Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Nah. Cyril certainly has developed some competence at the spy game and a bit of a backbone.

He already had competence, the episode in the jungle with the drug lord showed that. Being around Archer kept him down since he wasn't so great at the "shooting stuff" thing but he was good at preparing for a mission and then using the knowledge to actually infiltrate whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyril has more competence, he's not doing 'suppressing fire', he's not loving up situations, and he's not a coward anymore. His problem is that he's still not as dynamic a character as Archer, which means that as good as he's gotten, when on a mission with Archer he still ends up getting punched in the face until unconscious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1308511714669780994

https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1308511716175523843

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Only the male characters would be? And Lana is absent?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

This is very confusing to me. No lana and Pam should be stronger than buff cyril anyway

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We getting a fighting game? A super hero comic?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It kinda sucks that everyone's already reverting to type. It was fun watching Archer bounce off of institutional competence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
POST COMA VOICEMAIL HOAX

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

POST COMA VOICEMAIL HOAX

Even though I knew what was going on, it was nice to see Mallory... well, maybe not even the score, but at least she's now on the board.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RIP

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Well next episode looks fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

It's Krieger. He'll have another Priest inspired van within a couple episodes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

It's Krieger. He'll have another Priest inspired van within a couple episodes.

Will he, though? If Krieger goes the way of most of the other folks on this show, he might start reverting. Not that reverting is bad in this case.

Rush loving rules.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Archer is the worst agent. Also person.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Was the jungle cat noise whenever someone jumped on the sculpture from Darcelle Jones of Team Jaguar? Darcy Carden's read felt flat, I didn't even recognize it was her until I saw her name in the credits.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Xarn posted:

Archer is the worst agent. Also person.

I can't imagine him working with anyone else voicing him either.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tarlibone posted:

Will he, though? If Krieger goes the way of most of the other folks on this show, he might start reverting. Not that reverting is bad in this case.

Rush loving rules.

:hmmyes: Kreiger needs a van tribute to Neil Peart, and there were some notable Rush albums he never used.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

pixaal posted:

I can't imagine him working with anyone else voicing him either.

He’s just got that perfect amount of nasal-ly smugness. He’s a perfect Reddit poster, who’s also a super spy.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

qirex posted:

Was the jungle cat noise whenever someone jumped on the sculpture from Darcelle Jones of Team Jaguar? Darcy Carden's read felt flat, I didn't even recognize it was her until I saw her name in the credits.

I was rewatching some Sealab and in the credit card episode Murphy buys an ocelot.

Adam Reed has things he likes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Still waiting for Adam to bring back Grizzlebee’s on this show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fartknocker posted:

:hmmyes: Kreiger needs a van tribute to Neil Peart, and there were some notable Rush albums he never used.

About a month and a half ago, I was out driving around, and was behind a pickup truck that had the words "Rush Neil Peart" hand painted on the tailgate.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Krieger's vans gave us Mallory's "rolling probable cause" line, which is still one of the all-time best of the show

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

qirex posted:

Was the jungle cat noise whenever someone jumped on the sculpture from Darcelle Jones of Team Jaguar?

Yeah! That’s how she sounds when I’m banging her!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My brain still says "Jade Falcons" when it sees this, I am sorry

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

tarlibone posted:

Rush loving rules.

Reverting from what? A couple of details have changed but he's basically the same guy. Honestly, I think that's the point the show is making about the whole cast. They seemed different at first, but that was just a surface-level understanding.

That said, Archer has yet to prove that he's wrong about being a drag on the team.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
He is a drag on the team though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And sometimes, in drag.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that house is in Hitman 2 too, now I'm wondering what it is in real life.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trabant posted:

Krieger's vans gave us Mallory's "rolling probable cause" line, which is still one of the all-time best of the show

That was a Lana line :colbert:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what we do think, Archer and Barry friends going forward? I would have sad if they offed Barry after all that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I haven't liked Barry episodes for like a decade, but somehow this was the perfect conclusion to their arc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"I hope these four little girls are just his friends, but the resemblance is uncanny." :roflolmao:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awww, Barry and Archer are friends now! That's surprisingly sweet.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Yay, the KGB is back! I always liked the modern-day cold war setting and was sad that they abandoned it in later seasons.

This episode was honestly season 1-3 quality for me; lot's of solid jokes. Cyril nodding in the background when they talked about Barry's amazing penis was a great detail.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 1, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apart from the coma references that could have been an early season episode, was so good.

I didn't watch all the coma seasons, was the song connected to anything Archer dreamed in his coma?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

Yay, the KGB is back! I always liked the modern-day cold war setting and was sad that they abandoned it in later seasons.

This episode was honestly season 1-3 quality for me; lot's of solid jokes. Cyril nodding in the background when they talked about Barry's amazing penis was a great detail.

It really feels like they have their old enthusiasm back. Part of me is hoping they get renewed for more seasons like this one, part of me is hoping they just end it this year so it can go out on a high note. I hadn’t really been following this show as it was airing since midway into S5, so I’m delighted to be into it again.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Now that they are a spy agency again, I kinda wish they would go back to being an actual organization with minor employees doing stuff in the background, the main characters having different functions, etc. They still seem to be sticking to the late-season status quo, where the agency consists entirely of the main characters, who all go on field ops as one big group.

Oh, well, the episodes are still reasonably funny, and I will be sticking around to the end.

Also, they seemed to have listened to my feedback because both of the recent episodes have had Cyril, Lana, and Archer (and Barry) handle the field missions, while the rest of the cast have their own b-plot back at the office. Just like in the good old days!

All that is missing from the first seasons is the sense of the agency being a larger organization with wacky extras doing stuff in the background, references to other agents, etc. The office building seems oddly empty with just the main cast there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think that's the point they are just starting back up and are a small elite team still which is why everyone was going on every mission. Watch them recruit every rival team they ran into to fill the roster and it ends with everyone they hated being a big happy family together. (Archer really shouldn't go for that type of ending, but since it's 2020 it might be the right ending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Didn't someone take the writing duties over from Adam Reed? That might explain the renewed enthusiasm.