Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

shut up blegum posted:

I disinherited my second son after I got an event that my wife had been cheating on me.
So both my kingdom titles would end up with my other son. Excellent. Except he died in battle, woops. Anyway, my ruler dies, and my heir is my 1 year old grandson.
Playing as a kid is pretty hard. Can't sway, can't scheme, can't hold feasts etc, your stats suck...

Luckily my previous ruler janked the crown authority up to absolute just before he died, so when the faction threatened to go to war I just gave in.
I also pressed some vassals claims, created and gave away some duchies, anything I can think of to keep my vassals from revolting.

Thank God my spymaster has great stats and really likes me for some reason. This game owns.

My heir was a 0 year old when I died. It felt like walking a tightrope to get him to 16. I felt profound sadness when I betrayed my friend who raised me because he won a crusade, became king of Jerusalem, converted, and started gobbling up my neighboring counties. I died at 65 and felt profound contentment at the full life that guy led.

Also the random event when you find out your sexuality is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What the heck is an anglian empire

My custom empire. Started out as East Anglia, became just Anglia, became the Anglian Empire.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Azhais posted:

Now combine that with the whole no vassals thing. Quick 50 duchies later and you're really talking

I did do that, yes. The North Korea strategy remains as ridiculous as it is in CK2. But also it's hilarious to have an army of super-elephants and elephant-knights that have like 800% effectiveness. I mean it get's boring VERY quickly, but it is still hilarious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

In related news I fought an AI army from Morocco with some pikemen with 910 attack. I really want to know how they did that...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
kinda wish dying from aging wasnt so sudden. unless you get that one perk which gives you a 1 year heads up, it seems silly to straight up croak with little context.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

buglord posted:

kinda wish dying from aging wasnt so sudden. unless you get that one perk which gives you a 1 year heads up, it seems silly to straight up croak with little context.

If you mouseover the heart icon in old age you’ll see that the character might be ailing or have penalties. I had a character that was ailing for a decade before the game pinged to say death in a year.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PittTheElder posted:

In related news I fought an AI army from Morocco with some pikemen with 910 attack. I really want to know how they did that...

Pikes are really long

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm trying the Malta start, it's not going well

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have maybe the trickiest succession problem I've faced yet. My current heir has great stats, he's intelligent and handsome. BUT! He's shy. I already know his reign will be short, because his grand mother had a nearly 70 year reign so his dad became king when he was 50ish, which means this guy will be nearly 50 when his dad bites the bucket. (As of this moment the king is 65 and his heir is 47). His age plus the stress from being shy means I'll have some quick turnover coming up.

The problem? He has 6 sons. The guy set to be my next heir also has great stats. He's a genuis. BUT! He's also shy. Ugh. I'm paying the price now for not paying much closer attention to my grandkids education. Usually when I have too many sons I just try and manipulate succession so the primary heir inherits the 2-3 counties that I've invested money and time into. This usually means disinheriting *maybe* one guy so that the right duchies and counties fall the way I want. But 6 sons? Holy poo poo. It's going to be a mess.

Is it usually best practice to educate heirs yourself so you have the option to avoid letting them acquire super bad traits like being shy? I'm not just talking about direct heirs either. I mean grandkids that will eventually become king themselves.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 25, 2020

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

binge crotching posted:

Disable cloud saves, it should help.
how do you do this? I'm using the PC Game Pass version

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Grey Fox posted:

how do you do this? I'm using the PC Game Pass version

the checkbox is in the save menu; this also means you can't change that setting in the middle of Ironman :(

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So one thing I like to do regarding historical games is learn interesting trivia about the times and places. That, coupled with the ineffable youtube algorithms, gave me the recommendation for the channel Tasting History, where a dude makes a recipe from an old cookbook and tells you a bit about the history around the recipe. Some of them seem pretty tasty, others... less so.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Son gay, so what?

So... my genius heir (the first genius I've had) is homosexual. Does this just reduce the chances of him having children, or eliminate them completely?

moroboshi fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 25, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

moroboshi posted:

Son gay, so what?

So... my genius heir (the first one) is homosexual. Does this just reduce the chances of him having children, or eliminate them completely?

just reduces the chance (fertility malus)

hope you get control quickly so he can focus on his family or become a seducer - you can seduce against your own sexual preference, just not your target's (e.g gay men can seduce straight women, but not gay women or straight men).

if he's young, you could make sure to marry him to a Beautiful or Fecund woman and the fertility bonus should more or less cancel that penalty out.

only Eunuchs and post-menopausal women are 100% incapable of having children

e: incorrect information based on CK2 struck out

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 25, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

moroboshi posted:

Son gay, so what?

So... my genius heir (the first one) is homosexual. Does this just reduce the chances of him having children, or eliminate them completely?

It reduces fertility by a bit. In CK2 it was by 10%, not sure if it’s the same here. It’s not that big of a deal when it comes to having kids, and you can always marry him to someone with higher fertility. You won’t have to worry about him having a bastard child with your wife or his brother’s wife or his other brother’s wife though.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I had a game where my character ended up being gay. Later I noticed that his betrothed was a lesbian. I thought maybe this would lead to less realm-splitting.

They had seven children together. They must both be great actors.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I have maybe the trickiest succession problem I've faced yet. My current heir has great stats, he's intelligent and handsome. BUT! He's shy. I already know his reign will be short, because his grand mother had a nearly 70 year reign so his dad became king when he was 50ish, which means this guy will be nearly 50 when his dad bites the bucket. (As of this moment the king is 65 and his heir is 47). His age plus the stress from being shy means I'll have some quick turnover coming up.

The problem? He has 6 sons. The guy set to be my next heir also has great stats. He's a genuis. BUT! He's also shy. Ugh. I'm paying the price now for not paying much closer attention to my grandkids education. Usually when I have too many sons I just try and manipulate succession so the primary heir inherits the 2-3 counties that I've invested money and time into. This usually means disinheriting *maybe* one guy so that the right duchies and counties fall the way I want. But 6 sons? Holy poo poo. It's going to be a mess.

Is it usually best practice to educate heirs yourself so you have the option to avoid letting them acquire super bad traits like being shy? I'm not just talking about direct heirs either. I mean grandkids that will eventually become king themselves.
shy isn't so terrible. you can compensate without too much trouble. shy and paranoid however is a nightmare.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shy by itself, you just need to build a critical mass of friends :unsmith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does losing weight work? My character is obese and ive been having him attempt to lose weight and avoiding feasts. He's still a blimp though.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I kinda ignore my stress bar when I roll shy. I put most my attention into my heir

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

buglord posted:

Does losing weight work? My character is obese and ive been having him attempt to lose weight and avoiding feasts. He's still a blimp though.

iirc it works, but the check only runs once every 3 years so the chance is currently astoundingly low

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's something like the lose weight decision drops 4 weight units every 3 years but a single feast adds 8 every time, whether you hold it or are just invited to someone else's. So it's a real uphill battle

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

buglord posted:

if you have traits like gluttonous, greedy, or lazy it's basically pointless because as excelzior said the lose weight decision is very weak and they will easily overwhelm it. paranoid seems to be a very slimming trait. it usually doesn't matter unless you are trying to stockpile a huge amount of piety for a conversion and need a very long life or something like that.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Broken Cog posted:

Tibet in general feels a bit shafted on content. No unique events, decisions, and no special buildings at all. I'm guessing we are going to see them get some love in the inevitable East Asia DLC though.

It's especially noticeable after the rise of the Mongols. No decisions to create a patron-priest relationship with the Khans? Nothing about becoming a central Asian Buddhist powerhouse, with religious influence over the Mongols, Uyghurs, Tanguts, etc? Nothing about Samye, or the rise of new Nangcho schools, or anything?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It's especially noticeable after the rise of the Mongols. No decisions to create a patron-priest relationship with the Khans? Nothing about becoming a central Asian Buddhist powerhouse, with religious influence over the Mongols, Uyghurs, Tanguts, etc? Nothing about Samye, or the rise of new Nangcho schools, or anything?
all that would be forgivable except that it takes absolutely forever to march somewhere. i tried to unite the unreformed Bon and it sucks compared to playing in Europe/MENA

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Excelzior posted:

only Eunuchs and post-menopausal women are 100% incapable of having children

When does menopause set in?

Also do vassals improve their holdings in any way? Like if they have enough income do they actually build poo poo to make their piddling city not suck, or do I have to do everything?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Gaj posted:

Also do vassals improve their holdings in any way? Like if they have enough income do they actually build poo poo to make their piddling city not suck, or do I have to do everything?

1) Menopause starts at 46. Even before that, women's fertility drops off much faster than men's. See here for more details: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Attributes#Fertility

2) They do, but you'll still end up doing the heavy lifting, and in most cases it makes more sense to invest in your own demesne. I've seen mayors improve their guilds, priests their temples etc. What they don't seem to do is prioritize buildings over all the other stuff they can spend money on.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
If you scan around the map in your realm you will occasionally see vassals building something. If you need some quick cash and prestige you can roll in and cancel the project and take the refund for yourself. :v:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gaj posted:

a woman's fertility goes to 0 at 46 years of age.

most county-level vassals don't improve their stuff because they are saving up their gold to form/usurp titles. baronies can't buy their way out of being lowborn, so your mayors/bishops/barons will improve their holding

..at least that's what i'm guessing? I'm not sure the ai actually spends gold normally

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

wizardofloneliness posted:

It reduces fertility by a bit. In CK2 it was by 10%, not sure if it’s the same here. It’s not that big of a deal when it comes to having kids, and you can always marry him to someone with higher fertility. You won’t have to worry about him having a bastard child with your wife or his brother’s wife or his other brother’s wife though.

I don't know if it actually reduces fertility at all in CK3. At least, there's nothing about it in the defines file, where a bunch of other basic fertility modifiers can be found.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ice Fist posted:

It is, yes. Also shy isn't so bad, especially if he's gonna be 60 by the time he takes the throne Edward VII style.

Excelzior posted:

most county-level vassals don't improve their stuff because they are saving up their gold to form/usurp titles. baronies can't buy their way out of being lowborn, so your mayors/bishops/barons will improve their holding

..at least that's what i'm guessing? I'm not sure the ai actually spends gold normally

Yeah I think it's this, and buying mercs to try and murk each other.

But they suddenly at like the 1200 mark something changes and they seem to have money in the bank, but they still very rarely make any attempt to improve their holdings... :iiam:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 25, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know if it actually reduces fertility at all in CK3. At least, there's nothing about it in the defines file, where a bunch of other basic fertility modifiers can be found.

Good point I merely assumed it worked like it did in CK2, my bad. If it isn't, the only effect would be from whom you are receptive to seduction schemes.

+1 to Paradox if they removed it!!!

Looking through the files, it seems I wasn't too far off on vassal spending; the Ai has a "war chest" it attempts to build with priorities to spend it on and it will be very reluctant to spend outside of it.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 25, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strudel Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't. I've had any number of pregnant wives in their 40s in CK3. My previous ruler's wife did have three miscarriages in a row, though, which is a dose of realism that frankly I could do without.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Excelzior posted:

Good point I merely assumed it worked like it did in CK2, my bad. If it isn't, the only effect would be from whom you are receptive to seduction schemes.

+1 to Paradox if they removed it!!!

Looking through the files, it seems I wasn't too far off on vassal spending; the Ai has a "war chest" it attempts to build with priorities to spend it on and it will be very reluctant to spend outside of it.

So you're saying I should always marry lesbians so as to avoid all of the drat seduction schemes with no actual downside?

Is lesbian on the character filter

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Excelzior posted:

a woman's fertility goes to 0 at 46 years of age.

Repeatedly embarking and disembarking and buying mercenaries for wars they still have no chance of winning lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobblecoque posted:

Repeatedly embarking and disembarking and buying mercenaries for wars they still have no chance of winning lol

I hope the first patch addresses embarking, I've had the ai go out to sea to bypass a 2 tile walk to a bridge over a river to advance one county

I saw someone on reddit say there's supposed to be a large malus on embarking for short trips but I sure haven't seen it. It's almost the opposite "gently caress walking, lets build some boats!"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Azhais posted:

So you're saying I should always marry lesbians so as to avoid all of the drat seduction schemes with no actual downside?

Is lesbian on the character filter
Your enemies can still fabricate false parentage for your kids though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Both of the Muslim empires are in disarray. I have been able to push the Arabian Empire almost out of Subsaharan Africa, while the Umayyads have also shattered. Since a breakaway emirate has declared independence in the desert, perhaps I can grab those southermost pieces of their empire? I mean, it looks like they have enough problems to deal with in Europe...

This is the golden generation. All nine of my children have positive traits, with the dumbest of them only being Quick (while also being Hale and Comely to make up for it). My oldest daughter is a Genius Midas Touched, though by the time my current ruler is likely to pass away she'll be pretty old too... maybe I'll designate my youngest daughter who's a Genius Mastermind Philosopher...

How is diplomatic range determined? Is it on capitals? If it's based on the extent of your realm, maybe in addition to my personal goal of founding a university (I'm at 27/40 development and things have slowed to a crawl....) I might want to take the island of Socotra and see if that lets me be friends with India lol

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

canada jezus posted:

You can get away with that, more vassals les county per duchy? You can't get usurped and whatnot?

That's right. I haven't been usurped in a duchy yet but probably because I became a king early on and gifted most duchies away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every time I see that tiny county of Fezzan on the map I remember the Fezzan that was also in a corridor between two major powers in a certain anime series...