Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
they're definintely gonna take the whole thing lamplighter was talking about, experimenting with V to make it stable, and give it to the Boys

we should prolly change the thread title to 'at least 2 nazis wear capes' or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Why was Kimiko so happy to see Starlight? Did she remember her as the one who saved them at end of Season 1, or did they have another interaction I'm forgetting

When Stormfront was showing those pics I really thought she was going to say 'that's my daughter... your mother'

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Not exactly spoilers, but
isn't Homelander all about America? Shouldn't he laser the nazi after the reveal ?? What about his ideals?

lmao, yeah, I know

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ZZZorcerer posted:

Not exactly spoilers, but
isn't Homelander all about America? Shouldn't he laser the nazi after the reveal ?? What about his ideals?

lmao, yeah, I know

This is the social commentary

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Supreme Allah posted:

Why was Kimiko so happy to see Starlight? Did she remember her as the one who saved them at end of Season 1, or did they have another interaction I'm forgetting

When Stormfront was showing those pics I really thought she was going to say 'that's my daughter... your mother'

Related to the first spoiler, yes. I must be the only one who watches it with that X-ray thing on, it said that's the only time she met her and liked her because of that.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all the test subjects were white, right?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ah poo poo I just realized who Lamplighter is -- he's the guy who played Iceman in X-men, and now he's playing Pyro

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Romes128 posted:

man with the american flag costume literally embraces nazi ideology.

subtle lmao.

more land banging a modern representation of nazi ideology and demagoguery.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Ah poo poo I just realized who Lamplighter is -- he's the guy who played Iceman in X-men, and now he's playing Pyro

Hire the entire X-men cast as extras or minor characters to see if anyone notices.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Butcher using a Hindi word, "dekho" threw me off a little bit. (It means "look")

e- So that's how they got the footage. water proof gopro

The word is used extensively here in blighty. In my locality it has changed to deek, meaning the same thing, though deeks is look at.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FuriousGeorge posted:

Maybe there's some detail I just missed, but I don't understand how they were holding her there in the first place if she could just crush the cell doors like tin cans anyway.

Lamplighter states they've broken out before when the doctor messed up their propofol dosage

Also happy at them actually going going all-in on the America literally embracing Nazism and the ACAB stuff with Stormfront and her black flag patches complaining about how she can't mete out justice the same way now that everyone has a camera before brutalizing a criminal

I remember being being pissed when Far Cry 5 pulled punches on the white supremacy in America storyline.

gently caress man these episodes are better than S1 which was fantastic

Thumbtacks posted:

still not sure what exactly vought gets out of this or at least edgar. seems like he knows everything that's going on but there's no way there's a version of THAT plan that doesn't involve him getting absolutely murdered

Considering they say they're trying to stabilize if for adults, and Stormfront who is overseeing it is the only supe we've seen so far who is ageless and seemingly one of the most damage-resistant, he's probably trying to create an immortality serum.

I'd imagine wealthy people of the world would be willing to pay at least $100 to avoid death. He could probably make thousands of dollars off that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Hire the entire X-men cast as extras or minor characters to see if anyone notices.

That cult leader does look like Hugh Jackman :o:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bioshuffle posted:

Holy poo poo. What an episode. So much to unpack. The Nazi reveal was absolutely fantastic,

And definitely not telegraphed a mile away multiple episodes ago am I right guys?

Guys?

Supreme Allah posted:

Thanks for this, I couldn't place him and was about to go to IMDB.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

PneumonicBook posted:

And definitely not telegraphed a mile away multiple episodes ago am I right guys?

There were some clues, but this is the episode that put it away. If you read the thread, I had theorized that if they were going with the Nazi direction, they would save the reveal for a big moment, and my prediction was right on the money.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
wait, she's a nazi? are we sure? isn't it possible she was just near nazis unaware of their goals? she seems mostly focused on races, that's probably why she was talking to a-train last episode - to convince him to win races for Vought.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
we have now beaten this (Nazi) horse to death

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

we have now beaten this (Nazi) horse to death

i did nazi that reveal of the racist white supremacist revealed to be a literal nazi coming

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
this show is going so heavy-handed on some of the allegories and symbolism that I bet Stormfront reveals that she was one of Vought's Jewish subjects that embraced nazism once she had a taste of power, considers herself white and despite her last name being Vought now, her birth name was Stephanie Miller

Now that I say that I had to google if Rogen had commented on him before, and he actually compared him to a comic book character oh god dont let my joke be right

text editor fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 25, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Butcher in the flashback is much closer to his comic counterpart, with the slick hair and coat. I wonder what they had on lamplighter to blackmail him.

It took some time to come around on it, because it started to feel like there weren't any left on the side of the Seven with so many defectors, but I realise that the angle they are going with the supe-army is that there will be an entire new militia of enemies to go against all the newly conscionable supes

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

text editor posted:

I'd imagine wealthy people of the world would be willing to pay at least $100 to avoid death. He could probably make thousands of dollars off that.

That seems like a very fair price to me!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That bit with Love sausage and Frenchie/MM's reaction was priceless.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Romes128 posted:

i did nazi that reveal of the racist white supremacist revealed to be a literal nazi coming

Did you see any clues? 9? That's a lot of clues!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That last scene with Stormfront and Homelander was solid. Cash and Starr have great chemistry.

You’d think Homelander would be more pro-American and anti-foreign Nazi. He accepts being the Aryan Kwisatz Haderach too easily.

e:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is the social commentary

Yeah, but Homelander has been conditioned since childhood and Homelander is about Homelander.

Cash’s accent is excellent.

This episode is packed with information. With only 8 episodes a season, they’ve got to be compact.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Automatic Slim posted:

That last scene with Stormfront and Homelander was solid. Cash and Starr have great chemistry.

You’d think Homelander would be more pro-American and anti-foreign Nazi. He accepts being the Aryan Kwisatz Haderach too easily.

e:

Yeah, but Homelander has been conditioned since childhood and Homelander is about Homelander.

This episode is packed with information. With only 8 episodes a season, they’ve got to be compact.

It’s no different than how people IRL conditioned to believe in American Exceptionalism, in no small part due to things like our involvement in WW2, resort to Nazism or Nazi adjacent white supremacism without missing a beat.

They have never cared about anything but being told how good they are and neither has Homelander.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Automatic Slim posted:

This was intentional misdirection, but im not sure to what end. I feel like they had made their point into the ground already, is there a hope? Is there another America they're going to describe? Or is it just misdirection for misdirection's sake?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The whole not so subtle subtext is that capitalists and nationalists make easy bed fellas with unabashed fascists.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lamplighter also seems like a scrub tier supe. Sure he can manipulate fire, but he still needs a source first. I bet that's the real reason he was fired from The Seven.

Yeah he seemed terrified of guns and everyone was repeatedly asking Frenchie why he didn't stop him like it was just no biggie Frenchie you should have just murdered that member of the Seven.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

We see Homelander indoctrinated as a child heavily in season one. American Exceptionalism isn’t that many steps away from any other form of supremacy but one would think Homelander would still have some of that conditioning left. Nazis are the ultimate evil in American mythology. It’s not that it’s hard to believe Homelander would eventually side with Nazis just that he did it so fast.

But this is an 8 episode season so and there’s a lot of ground to cover.

Cash and Starr did so much in one single scene.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The whole not so subtle subtext is that capitalists and nationalists make easy bed fellas with unabashed fascists.

Fair enough.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Still not quite sure how much of Stormfront's demeanor around Homelander is genuinely being intimidated vs just being smart enough to know that he's much easier to manipulate when he thinks someone is afraid of him.

There's a great little moment where he tries that thumb-on-the-neck thing that he's pulled on a few people before and even when he really puts some oomph into it she barely reacts at all. Starr's face does one of those little micro-cycles through confusion / frustration before jumping back to being self-assured, but I think he's genuinely kind of unnerved by her and the way she acts around him doesn't match up at all with that. Emotionally, she definitely throws him for a loop and he obviously doesn't like that.

Which is to say, both actors are doing a really good job of selling uncertainty about each other, like they're both kind of circling and looking for little gaps in each others' armor. But Stormfront seems to be much savvier while Homelander approaches it with the arrogance of someone who thinks they're peerless, which is pretty much classical dramatic hubris.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Fun hearing all the callbacks to other supes and little cameos.

Guy with the acid barf was a member of G-wiz in the comics (his death was more fitting in the show).

Mallory suggests Frenchie killed Cold Snap and Malchemical. I know the latter was incinerated by Butcher in the comics.

Frenchie apparently Xanax bombing a supe to keep him from hulking out sounds hilarious. I really wish there are more MacGyver ways used to take out supes.

Looks like they changed around Lamplighter a bit. So in the series they somehow got him to turn on the seven, he tries to fry Mallory but kills her grandkids instead, and both him and Frenchie are both consumed by guilt about the circumstances.

I really hope Maeve made backups because who knows what her girlfriend is going to do with that info.

I wanna hear more about fish, they need to let Deep say his piece. Deep would make an awesome Steve Irwin/environmental activist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Bioshuffle posted:

There were some clues, but this is the episode that put it away.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Boys Season 2: Turns out Nazis Wear Capes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Panfilo posted:

That bit with Love sausage and Frenchie/MM's reaction was priceless.

But they didn't recreate thatsapenis.gif, a major mistake imo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Supreme Allah posted:

I was about to say he is also Jimmy Olson on Smallville but realized that was his twin brother. He did play a random villain on the show.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Supreme Allah posted:

That cult leader does look like Hugh Jackman :o:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, it's kinda weird. It's like someone bought Hugh Jackman off wish.

I was kinda sad the truth telling didn't go a little further though. Some back history between those two would be amazing and petty as gently caress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goran Višnjić Is the cult leader. I knew I recognized him but just couldn’t place the name.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You think they seriously are going to dress Shockwave up as A Train or were they just loving with him?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What did it say on Lamplighter’s zippo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

ruddiger posted:

What did it say on Lamplighter’s zippo?

Titty committee