Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Annointed posted:

“subaru you got to eat the eggs”

Now, I'm imagining Subaru flanked by Echidna and Ram telling him to eat a jar of pennies, Venture Brothers style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
What is the egg thing a reference to.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
smash man eat the eggs

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

And yet the Harem King IF story exists.
It exists and Tappei is forever ashamed of making it.

There is also the Greed IF that I can now talk about if you guys want (If Subaru accepted Echidna's offer).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From what Subaru said, about her attitude being superficial, and her just dropping the act at the end. I am guessing all of her attitude gaffs included were a act to get him to trust her more. She already has been able to read through his memories. She could easily just act in a way to make herself more trustworthy to him so he would accept this deal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what Subaru said, about her attitude being superficial, and her just dropping the act at the end. I am guessing all of her attitude gaffs included were a act to get him to trust her more. She already has been able to read through his memories. She could easily just act in a way to make herself more trustworthy to him so he would accept this deal.

If true that would explain why she acts a lot like Emilia? But I'm not really convinced its totally an act.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

It exists and Tappei is forever ashamed of making it.

There is also the Greed IF that I can now talk about if you guys want (If Subaru accepted Echidna's offer).

Maybe after the next cours. e: whoops double posted by accident.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Echidna: gently caress around and find out

As a garbage person myself, highly relatable and I only like her more, even if Subaru should probably tell her to gently caress off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm pretty sure that Echidna is doing all of this in service of her one true goal: sticking it to Satella.

First off, she gained Subaru's trust, and engineered a situation where Subaru would stab himself to get out of Satella's clutches. Satella didn't like that one bit.

After that, we've got the current situation. Subaru went to try and start up another tea party, but for some reason, it kicked off the second round of the trial instead. That was Echidna, breaking down Subaru so he would be ready to accept a helping hand when it was offered to him. She sent the witch of Lust in there first, which is a weird curveball, but whatever. When she offered the contract, Subaru was ready to accept it.

Now, it stand to reason that the witch of ENVY wouldn't be happy about someone else getting their mitts on her boy. I think there may be more to it than that, though. The other witches implied that a contract with Echidna would be an exclusive contract. What if Subaru currently has a contract with Satella? A new contract would overwrite it. That might even cause him to lose his RFD power. In any case, it would definitely piss off Satella, which seems to be Echidna's main objective.

That makes no sense at all, unless we assume that literally everything we know about her (like her greed for knowledge, etc) has been a lie. It's much more reasonable to assume that she's being honest about what she wants from him, which is to experience literally everything in the world by making Subaru die in every possible way.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If true that would explain why she acts a lot like Emilia? But I'm not really convinced its totally an act.

The biggest clue that it's not entirely an act is that she didn't seem to realize that her speech would turn him off. The whole point is that she doesn't truly understand him enough to only tell him what he wants to hear.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Clarste posted:

The biggest clue that it's not entirely an act is that she didn't seem to realize that her speech would turn him off. The whole point is that she doesn't truly understand him enough to only tell him what he wants to hear.

Yeah, I didn't take her evil looking face that she had there to mean that she had some deep and evil nefarious plan this whole time. She says that she can act like that next time they meet in reply to Subaru asking why she isn't contradicting him when he's asking if what the other witches are saying is true. It really seems like she just doesn't grasp why he would be upset at all and her solution to that is to decide that what he wants is to have her react and a less pleasant manner when he asks why she isn't upset at what the other witches are saying.

this is honestly pretty consistent with how the witches in general have been acting. I think we've gone over this before but they really seem like Faye creatures rather than people who are driven by one and only one impetus. A lack of empathy would be entirely consistent with her as the witch of greed.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/edomonogatari/status/1308984773453516800

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That is a legit incredible single take.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
That speech presentation was pretty impressive in text too...

Got Nishio Ishin vibes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZzC8rl9l9w&t=1s

Rem: give up and leave everything to me
Subaru: very sus! emergency meeting!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZzC8rl9l9w&t=1s

Rem: give up and leave everything to me
Subaru: very sus! emergency meeting!

Haha I understood that reference!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Looking forward to Satella discussing her motivations. Why pull some (seemingly) random jerk from a different reality into this reality?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sankara posted:

Looking forward to Satella discussing her motivations. Why pull some (seemingly) random jerk from a different reality into this reality?

Because she loves him, duh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Satella wants to join the track team and only Subaru can prepare her.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

That speech presentation was pretty impressive in text too...

Got Nishio Ishin vibes.

First thing I thought of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQDTj1UllA&t=236s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It was even longer in the WN:

The Entire Freakin' John Galt Speech

quote:

“This attribute you have, RETURN BY DEATH, is an incredible authority. In the truest of meanings you cannot comprehend its utility. Not permitting the ends contrary to your desires, conducting countless redos, reaching for the future countless times—for a researcher, this is near the ultimate ideal. I mean, wouldn't it be? The result of any event will fundamentally, once a single result has been reached, remain put. If you are still midway through the process of reaching a result, you can make varied hypotheses as to what the result will be. If using this approach, or otherwise if using these conditions, varied hypotheses and varied investigations are possible. But, if you are to experiment with the purpose of producing a result, then the results, testable hypotheses, and investigations will inevitably subsume into a single aggregate. Recreating completely, and I mean completely identical conditions is impossible. No matter what conditions you arrange, you cannot recreate the exact same conditions as you previously did. If you tried different methods back then, what result would you now procure? That question is one us researchers will never attain the answer for, nothing more than a dream existing in the forward path of what is ideal. For me and my MEMORIES OF THE WORLD, I indeed have means to KNOW the answer, I certainly do. Do, but I don't consider using that method, utilizing that method, as anything good. It's that I want TO KNOW, not TO HAVE KNOWN. The thing creates this terrible contradiction, for me you could call it abominable. But I'm getting off topic here so returning back to the point... right, we researches have to accept results as being entirely singular, and for us who possess only one means of observation, your existence, your authority, is something we desperately crave. You can run DIFFERING INVESTIGATIONS under IDENTICAL CONDITIONS, you can see SEPARATE RESULTS differing from the FUNDAMENTAL RESULT. That is the ultimate authority—how could you not want it? With this power right in front of you, how could you not test everything? Though of course, I have no intention to force you to do that. It is entirely that, for you achieving your own purposes, you will utilise RETURN BY DEATH a lot. And I will also devote my best so that we reach the future you desire. During that process, I would like to get your extensive contribution to sating my curiosity. When that is all I'm asking I'm sure there's no punishment to be invoked. You will get to witness answers. I will get to sate my curiosity. Our mutual interests coincide. Since I don't know the answers either, there of course could be no instance where I purposefully lead you down an incorrect path, and you consequently meet a gruesome demise. I don't initially know the correct answer when faced with a problem, and in that sense I am entirely the same as you. In the sense of us puzzling over the same problems, struggling on, attempting to reach an answer together, I am sure you should call us unmistakably comrades. I can state that firmly and not with the slightest of embarrassment. I think very fondly of you, in the sense that you give me more methods for preforming investigation, and so I pledge that I would never do anything that would be improper consideration of you. But of course, I'm sure we will naturally encounter problems where even with my assistance, easy surmountation of the problem will be impossible. While I may be able to assist you as a font of knowledge, that doesn't mean I can at all interfere with reality. Should we face a physical obstacle blocking your path, that sort of problem where force is necessary, I will not be able to help you. Times upon times, potentially even hundreds or thousands of times, your mind and body may be broken. But even should that hypothetically happen, I would sincerely wish to preform your mental care. That that desire is without any intermingling from my researcher's interest to not part with something useful is not something I can assert. But that said, it is entirely truth that I think of you and your existence fondly, and that I want to aid you. I don't want you to think badly of me. And I know I'm repeating myself, but I can say with pride that I am a presence useful for achieving your goals. Yes, just as I am considering in a sense to utilize you for the purpose of sating my greed called curiosity, you can likewise utilize me for your goal of REACHING THE OPTIMUM FUTURE. To be that kind of overly convenient girl you can take advantage of, for me, is entire satisfaction. If doing so will motivate you, then I will gladly submit my being to you. Although the question of whether you're interested in this deceased and impoverished body would have to be be another topic. Oop, saying that might've been a foul against your loves. Your loves—the silver half-elf, and the blue-haired oni girl. The girls you will save no matter what, who you will stringently protect, having from your heart pledged to do so and through your actions exhibited that volition. Putting my thoughts on the state of your heart and the way it harbours such strong emotion for two girls aside as something I will not state here, I will assert that the height of the walls you must scale will be beyond imagination. How many unmanagable obstacles do you have lined up before you in present reality just that you know of? Your resolve to try and surmount these problems by yourself is honourable, and incredibly tragic. I want to be your aid on this path, with my hopes to be that aid not being anything fabricated in the least. You should definitely utilize these desires of mine. You need to take everything you can possibly have, use everything that you can possibly utilize, and by doing entirely that save the people with which you have bonds. That is the firm conviction you yourself had pledged, which you have fully understood as being a necessary and painful path. And so I will question you, I will repeat with you, I will have feelings for you. The path you walk by throwing away your life is something that ironically only just got certified in the form of the second TRIAL. With how you could almost mistake that TRIAL as having been there to make you comprehend what it is this path you have walked, you could perhaps even think the thing necessary. Of course the reality is it wasn't necessary, and it was the kind of experience which damaged your mind. But if it's between a state of not knowing and a state of yes knowing, no matter how grievous a truth it is, I'd consider the latter more valuable. Up until now, and also from now own, you will need you present your life as compensation for RETURN BY DEATH, and in doing so wrest in the future. That there are perhaps people who've been sacrificed for this purpose, and that these worlds in this fashion PERHAPS MIGHT EXIST was something necessary for you to have put in mind. Someday, you'll cease to feel any emotion when it comes to paying with your life, your human emotions will wane, you'll cease to be rattled by the DEATHS of those precious to you, you'll submerge into a life of impassive, indifferent inertia, and even should you reach the optimum future, you will be reaching it as an impaired version of yourself—for the sake of avoiding this kind of future, where the only thing that remains is a feeling of vain, it was necessary. No, there is not a single worthless thing in the world, everything is a necessary route taken, a needed piece to the puzzle. The TRIAL was necessary for you to comprehend that. If you require a tenable rationalization and pretext as to why you have hit a standstill, then adopt this stance. And I will validate that stance of yours. If my words can give you the strength you need to continue forward, then my words will I give to you. Whether they be comforts, tough motivators, whispers of love, provokers of loathing, if they will give you assistance then without any hesitation will I exercise them for you. And although you might detest it, you unconditionally need the assistance of someone like me on your path forward. If you're to proceed along a road of unavoidable pain and solitude, you absolutely need someone to walk alongside you without ever taking their eyes from the path. And if the person we're talking about to fill that role is me, not anyone else, but me, then I can walk that road alongside you without any problem at all. I will repeat it, I will restate it, I will convey it countless times until it reaches you. —You must need me. And I absolutely need you. Your presence is essential. My curiosity simply cannot be fulfilled without you. You are the only being which can sate me. You, you will surely grant me the quenching of my unquenchable GREED. Your presence is already indispensable for me as I dwell in this closed world. If you should wish to be somebody's hope, to execute your power to clear the world open, could my piteous self perhaps not partake in your leftovers? If you could concentrate any of that great kindness unto me, then I'd hesitate not a second to devote to you my being, my knowledge, my soul. I'm begging you. I want you to trust me. That I hadn't attempted to communicate you my true motives was assuredly no attempt to deceive you, nor any attempt to hide it from you. It was just a matter of choosing the right time. If here, at this instant I appealed with a fragment of my true intention, you surely would've left me. That would be an unbearable loss for me. And of course for you also, in the sense of distancing yourself from the future you seek, it undoubtedly should be regarded as a definite loss as well. Someday, being that you have your attribute of RETURN BY DEATH, you will surely reach the future you seek. But, it's obviously best that the compensation you pay in reaching that future be little. If it's me, when it's me, a greater sparsity is possible in that compensation. Everything goes so long as ultimately you reach the desired future—and such kind of inhuman thinking, ignoring the small goals for the large ones, is what I'd prefer you not mistake this for. Being caught by a temptation, and so desiring to view the outcome of some certain situation, I may notice something necessary for reaching the optimum track but not mention it—is the kind of action I absolutely would not do, is not how great a check I have on my cravings to be able to plainly assert. I will acknowledge that. But, I will not deceive you. If hypothetically we assume that I do dip my hands into some trust betraying deed like that, I would under no circumstances do anything to keep it hidden from you. I would absolutely reveal it to you. And I would devote everything I have to you to make up for that damaged trust. No matter what happens, I will assuredly send you off to your desired optimum future. Absolutely, unconditionally. And so having rationalized this clearly as a necessary measure, won't you choose me? Once the contract is made, I will follow along exactly exactly as your desires and demands there state. After that comes the conversation of just how much you can devote yourself to your wish, your wanted wish, your desired wish. My resolve is just as I stated. Now is to hear what is your resolve. I want you to prove to me that you, having formed a contract with me and acquired my collaboration, have the mettle to without fail reach the future. Once you accomplish so then for the first time, you may boast that you bested the second TRIAL. And from there proceed to the third TRIAL, overcome it, and complete the liberation of SANCTUARY. When you consider the calamity to befall your loves and those precious to you, this is indeed exactly a TRIAL you must surmount. I want you to show me that you have the strength, the resolve to overcome it. And from there you will plunder me, utilize my knowledge, and procure what lies ahead. What I desire of you, demand of you, and can offer you in return is there at a full stop. I sincerely, honestly, willed here to reveal you everything. And so now with everything stated what is it you will decide? —That answer is what I'd like you to tell me. For the sake of sating a fragment of my curiosity too, of course.”

—Says Echidna, smiling sweetly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Does the typeface in the original get larger and more disjointed the longer it goes on?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Did anyone else get Homestuck vibes from the varying caps?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Does the typeface in the original get larger and more disjointed the longer it goes on?

not in the original webnovel but this is 1 fifth of the script in Japanese

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kazy posted:

Not at first but my partner made a comment about how every failed timeline is important as acting like a cog that fits into the ultimate goal of the one true Subaru timeline and that does really feel a lot like how failed timelines were treated jn homestuck

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazy posted:

Nope.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's going to be funny when some nerds make the inevitable "Single Timeline" edit of this season, and it ends up being maybe an hour long. :v:

The question would be if you should include all the interactions at the tea parties.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
would the tea parties be a single run? i assumed the witches just read subarus mind for the details of past tea parties.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd guess it would depend on your intention of a "single timeline" edit, really. If it's to show how he'd look to an outside observer, I'd be inclined to keep all of the tea parties out of it, since nobody alive except Subaru and Satella would know about them. If you included Echidna in that, she can call up all his memories so she'd know all the other timelines anyway, which kind of defeats the purpose of an edit. Though if you want everything Subaru experiences only on the true timeline, that's already got at least the first tea party (which was before the first trial, which was before the checkpoint), so it would be kind of a weird disappearance of Echidna if the other two aren't able to make it in the true timeline as well, especially since that's the one Subaru's supposed to forget it until he's allowed to remember during a failed loop (which would get cut). The latter kind of edit I might think you'd at least want the rest of the parties (though you probably wouldn't know what the deal with the handkerchief is unless he uses it again sometime later).

My personal preference is a "living outside observer" edit for maximum "this is what Subaru looks like to everyone around him."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlternateNu posted:

It's going to be funny when some nerds make the inevitable "Single Timeline" edit of this season, and it ends up being maybe an hour long. :v:

Reaching the save point alone would take an hour (as it's until the end of episode 3, and only skips his initial cutesy moment with Petra and Emilia in the carriage and subsequent suicide upon discovering what happened to Rem), then he returns from following Emilia into the tomb ready for the True Timeline - and with some many situations needing to be dealt with simultaneously, I believe it's going to be a trip unto itself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So what the gently caress is Puck doing that's so goddamn important right now that he can't be helping out Emelia.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what the gently caress is Puck doing that's so goddamn important right now that he can't be helping out Emelia.

Probably being kept sealed by the barrier?

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD
At this point I'm assuming there is some Roswaal fuckery going on that is keeping Puck sealed in his effort to further isolate Emilia.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I mean, puck knew he wouldn't be able to be here. So he's in on it to a degree.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 28, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIvzRhX1Ruc

Last Episode Preview before the break!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIvzRhX1Ruc

Last Episode Preview before the break!

PV Skit posted:

Subaru: Behold an unthinkable present.
Roswaal: Welcome home, Suba-tan. Do you want dinner? Or before that, to take a bath? Or you want to~ sleep with me? Uhu...
Subaru: Yeah, that is definitely an unthinkable present but I don't mean that!
Roswaal: Ohh~ Suba-tan is a pervert...

Subaru: Behold an unthinkable present!!!
Ram: Welcome home, Barusu! Urgent: please prepare dinner at once. Menu? Oh, right. I want something with high-end beef, at least 3000 yen / gram. Oh, please prepare the bath as well. You can keep the water flowing.
Subaru: Well~ that is somewhat thinkable though. But also not that!

Emilia: Welcome home, Subaru.
Subaru: Yes! Yes! This one! This is the unthinkable Emilia scene that I have not seen with my eyes, please show me now Emilia-tan.
Emilia: Can you not talk to me so casually?! You haven't paid the Emilia-tan tax for this month. That kind of sloppy behavior, what kind of human being are you?
Subaru: NOT THAT!!!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
omg... subaru loves Rem,,, you see her in his flashbacks.... :pleading_face:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Toalpaz posted:

omg... subaru loves Rem,,, you see her in his flashbacks.... :pleading_face:

He never said he didn't.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously, he was getting himself psyched up to ask if Emilia was down for a threesome when she dropped the "Who's Rem?" bomb.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Only just got to catch up on this weeks before the new episode comes out.

I am in agreeance with the posters in this thread that said the Witches are on a different wavelength to humans. Echidna is clearly just driven by her greed for knowledge, it is like a bottomless pit within her that she tries to fill. While she did try to charm Subaru and may have some affection for him, she is primarily driven by how RBD would allow her to further her knowledge. We have already heard multiple times that she was looking for to achieve a form of immortality, RBD would be just another version of that to her. She will just take the long way around to every solution if she gets her deal. It seems like you could get more out of it if you were Subaru, but I doubt it would be worth the risk. You cannot really trust them as loyalty probably is not a concept, they are familiar with; or at least Echidna is. I would guess she probably lifted mannerisms and habits he would find endearing to win his favour. Like others said she is a psychopath driven by greed at her core.

They are a lot more like gods, demigods, and fae beings. Echidna was open about it at times by declaring herself to be a Witch even if it was delivered in a humorous way. It seems like the Witches themselves are on differing levels of this though, since some of them clearly felt sorry for Subaru or felt guilt about what they did; so, they intervened during the proposal of the deal.

Regarding the whole different times lines discussion, I do not think they will go down that path. It would be very messy and seemed more like the trial trying to play on his underlying guilt and concern; like how the first one attempted to trap him in his past unless he faced it.

One thing I am curious about is how the Witches are meeting and whether they are trapped in different "sanctuaries". Since Echidna already misrepresented how they swap places, I am curious as to how much more she excluded from her explanation.

Looking forward to Satella showing up at the tea party, I am curious as to why she isn't already a ball of swirling shadows based on what Subaru said to her last; maybe only Echidna gets to read his mind? They could be partially neutered in that realm, though that seems doubtful based on all the other witch appearances we have seen. Typhoon was still able to judge and Minerva was still able to fix.

Not looking forward to having a break till next year; maybe I should have waited for the director’s cut again. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maaaaaan. That doesn't feel like a stopping point for a split cour at all!