Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ContextEvil/status/1306600789687889922

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What the gently caress is with this shower room? Eight zombies and a licker next door? Do I roll a grenade down like a ball to an infant?

I'm guessing the downtown bit up the breaker maze is as close as it gets to the Spencer Mansion/RPD from the prior games. The game could have gotten away some padding because it's strange how fast the rooms turn blue.

I think the Evil Within 2 should be considered when adding open areas to a linear campaign in future horror games. The Evil Within 2 had three open chapters: after the prologue, before the midpoint boss, before the endgame. It didn't frontload too much of its content and it's narrative never lost momentum. It helps to sell the horrific setting as any places you return to become even more hostile before falling apart, while your allies are whittled down to nothing.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 24, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Got the Revelations games on Switch. I’m excited to finally try them since I know pretty much nothing about them other than playing a demo of 1 on 3DS years ago.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think the first open world section of TEW2 was absolutely the best part of the game and everything else is a gradual slope into disappointment, although i would say overall i like the game.

the second and third open areas are much less open, with the third being very nearly a monster arena. i get the context of the narrative blah blah, but i think they kind of dropped the ball on level design and pacing compared to the first. there's really not much exploration to speak of in the latter two.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I am upset I slept on RE7 as long as I did. Got all the unlockables except infinite ammo so far, just need to do Madhouse for that. This might be the second Playstation 4 game I platinum (first was Bloodstained, but Horizon Zero Dawn is just a few hunting grounds short)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it worth not picking up stuff in the hospital as Carlos? Does any of his stuff go to Jill?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

Seriously, though, was that cover actually used? Just an intense close-up up Claire's face?

yup thats the X version cover alright for ps2/gamecube. the dreamcast original just had claire and chris on the cover with a spooky hallway in the background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it worth not picking up stuff in the hospital as Carlos? Does any of his stuff go to Jill?

No. Get everything because Jill will have different pickups

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ImpAtom posted:

No. Get everything because Jill will have different pickups

We've come a long way since Code Veronica.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Medullah posted:

Man I am upset I slept on RE7 as long as I did. Got all the unlockables except infinite ammo so far, just need to do Madhouse for that. This might be the second Playstation 4 game I platinum (first was Bloodstained, but Horizon Zero Dawn is just a few hunting grounds short)

Madhouse is loving rough, good luck

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

klapman posted:

Madhouse is loving rough, good luck

Yeah was reading up on it. Don't think I'll be getting this one. :D

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can do it but its absolute murder and you'll be counting your bullets.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
it aint that bad lol. its a fun remix. remember you can make the powered bullets and fix the first handgun and shotgun, which are way more powerful.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
if you can get past the first Mia fight it's not really terrible just harder, but that first fight is a real struggle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

it aint that bad lol. its a fun remix. remember you can make the powered bullets and fix the first handgun and shotgun, which are way more powerful.

Having the circular saw will help too I imagine. What's the consensus on guns, anyway? Is the repaired handgun (G17 I think?) better than the Albert?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

klapman posted:

if you can get past the first Mia fight it's not really terrible just harder, but that first fight is a real struggle

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I was greedy getting shots in, once I slowed down and just played grabass with her it wasn't too hard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Medullah posted:

Having the circular saw will help too I imagine. What's the consensus on guns, anyway? Is the repaired handgun (G17 I think?) better than the Albert?
The Albert is a murder machine and the circular saw can basically solo the entire game. If you want a reasonable challenge, you almost shouldn't use these even in Madhouse mode.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing I find impressive about Remake 2 and 3 is that they go all the way to have supporting characters complete with unique models and voice-actors, and they're only in the game for no more than two minutes before getting squashed. They may appear again in the challenge-room stuff but there's no more story content. I guess I'm just used to RPGs where the same guy with a hoarse voice keeps popping up, with a new job and different facial-hair each time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean 3 probably could have used it’s resources better

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think it would've made much a difference in terms of budget, but I'd rather have had the entire early game instead of skipping basically straight to the tram part of the game than to have a half-dozen voice-acted throwaway NPCs, yeah.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Max Wilco posted:

*Capcom USA's Marketing Department, circa 2001*

No, that's a magazine ad for the PAL version; it's the PAL cover of CVX and it says "Capcom Europe" in the corner.

British magazines in the early 2000s were a super trip and a half, man.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wanderer posted:

No, that's a magazine ad for the PAL version; it's the PAL cover of CVX and it says "Capcom Europe" in the corner.

British magazines in the early 2000s were a super trip and a half, man.

Oh, well then just take what I wrote, and replace 'dollars' with 'euros' and 'KMart' with... I dunno, ASDA?

-

Anyway, I finished Leon's campaign in RE2.

I dunno if a C-Rank is really bad, or on par for your first time through. I thought to check my time between this and my run through RE1 as Jill, and I also had 14 saves. The game gives you a lot Ink Ribbons, and there's not much distance between typewriters. I probably could have skipped a couple, but I was worried about dying and having to go through cutscenes again. My time was an hour over the par for

I was worried about the game being harder than RE1, but I made it through to the end just fine. Admittedly, I was using a walkthrough, so that might have made it so I didn't have to backtrack as much, and thus, I was able to conserve ammo and healing items. The issue with following the walkthrough, though, is that I think I ended up skipping over a few (probably inconsequential) things. I found a cord in the police station, which I figured would connect to the shutter controls for the windows, but the guide never said anything about using them. I also found a flamethrower in the Umbrella lab, but I never picked it up.

One of the things that amused me was how when Annette confronts Ada, and brings up the connection from RE1, citing how that was his password. I find it funny because A.) John's password was apparently common knowledge, and B.) none of the other Umbrella staff took issue with the fact that one of researchers secured his computer* vital for the biochemical weapons with a three-character password.

I am curious, though, as to how Ada, with a gunshot wound added atop earlier injuries, managed to survive that fall and make it into future games.

The only parts I found to be difficult was fighting Birkin. The fight with him on the descending train was a little annoying because it seems like he can corner you pretty well (though I suppose it depends on what side of him you run past). The first stage of the final fight with him is easy, since with the upgraded magnum, he takes like three shots. The second stage, though, was a little more dicey, since he can leap at you, and it seems like it's harder to line up shots at certain angles.

I think I might have screwed up with the save files, because when I got to the save menu after the stats screen, I saved over my file, thinking that it would be the endgame save for Leon. However, it overwrote that save with the Claire B save, so I don't know if I screwed up by not putting that on a separate file.

Regardless, I switched discs and started Claire's B game (I'm guessing that conversely, if you start a new game as Claire and beat the game, Leon also gets a "B" game that's different). I must have been getting tired at that point, because I ended up running into a couple of zombies and getting hit by crows and lickers trying to make it into the police station proper. I had my first run-in with the dreaded Mr.X. I had actually been wondering why I hadn't run into him earlier, and then I realized he probably only shows up in the subsequent run. I knew when he was coming up, since I was following the guide, but even with the grenade launcher prepped and acid rounds loaded, taking him down felt sketchy. I thought he would literally follow you through every room, and you just had to keep moving, but apparently not. :shrug: I guess he either only shows up at set intervals, or he disappears if you "defeat" him.

Claire substitute for the shotgun, the bow-gun, is weird. At first, I was confused why I seemed to be spending more ammo than I was shooting, and then I realized that it seems to shoot an arrow for every enemy that's in front of you. Even then, it seems like it will either stun them slightly, or completely neutralize them. I guess ideally, you launch an arrow into one, then finish it off with the pistol.

I finally ran into Chief Irons. He's...pretty much what I expected.

*Something I just remembered. One nice touch I liked about RE1 was during the bit where you need to enter the computer password to unlock the doors, because depending on who you're playing, they make a different gesture to confirm the doors have been unlocked

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in RE2/3, first aid sprays (but not herbs) will gently caress your rating every time you use one. So a C or lower is probably expected your first time through.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's pretty normal for a blind first run.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If anyone was curious about the Tokyo Game Show presentation on Village, the only thing they really said is they're trying to have it on PS4/XBone but can't make any promises. No real new footage, and all they talked about was how pretty the castle was

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, well then just take what I wrote, and replace 'dollars' with 'euros' and 'KMart' with... I dunno, ASDA?

-

Anyway, I finished Leon's campaign in RE2.

I dunno if a C-Rank is really bad, or on par for your first time through. I thought to check my time between this and my run through RE1 as Jill, and I also had 14 saves. The game gives you a lot Ink Ribbons, and there's not much distance between typewriters. I probably could have skipped a couple, but I was worried about dying and having to go through cutscenes again. My time was an hour over the par for

I was worried about the game being harder than RE1, but I made it through to the end just fine. Admittedly, I was using a walkthrough, so that might have made it so I didn't have to backtrack as much, and thus, I was able to conserve ammo and healing items. The issue with following the walkthrough, though, is that I think I ended up skipping over a few (probably inconsequential) things. I found a cord in the police station, which I figured would connect to the shutter controls for the windows, but the guide never said anything about using them. I also found a flamethrower in the Umbrella lab, but I never picked it up.

One of the things that amused me was how when Annette confronts Ada, and brings up the connection from RE1, citing how that was his password. I find it funny because A.) John's password was apparently common knowledge, and B.) none of the other Umbrella staff took issue with the fact that one of researchers secured his computer* vital for the biochemical weapons with a three-character password.

I am curious, though, as to how Ada, with a gunshot wound added atop earlier injuries, managed to survive that fall and make it into future games.

The only parts I found to be difficult was fighting Birkin. The fight with him on the descending train was a little annoying because it seems like he can corner you pretty well (though I suppose it depends on what side of him you run past). The first stage of the final fight with him is easy, since with the upgraded magnum, he takes like three shots. The second stage, though, was a little more dicey, since he can leap at you, and it seems like it's harder to line up shots at certain angles.

I think I might have screwed up with the save files, because when I got to the save menu after the stats screen, I saved over my file, thinking that it would be the endgame save for Leon. However, it overwrote that save with the Claire B save, so I don't know if I screwed up by not putting that on a separate file.

Regardless, I switched discs and started Claire's B game (I'm guessing that conversely, if you start a new game as Claire and beat the game, Leon also gets a "B" game that's different). I must have been getting tired at that point, because I ended up running into a couple of zombies and getting hit by crows and lickers trying to make it into the police station proper. I had my first run-in with the dreaded Mr.X. I had actually been wondering why I hadn't run into him earlier, and then I realized he probably only shows up in the subsequent run. I knew when he was coming up, since I was following the guide, but even with the grenade launcher prepped and acid rounds loaded, taking him down felt sketchy. I thought he would literally follow you through every room, and you just had to keep moving, but apparently not. :shrug: I guess he either only shows up at set intervals, or he disappears if you "defeat" him.

Claire substitute for the shotgun, the bow-gun, is weird. At first, I was confused why I seemed to be spending more ammo than I was shooting, and then I realized that it seems to shoot an arrow for every enemy that's in front of you. Even then, it seems like it will either stun them slightly, or completely neutralize them. I guess ideally, you launch an arrow into one, then finish it off with the pistol.

I finally ran into Chief Irons. He's...pretty much what I expected.

*Something I just remembered. One nice touch I liked about RE1 was during the bit where you need to enter the computer password to unlock the doors, because depending on who you're playing, they make a different gesture to confirm the doors have been unlocked

The bow gun fires 3 bolts in a spread pattern for every shot. So the 18 in the inventory screen is actually only 6. Since it’s a spread pattern the only way to get all 3 bolts into something is at close range but that will kill a zombie in 1 hit.

Up until REmake2 the “canon” run was Claire A/Leon B because of reasons such as Ada. Besides item placement there’s some significant differences in how everything plays out at the end compared to Leon A/Claire B.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Silent Hill just getting more content, nothing to see here or anything, nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmExqm36fg

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1309489085405229056

I can't stop imagining Mary's letter now, only it's Chris writing to Ethan. "In my restless dreams, I see my nephew. Yours and Claire's son."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

God dammit Konami just option SH to Capcom

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Medullah posted:

God dammit Konami just option SH to Capcom

Ew no, I wouldn't trust Capcom with that license at all

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey come on the dude who made Silent Hill is still around making games over at Sony. Like half the Silent Hill reboot rumors going around right now are just "Toyama + Sony Japan Studio reboot."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
At this point, I'd only trust any developer with Silent Hill if the director of the project was willing to write an 800-word essay on Silent Hill 2, why it was effective, and what its storyline actually was.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

(I'm guessing that conversely, if you start a new game as Claire and beat the game, Leon also gets a "B" game that's different).

yes and you should also do this because its a different game/story mostly in the back half. its also long been considered that claire A - leon B is the "canon" or closet to canon events.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Silent Hill just getting more content, nothing to see here or anything, nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmExqm36fg

lol. at this point even im 98% sure that japan studio rumour is still true, even more so after ff16. ps5 sh has been in dev since 2019 apparently. its gotta be true. :pray:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RealFoxy posted:

If anyone was curious about the Tokyo Game Show presentation on Village, the only thing they really said is they're trying to have it on PS4/XBone but can't make any promises.

Man, I hope so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol. at this point even im 98% sure that japan studio rumour is still true, even more so after ff16. ps5 sh has been in dev since 2019 apparently. its gotta be true. :pray:

There were rumors of it being announced with the PS5 launch stream, and when the RE 8 trailer started you hear foghorns in the distance and I was like "HERE WE GOOOOOOO"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

At this point, I'd only trust any developer with Silent Hill if the director of the project was willing to write an 800-word essay on Silent Hill 2, why it was effective, and what its storyline actually was.

okay but what about their thoughts on circumcision

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

site posted:

okay but what about their thoughts on circumcision

Oh god not this

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wanderer posted:

I'm convinced that not even Silent Hill fans know what they want with Silent Hill anymore. One side will enjoy the cult stuff while the other side likes the whole psychological aspect. I guess I'm the former because I enjoyed Silent Hill 1 and 3 the most.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Welcome to my TED Talk, I'm Policenaut and today I'd like to begin my presentation of why Silent Hill 2 was so good that it ultimately killed the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I'm halfway convinced at this point that if Silent Hill 2 was released for the first time today, as-is with the same plot, people would hate it.