Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

builds character posted:

This is closer... but now folks are hiring lawyers to look over what your words mean and I don't think this is better for winning either. I have played literally two games with you - sodium and realbaddumb and even before you posted this I knew that I had to look at the very strict reading of what you say and that's a reputation I would prefer not having because I only really trust you to do exactly what you said you would. It's certainly better than nothing but I think it's less likely to lead to winning.

It may surprise you to learn that people still love making deals with me. :v: After all, I don't betray them on principle, I only betray them if it's in my best interests to find some wriggle room in the deal.

Maybe it's just because of my winning personality and immense amounts of personal charisma, though, maybe I'm just too lovable for people not to trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I subbed into Sodium to take over Fomoria at around turn 30.

I hate Imprisoned Rainbow pretender gods. They are so worthless. Don't do it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PurpleXVI posted:

It may surprise you to learn that people still love making deals with me. :v: After all, I don't betray them on principle, I only betray them if it's in my best interests to find some wriggle room in the deal.

Maybe it's just because of my winning personality and immense amounts of personal charisma, though, maybe I'm just too lovable for people not to trust.

It does not surprise me. Outside of the game you are pleasant and your approach to the game is charming. I would in fact go so far as to say that you never betray anyone and are quite trustworthy to live up to the exact letter of your deals. This is different, however, from your strategy being the strategy that gives you the best chance to win.

Speleothing posted:

I subbed into Sodium to take over Fomoria at around turn 30.

I hate Imprisoned Rainbow pretender gods. They are so worthless. Don't do it.

The taint of my failure somehow spread northward. I’m sorry.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
An aside:

BUT

An aside that seems to constitute CoE bait for the wayward, ever-hopeful contingent.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229310/Godking_Master_of_Rituals/

We've had so many cursed/doomed MoM pretenders, finally some Illwinter fare has managed to warp/"influence" some other outfits to try~

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The game overthinkit just concluded. Supposedly a 'shorter' MA game, this one had only nine players:

JonJoe playing Arcoscephale
Kremath playing Ermor
Technowolf (me) playing Ulm
ZipBear playing Caelum
Dr. Bonertron playing C'tis
beardbeard playing Pangaea
Droid playing Shinuyama
PurpleXVI playing Ashdod
Gishou playing Phaeacia

Beard played Pan very aggro and rolled over poor JonJoe pretty quickly. Shortly afterwards, Dr. Bonertron started stomping on poor Gishou and I swooped in to take some pieces (most notably his cap and throne) while Kremath Ermor'd Droid pretty hard. I also started getting a lantern+quill factory pumping out research boosters around this time, especially since I had a decent air income from Phaeacia's cap sites.

Shortly thereafter, Beard attacked me and started trying to elf my provinces. Thankfully I had enough money saved up I was able to set my PD to 25+ in a lot of places, stopping his raiding forces cold. Once I started (slowly) marching my giant infantry and shotgun mage stacks toward Pan, beard decided he was done and went AI. Then I started cheerily clearing up AI Pan when I noticed 3 things:

1) Everyone but me and Dr. Bonertron had gone AI around turn 57
2) Pan had no thrones for me to take
3) Cataclysm was in about 4 turns!!!

As such I started turning my armies toward whatever nearest thrones I could find. Took an indie one that I had been letting sit for way too long and nicked a L1 throne from Ermor. In the end I won. Why?

Nobody else even tried to take thrones!

Your new Pantokrator:

Map at the end:

Graphs:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Overthinkit was the game where I owned myself on turn one. See, I misunderstood the game description, "EVERYONE IS WITHIN FIRST STRIKE DISTANCE" to mean something like "CAP CIRCLES ARE TOUCHING!!!!" and busted my scales for a HYPERMURDER PG. Turn one, proud of my work, I threw him into the one province my dominion had pushed into, a cave province... and he promptly got clonked by cavemen.

I was real tempted to go AI right then and there. But instead I stuck it out as a minor state that no one ever attacked and I killed like 2k of Ermor's goons twice at the same fort, thus helping save everyone from the skeletoid menace.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
It should be noted that Phaecia attacked me and got what he deserved.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PurpleXVI posted:

I was real tempted to go AI right then and there. But instead I stuck it out as a minor state that no one ever attacked and I killed like 2k of Ermor's goons twice at the same fort, thus helping save everyone from the skeletoid menace.

I salute you, the free spawn boners must be defeated at all costs every game

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Overthinkit was the game where I owned myself on turn one. See, I misunderstood the game description, "EVERYONE IS WITHIN FIRST STRIKE DISTANCE" to mean something like "CAP CIRCLES ARE TOUCHING!!!!" and busted my scales for a HYPERMURDER PG. Turn one, proud of my work, I threw him into the one province my dominion had pushed into, a cave province... and he promptly got clonked by cavemen.

Yeah, sometimes this game really likes to play pranks on a player like that. One of my games, my deathkiller four-armed demon lady walked into a province of a dozen bastards armed with blowtubes and while she massacred all of them, one of the tiny darts caused bleeding.

So since bleeding works similar to poison, she bled to death at the end of the battle. On turn 2

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

death gaze!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
why would you post that here

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

violent sex idiot posted:

why would you post that here

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The art style hasn't really progressed over the years, it's more like it curdled. Put it back.

While reading the clown let's play I saw posters mention what later ages of kirkostaculis might look like. They kept alluding to meta narratives the world goes through. Can anyone expand on that? A lot of the descriptions talk about things that happened before the early age, how cohesive is all that fluff?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Happy Underpants posted:

The art style hasn't really progressed over the years, it's more like it curdled. Put it back.

While reading the clown let's play I saw posters mention what later ages of kirkostaculis might look like. They kept alluding to meta narratives the world goes through. Can anyone expand on that? A lot of the descriptions talk about things that happened before the early age, how cohesive is all that fluff?

As cohesive as all Dom5-fluff, so it fits right in.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Happy Underpants posted:

The trend through the ages is one of loss of magic and decay of nonhuman races, and increased technological advancement.
The Swedes have said that nations aren't necessarily concurrent, even though they're in the same age.
For example, if I remember correctly, they said EA Hinnom exists way before Ea Arcoscephale in time.
There is no exact timeline and they mostly hint at stuff, but they make a rather cohesive and immersive narrative of the whole thing.
Someone wrote a big lore post one time, I'll see if I can find it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Here's a chart, obviously it's fanmade, but it gets the idea across:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Ur destroyed by Beefelheim.
Where did they get that from?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

uguu posted:

Ur destroyed by Beefelheim.
Where did they get that from?

its mostly made up, and also extremely outdated

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah it needs a big re-write and is missing lots of nations, I know I've seen others but I can't seem to track any down

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I wouldn't really say a big rewrite, as a lot of the new nations are either easy fill-ins (Phaecia just being a Berytos continuation + some Mekone, or Vaettiheim's lore connection being already on there), completely new chains you can mostly put wherever (Mekone/Phlegra/Phlegra and Ubar/Na'Ba), or a certain nation that comes out of literally nowhere, and then vanishes there again with no connection to anything else (Ind).

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I prefer the Dark Souls excuse in that time is messed up monumentally due to being in a transition between magical eras so now there's got to be some ultimate showdown to unfuck everything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's an event chain about finding the ruins of Ur, records of their destruction by Niefel giants, and a Niefel Jarl frozen solid still but still alive, if somewhat cranky.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ind is explicitly connected to hinnom, both in their units and spells. so is naba

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

So I'm trying to make this work through Hamachi, but the other guy (or vice versa when he's hosting) just get stuck trying to download the map file. Transferring the file itself didn't help, so that's a wash. Is playing by email really the only option? Cause that sounds incredibly crude and slow to me.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

THE BAR posted:

So I'm trying to make this work through Hamachi, but the other guy (or vice versa when he's hosting) just get stuck trying to download the map file. Transferring the file itself didn't help, so that's a wash. Is playing by email really the only option? Cause that sounds incredibly crude and slow to me.

https://discord.com/channels/372490951391838219/372490951391838221

The discord has a bot what sets up games for you.
Do !help in the blitzes and newgames channel and it will helpfully explain

uguu posted:

Someone wrote a big lore post one time, I'll see if I can find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post448824994

uguu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 23, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

uguu posted:

https://discord.com/channels/372490951391838219/372490951391838221

The discord has a bot what sets up games for you.
Do !help in the blitzes and newgames channel and it will helpfully explain

Right! Thanks a lot! :tipshat:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can also just download the map separately and put it in the appropriate file.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

builds character posted:

You can also just download the map separately and put it in the appropriate file.

We tried that, but the game still refused to connect us. For a game that's supposedly all about the multiplayer, they sure haven't fleshed out that service very well. Maybe the earlier renditions had it better?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Illwinter have their top team on it

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

As an aside, I want whatever they're rendering their Dom5 maps with added to their Floorplan Generator.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

THE BAR posted:

We tried that, but the game still refused to connect us. For a game that's supposedly all about the multiplayer, they sure haven't fleshed out that service very well. Maybe the earlier renditions had it better?

Fair enough. I would just sign up for snek.earth for hosting and join the discord for help.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, found this fairly amusing LA modnation, which is a clear homage to old sci fi B movies.

I'm not sure how viable they'd be in an actual MP game (let alone a modnation power level one), because there are definitely issues, but they're at least amusing to look through. For one, they literally cannot start expanding until Turn 3 in any way, shape or form - on Turn 1 you've got zero troops, zero treasury, and 500 unrest (and you're mandated to take a dormant/imprisoned god). And for the second, you now have troops and a treasury and your unrest is reset to 0 (so you're basically starting on Turn 2 instead of 1) but you're under siege.

And while their troops do have their good points, there are issues. Like their basic ranged troops have blaster rifles, which are 45 range, 15 magic AP damage weapons... but the troops themselves are Precision 4. Also absolutely 0 native Air access, so you're not Wind Guiding them into accuracy either (bar a lucky indie mage find). And while their melee troops mostly have decent protection and weaponry, they've also got Morale 9. Just about everything does resist fire/shock 5, and poison 30 though (and have Poison Cloud 3), so there are definitely plusses there. And the sacreds are expensive but pretty decent. The elephants are the Raghan ones (so 18 prot), and are basically a "on the wrong set" gag in the flavor text.

Mainly just seeing them as VERY vulnerable to rushes due to that start delay. The mod is still in beta though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's a really good mod! It was made by goon a computing pun (j on discord), for one of our nationgen discord games in which people often give flavourtext to all their units to make things more interesting. Serpulon was by far the best of those and j turned it into a "real" mod afterwards. It's been edited now of course but many of the janky stats or troop choices are explained by it being from nationgen.

e: for reference, here's what I did with my nation in that game. I did not feel the need to make it a complete mod afterwards.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 1, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Nationgens have flavor text now? Huh that's neat.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Donkringel posted:

Nationgens have flavor text now? Huh that's neat.

Only after we manually edit the generated mod files to add it, I mean.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Only after we manually edit the generated mod files to add it, I mean.

Oh got me excited there Gonadic!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Donkringel posted:

Oh got me excited there Gonadic!

brb integrating GPT-3 with nationgen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a Dom 5 thug builder or something I can use to model commanders and gear?