Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Warmachine posted:

People who are actually capable of defending themselves and exercising the judgement of when to use lethal force and when to deescalate don't post about it.

People who post about it 100% have poo poo politics and are into murderfantasy.

Having lived in Orange County for grad school for a few years, it makes 100% more sense when I found out that he's based out of there. Not saying that everyone there is a shithead (there's actually a lot of cool local activism by undocumented young people), but they have some of the most vile fashy conservatives in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

K8.0 posted:

I instantly became completely deaf and also died from a brain hemmorhage

Thread title pls.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yes, because the purpose of his channel is not to provide useful information - it is to entertain. If you want to be advertised to while being entertained, watch MKBHD. If you want useful information, watch Steve.

But what's entertaining about a video that's entirely advertising the phone? And passed off as some sort of meaningful review, even. It's bizarre

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I used to enjoy him but for some reason this year it feels like something changed. Like everything is much more corporate and a glorified infomercial. As weird as this sounds I think I started noticing when on his podcast he offhandedly mentioned Apple's style guidelines about not using an article with their products. For example, "The camera on iPhone is amazing". The more I watched the more I realized he does it to other phones as well and it drives me nuts.

I've switched to GSM Arena for actual reviews and Mr Whose The Boss for reviews/entertainment

Edit: Yes that definitely soured me on him. His recent Zuck interview has me very much thinking of finally unsubscribing.
vvvvvvvvv
Yeah I used to watch his videos every once in a while but haven't seen a single one this year either. I used to like the production values and the basic "here's what it's like to actually use" approach but recent it's been too just too whorish.

On the other hand, Tech Jesus is having none of it with the 3090 shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgs-VbqsuKo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:laffo: the guy handing him cash throughout

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I used to watch his videos every once in a while but haven't seen a single one this year either. I used to like the production values and the basic "here's what it's like to actually use" approach but recent it's been too just too whorish.

On the other hand, Tech Jesus is having none of it with the 3090 shenanigans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgs-VbqsuKo

This video was boring and the editing was boring. I want to see the mans make big faces at a TV and tell me how cool [PRODUCT] is. That's at least a fun video. /s

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This video was boring and the editing was boring. I want to see the mans make big faces at a TV and tell me how cool [PRODUCT] is. That's at least a fun video. /s

Agreed. I want to see more Buick's, more 5000W bluetooth speakers, and more $50k+ worth of used engineering/prototyping/CNC equipment to make horribly stupid ideas because all the writesr are hacks not to mention more videos' of going into Anthony's basement apartment filled with furry poo poo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

going into Anthony's basement apartment filled with furry poo poo.

Please don't kinkshame.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Please don't kinkshame.

I've prepared a statement on this piece of A4 paper with an accompanying chart:

ahem my sincerest apologies

End statement.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

I've prepared a statement on this piece of A4 paper with an accompanying chart:

ahem my sincerest apologies

End statement.

You forgot the bit about buying a modmat?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

You forgot the bit about buying a modmat?

lttstore.com

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wirth1000 posted:

lttstore.com

can I get underoos with a printed picture of a 3090FE on the front? I think it would help make me more confident.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wirth1000 posted:

Agreed. I want to see more Buick's, more 5000W bluetooth speakers, and more $50k+ worth of used engineering/prototyping/CNC equipment to make horribly stupid ideas because all the writesr are hacks not to mention more videos' of going into Anthony's basement apartment filled with furry poo poo.

I mean unironically I do want the bolded. LTT is goofing off with tech and the occasional tip and I love it. If I want serious advice I'll watch GN or HUB

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

lttstore.com

*sips egregiously*

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Can someone give me the TLDR on this this apparent Nvidia situation that is going on?

Not really been paying much attention...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Can someone give me the TLDR on this this apparent Nvidia situation that is going on?

Not really been paying much attention...

New cards = cool and good

Stock of cards = bots'n'scalpers

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just lol if you watch LTT and expect it to be anything more than a fun gently caress around with tech with info / opinion sprinkled throughout. Whole Room Watercooling was like 5 years ago, if you haven't realized at this point that the channel is a little tiny bit not educational i don't know what to say.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Linus I get. He's very clearly pivoted to just being silly. Apple guy and Unbox guy I watched while shopping for a phone and they're just not helpful. The stuff they comment on isn't useful information, it's just re-packaged marketing. And when it becomes pure entertainment without education it's not very entertaining stuff. I mostly watched Flossy Carter that guy at least uses the phone. And his cat is cute.

Most of the tech youtubers remind me a lot of watching gaming journalism go down the shitter in the 90s.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

well why not posted:

Just lol if you watch LTT and expect it to be anything more than a fun gently caress around with tech with info / opinion sprinkled throughout. Whole Room Watercooling was like 5 years ago, if you haven't realized at this point that the channel is a little tiny bit not educational i don't know what to say.

He doesn't even pass it off as educational though. He's explicitly said it's for entertainment.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Since we're talking about Linus as entertainment, I'm going to link my favorite LTT video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigN2mkQMPc

This seems far less researched and scripted than most of their videos, and you can tell he's really getting frustrated.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
:actually:

Wirth1000 posted:

New cards = hot and good

(they run cool because they mostly have very good thermal solutions but power draw is insane at over 300w)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2OCBZpzZ8

Incredible fuckery here

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's some worthless old computer, who cares

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

At least he didn't shoot the PC

mewse
May 2, 2006

Willeh posted:

At least he didn't shoot the PC

He did murder the gently caress out of it with his paper clip trick

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If the clip was carrying any significant amount of current itself it would get super hot pretty quick, but not as fast as it blew itself up. Yes I might happen to have had a paperclip shaped mark on my finger for a few days 😂

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Unbelievable. Usually he has a lot more common sense (minus the crazy gun stuff, but at least he kept that off his 8-bit guy channel) but that was painful to watch, and stupid to boot.

Cutting the PSU case rather than a slot in the screw, or just buying the right driver? Replacing a slow blow fuse with a fast blow? Using a paperclip on a keyed mains supply output without first checking the pin-outs with the multimeter he has, or even looking at the wire colour coding? Powering it up in the first place without giving the internals a check after it's been in storage for 30 years? Crazy.

Appallingly stupid. I did like how he finished the video with a quip about hoping things go better the next time Computer Reset calls him. Like there's going to be a next time once they see that video.

EpicCodeMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 26, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I already saw this. Why did you make me think about it again? :(

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Here's this mysterious cable I don't understand the wiring on"

It's blue, green/yellow and brown. Commonly accepted colours for neutral, earth, live. Why did that guy think that a chunky flex cable was just a switch line?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, that was really baffling especially when a video literally from a week before shows him doing competent electric work on his new shed (at least to a layman). How the hell do you gently caress that up?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
At least he didn't gently caress with that brand new looking Model M keyboard, I guess.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I knew of a few places like Computer Reset, but none that made it through the 2010’s. That and the sheer size of the place is why it’s so unique.

I think they’re just happy to exchange money for new old stock, TBQH.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

K8.0 posted:

MKB on the other hand, I don't understand how anyone can watch. Guy's had no problem exposing himself as willing to openly shill for outright scammers, IDK how anyone can bother watching anything he does after that.
The guy never has a strong opinion about anything.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the idea he only turned bad a year ago is pretty ludicrous.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

surprised he's not packing heat for his jog

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FuturePastNow posted:

surprised he's not packing heat for his jog

Probably concealed.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

YouTube continually puts this video in my recommends and the utter banality of the picture always makes me smile.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some Goon posted:

Probably concealed.

zap carry :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In terms of other keyboard playing retro computer youtubers, I've recently started watching Tech Tangents, a nice sub 100k channel who has some interesting stuff / makes good background noise in COVID times. Would have a great voice for a greybeard. Haven't looked at his social media so objectionableness is unknown.