Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
well drat, now my college roommate horror story sounds pretty tame

after a series of comically unsuccessful get-rich-quick schemes, he started stealing credit card numbers in WoW by posing as a girl, and got busted by attempting to "launder" said credit cards by using them to buy credit for an online poker account tied to his personal bank details. a cop and an fbi agent tracked him down while i was out taking classes. on the day of his expulsion he stole painkillers from a friend who was recovering from knee surgery and then left with his parents to go to a christian youth retreat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"it's just a prank, bro!" I yell as a federal judge sentences me to ten years

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kind Friend posted:

quote:

He goes, "yeah well I know that NOW",

:hmbol:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

this whole article seems to describe a Groverhaus-type mess

https://dengarden.com/misc/The-Pitfalls-of-an-Underground-House

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

and like grover they appear to not have learned anything from this.

at the end they would still live underground and their son is building an underground house currently

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its also unbelievably ugly.

it looks like a weird collapsed model home and constructed as well one too it seems.

at least with partially underground houses you can do more to blend into the environment and not distract from the natural beauty around you but nope. toss a bunch of vinyl siding in a pit and call it a day. im so mad about this house.

edit: this guy owns though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?DeathWearsBunnySlippers?videos

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
they did learn that it's a bad sign when someone wants to sell you their house for 2/3 of what it cost them to build it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I hate and fear the outdoors and one of the first (real) books I remember BVMF reading to me was the Hobbit so I don't immediately reject the idea of living underground but it seems like it's a lot of trouble?

:shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A house built into the side of a hill doesn't seem like the worst idea, even if in practice it's going to be digging out a chunk of hill, building a house there, then putting hill-shaped landscaping on top. You actually see a lot of houses vaguely like that in very hilly areas, where the basement is at ground level on the low side of the property but is fully below ground on the high side.

A house built into a hole in the ground is just terrible all-round.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jabor posted:

A house built into the side of a hill doesn't seem like the worst idea, even if in practice it's going to be digging out a chunk of hill, building a house there, then putting hill-shaped landscaping on top. You actually see a lot of houses vaguely like that in very hilly areas, where the basement is at ground level on the low side of the property but is fully below ground on the high side.

A house built into a hole in the ground is just terrible all-round.

the problem with this is that water runs downhill and it doesnt just do it on the top of the grass either

let me assure you that everything about owning a house on a hillside sucks rear end

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

LastInLine posted:

the problem with this is that water runs downhill and it doesnt just do it on the top of the grass either

let me assure you that everything about owning a house on a hillside sucks rear end

that's what house ponchos are for. duh

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Schadenboner posted:

I hate and fear the outdoors and one of the first (real) books I remember BVMF reading to me was the Hobbit so I don't immediately reject the idea of living underground but it seems like it's a lot of trouble?

:shrug:

it sounds like their problems come down to two root causes: the builders did a very bad job, and the climate of the area is not well-suited to building things underground. as the hn comments point out, these are probably related; you aren't going to find people who know how to build an underground house correctly in an area where it's hard to keep basements dry and building your entire house underground is a terrible idea.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tickyricky 2 hours ago [–]

I think reading about Ruth and Antonin Scalia's friendship was the most wholesome political reading I've ever done. Hearing people divided in opinion, but not bitterly so, working together to figure out the best framework to construct American society from was inspirational. I hope the two halves of the political world can become friends in the way they were.
Rest in peace Ruth. I hope if there's an after you and Antonin are living it up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The entrance to boomer hell is a pit lined with vinyl siding

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

boomers love vinyl. its the material of the future!!! I assume it was viewed like microwaves and cars with 5 MPG back when those freaks could buy a house when they turned 23

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
An update to the Timescale license has the majority of hn sucking some startups dick and agreeing on redefining "open source" to mean something completely different.

At the time of writing, pretty much every comment that says there is already a different word for it ("source avaliable") is downvoted. It seems to be on brand to defend projects that have announced changing to a proprietary license and calling it "open" for some reason.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i understand what you're saying, but i am pretty persuaded that it is indeed really useful to push these more restricted licenses. partially because it lets (the relevant) people get paid, partially because we are indeed getting to the point of most "open source" ending up being effectively closed when fielded by amazon/microsoft/google (and that being its primary use).

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

OSI are unwilling to move beyond their 90s view of software so it's better to just ignore them. also there are hilariously bad licenses that are "OSI approved" so it's pretty meaningless at this point

i've been personally licensing hobby projects with the hippocratic license and if someone wants something thats easier to exploit then they can pay me for my time

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

power botton posted:

boomers love vinyl. its the material of the future!!! I assume it was viewed like microwaves and cars with 5 MPG back when those freaks could buy a house when they turned 23

our house has vinyl, aluminum, and wood siding in various places, it looks like poo poo but there's more important things to not get around to having fixed

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Progressive JPEG posted:

i've been personally licensing hobby projects with the hippocratic license and if someone wants something thats easier to exploit then they can pay me for my time

I'm 100% on board with folks licensing their software in any way they see fit and if anyone tells them otherwise they should be told to suck dick and/or pay up, just don't misrepresent your license and call it something it's not. Especially if the point is to effectively leverage free labour out of a community or benefit from a previously understood definition.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i understand what you're saying, but i am pretty persuaded that it is indeed really useful to push these more restricted licenses. partially because it lets (the relevant) people get paid, partially because we are indeed getting to the point of most "open source" ending up being effectively closed when fielded by amazon/microsoft/google (and that being its primary use).

Will have to hard disagree. Feel gross for saying this, but it's just proving stallman right. I didn't really care about the words people were using and thought the free software/open source thing was unnecessarily devisive but now projects/start ups are pushing for "open source" literally just being proprietary software and nerds are defending it. smdh.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
vinyl houses just have a warmer tone man

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

vinyl houses just have a warmer tone man

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i considered buying a vinyl house, but i didn't have the scratch

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Internet Janitor posted:

i considered buying a vinyl house, but i didn't have the scratch

Yup, that's me! You might be wondering how I got into this joke....

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
renewiltord 5 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Social-media platforms are destroying evidence of war crimes

Does anyone actually give a gently caress about this? Everyone wanted Facebook to be where people go to see baby photos. Now it is that thing. It's fine. I see lots of baby photos and my life is good.

So go upload to Liveleak if you want to post pictures of people shooting hooded people. Bro I don't want to see that and previously I was okay at avoiding it on Facebook. Then everyone decided that it was important that Facebook remove anything political that could be spun. Now they're doing that. Great. Now you want to complain about that?

Listen, I'm going to be honest. No one gives a gently caress about war crimes beyond a "Oh no, this is horrible" thing. If you asked people to contribute a dollar to fighting them you'd get zero dollars.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

echelon 1 hour ago [–]

I loving hate the modern Internet. Everybody takes and nobody gives. We've regressed from the 90's/00's.

These platforms only care about lock-in. Spotify doesn't really add anything. The only convenience over Winamp is social sharing.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think that poster literally might not understand that spotify can play music that is not on your local machine

gonna be a real shock when someone tells him about netflix

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
PaulHoule 1 hour ago [–]

I have gotten into the hobby/habit of printing at least one "thing" a day with artistic intent. That could be:

* an anime character printed with a thermal receipt printer * a 4x6 card with an information graphic I rendered with CSS Grid * a shutterfly envelope to family in New England, etc.

most of the time I am starting with an image somebody else made, but there is a lot of judgement involved with fitting the image to paper and process -- it is a bridge between the world of digital images that I work and play in and the real world.

I go through printers the way rock stars go through guitars and what to do with the e-Waste is already part of the product.

I am amazed the the HP Officejet 6600 which just failed on me -- despite the expensive ink, the quality of the work it could do is astonishing.

It stopped picking up paper because something (like a little plastic gear) broke in the drive chain for the pick roller. To be fair all the rollers looked pretty worn -- the printer had been heavily used by a college professor. It's possible we could have fixed it but considering the cost of the next ink refill, I chose to get another printer.

If I were going to salvage the old printer I think I would go for the stepper motors, which would be great for robotics and other mechatronic projects.

---

I badly want to hack an inkjet printer to print white ink onto transparencies and then put it into a second printer to take a PNG with alpha like

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:793Nihilego.png

and make a sticker that could go in a window. Commercial kits to do this cost about as much as a good DSLR lens and they are a business expense to people who are making large quantities of swag.

It's a good market case for the "open source 2d printer" however. It's one thing to get white ink compatible with the printer, it's another thing to get the transfer function between "75% transparent" and a certain amount of ink into the printer's brain

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

PaulHoule 1 hour ago [–]

I have gotten into the hobby/habit of printing at least one "thing" a day with artistic intent. That could be:

* an anime character printed with a thermal receipt printer * a 4x6 card with an information graphic I rendered with CSS Grid * a shutterfly envelope to family in New England, etc.

most of the time I am starting with an image somebody else made, but there is a lot of judgement involved with fitting the image to paper and process -- it is a bridge between the world of digital images that I work and play in and the real world.

I go through printers the way rock stars go through guitars and what to do with the e-Waste is already part of the product.

I am amazed the the HP Officejet 6600 which just failed on me -- despite the expensive ink, the quality of the work it could do is astonishing.

It stopped picking up paper because something (like a little plastic gear) broke in the drive chain for the pick roller. To be fair all the rollers looked pretty worn -- the printer had been heavily used by a college professor. It's possible we could have fixed it but considering the cost of the next ink refill, I chose to get another printer.

If I were going to salvage the old printer I think I would go for the stepper motors, which would be great for robotics and other mechatronic projects.

---

I badly want to hack an inkjet printer to print white ink onto transparencies and then put it into a second printer to take a PNG with alpha like

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:793Nihilego.png

and make a sticker that could go in a window. Commercial kits to do this cost about as much as a good DSLR lens and they are a business expense to people who are making large quantities of swag.

It's a good market case for the "open source 2d printer" however. It's one thing to get white ink compatible with the printer, it's another thing to get the transfer function between "75% transparent" and a certain amount of ink into the printer's brain

brb, creating heretofore unseen images by clicking "stretch" on my desktop wallpaper settings

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"I go through printers the way rock stars go through guitars" as new thread title.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e bad post

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

carry on then posted:

brb, creating heretofore unseen images by clicking "stretch" on my desktop wallpaper settings

truly a visionary alongside DaVinci and Dali

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mrmcd posted:

"I go through printers the way rock stars go through guitars" as new thread title.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
imagine carrying all those printers

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i think ill have to give that dude a little bit of props for at least trying to make art

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

fritz posted:

i think ill have to give that dude a little bit of props for at least trying to make art

It sounds like the people he's apeing are making art whereas he's making trash for the landfill

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

idiots on hacker news posted:

frabert 14 hours ago [–]

Honestly, this point is kind of nonsense to me. If people acted as if they were held to the higher standard, we would not need licenses. People (especially when they're not acting alone, e.g. corporations) act in their monetary interest, most of the time. Hence, stick to the license that's least restrictive that still ticks all the boxes you feel are important. If you feel attribution is important, choose a license that makes it legally binding.

Brah, just because you can take from the commons without giving back doesn't mean it's acceptable. Oh wait, this is Silicon Valley where everything is predicated on raiding the commons and giving nothing back.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, and raiding each other

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What is the point he's responding to and calling nonsense?

Without that context, it doesn't read like he's defending abuse of permissive licenses. It reads like he's encouraging people to use suitably restrictive licenses, precisely because otherwise companies will exploit them to the full extent of the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
'Near extinction' of influenza in NZ as numbers drop due to lockdown (rnz.co.nz)

I'm cherry picking all the bad ones because I'm a kiwi and this thread is really something else. I just can't imagine people looking at our close to zero death rate, our open local economy and going ~yeah, but at what cost, their freedom!~ lmfao. what a bunch of complete morons.

easytiger 1 hour ago
And all it took was the almost complete destruction of society and our way of life. #worthit

konjin 55 minutes ago
Me neither. This would be the most anti-immigrant and anti-tourist policy I could imagine and something a far right government in an Eastern European hell hole would implement to keep undesirables away.
That it's being celebrated as a victory by supposed progressives is giving me a headache. Turns out immigrants are dirty disease carriers who we must be isolated from the rest of us clean volk.

dpc_pw 24 minutes ago
People chearleading lockdowns here, are completely misguided. There's really no evidence that it were masks or lockdowns. (There's really no evidence that mask and/or lockdowns do absolutely anything to COVID or flu, now or in the past, BTW).
It's more likely that COVID just out-competed the normal flu.

bbarn 59 minutes ago
New Zealand is a tiny island with an authoritative government with a history for banning anything they don´t like and completely shut down the country. I'm still not sure why everyone praises this nation for it's response - they implemented extreme measures on the people and closed the doors - that's not innovative, it's just fear on a massive scale.

ed25519FUUU 51 minutes ago
I guess I have a hard time understanding this strategy outside of an expectation of a viable, long-term vaccine. Aren’t you simply just trying to wait it out? It’s not like the virus is going to give up after a few years.
A slowly building immunity among the lowest risk group seems like a better long term strategy, and put the old and at risk people into something like New Zealand.