99% of the time!? Do you live in Oklahoma with a 256k upload speed but also on top of the Eiffel tower where power costs a dinosaur/kWh?

- It's 'not a backup,' as many have and will continue to point out. Really it's more of an archive, as I've come to realize.
- It's not shared, but the internet connection is shared between me and two roommates. I am leaning more towards accepting backblaze though.
- The AC situation in the apartment is janky and already strained considering the production/dj/entertainment gear I have in the room. To give you some idea, before I upgraded my window air conditioner I had to choose between running it or being able to use my computer to write music or edit video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Speaker posted:

- It's 'not a backup,' as many have and will continue to point out. Really it's more of an archive, as I've come to realize.
- It's not shared, but the internet connection is shared between me and two roommates. I am leaning more towards accepting backblaze though.
- The AC situation in the apartment is janky and already strained considering the production/dj/entertainment gear I have in the room. To give you some idea, before I upgraded my window air conditioner I had to choose between running it or being able to use my computer to write music or edit video.

You ever try plugging some of those things into a different outlet/breaker?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ok Comboomer posted:

You ever try plugging some of those things into a different outlet/breaker?

You ever lived in an apartment before? Sorry that was standoffish, but all two working outlets in my room (and one in the bathroom) are on the same breaker. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Speaker posted:

You ever lived in an apartment before? Sorry that was standoffish, but all two working outlets in my room (and one in the bathroom) are on the same breaker. :(

Just a thought! :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211849

Like anyone gives two shits department:

Apple just released macOS 10.15.7, it includes security patches, includes fixes for: 5700XT GPU drivers for the iMac 2020, connecting to WiFi issues, iCloud Drive syncing

They also released security updates for the same things on High Sierra and Mojave.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binary Badger posted:

Apple just released macOS 10.15.7, it includes security patches, includes fixes for: 5700XT GPU drivers for the iMac 2020, connecting to WiFi issues, iCloud Drive syncing

They also released security updates for the same things on High Sierra and Mojave.

For what it's worth I always appreciate your heads up here. Small update or not

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Binary Badger posted:

> : ( New 16inch GPU drivers next plz.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WHY do I update virtualbox?

The latest 6.1 won't start my Linux VM's if I have sound enabled. wtf

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=99762

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

linux.txt

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did Big Sur get a release date yet?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably around the time of the next event, I think that's when they usually do the macOS roll out.

for my secondary work macbook pro 2015, that roll out to Big SIR beta 8 is happening right now :getin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FCKGW posted:

Did Big Sur get a release date yet?

They’ll probably announce a date at the iPhone focused event next month.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Counterpoint: all the cloud backup services that don’t cost an absolute bomb are poo poo. Backblaze will throw your whole backup in a freezer if it becomes even slightly unsynced and is a massive pain if you have a cap. CrashPlan goes so slow it gave me an estimate of 2 years to backup my files on a gigabit fiber line after running a week. The software for these things also tends to suck hard.

Backblaze took about 2 months to back up 8 tbs for me but other than that it's been fine, and in fact saved my rear end when my hard drive poo poo the bed recently. Software is clunky but it gets the job done.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

101 posted:

For what it's worth I always appreciate your heads up here. Small update or not

Eh someone has to do it. Star Wars Sex Parrot used to post the updater links but he doesn't seem to be round much anymore.

Speaking of, here's the link for the Catalina 10.15.7 delta update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2051

And here's a link for the 10.15.7 combo update for you completists and janitors who have found combo updates useful in the past:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052

here's the link for Mojave Security Update 2020-005:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2054

And for you High Sierra diehards, High Sierra Security Update 2020-005:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2053

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

All of these updates don't seem to touch the BootROM or T2 BridgeOS firmwares, unless of course you didn't run the 10.15.6 or last Mojave and HS Security updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Bob Morales posted:

Honest question coming from the world's cheapest man here.
Is there a reason besides cost to use virtualbox over parallels?
I tried VB and I swear it tried to violate me.

It devoured my virtual machines and crapped out unuseable, unbootable wastes of hard drive space and won't even apologize.
I am now subscribing to Parallels on the upgrade deal since I bought it way back in 2009ish and it even let me build a windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 machines to try to play Red Alert before I learned that OpenRA was a thing and that I was completely wasting my time. (I actually got Parallels to run my printer/scanner, and old versions of Roxio Toast, blu-ray authoring and acrobat pro that are no longer supported in 64 bit so i have a sweet rear end Sierra virtual machine.)

I think the frustration saved per hour far outpaced the whatever it was, $45/year subscription and I hate shelling out for anything.