Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I know arrow does this a lot, I got a blu of One Cut of the Dead from them that had a r2 badge but played fine in my American ps4.

Euro discs in general do this a lot. Someone mentioned Deadly Games/Dial Code Santa/Game Over before coming to blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome (?) and there was already a German release that is labeled as R2 but it's actually region free. I always check blu-ray.com about that, they usually have that information. Especially since if you're buying from Amazon a lot of the information on there about video releases is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome Flash Black Friday presale is tomorrow.

They also spilled the beans on what VSU is

quote:

VSU...You've probably been wondering what in the hell it means. We've seen some pretty wild and creative guesses but in anticipation of our Black Friday 2020 Flash Pre-order, coming this Friday, we think we need to kill the rumors and unveil the truth.

VSU = Vinegar Syndrome Ultra...as in UHD. Each VSU release will be an extra special edition UHD/Blu-ray combo pack, beginning with an internationally beloved early 80s, genre blending classic.

So you might be asking yourself "why another sub-label or spin-off?" Well, similar to VSA, these releases will not have a set frequency or yearly quantity. They'll happen as they happen. We have a couple more that we're working on, but no set plans for when they'll drop. However, just as significant, these titles might not 100% gel with the 'deeper cuts' and 'trashier' offerings many VS devotees expect and demand.

We want VSU to be a home for future RAD type titles. We saw an unexpected amount of diversity in responses to that release, ranging from excitement, to confusion, to disappointment. And we get it. Over our 8 years, VS has morphed and evolved to satisfy audience demands, while also trying to stay true to our original intention of being a home for genre films of all types (as long as they were shot on film) that were at the risk of being overlooked, forgotten, and lost, or that we simply decided needed love that they wouldn't get elsewhere. But not every film is for everyone. VSU titles are not, for the most part, going to be focused on sex and violence, which is not to say they won't include it. They're not necessarily going to be 'art' films or 'mainstream' movies either, but instead films that straddle and bend those lines a bit more than what's come to be expected with VS titles.

For subscribers (Yearly and those who picked up a Halfway package), the inaugural VSU release WILL BE INCLUDED in your subscription (and no matter what you thought of RAD, the pedigree(s) on this one should have you smiling from ear-to-ear). Future VSU titles, whenever they might emerge, will not be included in future packages but subscribers will receive exclusive discount codes (as with VSA) if they choose to pick any up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A movie I've been waiting for finally went on preorder. It's a super limited release, they're only doing 200 blurays... and 50 VHS tapes.

Is that a thing? Are there VHS nerds now?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Where you been, VHS tape heads have been kickin it for a decade. Really picked up about five years ago.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

(that one senator they interview in Fahrenheit 9/11 voice) sit down, my child

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

A movie I've been waiting for finally went on preorder. It's a super limited release, they're only doing 200 blurays... and 50 VHS tapes.

Uh, which one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Crowned posted:

Uh, which one?

Howl From Beyond The Fog, the giant monster movie where the humans are played by puppets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6Yqq6kBxs

https://srscinemastore.com/products/howl-from-beyond-the-fog-bluray

https://srscinemastore.com/products/howl-from-beyond-the-fog-vhs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

I kinda scoffed at VHS nerds for a long time, but lately I’ve been grabbing horror movies that never made the jump to DVD or Blu and there’s a certain charm to popping in a VHS for the first time in like 20 years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Origami Dali posted:

Where you been, VHS tape heads have been kickin it for a decade. Really picked up about five years ago.

Brexit the Frog posted:

(that one senator they interview in Fahrenheit 9/11 voice) sit down, my child

What's the appeal? I'm sure I don't have to list all the ways VHS tapes are the worst media storage system. You'd think if people were gonna bring a defunct media back it would be laserdiscs, you get that nice huge coverart. Or even beta, for tech nerd points and Vaporwave style

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's pure nostalgia for most

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

What's the appeal? I'm sure I don't have to list all the ways VHS tapes are the worst media storage system. You'd think if people were gonna bring a defunct media back it would be laserdiscs, you get that nice huge coverart. Or even beta, for tech nerd points and Vaporwave style

VHS worked when you're watching a 4:3 27" SD

It's unwatchable on a 16:9 65" 4k.

There was some VHS rip of Sleepaway Camp on Tubi I tried to watch last year. I made it about 5 minutes before I found it on Pluto in HD, which was the much better option.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Oh you have no idea. There's a small but very crazy subculture of VHS collectors who will pay out the rear end for esoteric poo poo no one cares about a lot of which is unwatchable trash. Or they'll shell out a couple hundred bucks for something like Halloween or Texas Chain Saw Massacre because it was released on this label or that. I have a friend who spends hundreds and hundreds of dollars on absolute garbage that some weirdo from Lebanon sends him. I don't understand it at all.

Gripweed posted:

What's the appeal?

They're nuts. They're all loving nuts. It's such a small subculture that all these guys more or less know each other at least by name. Admittedly some of the poo poo my friend has is cool stuff and I have a VCR for the occasion when something I want to see is only on tape. But these guys are next level.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If I could get a movie in its proper aspect ratio, I'd be fine watching VHS, crappy picture and all. Unfortunately that's very rarely the case.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

If I could get a movie in its proper aspect ratio, I'd be fine watching VHS, crappy picture and all. Unfortunately that's very rarely the case.

The guys I'm talking about are next level. They're not just sitting around watching Jurassic Park on tape.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's kind of weird to think that once upon a time we were perfectly fine with pan and scan poo poo, and it just drives me up a wall in TYOOL 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I have a 27inch Wega trinitron that I use for old games systems and VHS tapes. I mainly use it to watch the old poo poo I recorded on tape in the late 80s/early 90s since I've been living in a deep regressive nostalgia hole since quarantine. I've also got a small but quality horror tape collection of about 20 titles that I've had since the old days. Sometimes you just want to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a really raw rear end low grade format.

I've never paid more than 2 bucks for a tape tho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

The guys I'm talking about are next level. They're not just sitting around watching Jurassic Park on tape.

Are they loving them or what?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They're inserting them into their stomach vagina VCRs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saved my dad’s Beta copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark from the trash, but that was entirely just out of nostalgia because it’s how I first saw the movie. I just have it sitting on top of a shelf next to some other Indy stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish I was into VHS collecting. There's a vaporwave album called Dream Sequins by NMESH. Last month, it got turned into a full length movie. And they did a limited VHS release along with it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ngl, I'd probably shell out embarrassing dollars for Halloween night tape recordings of cable tv station broadcasts from like 1985-1993.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's kind of weird to think that once upon a time we were perfectly fine with pan and scan poo poo
The first gift I ever bought for my mother was a widescreen copy of Die Hard with a Vengeance on VHS in a gold clamshell case because she didn't raise a dummy (debatable).

Origami Dali posted:

Sometimes you just want to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a really raw rear end low grade format.
I really don't.

I get the idea that there are thousands of movies that aren't available on anything other than VHS, though. But people rummaging through Salvation Armies picking up Disney tapes baffles me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My last VHS tape was a widescreen copy of The Matrix. Watched the hell out of it. Thanks grandma.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

caligulamprey posted:

The first gift I ever bought for my mother was a widescreen copy of Die Hard with a Vengeance on VHS in a gold clamshell case because she didn't raise a dummy (debatable).

Heh, that was the 20th Century Fox Special Editions that were released in widescreen. I had Broken Arrow and Aliens in those cases.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Origami Dali posted:

Ngl, I'd probably shell out embarrassing dollars for Halloween night tape recordings of cable tv station broadcasts from like 1985-1993.

I just search for that kind of stuff on YouTube and other sites. Lots of people do commercial compilations and sometimes shows with the commercial breaks.
https://youtu.be/Z0Q28Y7RnGA

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Liar Lyre posted:

I just search for that kind of stuff on YouTube and other sites. Lots of people do commercial compilations and sometimes shows with the commercial breaks.
https://youtu.be/Z0Q28Y7RnGA

I forgot to mention, I also spend an embarrassing amount of time scouring youtube and archive.org for that very thing. I got a playlist of nothing but Halloween commercial reels and horror hotline numbers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Are they loving them or what?

They might as well be.

Origami Dali posted:

Just get :filez: and transfer them to tape.

caligulamprey posted:

I really don't.

I get the idea that there are thousands of movies that aren't available on anything other than VHS, though. But people rummaging through Salvation Armies picking up Disney tapes baffles me.

I hear a lot of "I want to watch TCM on a lovely old tape." and I get why but I would never want to. The movie is beautiful visually. That's one of the best things about it. The end scene is one of the most memorable shots in horror history because it's against the background of a blazing yellow Texas morning. The night time scenes have eerie moonlit glow. The close ups of the spiders as the soundtrack plays a gross insectoid crinkling sound. Hell, any close up in that film. The filth and squalor of the house. The uncanny valley effect of Leatherface's eyes peering out from behind a human mask. I can't imagine the idea of wanting to miss any detail. I saw the movie on tape several times as a kid/teenager but when I finally saw the Dark Sky DVD I was blown away. The movie came to life like I never before. I loved it before but there and then it became one of my all timers. People like to watch bad transfers of it because it gives it more of a documentary or verite feel I guess, but if you want to see it in that context then you must watch it on blu-ray or at least that Dark Sky DVD. It never looks more like the real thing than that. If I recall correctly blu-ray is the closest resolution to 16mm on home video (at least pre-UHD) and that's how the movie was shot. It makes perfect sense to watch it that way. The beautiful cinematography heightens the horrible grotesquery of the film. I will stand by the fact that The Texas Chain Saw Massacre isn't just one of the best ever horror films but generally deserves a place in what people consider the canon of great classic films.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 25, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

There was a theater near me that projected cult classics on VHS occasionally.

They hooked a DVD/VHS player up to the system to play them, and the default bootup screen showed a DVD logo, which drew boos from the crowd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

fenix down posted:

There was a theater near me that projected cult classics on VHS occasionally.

They hooked a DVD/VHS player up to the system to play them, and the default bootup screen showed a DVD logo, which drew boos from the crowd.

Alamo used to do Video Vortex, which was VHS/made-for-tv/public access oddities. Sometimes we’d have VHS showings at Graveyard Shift if there wasn’t a better option available, like for Project Metalbeast or Full Eclipse.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

They might as well be.

Just get :filez: and transfer them to tape.

I hear a lot of "I want to watch TCM on a lovely old tape." and I get why but I would never want to. The movie is beautiful visually. That's one of the best things about it. The end scene is one of the most memorable shots in horror history because it's against the background of a blazing yellow Texas morning. The night time scenes have eerie moonlit glow. The close ups of the spiders as the soundtrack plays a gross insectoid crinkling sound. Hell, any close up in that film. The filth and squalor of the house. The uncanny valley effect of Leatherface's eyes peering out from behind a human mask. I can't imagine the idea of wanting to miss any detail. I saw the movie on tape several times as a kid/teenager but when I finally saw the Dark Sky DVD I was blown away. The movie came to life like I never before. I loved it before but there and then it became one of my all timers. People like to watch bad transfers of it because it gives it more of a documentary or verite feel I guess, but if you want to see it in that context then you must watch it on blu-ray or at least that Dark Sky DVD. It never looks more like the real thing than that. If I recall correctly blu-ray is the closest resolution to 16mm on home video (at least pre-UHD) and that's how the movie was shot. It makes perfect sense to watch it that way. The beautiful cinematography heightens the horrible grotesquery of the film. I will stand by the fact that The Texas Chain Saw Massacre isn't just one of the best ever horror films but generally deserves a place in what people consider the canon of great classic films.

I agree. It's a beautiful film and I'd never want to only watch it in a lovely transfer (though I just watched it on warped side of a grain silo a few weeks ago, and it was still great). But sometimes you're just in a mood for a certain aesthetic. Sometimes it feels utterly weird to me watching immaculate restorations of poo poo like H.G. Lewis stuff, or Last House on the Left, since I discovered all of them in tape which lended them a certain feel, but I'll still go to bluray if I'm in the mood for a 'serious' watch. But when I'm just puttering around the house, or hosting a party (rip), or getting drunk with a couple of buddies, or reliving my childhood for a minute to escape hellworld, sometimes tape is fun.

Also, I kinda miss the trailers for weird poo poo before a lot of movies on tape. I wouldn't have discovered poo poo like Death Spa or The Burning Moon without that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The only film that I'd prefer to watch in lesser quality is Trash Humpers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

We probably follow the same Facebook groups. I joined to see interesting and unusual tapes I had zero interest in ever owning because lolvhs, but drat do I stay for the drama.

Then you find about groups like VHS Misfits that are even loving loonier. I never joined that one, but I did get booted out of a UK group because I told the admin he was a dumb racist (with good cause) and funnily enough he didn’t like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

We probably follow the same Facebook groups. I joined to see interesting and unusual tapes I had zero interest in ever owning because lolvhs, but drat do I stay for the drama.

Then you find about groups like VHS Misfits that are even loving loonier. I never joined that one, but I did get booted out of a UK group because I told the admin he was a dumb racist (with good cause) and funnily enough he didn’t like that.

Oh yeah, there is so much weird drama. I have two friends that are into that bullshit and I've heard several stories and listened to them discussing all the updates. It's part of why I was saying those people are so loving nuts. And I guess people constantly try to post nudes and dick pics.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I haven’t seen that aspect but yet I’m not surprised in the slightest.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bought a box of "psychotronic" sci-fi and horror VHS home-recorded tapes off a guy on ebay a few years back who had just transferred all his stuff to DVD. Most of it is just him clearly recording a lot of rentals from the video store over the years, but there's lots of mystery tapes and they're fun to occasionally pop in and find out what's on them. Some of them were recorded off TV and have commercials and are a time-travel treat. They're great background noise when I'm cooking or cleaning or whatever, and he usually has multiple movies on each tape that are similar in subject matter or tone so they're great fodder for double or triple features. Reminds me of just leaving the SciFi Channel on all day when I was a kid.

Most of the appeal is nostalgically visual, though, with all of the hand-written labels and dozens of different blank VHS box art styles from the 80s and 90s. I got to use them in a music video I shot for a friend a few months back which retroactively justified my purchase.

I also bought a retail VHS of The Blob '58 and a Japanese Creature from the Black Lagoon VHS to put on my shelf for display purposes next to my Japanese Laserdiscs of Creepshow and Videodrome because I'm a dweeb.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 25, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do find the actual packaging and presentation of VHS interesting still. Early home video had that weird magic of "Hey, you can OWN a movie", and also early prerecorded cassettes were expensive so they tried to make the packaging nice. And on the lower end, the smaller releases tended to have weird art and graphic formats. I still find myself looking a lot at this page of VHS Box Art for Godzilla and other Toho movies.

But yeah I don't need the tapes, unless it's something that I really haven't seen on any other format.

Howl From Beyond The Fog is weird, though- why is that release so drat limited? Don't do artificial scarcity, guys, if you make art, make it available to people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Stranger Thing blues for S1 at Target are done in a really great packaging that just screams tactile nostalgia.

It'd be perfect if it was the kind of chunky textured plastic from the 80s.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maybe I'm being blind but have they said if the Bluray is region free or should I be waiting for a UK announcement? Been waiting for this nearly all year.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe I'm being blind but have they said if the Bluray is region free or should I be waiting for a UK announcement? Been waiting for this nearly all year.

region free according to their Facebook page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I buy recorded tapes at thrift stores if I ever see them. Most stores throw them out.

Last one I found had a made for tv late 80s skinamax movie so it was a total score.