Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Grendels Dad posted:

They probably don't know that because the financial failure of his DC movies has been vastly overblown.

Also, there was a movement with public awareness asking for this to be made, I don't see where the problem is. The argument about indy movies not being made because of this is loving idiotic and people actually actively opposed to the project are just weird.

Joss Whedon is a jackass so if they want to excise his poo poo from the film then more power to them. I'm not a fan of Zack Snyder's work, but I know he went through some Raw loving poo poo fairly recently so if he wants to go through with this then I won't begrudge him for it and if they want to give him a shitload of money to make it happen then that's their problem, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

dr_rat posted:

I mean they may be desperate for more content, but couldn't they of gotten more content from like anyone but Snyder?

Like they must know by now what a mistake it was to give him control of the DC films.

Between now and the eventual release of ZSJL , they have loads of series and movies debuting.

And to many people this is WB attempting to make money out of fixing their mismanagement of the DCEU.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Swamp Thing sitting in his bog sadly watching his future piss away

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dr_rat posted:

I mean they may be desperate for more content, but couldn't they of gotten more content from like anyone but Snyder?

Like they must know by now what a mistake it was to give him control of the DC films.

lol. This idea that a franchise that has yet to produce an actual flop is somehow a massive money loser for them is kind of amazing. It just gets repeated, year on year, no matter how absurd it is.

My apologies, Birds of Prey was actually a flop. Sort of, well...it probably broke about even. There you go.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 25, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

lol. This idea that a franchise that has yet to produce an actual flop is somehow a massive money loser for them is kind of amazing. It just gets repeated, year on year, no matter how absurd it is.

My apologies, Birds of Prey was actually a flop. Sort of, well...it probably broke about even. There you go.

Birds of Prey was pretty cheap IIRC.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's not that it's a strict binary between flop and hit. It's about expectations and what they want out of it. The DCEU hasn't lost money, but BvS for example, fell below expectations, falling behind four seperate talking animal films, a Star Wars spin off, and a Marvel film. They expected their film featuring the two most famous superheroes ever to hit a billion and it didn't, which probably became worrying to shareholders or whoever as they were building an entire web of connected films out of it. They panicked, and then the rest of it happened.

Personally, I find the whole opening weekend focus paradigm not great for films anyway as it frontloads marketing as opposed to word of mouth etc. If I was King of the world (and I will be) I'd make it law that cinemas could only show one film per screen, so a multiplex with ten screens would have to show ten films. Then there would always be a choice for audiences, studios would have to branch out into the mid-budgets to fill those extra screens and the big blockbusters would have to be really good as they wouldn't be able to frontload their audiences into the opening weekend and word of mouth would more dictate their success.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 25, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Swamp Thing sitting in his bog sadly watching his future piss away

afaik Swamp Thing got hosed because the louisiana film commission took some major budget cuts while they were in the middle of production, and it basically resulted in half their financing going down the drain. it's absolutely a :capitalism: situation, but it's one that i can't honestly say is WB's fault without knowing their financials (and specifically how much they were contributing to the show vs. how much the state of louisiana was) and whether it would have actually made any kind of financial sense, especially in the Before Times, for WB to pick up the slack themselves for the long term.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For anyone who cares they dug up another WNUF tape and hope to have it available to the public Fall 2021.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

For anyone who cares they dug up another WNUF tape and hope to have it available to the public Fall 2021.

That movie was great but hopefully, they won't overdo it with the fake ads this time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AceOfFlames posted:

That movie was great but hopefully, they won't overdo it with the fake ads this time.

Those ads ARE the movie. The news broadcast is the framing device for them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

The only financial disappointments in the DCEU have all happened after Snyder left.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Maxwell Lord posted:

Birds of Prey was pretty cheap IIRC.

It’s also the most enjoyable superhero movie over the last coupla years.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you leave out Into the Spider-Verse, sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you leave out Into the Spider-Verse, sure.

:hai: Spider-Verse is so good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Cool, now tell me how many starving African children the money could feed.

A lot, I bet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ooh yes!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

A lot, I bet.

If Hollywood gets to do its accounting magic the children will remain hungry and might have to pay Hollywood back some money for accounting expenses.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to the article, the 70 million is for the entire project, not just shooting additional material.

And it's not like the money is just going into a grinder that produces a movie at the other end - it's paying the bills of people that otherwise wouldn't have work because nobody's been filming anything for the past 6 months.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Robot Style posted:

According to the article, the 70 million is for the entire project, not just shooting additional material.

And it's not like the money is just going into a grinder that produces a movie at the other end - it's paying the bills of people that otherwise wouldn't have work because nobody's been filming anything for the past 6 months.

Yeah, but on the other hand giving the money to indie directors means one of them is bound to make a successful movie, and then Disney can hire them to make a Marvel movie. DC/WB/Zack Snyder personally are robbing us of the potential next director for Dr. Strange 3!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand giving the money to indie directors means one of them is bound to make a successful movie, and then Disney can hire them to make a Marvel movie. DC/WB/Zack Snyder personally are robbing us of the potential next director for Dr. Strange 3!
[/

[quote="Grendels Dad" post="508367876"]
Sam Raimi getting a new Marvel movie is worth a lot of dead indie projects.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Remulak posted:

That's Doctor Strange 2. I'm talking about the sequel to that, which I'm pretty sure Raimi wont direct.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

The new "Rated X by an All-White Jury," truly.

Hopefully Antebellum doesn’t have any scenes of a woman raping a kid played by the director’s son!

Iron Crowned posted:

You know what I've awlays wanted in a video game? A mechanic where you have to keep yourself a certain level of stoned/drunk/high/generally hosed up the whole time.

I think in Postal 2, you can smoke enough crack where if you don’t continue smoking, you experience withdrawal.

Remulak posted:

A Disney Marvel movie, which will likely have all the life sucked out of it by a company that won’t rock the boat in any way, shape, or form. The best outcome of Dr. Strange 2 would be Sam Raimi getting enough clout to make another weirdo horror movie like Drag Me To Hell.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I like how people assume Raimi + Dr. Strange will turn out great, when the last time Raimi hopped onto an odd project for Disney we got - yes, this did come out, although god knows no one has thought of or spoke of it in the last seven years - Oz The Great and Powerful.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

I like how people assume Raimi + Dr. Strange will turn out great, when the last time Raimi hopped onto an odd project for Disney we got - yes, this did come out, although god knows no one has thought of or spoke of it in the last seven years - Oz The Great and Powerful.

That movie was basically an Army of Darkness remake.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

That movie was basically an Army of Darkness remake.

You're making me want to watch it :argh:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I liked it ok although I didn't like how the witch turned evil, even though it was kind of a foregone conclusion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

You're making me want to watch it :argh:

It’s fine! It’s a kids version of Army of Darkness. It has a Raimi witch fight and some fun bits. Kind of messy but whatever.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Cameo posted:

It was perfectly watchable, not great but I didn't regret my ticket

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I sort of lumped that movie in with the Tim Burton wonderland movies, since, judging only from the trailers, they seemed visually indistinct.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Little bit. But you get some fun raimisims which is what I live for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45SSIE36bw

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I sort of lumped that movie in with the Tim Burton wonderland movies, since, judging only from the trailers, they seemed visually indistinct.

A mistake. Oz was much better. I haven't seen it since it came out but remember really enjoying it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

GTA: VC has you getting drunk with idk Gary Busey or something and then drive

Getting drunk or high has been a staple of the GTA games post-Vice City, and, by extension, the first two Saints Row games, since you could heal quicker or resist damage more if you were drinking alcohol or smoking pot. You could even take it to excess and end up with the screen all woozy and sloshing around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is Tommy doesn't even drink the booze, Boomshine is just that potent he gets hosed up off the fumes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

It's not that it's a strict binary between flop and hit. It's about expectations and what they want out of it.

Yeah, those expectations are stupid and Warner's executive board are demonstrably idiots.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Karloff posted:

A mistake. Oz was much better. I haven't seen it since it came out but remember really enjoying it.

I enjoyed it too. To be fair to Mila Kunis while she was severely miscast, she did her best. She was really trying with that cackle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oz The Great And Powerful was a good movie. One where if someone didn't know Raimi directed, probably would chuckle at some of the cribbed Raimisms and Army of Darkness similarities. It's precisely why I was pretty apathetic at the Dr Strange 2 news.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the scene where the good witch and Oz are reversing his personal narrative, turning his weakness (ie not really being what he says he is) into a strength - "You're a liar!" "The worst!" "You're a charlatan!" "AN EXPERT Charlatan!" kind of thing where they are realising that his biggest strength is how good he is at lying. Them loving in the projection booth at the end was also pretty funny.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So this is where that movie went.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

An Ok movie with some Raiminisms: The level of expectation we are at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Raimi's Oz famously got hosed with by the studio in order to make it more Alice-like. Apparently the original script was terrific.

Which, yeah I mean Marvel can and will do.